Start by marking “Hot Rocks” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  5,527 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
When her notorious past catches up with Laine Tavish, proprietor of the antique shop Remember When, it's up to her and an enigmatic stranger named Max Gannon to find out who's chasing her-and why. The answer lies in a hidden fortune that will change Laine's life...
Published January 26th 2010 by Jove Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Rocks

Songbyrd*SB needs low angst books*
Laine is a antique shop owner who gets caught up in her Dad's lastest illegal job. Max is the insurance investigator on the hunt for what was stolen. They meet and even though there are some serious bumps develop a relationship.

I liked that this book was low angst in terms of their relationship. They confronted and dealt with any problems they had. The dad was likable even though he is a thief.

I got this as a audiobook from the library and loved it. The narrator was Susan Erickson from the in
Sally906
Mar 24, 2011 Sally906 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
HOT ROCKS is the first book in a two book series that covers aspects of the same crime but set 50 years apart. The first book, HOT ROCKS, is written by Nora Roberts and the second, BIG JACK, is written by her alter-ego J.D. Robb. The two books originally appeared under one title, ‘Remember When,’ and this is clearly written on the front cover of this volume.

HOT ROCKS is romantic mystery and is set in a small town called Angel Gap in Maryland. Laine Tavish runs an antique store called ‘Remember W
Jacob Proffitt
While I liked this book pretty well, little pieces of it would bother me enough to keep me from fully engaging with it. Laine is a delight, for example. She's tough, brave, and smart. But when she dips into her past, or does something reckless and illegal, it doesn't feel like it fits her character, very well. And I really disliked her support for her larcenous father.

Indeed, like the pieces from the perspective of the bad guy, this book has jarring bits dangling off of it that poke at me enough
Lisa Kay

★★★★✩ This one was fun ! Susan Ericksen does another wonderful job of narrating Ms. Roberts’ story of a missing share of a $28 million diamond heist. It has all the required characters: the unsuspecting heroine propelled into a mystery maelstrom, the location clue uttered by a dying man, the sinister mastermind who wants it all, the loyal – and very pregnant – friend and co-worker, the unrepentant charming professional con – who happens to be the heroine’s father, and **sigh** the hunky southe
Aya
Feb 24, 2016 Aya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Apparently both this book and the In Death counterpart, Big Jack, were previously published as one book under the title, Remember When, the name of Laine's antique store. Tricky move on the publisher's part. This is pretty much a solid romance book. Rather well executed and on the short side, but if you're not already a fan of romance, this isn't going to change your mind.
Dawn
by Nora Roberts

This is a prequel to Roberts' (writing as J.D. Robb) book, Big Jack. In Big Jack, Samantha Gannon is an author who writes a novel about her great grandfather, Big Jack O'Hara, and his life as a con-artist and jewel thief. Her grandparents are Max and Laine Gannon, the protagonists in this book.

Laine Tavish owns an antique shop in the little town of Angel Gap, Maryland. After a childhood of being raised by a big-hearted but unapologetic career criminal, she just wants to h
Rexanne
I don't like the cover. Sue me, but I really judge a book by its cover when I am a fan of the author, haha.

The beginning was intriguing and direct to the point. A mystery was presented within the first few pages so there was no beating around the bush. The consequent pages easily pulled me into the small town life of Laine Tavish and, later on, to the mystery that started in the first few pages.

