Start by marking “Mermaids on the Moon” as Want to Read:
Mermaids on the Moon

Mermaids on the Moon

3.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Elizabeth Stuckey-French welcomes you to Mermaid Springs—a sparkling, bubbly world where secretive mermaids swim, a psychic cat gives mysterious messages, and Elvis still reigns.

Published July 23rd 2002 by Doubleday (first published July 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaids on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaids on the Moon

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
435th out of 530 books — 802 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracey
Nov 15, 2009 Tracey rated it liked it
Well I am a sucker for mermaid stories! This is a fun swim of a story, the usual family drama filled with mysterious secrets and shattered ideals. When France's mother goes missing from her life she goes to florida in search of answers, she befriends her mother's life long merhag friends, becomes caretaker to her deceased sister's young son and learns the mermaid way! The past and present have much sadness yet the mermaid fantasy provides great humor and wonderment.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 15, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
This book is not "Great Literature" but it is a very good story. Once I began reading it, I never really put it down, except to have dinner. I read it straight through.

From the jacket: "As a young woman, Grendy swam her way to fame in the kitschy underwater pageants of Mermaid Springs, a premier attraction of pre-Disney Florida. When she met her minister husband, North, she hung up her fins and moved with him to the Midwest. Thirty-six years later, a reunion of the Mermaids of Yesteryear (Merhag
Mycala
Sep 21, 2007 Mycala rated it it was ok
The reviews on the book cover were saying this book was hilarious. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am far too easily amused. I was expecting to be laughing my head off from the intro. I kept waiting for the funny parts that never came. My opinion of a book is formed by how I feel when I'm reading it, and how I feel when I've finished it. I had to force myself to finish it, although it did pick up a little towards the end. When I was done with this book, I just felt sad. The friends of t ...more
Richard Jespers
Dec 09, 2014 Richard Jespers rated it liked it
This novel doesn’t seem to have the oomph or clarity of her first collection of stories, The First Paper Girl in Red Oak, Iowa. Theo is perhaps the most interesting, the most developed character. I really wanted to like the book because of my connection with Stuckey-French as a teacher. She’s such a fine creative writing teacher and writer, but the book just doesn’t strike a chord with me.
Amanda Man
May 19, 2015 Amanda Man rated it liked it
"Mermaids on the Moon" has an unusual setting with a corner of the world most readers would be unfamiliar with. It does well in drawing out the environment and pathos of its niche, though the plot surrounding the central mystery is reliant on rather one-dimensional, though definitely colorful, characters.
Joy
Apr 15, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mfa-faculty
"The fantasy Doll Theater had no telephone, so France drove out to tell Bruno about her mother's disappearance. The theatre, where Bruno staged his Fantasy Doll shows, was thirty miles north of Indianapolis, on a county road a few miles from the town of Cedar Valley, up on a rise where the wind always blew. There was a magnificent view, but France was sure Bruno never noticed the rise and fall of the corn, rolling out for miles, the endless green grid broken up occasionally by a farmhouse glowin ...more
Lauren Glowacky
Mermaids was an enjoyable quick read. After having read Ms.Stuckey's previous book "Revenge of the Radioactive Lady", a book with a slew of quirky characters, I looked forward to reading this newer book of hers. Indeed there were quirky characters, but it just didn't have the shock value (of quirkiness) of her previous book. In Revenge, there was an ending that nobody would see coming. Here in Mermaids, it was kind of tame by comparison. Don't get me wrong. It was a very enjoyable book. The char ...more
Deanna
May 18, 2016 Deanna rated it really liked it
I liked this story. Couldn't guess how it would turn out!
MB (What she read)
You can watch videos of Weeki Wachee mermaids (which she is obviously referring to in this book) performing on Youtube if you're interested.

