Start by marking “Beach Week: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Beach Week: A Novel

Beach Week: A Novel

Ah, "beach week": a time-honored tradition in which the D.C. suburbs' latest herd of high school grads flocks to Chelsea Beach for seven whole days of debauched celebration. In this dark comedy, ten teenage girls plan an unhinged blowout the likes of which their young lives have never seen. They smuggle vodka in water bottles and horde prescription drugs by the dozen. Mean ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Sarah Crichton Books (first published May 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beach Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Week

Christi
May 12, 2011 Christi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book on Good Reads.

If I hadn't won the book, I probably wouldn't have finished it. I did not enjoy this book at all. The back of the book told me this would be "a hilarious, well-observed look at the end of childhood." I found not a single amusing passage.

The parents are total cartoon characters - hovering mothers, distant fathers, fancy houses and cars. The teens are stereotypical and the plot is non-existent. There was no depth to this story at all. . This easily could h
Kim
Jul 20, 2010 Kim rated it did not like it
This is one of those books that I wish we had 1/2 stars or even negative stars to rate books. In the synopsis,whomever wrote it, said that this book was a wonderful satire and hillarious, even daring to compare it to Nora Ephron, whom I think should sue for libel since this book is neither a good satire nor hillarious, nor anywhere near as funny as her stuff. Again, I wonder what the person was on and why they don't include a sample of it with the book. I do not know anyone who has ever acted li ...more
Chrissy
Jul 06, 2011 Chrissy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book last May at the Pen/Faulkner book awards from a pile of books strewn on the table as makeshift centerpieces. (The quiet yet apparently shrewd elderly woman at our table whittled down the pile until this was my only reasonable choice by the end of the evening.) The book jacket sold it as "hysterically funny," "hilarious hypocrisy," and "satire." I was in the mood for all these things. But as soon as I got the chapter about the peeping tom character, it seemed too derivative of ...more
Candace Louie
Aug 07, 2010 Candace Louie rated it it was ok
I think I actually forgot about it. it was such a horrible book that I think my mind tried to block it out. I just finished reading it too..
it was supposed to be a fun, light read, but it's not. it wasn't deep either. I only liked little bits of it and it wasn't enough to actually make me like it..I only liked a bit of the backstory. I felt bad for Noah. but that was it..satirical, my ass.
Beth
Jul 11, 2010 Beth rated it it was ok
Although the 2nd half was much funnier than the first half, it still seemed like a story that was drawn out. Some good insights into class struggle, and some funny parenting moments, but not my favorite book I read this summer.
Mary
Aug 03, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it
Shelves: chic-lit, beach
Every character was a bad stereotype, parents as ignorant, passive dopes who offer no consequences to their teens, teens who are spoiled brats with no rules, morals, or scruples, and dialog that was forced and fake.
Lisa
Oct 21, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it
This book sounded like it would be afun beach book! It never went anywhere or really made me want to keep reading. I kept waiting for it to get good'. Never got there
Jonita
Jun 10, 2010 Jonita rated it liked it
Jordan Adler has had a rough go of things since her family moved to the D.C. suburbs. Not only was she forced to make new friends and new connections in the middle of her formative high school years, but she was injured by a wayward soccer player and had to endure a year of migraines and MRI's. Her parents haven't had the best time of it, either. Charles Adler had moved to D.C. in order to run a project to revitalize the downtown area. The project has encountered opposition, though, and until it ...more
Mary Kruft
Jul 01, 2010 Mary Kruft rated it liked it
As someone who witnesses "helicopter parenting" regularly and has a child who caused us drama on his "beach week" this book was absolutely hsyterical to read. Also, living near the DC area you can definitely relate to the families/locations in this book.
I wish Leah would lighten up and get a job if they were so broke, I wanted to learn more about the husband & what he was really thinking, but Jordan is a great teenager and the author captured her thoughts wonderfully. I loved her observation
Trish
Jul 16, 2012 Trish rated it liked it
A novel about the affluent suburbs of DC...perspectives switch from mom/dad to senior in high school daughter to strange peeping tom. A little bit Real Housewives reality, a little bit Ferris Bueller, I was engrossed in the family's unwinding lives. At one point towards the middle of the novel I was totally transported into the film "American Beauty" and couldn't get it out of my head. The rest of the novel played out like a movie and I must admit,that the film version seemed a lot better than t ...more
Eric Camarillo
Aug 11, 2013 Eric Camarillo rated it did not like it
I don't know where to start. Seventy-five percent of this novel is exposition where the author tells us what each character is thinking, tells us what they're like, tells us how they're feeling, etc. The characters, as a result of the telling, aren't interesting and are actually quite annoying. Leah's an idiot, Jordan is no better, and Charles doesn't even come across as a real person. The only tolerable character is Noah, who has a brain injury and, therefore, a legitimate reason for the irrati ...more
Heather
Jul 04, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars (when will Goodreads ever let 1/2 stars exist?). Definitely a fast summer type of read. Picked it up before My daughter graduated HS this year, thinking it'd be reading about what life is like in the DC area with a graduating senior. sure enough, seems to be. Although, it is a bit of a send-up. No question. Kids behaving badly. Neurotic parents. Parents behaving badly. A few people behaving well. Kind of like it really is. This book isn't for everyone. For those of us with older kids ...more
Kelly Austin
Jun 27, 2011 Kelly Austin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kelly by: This is a KDL Summer Reading Club Pick
This book is one of the choices in KDL's Summer Reading Program. I honestly don't know why. The program theme is Novel Destinations, and this is one of the choices from the water's edge category. I have read many wonderful books that are set around the water, and this one is pretty mediocre. (I wish I could be on the committee to help choose the books for this list!)
At any rate, the book was okay. Not the worst I've read, but far from the best.
Brianna
Jul 16, 2014 Brianna rated it liked it
I grabbed this off the clearance rack and I can see why it was there. I tried to be open minded but the characters are just so stereotypical it makes it hard to be open minded. There are multiple points of view and at times it's just too confusing.
The characters all seem to have issues that point them in their current directions but there isn't just one ah-ha moment that it all makes sense.
In the end I found myself flipping ahead to get through the book. Sorry...but I tried.
Cela Esqueda
Jul 14, 2011 Cela Esqueda rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
I won this book with goodreads and feel for that reason I had to write a review.

