Start by marking “She, King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain” as Want to Read:
She, King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain

Read Book

She, King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain

"She" is the great mythic creation of the 19th century, while "King Solomon’s Mines" and "Allan Quatermain" are surging tales of adventure, full of sensational fights, blood-curdling perils, and extraordinary escapes.
Published June 1st 1951 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about She, King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She, King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain

Christopher
Jan 07, 2010 Christopher rated it really liked it
Adventure novels of the best kind. It takes a certain world-view, but certainly for his time he had a progressive view of Africa, where these stories all take place. I read She a few years ago, and that hooked me on his tales of African adventure, with battles and strange magics and myths. It involves a fountain of youth, lost love returning through the bloodline centuries later, and the unconquerable wilderness of Africa.

I just finished King Solomon's Mines, the first Allan Quartermain novel, a
Brackman1066
Apr 03, 2008 Brackman1066 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: er, no one. unless maybe you think Tolkien really read it
Shelves: really-bad-books
I feel that I ought to have a bookshelf for really bad books. Not just sort of ho-hum, dull books, that you put down and never get back to, but the sort of books that you keep reading just to see if they can maintain the level of wretchedness they've perpetrated so far (or, of course, because someone assigns them to you, or you're doing research).

I read Haggard's *She* last fall, doing research for my class on Tolkien. A writer suggested that She might have influenced Tolkien's depiction of Shel
Danny M
Jan 12, 2015 Danny M rated it it was amazing
I do not want to go too much into the storyline for fear of giving away the ending, but there are additional novels involving Allan Allan Quatermain. The review will apply to basically all the novels in the Allan Quatermain series. The interesting part is that after finishing the novel Allan Quatermain you would think the story ends, but it does not. The novels are about three privileged Englishmen who, out of life's boredom, head over to Africa for a little adventure. When reading the books you ...more
Randal
Jul 19, 2013 Randal rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I actually have a five-novel volume of Haggard novels/novellas I picked up on the free cart at the library. I've read both She and King Solomon's Mines from it.
They're racist, sexist, classist. Once, and if, you get beyond that, they're not particularly well-written. The action follows predictable story arcs, there's little or no character development.
In Haggard's defense: Allan Quatermain is a coward, which is a nice twist to the usual self-deprecating Victorian hero; the black heroes in King S
Sean
May 08, 2008 Sean rated it it was ok
H. Rider Haggard, his book She and his character Allan Quatermain are so heavily referenced throughout pop culture (even unknowingly) that I thought I simply had to read this when it fell into my hands. I suppose you could call this a learning experience: I learned I am not a fan.

Haggard may have had a strong influence on the army of novelists and comic-book artists and storytellers that followed him, and they have produced an astounding body of work in all possible genres, but he himself was
Robert Zaslavsky
Good, solid, old-fashioned adventure yarns, which have invited--and will continue to invite--cinematic adaptations. Rereading these childhood favorites, whose more "adult" dimensions escaped me at the time, was a welcome dip into affectionate nostalgia.
Jacco..
Nov 04, 2013 Jacco.. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, with its exotic adventures in dark Africa. One can almost feel the scorching sun, vast herds of wildebeest, and endless plains. This vividness is of course largely due to beautiful and colourful language.
This issue consists of three books, but they are similar enough to review at once.
With the notable exception of 'She', being the better book mainly by virtue of the character of 'She'. Reviewed alone I might've been inclined to award 5 stars.
Male and female charac
Nile
Jul 15, 2014 Nile rated it it was amazing
The three best books of HRH....amazing....
Steven Parenteau
Nov 17, 2008 Steven Parenteau rated it it was amazing
This book actually covered 3 of Haggards best works; "She, King Solomon's mines and Allen Quartermain".

Although dated over 140 years if anyone is a lover of Indiania Jones style adventure these are the original stores that started Speilburg and Lucas with their stories.

The only turn off from the novels that I have found was during the period they were written women were still expected to stay at home thus the books are a bit sexist for our era.
Brenda Clough
May 08, 2012 Brenda Clough rated it really liked it
This collection gets you the three best works of H. Rider Haggard, and so it is a great bargain. He was the first and greatest of the African-adventure authors. A late Victorian, so you have to simply go along with the cultural imperialism, racism, sexism, and general un-PC stuff. If you can do this, and also adapt to the prose conventions of the time, you are in for a great ride.
Chris
Apr 26, 2007 Chris rated it liked it
Definitely books from a different generation. She was an interesting tale of mysterious jungle adventure... Quatermain's tales seemed from an error of bloody machoism that were tough to stomach.
Donna
Jul 30, 2008 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Fascinating look at the origins of the adventure novel. Without Haggard there would be no Indiana Jones or other such adventure heroes. A fun, strange read.
Man Solo
Aug 18, 2012 Man Solo rated it really liked it
Just started it with many pages to go........
'stina
Nov 18, 2008 'stina marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-fiction
One day, i promise to get to this.
John
Jul 19, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1classics, box13
A fan of all his books - whee
Zorn
May 08, 2007 Zorn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Historic escapism.....
Plangji Billy
Sep 03, 2007 Plangji Billy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adventurers,dicoveries,study guide,general knowledge.
such a nice book to read.
Amias Ignatius
Amias Ignatius rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Md. Fahad Kabir Antim
Md. Fahad Kabir Antim rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Mehdi Sheikh
Mehdi Sheikh marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Caeric
Caeric marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Bill Cooke
Bill Cooke rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Anca
Anca marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
William
William is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2016
Jacquel
Jacquel marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Raymond Stanford
Raymond Stanford marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
  • Geons, Black Holes, and Quantum Foam: A Life in Physics
  • Go for Beginners
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Extraordinary Voyages: Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
  • Probability and Statistics
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Grim Lands (Volume 2)
  • Spirit of the Century
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2
  • Mastering Jujitsu
  • Writing Machines
  • PhD Chapter 2: Life is tough and then you graduate
  • The Complete Fairy Tales of Brothers Grimm, Volume 2
  • Five Children and It / The Phoenix and the Carpet / The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #1-3)
  • Computer Networks: A Systems Approach
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • Selected Poems
  • The Collected Writings Of Ambrose Bierce
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...