Start by marking “Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?: An Easy Plan for Losing Weight and Living More” as Want to Read:

Diets don't work. Why not? Because they focus on what foods we should and shouldn't eat but completely ignore everything else that makes us fat. Look at your own situation: You say you want to lose weight, but you just can't stop indulging. You say you'd exercise more if only you had the time, yet you spend precious hours every night in front of the TV doing what? Munching ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?

Dogdaysinaz
Aug 16, 2012 Dogdaysinaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, heard
When I started listening to the book, it seemed pretty simple. As I continued to listen, I found that it IS simple, but it reminds the listener of things we know, but don't know. I found parts of the book powerful enough that I would listen to this book again.

This is not a diet book--it is about my relationship with my body. *sigh* I do not have a good relationship with my body. But I do know, more or less, how I want to live--I want to live a healthy, active life. And that is his focus.

I would
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
I picked this book up on a whim - just for curiosity's sake from the local library while I was on an organization kick. I thought it might be helpful. It mostly wasn't, only on a very basic level (I am an organized person whom was looking for more advanced tips, I am also not overweight.) So, if you want a kick in the seat because you are very unorganized and/or overweight then its a book for you. From the title is is obvious that the author makes the assumption that people (specifically women) ...more
Allison Elliott
This book is good for getting the common sense aspects of losing weight and changing lifestyle slapped into your brain. When I was losing weight, the things he describes as advice were exactly the things working for me, and when I wasn't losing weight, the obstacles were also similar to his description.

But, like most self-help books, it eats a bit like dry toast. I found myself skimming chapters thinking "I already know all of this". I would use this book again in the future to remind myself of
Tarah
Aug 22, 2008 Tarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and thought it made perfect sense. I felt it was very redundant at times...repeating itself constantly. It's a book that will motivate you to do something about all the crap you have built up in your home and in your body. I think I would personally enjoy his first book better. I understand it concentrates more on how to organize the clutter than on coorelating my clutter to my butt.
Amy
May 16, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "voice" of Peter Walsh, for me, is just amazing. His books help me put my whole life in perspective and make me feel like I can deal with any mess life throws at me, while digging out of the messes I am already in. This is his second book and it deals more with "life clutter" where is first book dealt with "real actual clutter". I recommend them both to anyone feeling slightly to completely overwhelmed by clutter of any kind.
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book goes beyond Peter Walsh's "It's All Too Much". In that book he focused on the clutter in our homes. This time he deals with that clutter first and then on how it affects our "butts." He maintains that if our lives are filled with clutter then our eating habits are probably chaotic and filled with excess and junk too.

Walsh delves into the kitchen to clear it of useless gadgets and food clutter.

I especially like Walsh's one size does NOT fit all approach, "You'll notice that I'm not bein
Clair
Aug 30, 2008 Clair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book focuses on the connection of clutter in our homes and the extra pounds we carry around on our bodies. Walsh says he was inspired to write this book after receiving many letters from clients who mentioned that after they got their homes in order, their bodies more willingly followed.

I think it is right on in that different areas of our life are all connected. It has always been obvious to me that our spiritual well-being and our physical-well being are intertwined. Walsh points out tha
Kathleen Nightingale
This was a quick read for me. I read it and only became aware of it because one of my favourite book club ladies read it. I found myself taking notes and commending on it to another friend. I totally loved Walsh's sentence ... "We know how to eat--eating is the mechanical action of placing food into your mouth, chewing and swallowing it. But isn't that exactly what you pet does? If there isn't a significant difference between how your pet eats and how you consume food, then something is seriousl ...more
Martha
May 12, 2009 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book even though somehow, from the title, I did not realize that the book was about weight problems and how they relate to our need to keep clutter. I was reading more for the clutter advice and not for the weight advice so there were parts and chapters in the beginning that I skimmed or skipped. But, towards the end there were very practical issues he addressed about food and eating that are good for anyone looking to eat a little better, simplify the process of food (getting, buyi ...more
Karen
Jun 08, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read self help books and I only picked this one up because I have It's All Too Much on my To-read list and recognized the author's name. I've been reading it a bit at a time - it's sorta boring and repeats the same info over and over. Oddly, it seems to be working because I seem to have internalized the message about not "cluttering" my body. The book seems to relate how people who have cluttered homes and cluttered, disorganized lives can also have a weight problem, derived from the sa ...more
Catherine Gillespie
I can’t remember how I first heard of Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?: An Easy Plan for Losing Weight and Living More but I definitely picked it up because the title made me laugh.