And what is with the evil philandering minister theme? This is the second book now. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Here's another book that features WW mermaids Swim to Me. I think I've read at least 5 so far that do--fiction and non-fiction--how weird that they seem to turn up so often.
Corrina
Aug 02, 2008 Corrina rated it liked it
Mother-daughter relationships is the theme of this book. France (the main character's name) travels to her mom's town in Florida after hearing that her mother has left home. (Her mom is a mermaid in an underwater show there.) Through this novel (well-written and fairly clean) she comes to terms with her mistakes in her past, her mother's mistakes, her father's mistakes, and a sister who left something of herself behind when she died. It was a good story. I'm glad I had my parents growing up thou ...more
Marvin
Aug 07, 2009 Marvin rated it it was ok
A 38-year-old divorcee from Indiana goes to Florida to resolve the mystery of her mother's disappearance after she leaves her father. Not surprisingly, she learns a lot about herself, too, as she cares for the troubled 5-year-old nephew her mother has left behind and gets to know her mother's friends, with whom she performs in an underwater mermaid act. There's little suspense, & lots of touches designed to be cute aren't really very. All in all, a pretty disappointing book.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Jul 12, 2011 Lolly K Dandeneau rated it it was ok
I think this novel was good in part to the behavioral descriptions of the nephew Theo, as he seemed similar to the way my own son was when he was young (he has Asperger's syndrome) but the relationships were somewhat flat. It was hard to think France's discovery about her 'father' was unrealistic. It was certainly cute to read about the aged mermaids, but this story just didn't keep my interest. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't fantastic either.
Rebecca Gernon
Dec 16, 2013 Rebecca Gernon rated it liked it
I found the characters in this book real and enchanting. Winky was well written as were the others. However the book had little direction. I finished it and felt cheated that there really was no resolution among the characters. The book is worth the read if only to see how the young boy reacted and changed.
Sharon
Mar 23, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
I'm surprised I've read more than on enovel about mermaids in Florida! In this one, a mermaid disappears, and her daughter spends the bulk of the novel ineffectively looking for her. Various aspects of family relationships and history are revealed as she talks to other mermaids in the group.
Doris Pearson
Apr 29, 2013 Doris Pearson rated it it was amazing
Read this in one sitting! The interaction between family members with twists thrown in. An adult daughter searching for her missing mother with everyone from her father to her mother's friends acting like nothing much has happened. Very interesting story.
Peggy
Oct 27, 2013 Peggy rated it liked it
It was an interesting read. I didn't know how the mermaids performed their routines and I was hooked on finding out where the missing mermaid, Grendy, was. The charaters were well developed and the story was entertaining.
Cathy
Jan 11, 2010 Cathy rated it liked it
I picked it up at random at the library because come on! How could I resist that title, plus the setting (one of those gloriously tacky '50s-'60s mermaid shows)? Too bad the book itself was a little flat.

Jocelyn
Mar 22, 2011 Jocelyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Didn't like any of the characters or the setting. I did want to know what happened to the person that was missing at the beginning of the book, and was disappointed when it was revealed.
April
Feb 28, 2010 April rated it liked it
This was worth reading,but i found myself getting a little bit bored in the middle. All in all an interesting story about a grown woman searching for her missing mom.
Lisa
Apr 10, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Went into this one thinking it would be really dumb, but I enjoyed it. (Of course it helps knowing a little bit about the real "Mermaid Springs," aka Weeki Wachee.)
Amy
Aug 24, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
I don't even know where to start. Who cares about mermaids? Really - a whole book about old ladies dressing up as mermaids for an aquatics show.
Jeffrey Hammerhead
Dec 23, 2012 Jeffrey Hammerhead rated it liked it
Shelves: florida-mystery
Anyone who has visited Weeki Wachee (especially in the 60s) will enjoy this book about a missing mremaid. A fun and witty read.
Emily
Nov 12, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok
It was ok. Interesting and quirky characters but I guess I didn't realize the result of the mystery to be so generic.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 25, 2013 Sue Kozlowski rated it it was ok
Weird. Characters have unusual names. France goes to Florida to find her mother Grendy. Swims in a Mermaid show.
Annie
Dec 30, 2010 Annie rated it it was ok
Meh. Weird story, I didn't really like the characters. Pretty fluffy, but not terrible.
Sara  (LitHacker.com)
Aug 05, 2013 Sara (LitHacker.com) rated it it was ok
too quirky to make me care and ultimately unforgettable. read Bean Trees instead!
Megan
May 05, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
I found this story to be very odd but it did intrigue me enough to finish it.
Strawfoot
Feb 23, 2011 Strawfoot rated it it was ok
Decently written and idiotic...could I just read a good book again?
Mary Dearden
Jul 20, 2013 Mary Dearden rated it liked it
I appreciated the little boy with Asperger's.
Alexandra
Jul 01, 2010 Alexandra rated it did not like it
Hated it. Had absolutly no point.
  • Peking
  • The Dairy Queen
  • Iron Gate
  • Tickled Pink: A Comic Novel
  • River of Hidden Dreams
Elizabeth Stuckey-French is the author of a novel, Mermaids on the Moon, a collection of short stories, The First Paper Girl in Red Oak Iowa, and, with Janet Burroway, Writing Fiction: A Guide to the Narrative Craft. Her new novel, The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady, is forthcoming from Doubleday in spring 2011. Her short stories have appeared in The Normal School, Narrative Magazine, The Atlanti ...more
More about Elizabeth Stuckey-French...