The protagonist Laine is a typical Nora Roberts heroine. She's an independent businesswoman with a sha
Anna Catharina
Definitiv eines der schlechtesten Bücher, die ich je gelesen habe, da haben sogar noch viele Groschenromane mehr Niveau. Im Prinzip habe ich alles nicht gemocht:

1. Die Handlung war 08/15 und absolut vorhersehbar. Und dazu noch nicht mal spannend oder unterhaltsam, sondern einfach nur langweilig. Wenn man die Handlung auf das notwendigste gekürzt hätte, wären vielleicht am Ende noch 50 Seiten übrig geblieben. Und als erstes würde ich die grenzenlos bescheuerten Sexszenen rauskürzen, denn die habe
Debbie
Living her own life, her own way was really all Laine Tavish wanted. When a stranger was hit by a car in front of her store, she found it was the man she used to call Uncle Willy. After his death she was confused by seeing him as much as by as she was by his final words to her. Arriving in Angel Gap Maryland too late to talk to Willy, Max Gannon had to figure out why he was there as well as what he had done with this portion of the $28 million in diamonds that he, Big Jack and Alex Crew had stol ...more
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
A serviceable romantic suspense that was mostly enjoyable to read. I liked the characters a lot. They were witty and fun. And we get a Heroine who basically (view spoiler). The biggest problem with the story was Laine and Max's insta-love on speed. They went from meeting each other to engaged in, literally, three days. Errr...

Still, though I continually scoffed at their declarations of love and excitement over their engagement, I still bought their relationship more
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
2.5 Stars

I liked both characters (Max and Laine) and thought their romance was sweet. The major issue I had with this story was the suspense element involving the jewels and Laine's father. I just felt like it went on too long and it bored me. The audio narration from Susan Ericksen was wonderful as always though.
Lyndi
Aug 02, 2014 Lyndi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really hated the heroine at first, but then she smartened up enough for me to not hate her. Unfortunately, then I kinda hated everyone else. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with this story, but I just didn't dig it much. I'm not sure why, but I'm just kinda "meh" about it.
Stacy
Feb 13, 2015 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy by: Tara V
Love the characters and the plot! Fast paced. First Nora Roberts book for me!
Ruth
Mar 31, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good. didn't realize this was part of book Remember When a Roberts/Robb duo from several years ago. but it was fun to reread (listen).
Dichotomy Girl
Jan 05, 2016 Dichotomy Girl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Not my usual thing, but decided to read it before listening to Big Jack on audio.
Lois
Mar 20, 2017 Lois rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Harlequin romance, the jewel theft made it a little more interesting.
Lora
Oct 13, 2016 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy read. The characters were all given their own points of view in different chapters. In a macro sense, I liked how it kept the book going at a steady pace. However, it didn't really allow me to "get" the characters like Nora Roberts usually posits them for the reader. Overall, I thought the book was fun, suspenseful, and offered a touch of romance.
Patricia
By the age of ten, Elaine O’Hara was already an accomplished pickpocket and a well-trained beard for her con-man father, Big Jack O’Hara. Realizing that Elaine was on the same path to prison as her husband, her mother divorces Big Jack and flees. It takes years, but Elaine’s mother finally gets their lives straight.

Elaine, now legally known as Laine Tavish, has spent the last eighteen years trying to build for herself a stable and normal life, both personally and professionally. The owner of an
Geni
Feb 24, 2017 Geni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute
Barbara
This is my first Nora Roberts book. Maybe not my last, but I’m not going out of my way soon for more. There are too many other author and books I’m interested in pursuing.

I really was surprised to find myself liking the book as I started reading it. I wish I could describe how it seemed to me, but I don’t think I can. The writing just seemed to flow. The lead character is a complex woman, which intrigued me as well. While she has built a respectable life for herself, her early upbringing was an
Darlene
May 05, 2016 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read by Ms. Roberts. I so enjoy her books and when I'm done reading a book by someone else, that seems to take me awhile, I will grab one of Ms. Roberts just so I can enjoy the way a book should be written. This was a good story about a woman who turned her life around from the life she had as a child. She changed her name, taking her step dads name, went to school, moved to a small town and started her own business. Then, in one day, her whole life is turned upside down. A man come ...more
Julie Barrett
Jul 25, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot Rocks by Nora Roberts
Willy comes into Lane's shop gives her a card and leaves. He gets hit and dies but as she knelt down and covered the rain
from hitting him he whispered a few things to her that made no sense. She recalls him but not the name at all.
Max was trying to follow Willy and the $28 million but Willy had died in the car crash.
Lane and Max have dinner and she learned Willy was a jewel thief.
She returns after dinner with him and finds out her house has been burglarized but nothing i
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on sarahsbookshelf.com:

Nora Roberts is always a favorite author of mine, but I’ve found many of her books of late to be a little formulaic. I had pretty low expectations when I picked up this book, so I was pretty excited when it turned out to be one of my favorites. It’s actually a reissue of an earlier novel titled Remember When, named after the heroine’s store.