If you’ve read a lot of fitness and organizing books, there won’t be a lot of groundbreaking information in this volume, but the author’s spin on getting rid of clutter and weight is interesting. He draws the connection between the way you feel when you live in a cluttered environment (constant low grade stres
Cheri
Dec 28, 2010 Cheri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at my Mother's house and read it on the ride home from Christmas. There is some good advice and I like his straight-forwardness, but I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. I love the title though, it is what made me pick it up.

I'm pretty good about my house clutter. Did a BIG de-cluttering this past Spring, but it is always good to be reminded adn I certainly could do more. My food clutter was more what I was interested in and it is just common sense information.
Janis
Jul 04, 2010 Janis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I placed holds on several of Peter Walsh's books after spotting this one on the recent books section of my library. Walsh was (is?) on the clutter-clearing show Clean Sweep, which I have never seen. I was assuming that this book was about clearing clutter in one's home, as I'd read about the relationship between a cluttered home and being overweight.

This book is actually about losing weight. The idea is to make your home, and your behaviors, not sabotage weight-loss efforts. I actually set it as
Cory
Oct 30, 2008 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Peter Walsh says both "It's not about the diet, it's about the decision" and "It's not about losing weight, it's about living your life." That's what makes this book interesting . . . it's a weight loss book that contains no meal plans, no exercise regimes, and no recipes. Instead, his focus is on setting up your kitchen/pantry/schedule so that you can have the life you want to lead. He helps you to get organized so that you can be happy. It's all about making choices so that your ...more
Audrey
Jun 10, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My control-freak issues make me fat??? Holy crap. The control tendencies I had earlier in life kept me far too thin and have now made me far too fat. This book actually gave me many points to consider about why I eat what I eat and how much I eat, even why I buy the things I buy, hold on to the crap I keep. Unfortunately, I did add to my book addiction (one problem I'd already realized and of which I'd recognized the source) by taking this copy back to the library and buying my own copy of this ...more
Kate M
Of course it was the title that got me with this book, but it was a nice change from "you should eat more fruits and veggies." It was a quick read, and I skimmed over much of it (since a lot was large-print "letters from readers" and I only skimmed responses).

There were some good points in this short overview of how to declutter your life and body, including to celebrate each of your meals, and to establish goals for your body and your home and to work from there (anything that doesn't fit with
Marge
This book has a new look at clutter in your life resulting in clutter in your body (fat)..My favorite part was his request that I define my ideal life and later to define my ideal body. Keeping these ideals in mind when I make choices of what to get rid of, what to organize, what to buy and what to eat. This is no diet. Just a demand that we simplify our lives and when our house is in order, the weight will fall away too. It didn't work that way for me. It was a fun read with good information.
Annmarie
For a book about reducing clutter and fat there was an awful lot of filler. I thought i had lost track of where I was in the book several times as he kept repeating himself for the sake of repeating himself.

There are some really helpful strategies in this book, but I found it more geared towards families with big homes than a single girl in an apartment.

There is also a lot of tough love that may or may not be your style. Overall worth the read, but be prepared it is not a one-size-fits-all kind
Liz
Jan 05, 2009 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty simple advise. Clutter makes you fat. It stresses you out and makes your life miserable. The less the better your life. The more time you can devote to yourself. Clutter prevents you from finding those jogging shoes and running shorts. I know I can never do anything productive until I clean my apartment. I was the same way in college and in childhood. Not that my clutter free life has made me start running again... I still understand where he's going with this book. I would recommend ...more
Julie
Sep 30, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed motivation to clean up some of the clutter in my kitchen and this book was perfect! Peter Walsh gives good practical advice in a funny no-nonsense way. End result - I spent a day cleaning out the kitchen pantry and shelves, filled the recycle bin and garbage can, have another box to donate and have a much cleaner kitchen.

