Start by marking “Teaching Your Children Values” as Want to Read:
Teaching Your Children...

Linda Eyre

Teaching Your Children Values

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  76 reviews
One of the greatest gifts you can give your children is a strong sense of personal values. Helping your children develop such values as honesty, trustworthiness, and self-discipline is as important in their education as teaching them to cross the street safely. The values you teach your children are their best protection from the influences of peer pressure and the temptat ...more
Audio
Published January 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Your Children Values, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Your Children Values

Ashley
The introduction was kind of boring, but I LOVE what this book teaches. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to teach my kids to be good people, but it's hard coming up with ideas on how to do that. Usually I just tell them they need to and that is it. This book lists twelve values and gives specific examples of ways to teach them for different age groups. I read the first two values, and then skimmed through and read their family stories. A few of them almost moved me to tears. I want my k ...more
Danielle
I loved this. This is one I decided just to own, it is a nice 'mini reference' since it is broken in to 12 parts- each month has a value with stories, examples, ideas and ways to teach. I am excited to implement them- I haven't set up a formal monthly system, but I have used it to teach family home evenings or things we need specifically. I think that in the next few months it will be something that I can really implement.
Aprill
This is a wonderful to give parents tips on how to teach children, and teenages about values. With each value they give lesson ideas on how to teach preschoolers, elementary age and teenagers. There are 12 values total. One for each month of the year. Or you can pick and choose based on your families values. It's a quick read.
Diana Coe
I really enjoyed this book and want to start doing a monthly value like it recommends. I love the real life examples and the great teaching ideas which are categorized by age. This book is definitely going to be a good resource that I know I will use in raising my kids.
Rachelle
I really didn't read this whole books, but I read enough to know that I am going to buy it. It is full of good ideas. I think I am going to use this as kind of a guide for our family home evenings next year. We'll focus on a different value each month. Very good stuff.
Angela
This is more of a reference book. It gives a year of lessons on values that you can teach your children. I am going to teach a value each month during family home evening. It has ideas for all different ages of children.
Mayela
Excellent book! wonderful resource for teaching your children true values. One to reread over and over.
Beckee
Great book. I read it at least once a year.
Julie Doherty
Love everything written by the Eyre's!
Sarah Sammis
I got Teaching Your Children Values from the now defunct relay site. It's not a book I would normally purchase and I got it mostly for giggles. It ended up being better than I feared it would but I can't imagine actually trying any of the authors' step by step programs. We just aren't that regimented a family.

The book is broken up into twelve chapters with a new value to teach each month of the year. Along with the practical advice and personal reflections from various family members, the book h
Aug 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, child-care providers
I like what I am reading in this book. The authors talk about what qualifies as a value and argues that one doesn't need to be religious to endeavor to have values and live morally. I don't think that all the arguments are flawless, but thought provoking in any case.

I plan on using this for Family Home Evening lessons and we have started with honesty. I appreciate that each chapter speaks specifically on how to teach children within a certain age range. I actually had a run in with my daughter t
Eliot
This is a book about the why values are important and how to teach them to your kids from preschool to the teen years. From the book "So much of life, in today's world, has to do with getting. Values, in contrast, have to do with being and giving."

In my own and my wife's life values have been a big part of being happy, healthy and successful so we have made teaching values a big deal in our house and in raising our kids.

You will appreciate the advice in this book if you have kids and your own
Kris
Just enough practical advice and real life applications within the covers of this book to spring board new focus and redication to the values of work, integrity, honesty, morality... within my family. One of our best family stories came when we were exploring the value of work for one month and we went to a resturant. We explained how Dad worked for the money, the chef worked in the back to cook our food, the waitress worked to serve us... Then our hard working waitress's tray got bumped next to ...more
Becky
So I'm excited to implement this in our home as well. They take one month to teach a value through quotes, stories, games, etc. I love the approach of actively focusing on the value for the month. They have some great stories in here about using this with their own family. I will adapt things to fit our family as I see fit- for example, I want to use the YW'S values along with the other values for the month. They pretty much go hand in hand. So we'll see how this goes. Was hoping to start this m ...more
Mary
This book has great ideas for teaching different values to your kids. I was impressed with it when I first read it last year. So, this year we are choosing one value per month to work on together as a family. We use some of the ideas in this book to help our kids (or the oldest one anyway) understand the concepts. The great thing about the book is that it offers different ways of teaching the values for different age groups. Thus, it is a book that we can continue to use as our children grow old ...more
Hilary Roberts
The concept behind this book is to take each month and focus on a different value (or set of related values) to teach your children. It gives ideas for teaching those values to kids of all ages. I read the introduction chapters and several of the chapters on values to teach, but I quickly realized this is a book I would love to have, simply because I intend to follow it's suggestions and will need it as a reference more often than the 3-6 weeks I can have it from the library.
Julie
I actually got the Entitlement Trap first, and I decided to stop to read more about teaching children a new value each month. It is difficult to apply my single mother, one child scenario to their family of nine children; however, I found a lot of value in what I read. Now I'm finishing up the original text with a better understanding by far. To me, the book is valuable because I have changed my behaviors in so many ways as a parent. It's not just fluffy words. It works!
Heather
This book works hand in hand with 3 Steps to a Stronger Family. Teaching Your Children Values helps you do just that. It sets up a system for teaching your kids with many suggested activities for different age groups. We've worked our way through this book and have used it to brain storm other ideas. Our children have responded well to the activities and we've all enjoyed the time together.

