Matters of Chance: A Novel

Matters of Chance: A Novel

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Matters of Chance is a glorious, aptivating novel about Morgan and Maude Shurtliff, who fall in love and marry in the years before World WarII. Unable to have children of their own, Morgan and Maude adopt twin girls. The four go home to their beautiful house in the country outside ofNew York City and begin to settle into what they hope will be a long and happy life. When t...more
Published August 26th 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Matters of Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matters of Chance

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëStellaluna by Janell Cannon
Best Fiction about Adoption
106th out of 157 books — 127 voters
Waiting for Daisy by Peggy OrensteinI'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home by Lisa ManterfieldThe Gift by Rachel NewcombSilent Sorority by Pamela Mahoney TsigdinosThe Gift of Life. Infertility, Multiple Micarriages and IVF. by Keily J. Adey
Infertility
5th out of 32 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
Expectations are dangerous when it comes to books. I loved "The All of It" by Haien and was looking forward to reading this one. It is awful and the awfulness is made worse because I expected it to be good.

The book is so incredibly trite that I can hardly believe I read it all the way through. I hate rich people, but rich people who buy their moral obligations and exhibit no sign of growth and live up to every stereotype possible and are still "nice" are particularly hateful.

Worst of all, this...more
Mintzis
Aug 19, 2014 Mintzis added it
Shelves: aborted
Gave up. The book didn't go anywhere and didn't have anything to say on the way to nowhere. Amazingly different than her book "the all of it."
Melissa
Finished last night...it's a sophisticated, old world kind of book. Jeannette Haien is masterful - between The All of It and this book, one might think they are very different, and they are in many ways, but her character development is wonderful.
Saire
I'd have given it 5 stars if (hm, no spoilers) something hadn't made me upset, but that was on me; a really fabulous book, beautifully written, wonderfully drawn characters...really reflects how much of life is mainly made up of...matters of chance.
Alicia
Wonderful, timeless love story . Or really, a series of romances. I was really surprised to discover that this came out in 1997--it has the feel of a much older story. Character development is superb.
Carole
Jul 13, 2009 Carole is currently reading it
I am reading this book because of having read and enjoyed "The All of It" (A delightful Irish tale). So far this book is a good read about World War II and very likable, decent people.
Nicholas
Interesting book... interesting writing style.
After 400+ pages, I'm still not just sure what the reader is to get from this book?
Florence
A long saga of an affluent family. Some moments were enjoyable including the WWII years. Some of it was tedious.
Lynelle
WW2 America portrayed, through the lives of the characters, with great compassion and authenticity.
Julia
This is nicely written, but a bit slow. I didn't find a lot to love about the characters either.
Kathleen Cummings
Very different from Haien's first novel, THE ALL OF IT, but I loved it almost as much.
Ruthie
Feb 15, 2010 Ruthie added it
late and great personal friend; loved loved this book
Isabel
Diese deutsche Übersetzung ist so unendlich schlecht!
Sara
wonder family saga that goes from 1940s to 1960s.
Bev
I loved this book.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Jade
Jade is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Hannah Peirce
Hannah Peirce marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Deb Miller
Deb Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Jun 18, 2014
Nancy Boone
Nancy Boone marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jenni
Jenni added it
Apr 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The All of It the all of it Matters of Chance ALL OF IT -- BARGAIN BOOK Matters of Chance