Not quite a diet book, but good motivation for cleaning up physical (or mental) clutter. Now if I only drop 7 pounds...
LKM
Oct 25, 2013 LKM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I musn't have been paying attention, because I totally didn't -really- expect this book to be about weight loss when I started it. Buuut I was quite happy with it. Yes, it's simple, basic, doesn't say anything new that someone who's been digging into organization and/or weight loss and/or fitness/life improvement doesn't know, but it gathers all those simple tips in one place and reminds you of them.
Pretty nice, and pretty logical.
Lost In A Fog
The short answer to the title question is, well, yeah.

Peter Walsh does a nice job of walking readers through the process of thinking about the why of our clutter as opposed to just the how-to-get-rig-of-it. With lots of notes from readers/viewers of the TV show he makes some solid points.

My favorite is that you should arrange your house so it fits with the life you want to live. I'll try that!
Robin
This book inspired me to clean out my clutter! I think the weight and the clutter have gone hand-in-hand for me lately. Although some aspects of it did not apply to me (I do use my kitchen and dining room for their designated uses. My husband and I do not rely on take-out and only VERY occasionally get fast food) for the most part, this book is helping me focus on what is important: living my life and not focusing on accumulating stuff and overeating!
Lexi
Whoo hoo, a book that brings my two biggest flaws together--collecting and eating! This is a light "self-help" sort of read that offers a combination of common sense we all know with strategies to actually attain our goals.

Number 1: NO TV!!!

I have decluttered and rearranged my kitchen and am enjoying preparing meals there for the first time in a long time. I'm looking into Walsh's other books for more home reducing strategies.
Lesley Looper
I was a little skeptical when I first started listening to this audiobook, but well before the end, I was enjoying most of the advice and tips. My main gripe was that he kept referring back to things in a pdf file, quizzes to take, things like that. I listened to this in my car, so I never tried to find that pdf file at home.
Erin
Feb 16, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really read this because I'm obese or anything, but I am feeling very cluttered right now, and like I'm gaining some weight. And guess what, the two are definitely related. Gave me some things to think about, and I've already made some major strides on the apartment that was getting out of hand with my hectic life lately...and gave me some room to get back to doing my exercising!
Jason Todd Ipson
Mar 15, 2012 Jason Todd Ipson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I liked this book a lot. I have now read three of Peter's books. What I liked the most about this book is how he draws the parallel between our bodies and our houses. When you look around at your house and see that it is filled with clutter, it is disgusting. Well, when you think of your body and what you're putting into it in a similar way - it certainly motivates me!
Liz
May 11, 2016 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was more of a skim than a read. I was attracted to the title, and the fact that I’m an avid organizer and declutterer who always needs to lose weight was the reason. Basically, this is one of those fill out the questionnaire and explore your psyche self-help books, the sort of thing that I always pick up and find boring and unnecessary. Bleh.
Peggy
Mar 03, 2011 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very different book which compares the clutter inside us to the clutter around us. He examines the relationship between our bodies and our stuff and how organization can help us to change our attitude about ourselves and our lives. There are some good points in here, but at times, I thought it was a bit much.
Holly
Jan 20, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is perfect for someone who is both fat and overwhelmed with clutter. As I am neither, I found it mind-numbingly dull. I was expecting a little more in terms of de-cluttering/organizing tips, but instead it was mostly telling the reader how the clutter in their life is helping to make them fat. I guess I should be happy that I DON'T need this book.
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Body Clutter: Love Your Body, Love Yourself
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home and Life
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
  • Your Spacious Self: Clear the Clutter and Discover Who You Are
  • The Weight-Loss Diaries
  • Organize Now!: A Week-by-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life
  • Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home: No-Nonsense Advice that Will Inspire You to CLEAN like the DICKENS
19313
Born and raised in Australia, Peter moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to launch a corporation to help organizations improve employee’s job satisfaction and effectiveness. He considers himself to be part-contractor, part-therapist in his approach to helping individuals attain their goals.

When not wading through clutter and large-scale disorganization, Peter divides his time between his work in Los Angel
More about Peter Walsh...