Start by marking “Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today” as Want to Read:
Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today

Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  26,569 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
Contains a mix of recipe classics with other recipes that focus on health, speed, ease and popular cooking methods such as slow cookers, as well as a presentation of essential cooking information, to reflect the way we cook.
Published August 1st 2005 by Betty Crocker (first published 1969)

karen
Apr 08, 2014 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eats, favorites
this is my mom's cookbook. when i was little, i would spend hours playing with it while she cooked, and pretending her little spice jars were people having adventures. but mostly, reading this and admiring the pictures. i left it behind in my moving-out-of-brooklyn haste years ago, and i came across it at a used bookshop sunday. so even though it is not "her" copy, and it doesn't have all of the great handwritten notes, i can still sit here on the floor with it and play with my spices and preten ...more
Jackie
Jun 09, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who cooks or wants to cook
I have a dozens cookbooks, but I have to say that this one is the one that gets pulled out most often. It's tried, true and a dear friend to me in the kitchen. I will keep it until it has to be pried from my cold, dead hands.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Apr 07, 2010 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are just learning to cook or want to learn basic cooking
This is a must have cookbook for every kitchen. I collect cookbooks, but this is the only one I actually use semi-regularly. (I like cooking, but I just don't do it all that much, with my schedule.)

It has the basic recipes that will get a novice started. I use the Scones recipe on page 40, but I add dried cherries or blueberries. I also use this to make gumbo with a few modifications. I also learned to make Chicken Pot Pie using this cookbook.

I can't give this five stars because the food tends t
Karen
Dec 28, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost everything I know about cooking, I learned from this book years ago. I still use it often. It is the best cookbook. I own, and I own over 240 cookbooks.
Elisa
Aug 12, 2009 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-baking
The beauty of this book is that there truly is something for everyone.If you are a beginner you will find everything you need to know, even if you start out knowing absolutely nothing!If you have been cooking for sometime you will review things you hadn't used for so long you'd forgotten them. If you have been cooking for many years, it's just like an old friend who shares her best recipes with you . Trust me , as one of those that have been cooking for a good many years , if it isn't in this bo ...more
Dec 05, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Although I wouldn't recommend this book for general, every day reading unless you're fond of lists and instructions this is my go-to cookbook for absolutely everything. All the recipes that I cook regularly are from this cookbook, and all my family favourites are from here as well. Perfect for all the original, homestyle cooking recipes.
If you're looking for something a little more adventurous in your cooking this book probably isn't for you, but if you want a good general cookbook this is the
Denae
Nov 13, 2011 Denae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more recent update of Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, this was a gift from my grandmother when I moved into my first apartment. It has a number of recipes for artisanal breads that are fantastic. Overall, I've enjoyed most of the things I've made from it, but it does not quite hold up to its predecessors in my opinion.
Jamie
Apr 05, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s a reason my mom still has her Betty Crocker’s Cookbook that was given to her as a wedding present. Even after 34 years, this cookbook is still helpful and useful. The recipes are easy-to-follow; explanations are given for cooking and food terms. Some of my favorite features are the tabs that make it easy to find different sections as well as the fact that this cookbook is ring-bound. A ring-bound cookbook lies flat when opened, so I don’t have to worry about trying to hold my place on a ...more
Morgan
Jan 06, 2009 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have managed to obtain my mother's copy of this book (okay...I stole it and she has yet to beg for it back) and it is a definate go-to in my kitchen. It gives the basics and has some great recipes (enchiladas, mac and cheese, meatloaf, etc.). The only fault I have with this book is it's a little out of date. Honestly, I can't say that I have seen monosodium glutamate on the ingredient lists in my other cookbooks.
Denae
Nov 13, 2011 Denae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The other Betty Crocker cookbook that dominated my early cooking. Also fantastic, this cookbook has a number of excellent recipes I adore and some that simply amuse me. The first list contains pancakes, waffles, any of the cakes, and meatloaf. The second contains any sort of jello or fruit mold and fondue. Food trends are kind of amazing.
Dorena
Mar 03, 2010 Dorena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have my grandma's cookbook that she used. Timeless recipes.
Lynda
May 11, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite cookbooks. I have 5 editions.
leena_abate
Feb 07, 2011 leena_abate rated it really liked it
If you're a beginner/intermediate cook and you need to make something for a dinner party/bake sale/potluck, this is a good resource. It probably won't be the best cake/dip/casserole your guests have ever tasted, but it won't embarrass you, either.

Organized layout, binding that lays flat. Lower-fat recipes/modifications. And yes! the ever-in-demand nutritional information (true, some of these serving sizes are a little on the skimpy side to keep the calorie counts down, but at least they tried).
Cheryl Scott
Mar 17, 2014 Cheryl Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This was the first cookbook I had that was my very own and not my mom's. It's a sentimental favorite as well as a solid basic cookbook.