Highly recommended.
Mindy
Great practical suggestions that any good family does, or should, incorporate! This is a good book that just makes me stop and think (maybe creates a slight feeling of inadequacy, guilt and stress!) These people sound like they have the patience of JOB! All I can say is, my best is no where near theirs, so the Lord will have a much greater difference to make up! That is probably why I only had 4 kids instead of 9.
Elasha
Good ideas for teaching our children at different ages. While we didn't implement all of it (awards for behavior just didn't work for us) we did use the format of focusing on one value a month. Our kids were interested, we learned more about their perspectives, and fun discussions ensued. We will probably repeat teaching the values several times during our years as parents.
Lisa
Great book! I want to start teaching Colton a value a month, like this book teaches. Since he's 4, not all of these values are applicable to his life right now so I picked 6 and will teach those. I love that the book had ideas for teaching preschoolers, school-aged kids, and also teens with specific examples. I'd recommend this book to everyone with kids, no matter their ages.
Amy
So, this is another reference book. I have not read it cover to cover. However, I am planning to use this book for 2010 to actually teach and remind my kids of these values. Some of the values include: Honesty, Courage, Self-discipline, Loyalty, Kindness, etc. These and others are all things I like to see my kids be. Maybe I'll report back in Jan. 2011 on how it went...
Ahlam Mustafa
it is not about giving you solutions to your problems.. but making you prepared and positive when it comes to parenting rather than waiting to fix what goes wrong and hoping things will turn out okay.

I like the examples it gives and practical ways for parents to implement these values, a nicely organized book for a long term reform.
Lisa
I'm rating this a 5 because of the idea of focusing on teaching a specific value each month. We've expanded on the idea, and Annie and I are working on a binder for her PP knowledge project, full of ideas from this book, quotes, scriptures, stories from church magazines, for each monthly value2. Can't wait to get started with it!
Joann
While I really liked this book (which was a gift from my parents), I can't say I closely followed its suggested methods. (I'm just not that organized) It did cause me to think in a more conscious way about exactly what my values are and to keep those values present in our daily lives (btw, this book is not religious).
Kristen
This is a 12 month plan on 12 values you should teach your children. It applies best to parents with a variety of aged children or at least to those who have a child who is preschool age, but I enjoyed reviewing things I can do myself and also incorporate into my parenting to help teach values to my children.
Melissa
What a great book! This book has great practical ideas for teaching preschoolers, elementary schoolers, and adolescents different values discussed in the book. I only read the preschool sections because that's what applied to me, so I haven't actually read the entire book. But what I read was fantastic.
Ali Murphy
We have been implementing the family economy and family meetings in this book for the last year and it is working rather well.
Kellicmyers
this was a little gem of a book. If you ever read anything by the Eyre's, you won't be surprised by this book. Just straightforward and easy to read. After explaining why and how to teach values to our children, it highlights 12 fundamental values and provides great ideas for ways to teach each value to all different ages of children. the values they included:honesty, courage, peaceability, self-reliance and potential, self-discipline and moderation, fidelity and chastity, loyalty and dependabil ...more
Jeni
I borrowed this book from a friend. If you're serious about following the guidelines then you need to own the book. I liked their ideas and perspective but I wasn't blown away or sold on using it myself. A lot of their ideas I use just tweaked to fit my family. I mostly read it to get a specific idea on something particular for my daughter right now.
  • The Entitlement Trap: How to Rescue Your Child with a New Family System of Choosing, Earning, and Ownership
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • 10 Secrets Wise Parents Know: Tried and True Things You Can Do to Raise Faithful, Confident, Responsible Children
  • How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
As writers, lecturers, and grassroots and media catalysts, Linda and Richard Eyre's mission statement is: FORTIFY FAMILIES by Popularizing Parenting, Validating Values, and Bolstering Balance. Their latest efforts in these directions are their new books, The Happy Family (St. Martins Press,), Empty Nest Parenting (Bookcraft,) and The Book of Nurturing (McGraw Hill,), and their regular appearances ...more
More about Linda Eyre...
A Mother's Book of Secrets How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Every Age I Didn'T Plan To Be A Witch: And Other Surprises Of A Joyful Mother A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood Teaching Your Children Joy