Start by marking “Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead” as Want to Read:
Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead

Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead (Otherworld Stories #9.4 -Learning Curve)

New Vampires have evolved, and they are coming for you! Kelly Armstrong, Tanya Huff and twenty-two other dark fantasy and horror writers come together to re-imagine the future of vampires in this new collection of all-original short fiction – one of the most unusual and original vampire anthologies ever assembled.
Published September 15th 2010 by Edge (first published March 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Evolve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolve

Halo by Alexandra AdornettoTorment by Lauren KateNightshade by Andrea CremerCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Beautiful Book Covers of 2010
196th out of 346 books — 1,392 voters
Bloodlines by Richelle MeadCrossed by Ally CondieAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaForever by Maggie Stiefvater
Book Expo 2011
100th out of 141 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista D.
Mar 16, 2011 Krista D. rated it really liked it
(Originally appeared at http://sleeplessereader.blogspot.com/...)

There was a time I liked vampires. Incubus, Succubus, Spike. Then it came. You know what I’m talking about. At times, I feared that I would go stark raving mad if I had to hear about or read another story with either “sparkles” or “Sookie” in it.
I bought Evolve several months ago at a vendor’s table here in town. The cover art is what struck me to pick it up. The cover is stunning, capturing the “demon inside” part of the vampire m
Haralambi Markov
Feb 03, 2013 Haralambi Markov rated it really liked it
As a whole, EVOLVE delivers what it promised. Editor Nancy Kilpatrick has managed to cater to all tastes. From action to introspective monologues, from laugher to tears, from violence to love EVOLVE covers all grounds with some of the most memorable interpretations of the vampire lore and mythology that I have ever read. Yes, there are some weak links in the armor, but as a whole EVOLVE is one finely tuned mechanism, perfectly balanced between prose, plot, characters and concept. A must-read for ...more
Tatiana
Read only Kelley Armstrong's "Learning Curve" about a non-confrontational lezzie vampire Zoe Takano (first introduced in Broken). Very short - 5 pages or so. Someone is stalking Zoe and she has to teach the stalker a lesson. I would like to know more about this stalker. Very mysterious.
Kater Cheek
Jan 03, 2011 Kater Cheek rated it liked it
Do you like vampires? No, do you REALLY like vampires? This is a collection of 24 short stories, all dealing with vampires and how they have changed in modern fiction. Editor Nancy Kilpatrick is a little obsessed with vampires, and her prologue is worth reading.

The vampires in this novel run the gamut from bluesy Faustian demons (Soulfinger) to not-quite-altruistic medical personnel (How Magnificent is the Universal Donor). A few of them are even smouldering-hot Byronic heroes (though none of th
Parajunkee
Mar 22, 2010 Parajunkee rated it really liked it
Vampires fans, this is a must read. Not quite what I would call an anthology, this is more like tid bits, but enough to tempt your pallet. Evolve is stuffed full of shorts that all have one thing in common, good writing about the fabulously fanged. This is great book to keep on your nightstand to grab, read a story...and then tuck in. Quick and to the point. Sometimes I would wish they were longer...so I'll probably go out and grab more books by that particular author. I was also introduced to a ...more
Susan
The Drinker • (2010) • shortfiction by Victoria Fisher
Sleepless in Calg
Stacy
Jan 27, 2011 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Great book. I haven't read short stories in years and usually don't have an affinity for them, but I was happy to read some vampire short stories, especially since they're about evolved vampires. There's a story type for every vampire fan. There's first person, third person, and even second person. There are men and women authors. There are male, female, senior citizen, and teen protagonists. Each story offers a new take on vampires, and I love it.

My favorite is "Red Blues" by Micheal Skeet. It
Emily
May 22, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
It's been awhile since I read a complete short story anthology and Evolve was a good way to get back in the saddle. The stories in this volume are definitely one-bite stories so we don't always get to know a whole lot about characters, settings, or any other story elements. Instead, you get stories that are a lot like doing shots out of unknown glasses. Some of them are fruity and fluffy and go down like candy. Others make you get your whiskey face on.

These are no tired reworkings of tired old v
David Fuller
May 22, 2012 David Fuller rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
We’ve all heard enough about vampires recently.

Everyone knows they look like frumpy old ladies, overjoyed that an aging population means they fit in nowadays. Or that they keep humans penned up as food, and having sex with a human is tantamount to bestiality. Or that when a vampire slayer starts killing them off, they go right to the police.

Wait, this isn’t sounding too much like Twilight or True Blood — but they’re some of the ideas introduced in the new Canadian anthology Evolve, edited by Nan
Paul
Aug 02, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of new stories from Canada all about vampires, that mainstay of horror literature.

In the 21st century, Vampires are people, too (so to speak). They go on Oprah, they have teenage daughters (with a unique set of problems in school) and they run for public office. They are jazz and blues musicians, and they have to deal with the fathers of some of the women they have killed. Their bodies can filter out a major blood disease that is ravaging mankind. They breed humans for their
cheryl beauford
Jun 07, 2014 cheryl beauford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stupid

Stupid

I choose this because of the high rate. Just one dumb story after another. Boy was that a mistake! The stories got more crazy as I read. Didn't finish.
Pam Smith
Jun 17, 2015 Pam Smith added it
Shelves: 2010-reads
The short story anthology “Evolve” was released by Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing on March 1st and is a collection of works (23 stories and 1 poem) by Canadian authors.

