Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #1)

Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  459 ratings  ·  100 reviews
Ever wondered what it must be like to be part of a ménage à trois, a gay ménage à trois? Then wonder no more, because that’s just what my book is all about. It contains snippets, snatches and stories about everyday life with my Daddies, Dick and Shane. I love them both dearly, despite their overbearing ways, or perhaps even because of them.

The book takes its starting poin...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 234 pages
Published 2009 by Lulu

911 by Chris OwenMore by Sloan ParkerDark Horse by Kate SherwoodThe Strongest Shape by Tessa CardenasGemini by Chris Owen
Best Gay Polyamorous Romance
17th out of 294 books — 503 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
65th out of 356 books — 856 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**50% off at Smashwords right now until 7/31/14 with coupon code SSW50! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...**

**4.5 stars**

Oh Gilli, Gilli, Gilli... you lovable brat!! I'm not even into fem-dom and I wanted to spank you so hard some of the time! Cheeky cheeky boy!

"Fun with Dick and Shane" was not exactly what I expected. For some reason, I expected more traditional BDSM (traditional BDSM... snickers...) and explicit sex on page. That isn't what this book is about at all. Gilli, Dick, and Sha...more
Macky
I first approached this book in my ' I don't do, get or like D/s relationships' so when the first spanking occurred I was in two minds wether or not to put it to one side and DNF but at the same time I was captivated by Gilli and his witty, snarky ramblings, from more or less page 1 so as this was also a recommend from a friend, I decided to push on and see if I could get past my reservations and at least finish it. For quite a while into the book I couldn't take to Shane at all because he's ver...more
SheReadsALot
June has been the month of the brat for me because most of my reads so far featured some mega brats...or so I thought. I was misinformed because I had not yet bathed in the brattiness that is Mr. Gillibran Brown.

Oh honey, your tantrums were quite amusing. Maybe not so much for your daddies but I'm so sure if asked, Gilli would say it's because he has not just one daddy but two to keep him ever-suffering.

The Misadventures of Gilli the Cheekiest Cheeks

No wait...

The Case of the Over-Slapped Bottom

N...more
Vivian Archer
So much more than I expected.

I laughed out loud so many times and even teared up a time or two. In the end, this book got five stars because it made me realize something about myself that I hadn't acknowledged, AND...the fact that it happened when I least expected it. The story has surprising depths between Gilli's unrepentant brattiness, which rates an eleven.

Can't wait to read the next one :D
Kaje Harper
* 4.5 stars

This is something different - the slightly-erratic memoir-style account of a young sub with two doms. This is about daily life and getting along through the ups and downs, many of which are the result of the narrator, Gilli, being emotional, dramatic and very young at 24. The sex is frequent but almost completely off-page, and the discipline is named but not described in detail. It's funny and engaging, and the characters are distinct and interesting. I will definitely be reading the...more
Dina
Oct 15, 2010 Dina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Eyre's review
I don't know why Dick and Shane put up with Gilli's antics - it must be love. ;)

Anyway, the boy has an engaging writing style and this was a very fun read. It brought tears to my eyes - happy and deranged tears - and I actually got stomach cramps laughing so hard at some of the things Gilli did. What an adorable brat! I don't know if I should feel happy or sorry for Dick and Shane, LOL.
Breann
This book is one of those that really worked for me at times and then at others, really didn't.

What worked:
• Gilli. He was great! I loved being inside his head. He was loveable and mostly sweet. He was such a stinkin' brat but it made things all the more fun. Could he ever just take something for face value without adding his own crazy to it? No. Could he just listen to his Daddies because they knew what was best? No. Was I glad he was like that? Yes.
• The 'Daddy' relationship really worked for...more
Jenre
Why I bought the book: I read a review at Tam's blog and it sounded like an amusing read.

Plot: The book is set out as a series of blog diary entries from the point of view of houseboy, Gilli. He's part of a menage D/s relationship with a strict hierachy. At the top is overall Dom Shane, then there's Dick who is both Shane's sub and Gilli's Dom, then there's Gilli who's sub to both of them. The story takes place over a few months and every so often Gilli interrupts his diary entries with longer...more
Josephine Myles
I loved this book! Gillibran Brown is a self-confessed gobshite houseboy with a tendency to throw temper tantrums when he doesn't get his own way, but somehow he still remains one of the most engaging, endearing narrators I've ever read. Partly this is down to his naughty sense of humour, partly his talent with words, and partly his humility and genuine desire to make sense of his life.

And what a life it is: Gilli is the youngest and newest partner in a menage with two older men, Dick and Shane....more
Danni
This book is going to go on my 'favourite books of all time' list. It is laugh out loud funny, sad and sweet. Gilli is a stroppy, insecure brat and I fell completely in love with him. And it wasn't just because I fancied him (I did), but I also really loved him.

Dick was the cuddles and kinky fun Daddy, while Shane was the arrogant and stern Daddy, but they all managed to give each other love in their own way.