It took me so long to finish because the storyline was choppy and at times it tried to include too much in such a short space. there were many parts that had the potential to be better but fell shy from doing so.

It was frustrating at times to read about an interesting development and then switch to another subplot which I had no interest in or only reiterated a point previously established in the story.

Mace
Jun 23, 2010 Mace rated it liked it
I liked it, I didn't love it. I was often confused by the character's motivations. It's probably also unfair that I had just read two stellar books, and it's possible that almost anything would have resulted in a mediocre review. On the upside, it was a quick read and it kept my attention.
Miranda
Jun 10, 2014 Miranda rated it did not like it
it was sooo stupid. please do not waste your time on it. i immediate threw the book across the room because i was so disappointed with it. I expected some awesome turn of events to happen but it was so predictable. ZERO STARS
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
A silly little beach read. If you read it with any more hope or intention than that, it won't be worth your time. But to casually flip through pages while simultaneously people watching at the beach, it works.
Kristina
Aug 22, 2012 Kristina rated it liked it
Horrifying, yet important for every parent to read before a childs senior year. Its a view of east coast social circles, for the adult and youth. Centered in the story is one family that is slowly falling apart.
Sb
Jun 03, 2011 Sb rated it really liked it
Good book. A little slow and not particularly funny, but a good summer read and I assume even better if you have children. The way the narratives are written for each chapter is very interesting and you feel for each main character.
Amanda Ishtayeh
Not sure what to say about this book. While I think Mrs. Coll can write and has a great sense of humor. I did not enjoy this book. It seemed predictable and really not much going on but drinking and partying.
Alycia
Jun 14, 2015 Alycia rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I think the author did a good job making fun of people I would normally like. And she did such a good job making the character of Noah so uncomfortable, I had to put the book down a few times.
Torina
May 13, 2011 Torina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time with the sentence structure in this book. I must admit that I wasn't able to finish it because of that. I can see why folks would like the story, but it just wasn't for me.

I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
Gretchen Rings
Jun 24, 2010 Gretchen Rings rated it really liked it
A terrific send-up of helicopter parents and their privileged offspring in a tony Washington DC suburb. As one reviewer writes: "Susan Coll could make hell fun--and she does." Too good.
Denise
Jun 08, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Only child, overprotective parents, right up my alley. This book rally hits home. Good, quick read.
Anita
May 19, 2011 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received Beach Week by Susan Coll from a Goodreads giveaway. Overall I enjoyed reading Beach Week. It would make a pretty good beach read..hehe.
Lori
May 30, 2011 Lori marked it as to-read
BEA11
Amy
Dec 07, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
It either needed to be a little bit more trashy and sensational or more convincing as "literary" fiction.
May 16, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Reminds me of my Senior Year of HS when all of my friends and I were planning for our prom and wanted to go DTS but all parents rejected the cost and idea
Casey Bennett
ugh couldnt get into this....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Anne Arundel Coun...: Book Club Meet and Greet with Susan Coll! 1 27 Jun 24, 2013 10:55AM
  • War and Watermelon
  • So Happy Together
  • The House on Salt Hay Road: A Novel
  • Targeting Success, Develop the Right Business Attitude to be Successful in the Workplace (3 Off the Tee, #1)
  • Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture
  • Marriage Confidential
  • Dancing Backwards
  • The Orchard
  • Peel My Love Like an Onion
  • Life After Yes
  • Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)
  • Match Day: One Day and One Dramatic Year in the Lives of Three New Doctors
  • The Fortune Teller's Daughter
  • Black Taxi
  • The Secret of Us
  • The Tourists
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Rainlight
Susan Coll is the author of the The Stager and the novels Beach Week, Acceptance, Rockville Pike, and karlmarx.com. A television adaptation of Acceptance, starring Joan Cusack, aired in 2009. Coll is the Events & Programs Director at Politics & Prose Bookstore in Washington, DC.
More about Susan Coll...