One of Roberts’s strengths as an author is to really bring you into the story and this book really does that. It’s a
Cindi
Apr 15, 2010 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It didn't take me long to remember that I'd previously read "Remember When" by Nora Roberts, but as it had been so long I decided to continue with the re-read. Hot Rocks is a typical Roberts book, with the same Irish-roots characters and speaking patterns. It is interesting to look back and see the similarities between Max and Roarke because the follow-up to HR is Big Jack by J.D. Robb. The continuity between the two will be smooth.

Elaine O'Hara didn't want to bring any part of Big Jack, her con
Delia Binder
This, the first half of Remember When (In Death, #17.5) by Nora Roberts Remember When, Nora Roberts Nora Roberts's "collaboration" with her J.D. Robb J.D. Robb pseudonym, is a typical Nora Roberts Romantic suspense thriller. It's got stolen diamonds; a gang of thieves with a deadly psycho who's willing to kill everybody in his way To Have It All; the daughter of one of the thieves, Lanie Tavish, trying to hide from her father's con man/thief past; the insurance investigator, Max Gannon, who forces her to confront her past - and falls in love with her in the ba ...more
Gail
I didn't realize I'd read this already. It was part of a hardback "dual" release with the first book by Nora and the second by J.D. Robb (who is Nora.) This is the first book, in which the heroine, who is the daughter of a small-time con artist and thief, is targeted by both a private investigator working for an insurance company looking for some stolen diamonds, and the bad guy who masterminded the theft. Her dad is involved. She's trying to hide her past, knows she shouldn't get involved with ...more
Maria Fernanda  Gonzalez
The first part is a classic Nora Roberts' story, but then comes part two with Eve Dallas (from Nora's "In Death" series) trying to solve a crime left unsolved in the first part, which is a great bonus. Maybe is because I read a lot of Nora's books in a short period of time, but I really liked the way this book is composed, shakes the monotony out of the reading. Really, Nora combined with J.D. Robb is winning combination.

(my only problem with this book is: 1. the fact that the main characters i
Kelly Stine
Sep 11, 2013 Kelly Stine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story - and to think I originally wasn't going to read it. I've been reading my Mom's J.D. Robb books, and had found Big Jack in paperback, so I thought I didn't need to read the first part of the story (Big Jack and Hot Rocks make up the complete novel Remember When). But shortly after beginning to read Big Jack, I realized that it would probably make more sense if I read the first part.

I loved the characters and the story/plot. Laine and Max were great characters, and I liked the
Ashley
Mar 31, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, this book was a book that was lent to me. If I had seen it on display somewhere I would have disregarded it completely. And I did for awhile as well on my own bookshelf until last weekend. And then I tore through the book in a couple of days. It was just what I needed. An intriguing story, romance, danger. . .it was like watching a Lifetime movie but with more (and better) sex scenes. Of course everything was tied up into a neat little package in the end but for a moment there was hope th ...more
Elena
Jan 29, 2013 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I the only one that got confused by the fact that this book was already published under a different name > "Remember When" Remember When by Nora Roberts only a few years earlier (2003)... Nowhere does it mention that this is a reprint of the SAME book... I was excited about "Hot Rocks" and started reading it with enthusiasm, only to realize that I have already read it under a different name - "Remember When"! Obviously - I returned the book!

5* because I really liked the book the first time around, but "booooo" for t
  • Big Jack (In Death, #17.5)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...