I was anxious to read it. Anyone who knows me will be surprised by that comment because I normally avoid anything that is labelled “horror”. I have an exceptionally vivid imagination and I prefer sleep that is uninterrupted by nightmares. Hence, I approached this collection with both interest and trepidation...

You can
Kate
Jun 13, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Kate by: EDGE Publishers
I've not been able to post a proper review of Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead as I have not yet been able to finish reading it. Through this experience, I've found that shorts/essays of this type are just not enough to keep my attention. I keep "looking" for the rest of the story and/or finish each essay with a sense of disappointment that that there wasn't more.

While I will attempt to complete this reading experience, I've elected to set this particular project aside for a while. I ho
Yvensong
*Let the Night In -- 3 Stars
*Learning Curve -- 4 Stars -- Fun!
*Chrysalis -- 2 1/2 Stars
*Mother of Miscreants -- 4 Stars
*Resonance -- 4 Stars
*The New Forty -- 5 Stars
*Red Blues -- 3 1/2 Stars -- Would give it 4 Stars if it wasn't a 2nd person story. Not a huge fan of 2nd person perspective, though this one was well done.
*The Drinker -- 2 1/2 Stars
*Sleepless in Calgary -- 3 Stars
*Come To Me -- 4 Stars
*An Ember Amongst the Fallen -- 3 1/2 Stars
*Mamma's Boy -- 4 Stars
*The Morning After -- 4 1/2 Star
Davina
Mar 29, 2011 Davina rated it liked it
I enjoyed most of the stories in this anthology I went through so I could mention some stand outs but each had it's own unique twist. The five I didn't like made the book drag a little.They are all vampire stories no mix of werewolves, zombies, angels or ghosts. You had the characters with morals and the vampires weren't always the bad guys but there were enough bad guys to sink your teeth into. Title is appropriate as there are a few stories of vampires evolving to blend with society others sto ...more
Jul 17, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I only read the Kelley Armstrong short story.
beentsy
Jun 29, 2010 beentsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-done
This collection of short stories was excellent! Some that made me actually squirm and look away, (then look back because I NEEDED to know what happened), some that gave me a little bit of a giggle, some that played with traditional good guy/bad guy roles, and some that just sort of resonated like poetry.

I highly recommend this collection, there was not a bad story in the bunch.

And I must throw a shout out to my friend Heather, whose story "Come to Me" was both creepy and beautiful all at the s
Mell
Feb 03, 2015 Mell rated it did not like it
This was recommended but was a *complete* dud for me. Didn't like any of these stories.
Jessica
Jun 24, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-reads
I'll admit it, I bought this anthology because I am a die-hard Huff/Vicky fan (and I read that story first). Then I was weary because the beginning of the book starts with mediocre stories. But the middle does not disapoint with some truly beautiful and unique pieces. It, however, ended on a mediocre note and the generic stories dragged the review down to three stars. It was really worth reading, though, for some of the more thought-provoking vampire interpretations.
Scotchneat
Collection of vampire stories (all Canadian). Kilpatrick wanted to explore where vampire tales are going. But almost more about what are the tropes of the genre evolving too, not the vampires themselves.

I'll call it and say that vamps are pretty played out (except for our beloved True Blood), and fair to say some of the writers were exemplars of a done trend.

Uneven collection.
Amanda
Jan 05, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Love! Evolve is a collection of short stories that any fan of Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” would applaud. It keeps true to the traditional vampire ideals, while giving readers something completely new all at once. You won’t find the same old cliché plotlines in these tales, but mesmerizing stories of the new undead with a classic touch. An anthology any vampire fan would love.
Schnaucl
Feb 21, 2011 Schnaucl rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars.

The vast majority of stories in this anthology were very good. There were a couple of exceptions and more than one author had to actually say something about how the vampires were evolving. I'm not a huge fan of authors quoting the theme or name of their story. It always feels heavy handed to me.

All the authors are Canadian.
Lorre
May 06, 2014 Lorre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-b-r
I just read Learning Curve by Kelley Armstrong so far.

Learning Curve (WotO 9.4) - Kelley Armstrong
Another Zoe Takano short story!
This time Zoe Takano, Toronto's only vampire, is being followed. And she's loving it, making it into a big game and testing how smart her stalker is. 4 stars
L-D
Sep 27, 2013 L-D rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires, anthology
Learning Curve by Kelley Armstrong: This short story features Zoe who we met in the Otherworld series. Zoe is being stalked, but she doesn't take her stalker too seriously. This was a quick, light-hearted short that, for Otherworld fans, gives us a little more on Zoe, vampire friend of the pack.
Michelle Tempted By Books
The only story I read in this anthology was Kelley Armstrong's Learning Curve. In this short, which is VERY short, Zoe discovers she has a stalker. Which turns out to be a "Vampire Hunter". What I enjoy the most about Zoe is her laissez faire attitude about EVERYTHING.
Miriam
Apr 04, 2010 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A few more interesting stories, more that weren't anything special. The collection as a whole reminded me of vampire short-stories from the 80s, when authors wanted their vamps more contemporary but hadn't hit on the sparkles yet.
Dawn
Sep 30, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it
I stand by my earlier statement that Canadians are weird. I did like a lot of these stories though. I didn't find most of them to be scary, just interesting takes on the vampire legend.
Emily
Oct 16, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
Only read the first half, skimmed the last half of the book. Probably of interest to readers who like a range of conceptions of the "modern" vampire tale.
Joanne
Jan 29, 2014 Joanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-paper-book
Learning Curve by Kelly Armstrong 3*'s Jan 29, 2014
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Otherworld Primer
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • The Bitten Word
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories #5)