Gilli's wry observations are both hilarious and also quite poignant at times. Sometimes...more
A.B. Gayle
What I enjoyed most about this book was the interspersed commentary about life in Britain, its politics, its customs all told in an amazingly common sense manner. This aspect is not often mentioned and attention is just centred on the hilarious antics. All these stem from the same source, Gilli's ability to analyse, over-analyse and pick the remaining bits to shreds before gathering them all up and starting again.

The interaction between the three men, the Dom/Sub-Dom/Sub all playing out their ro...more
Jenni Lea
Oh Gillibran Brown. You are a most loveable brat. You have two Daddies. But you have no Mommy. You need a Mommy. I shall be your Mommy. Hush now, Mommy has spoken.

Gilli has been claimed so all you Gilligirls and Gilliboys out there - BACK OFF! HE'S MINE NOW!

*Actual review to follow at a later date. Maybe. Possibly. OK, probably not since I will most likely forget.*
Fangtasia
Dec 14, 2011 Fangtasia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a taste for m/m/m and BDSM
Recommended to Fangtasia by: A. B. Gayle
A friend recommended this book when I was down. I just wrote to thank her many, many times. This book had me crying, in laughter most of the time and sadness a couple times, for the whole ride. It is going into my 'favorites' shelf.

This collection of blog/journal entries is a surprsingly coherent presentation of a gay menage. Gilli, the houseboy/author, is the sub/bottom and he absolutely adores his Daddies, though he seems to be determined to have them prove their love for him almost daily. Any...more
Pamela Su
Ridiculous fun.

I enjoyed reading this book. Gillibran is an amusing, utterly bratty houseboy who is prone to temper tantrums and sulking. Definitely not someone I could deal with on a regular basis and I have to give huge props to his daddies for keeping him in line, usually.

For readers who are used to more affectionate ways of expressing love, Shane comes off seeming like a real cold fish. I found myself wondering at times if he actually cared about Gillibran or not.

Dick's the kind of Dom we're...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I love that Gilli is a goofy bugger, and I really enjoyed the way this was written. I flew through it and wanted more at the end. I'm not really a huge fan of spanking/Daddy relationships, but it does seem to fit here.

Gilli has trouble with his temper and with egging Daddy Shane on which makes for the brunt of his disciplines. This is not to say Daddy Dick doesn't get a few of his own in, but he is more the cuddler and tends to be more understanding/lenient with Gilli.

Gilli is such an insecure...more
Julia
Well, that was unexpected in the best way. I'm not much into biographies. It's just not how I'm built. But I was in the midst of a book slump and a good friend recommended this little gem. I was a little hesitant because as a mom of two, I am seriously annoyed by tantrums and I knew from reviews Gilli is the young king of them. What I didn't expect was to be completely enamored by Gilli. By the 24% mark I had shed tears twice and I, too, became wrapped around Gilli's finger. As many have mention...more
Jason Huffman-black
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this even if I think Gill was way too childish to be part of a relationship with men so much more mature. I did understand most of his actions, although he seemed to have so little self control.

The writing style and the jokes were very engaging and I found myself enjoying the story very much. I'll definitely read the next one.
Ije the Devourer of Books
I thought this was incredibly funny. Written in the form of a diary this story follows the adventures of Gillibran Brown who is in a relationship with Richard and Shane his 'daddies'. This menage is also a domestic discipline relationship and as we follow Gilli's adventures we see how he often gets into all kinds of scrapes.

I enjoyed this. I am not sure what I think about DD or any other form of power exchange in real life that is because I come from a culture in which the only adults expected t...more
Kelly  Maybedog
I don't like menage relationships or BDSM in books but somehow this worked for me. This is the only way I can see a menage relationship working. The two daddies are the couple that have brought Gilly in. But they are the foundation of the relationship and that's clear. On top of that the hierarchy and everyone's roles are clear as well.

I almost cried in a couple of parts, laughed out loud a lot, and thought about the way I look at things quite a bit.

I love Gilly, and I think the man is brillian...more
romanceandcoffee
4.5*
OMG Gilli the narrator of this story is such a brat-seriously he trys the patience of a saint but he is soooo much fun when he is not over the top acting like a child ;). I enjoyed it immensely, the MCs were adorable even Shane his Dom or the Daddy who seems to be cold hearted and is not so easy to like.....ok I wanted to spank him from time to time but then he did something where you can see that he does care for Gilli. If you can keep up with Gilli´s way of telling his story, which is more...more
MsMiz (Tina)
I am having trouble rating this book. Gilli is a fabulous story teller and the entries were quite engaging and funny. With that said, many times I had to walk away because I wanted to strangle him....but that is what makes it a good story right? I think this is fun to read, certainly as blog entries and if you do not take it to seriously. While Gilli has some really good insight into himself and his two daddy's but does not seem to learn a damn thing after having said insight!
Debbie
Oh, boy. This book was NOTHING like what I expected. I decided to give it a try because of the great reviews and I wanted to read something a little different.

