Start by marking “Dancing with Dynamite: Social Movements and States in Latin America” as Want to Read:
Dancing with Dynamite: Social Movements and States in Latin America

Dancing with Dynamite: Social Movements and States in Latin America

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Grassroots social movements played a major role in electing new left-leaning governments throughout Latin America, but subsequent relations between the streets and the states remain uneasy. In Dancing with Dynamite, Benjamin Dangl explores the complex ways these movements have worked with, against, and independently of national governments.

Recent years have seen the resurg
Published November 9th 2010 by AK Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with Dynamite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with Dynamite

I appreciate what Dangl was trying to do with this book, as it is an interesting and important topic. In the end, however, it felt to me like a very superficial treatment of the subject matter, similar to how I felt about his first book on social movements in Bolivia, The Price of Fire. 175 pages is simply not enough space to do justice to discussing the dynamics between social movements and states in seven countries in South America as well as links to the US. As an intro text, it may be useful ...more
My score is really 3.5 stars, but I'll err to 4 because I like the subject matter so much.

I love the focus of this book--what happens to social movements when governments sympathetic with their aims come into power? Using this question to tour through several South American countries was informative and fascinating. I learned a lot, and it makes me want to obsess over South American history and politics in the immediate future.

Dangl puts forth many theories in this book. He makes his point bes
Dangl does an excellent job of creating a "South American Political Situation 101;" that is, while Dancing with Dynamite may not have the deepest analysis of any particular dialectic between grassroots movements and current liberal governments that they put in power he does provide his reader with an excellent overview of the tension between the movements and their electoral others. The only weakness is, naturally, this hedges everything in very broad narratives (supplemented with interviews and ...more
I dug it. It explores social movements in Latin America's relationships with leftwing governments that were propelled into power by them, and how the State's most common reaction is to betray or water down, and seperate themselves from the movements. Only strong independent movements keep the States honest and connected. Venezuela is pretty fascinating, as the State feeds and is pushed by movements independent of it.
Mirza  Sultan-Galiev
Decent and succinct journalistic account of the relations between popular movements and left leaning state power in Latin America.
Also provides a good crash course in the fatal weaknesses of social democratic "anarchy lite".
Popular resistance movements will get nowhere "dancing" with the state, what we need is some good old Soviet dictatorship
(sorry Marcos and Hardt).
A very lucid summary of exceptional and powerful social movements in the last decade that are transforming LA into a hotbed of resistance to global capitalism!
Didn't actually finish this.. It was interesting but it was not written in a way that kept my attention.
Apr 05, 2011 Aaron is currently reading it
so far, it's promising. there is MUCH to learn here.
Cozzolino marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Jack marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Awki Sacha
Awki Sacha marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Awki Sacha
Awki Sacha marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Chris Swart
Chris Swart marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Spectre Umbra
Spectre Umbra is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
WPIRG added it
May 12, 2015
Simon Sweeney
Simon Sweeney marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Leonor Melara
Leonor Melara marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Kaleb marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014