I still prepare many dishes from this book, as I have they are always enjoyed, not to mention that I have the recipes memorized!

I love to cook, eat and entertain, and I cherish this book, which launched my 'solo' cooking life.

5 stars for substance and sentiment
Daniel
Apr 09, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I've had this cookbook since college, and still use it more than any other. It's certainly not the most contemporary cookbook ever published, nor are its recipes particularly interesting, but all the basics are here. Need to remind yourself how long to cook eggs to hardboil them? It's there. What temperature to cook chicken breasts at? It's in there too. There also good, basic recipes for things like chocolate-chip cookies, though many of them need to be modified a bit for today's kitchens. (Doe ...more
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
All kinds of great basics in here, ranging from super simple for fairly complicated. The easy ones are clearly marked for non-cooks. All easy to understand and follow. Most of the recipes are pretty simple, and there is nothing intimidating in here. Avoids the worst excesses of can-opener gourmandism and foodie craziness.
Tlingit
Mar 26, 2014 Tlingit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good edition for the general cook. There are hints and extraneous information that can be interesting if you are bored and flipping through the pages just reading this cookbook like a regular book. If you are using it solely as reference you'll probably miss some good help and techniques for cooking.
Vicki
Oct 30, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
This was one of the first cookbooks I ever really looked at with any scrutiny. I think my Grandma had two copies, and she let me take one. I used to just take it down and read it -- it was so dated looking. Avocado and orange, to say nothing of the instructions -- every man takes his eggs in a different way, and it behooves a good wife to learn how to cook them the way her husband likes best! Something like that. Something secretly awesome. There's lots of great recipes in here -- they hold up w ...more
Kristen Lesperance
I am a cookbook addict. I love them so much and with all the cookbooks I own. (Which is a lot) this shares the spot for number one. I love the pictures, the recipes, the directions, everything. If you are a beginner I promise this book will give you the confidence you need to cook.
Jo
This is at least the third copy of the Betty Crockers Cookbook with a five ring binder that I have owned over the years. I use it as my go-to cookbook for all my basic recipes and love it dearly. I was happy to get this newer addition as a gift from one of my daughters.
Chris
Jan 25, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you thought the 1980's copy of the book Betty Crocker put out had lots of recipes, look into buying this newest copy of the book. Although now ring-bound, this "book" contains more than just recipes. It also contains information on how to use the tools you'll need the most in the kitchen to cook/bake these recipes, along with how to chop/manage your food pieces and preparational steps. It's entirely good. This book even has those simple recipes most people never want to miss (such as "French ...more
Lil
Aug 31, 2015 Lil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a life-saver. It's great because it pretty much assumes you know nothing on cooking, which was kind of me, until this book stumbled upon my life, and now I make copious amounts of banana bread.
Dorothy Kirtley
Mar 18, 2014 Dorothy Kirtley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used over and over for 30 years was one of my very first cookbooks. This and Cooking for Two... Glad I kept them earmarked written in and drawn in by my children... We are back to two and it's still good!
Lisa
Jan 26, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great basic cookbook for all. I love that is spiral bound which makes it so much easier to use. Lots of great recipes with good directions. I like the make it your own recipes.
Angie
May 31, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I got this when I first moved out on my own. It has been a constant go - to. Simple, basic, easy to follow recipes. There is even a picture of boiling water! Fool proof guide!
Tricia M.S.
Jun 24, 2013 Tricia M.S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my cherished "go to" cookbook. I have replaced it, gifted it and throughly used this cookbook to the point that I have taped the covers back onto the book ... again. I found this to be a constant in an ever-changing world. It has splatters, stains and margin notes all the way through the book. I get lots of compliments on the cookies that I make every year. One of my favorite cookie is the pumpking cookie on page 267. Even my kids like them & request them anytime they know they are c ...more
Amanda Maldonado
I have had this cookbook for a long time and I think I use it weekly. It is a wonderful reference for the seasoned cook, but clear enough for a beginner.
Ashley
Jul 07, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My great grandmother passed this down to me, the recipes are a bit dated, but it's really great to see how food has transformed!
Shannon
Mar 22, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Finally, a cookbook that tells me how to boil water. HA! Seriously, I learned of this from a lovely lady at a cooking class. She said this is the one you start with. She was right.
Mar 14, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 2011
I've had *significantly* better luck with the baking recipes in this cookbook than the cooking recipes/dinners. It's really a lovely cookbook though...fun to flip through, and filled with lots of reference-type stuff. Granted, most conversions and how-to tips I Google rather than reference, but I did find a handy vegetable-cooking chart during my recent read-through that I think I should take advantage of more. And I looooove that it's bound to lie flat while you cook, I wish all cooking/craftin ...more
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • 30-Minute Meals 2
  • The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook
  • The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Paula Deen & Friends: Paula Deen & Friends
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company
  • Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book