Gilli described himself to the reader early in the story this way:

"In a nutshell, I'm 6'2" blonde and gorgeous (Lie detector says NO) Okay, I'm actually 5'7".....

The book is written in an engaging journal style in "houseboy" Gillian's POV. Gilli is hilarious, smart and bratty enough to keep himself in quite a bit of trouble with his two "d...more
Tamkin
Gilli, the first person narrator of this delightful tale, conned, blackmailed and lied his way into the employ of Dick and Shane and has since joined them in a menage relationship with a twist - or as Gilli puts it himself " Shane is lord of all he surveys, he Tops Dick and they both Top me, in an authoritarian sense as well as in a sexual sense. In other words I’m a bottom, or submissive, who is subject to discipline. The truth is they use, abuse and mistreat me horribly, brutes to a man they a...more
Ery
May 28, 2012 Ery rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
I enjoyed this book. It doesn't follow the traditional story pattern, and there is no plot to speak of, but rather a collection of diary entries and short stories that provide glimpses into Gilly's life with his two 'daddies'.

I'm not typically into stories with ménage or daddy play, but I am becoming more interested in storylines with domestic discipline and the daddy thing really worked for me (or them) here. I'm also not generally a fan of first person narrative or journal-like stories. Regard...more
Jenni
Oh, Gilli.

Such a naughty, mischievous, envelope-pushing little houseboy! And yet I love you still.

Yep, that's that. I'm officially addicted to Gillibran Brown and his adventures with his mean 'ol Daddies.

In Fun with Dick and Shane, we spend a few months in the life of Gilli as he works as a domestic (and ALL that the word implies) for Dick and Shane. Gilli is a brat, and he gets spanked. A lot. Like, there's-gotta-be-a-callus-on-that-ass a lot. (Hmm. Someone needs to tell Shane spanking’s not...more
Lo-Lo
This week, the UK and I rekindled our love affair.

I don't have time to write a lengthy review but I will say this: rather surprisingly, I loved every word of this - I'm not one for the ménage-à-trois scene nor am I generally taken with delightful older daddies but this was funny, amusing and held a touch of realism through Gilli's charming wit and youthful idiocy. I was compelled to read on and I'm so ridiculously glad I did.

I recommend a thousand times over.

Tina
Gillibran Brown is the ultimate sassy Brat with a capital B. I wanted to whack Gil's butt too for some of the things he did or said. Ohhh the temper! I loved the diary and I'm looking forward to the next books Gillibran Brown wrote about his life.
There were parts of the story that made me cry and it was far more complex than how it appears in the beginning. 5 from 5 Stars for our adorable Drama-Queen.
Eve
Fun with Dick and Shane is fun! Gillibran and his "daddies" are a threesome with an interesting relationship dynamic - Gillibran on the bottom, Dick in the middle (oh, bad puns everywhere!) and Shane on top. (Spanking advisory - lots of spankings!)

This book is told in episodes and is basically a year (2006) in the life of Gillibran Brown as he lives with his 'daddies' as their houseboy and lover. There's no big story arc, so it reads like a bunch of first-person short stories interspersed with d...more
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

A Gay House Boy who is a total BRAT! Gilli and his poor bottom although it was hard to feel sorry for him because he did deserve most of them. :)

I think he (Gilli) is a guy you either love or are totally annoyed by..me I loved him! Alot of his 'thinkin' reminded me of myself. I so could not be in a relationship like theirs, I'd be feeling green all the time!

Shane is an A$$! I was hoping to warm up to him by the end of the story but no such luck. I thought we had a coupl...more
Camille
I really enjoyed this book! It is so well-written. It's clever and funny with great characters and a good balance of unfaltering humour and emotional resonance. Best of all, this author's voice. I haven't come across someone's writing style I loved so much I'd happily read recipes from them if it it came to that. I love British writing always, but this author's voice is simply splendid. Loved!
Gillifans: Fun with Dick and Shane **spoilers** 1 20 Jun 09, 2013 11:35AM
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1)
  • Under Contract
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • A Man, a Jersey, and a Tight End (Goldilocks #2)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Bound To Please
  • Word on a Wing
  • Soft Focus
  • Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2)
  • Above the Dungeon (Dungeon #1)
  • Sins of the Father (Angel and the Assassin, #3)
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Twice-Caught (Tarin's World, #2)
  • Personal Demons (Gods and Chaos, #3)
  • Carried Away
  • Out Of Focus
  • Stockholm Syndrome (Stockholm Syndrome, #1)
More Fun With Dick And Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #2) Achilles and the Houseboy (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #3) Gilliflowers (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #4) Revelations (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #6) Christmas at Leo's (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #5)

“I'm so bored I could do something, but can't be arsed. I'm unmotivated as well as bored. It's a killer combination.” 27 likes
“I think the official name for such activity is procrastination by chocolate hobnobs. Successful authors are the type who type and who do not indulge in hobnobbing on the couch.” 12 likes