Start by marking “La esencia del estilo. Historia de la invención de la moda y el lujo contemporáneo” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  32 reviews
La esencia del estilo o de cómo los franceses inventaron la alta costura, la gastronomía y los cafés. Esto es, la elegancia, la sofisticación y el glamur. Así sintetiza la autora la tesis principal de su investigación, que no es otra sino exponer cómo las claves del estilo de vida y del ocio europeo tuvieron su origen en la Francia de Luis XIV.

¿Por qué los seguidores de la
Published 2009 by Editorial Nerea (first published 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about La esencia del estilo. Historia de la invención de la moda y el lujo contemporáneo

Simone Collins
Sep 06, 2008 Simone Collins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in aesthetics or style
Fascinating!! This book was a total pleasure to read. I have such a greater appreciation for style now, and really enjoyed the great detail to which the author went to explain the emergence of different trends and styles. This book carried me through a long weekend family reunion AND three days at the Chinese consulate. Not bad!!

Alice Verberne
This University of Pennsylvania grad has also taught at Princeton and Yale and done her research. DeJean read old newspapers from the time of Louis XVI in order to compile her book. It is written in an engaging style that clearly links marketing trends that are still used (and abused) today in order to get people to desire something that they really do not need. I find the psychological innovation of marketing enthralling. DeJean is a Francophile who tends to credit the French with innovating lu ...more
liz
The sub-title of this book is "How the French Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, Chic Cafés, Style, Sophistication, and Glamour." However, "How Louis XIV Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, etc" would be more appropriate. And it's true, mostly; a lot of these things exploded as a direct result of how Louis XIV [say it with me now: ka-TOHRZ] ran things during his reign. One of the really interesting things was how many of them were introduced to protect French industry and the French economy. What w ...more
Cat
Properly belongs in the pop-literary genre that can loosely be identified as "the social history of concept/food item/technology/etc.". DeJean's writing is from the school of annales meets cosmo, peppered with phrases like "bling-bling" and repeated references to Carrie Bradshaw and Manolo Blahnik. Her repeated attempts to create parallels between the 17-18th century and recent currents events are alternately amusing and lame.

The combination of writing styles makes this book a lighter read then
Laura Guill
Yes, this should probably be renamed "How Louis XIV--," because basically each essay circled back around to how he majorly/even slightly influenced each industry. It was an interesting read, especially as you consider how these concepts are still reflected in modern society. In particular I was struck by the original "aspirational" fashion illustrations which incorporated settings & activities, making me wonder what the author would have thought of Pinterest or lifestyle blogs...
Marsha
Every page, every chapter, in this book was revelatory to me. I had no idea the important role the French, and specifically Louis XIV, played in transforming Paris into the cultural center of the mid-1600s world. If you like couture, cuisine, jewels, and many other things, read this book and you will understand how the French 'invented' it. Fascinating history as told by the author, creating a book that's hard to put down.
Emily Dahl
Jan 02, 2009 Emily Dahl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: francophiles
Shelves: nonfiction
I picked up this book because i had just finished reading "Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution" and was in the mood for something else French. And I was sadly disappointed by this book-- it seemed profoundly biased. I was expecting some bias (it is a book purporting to give the French credit for everything relating to style after all), but I thought the author took it to a whole other level, laying down some serious obsessive hero-worship for the Sun King. Really? Loui ...more
Lee
As someone said, this book should've been called "The Essence of Style: How Louis XIV Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, ..."

you get the picture. The thing is, I think the book could've been a lot better if it had focused on other people's impact as well. It felt like there was a lot of book padding because she limited herself to things in Louis XIV's reign. Why? There have been plenty of other people throughout time who contributed to France's reputation and creations.

A chapter on umbrellas? Com
Tammy
Average book. Not sure what I was expecting, but a bit boring. Would have been better if the chapters didn't read like stand-alone essays, so that information presented in one chapter was again introduced and explained in another as though you'd never seen it before. The author also makes a few too many conclusions without any stated support. Since she's a professor of French history and culture, I'm sure she knows what she's talking about, but the reader shouldn't have to take that on faith.
Lisa
May 13, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the girls
So, I've been reading this book off and on since January...not because I can't get into it... But, its just one of those you can put down for a bit and come back to. This book is for all the fashionista's and pop culture fiends. It's full of juicy tidbits like the hows, whys and whens of our obsessions with mirrors, shoes, haute cuisine, diamonds and much more! It's a fascinating read and will give you fun little facts to impress your friends with :)
Elizabeth
I just love this book! It's a great way to learn about how the French wrested control of the fashion industry (prior to them, it was in the hands of the Dutch and the Venetians). You also learn about the evolution of champagne, city lights (one of the Sun King's many achievements), Women's Wear Daily, mirrors, diamonds (the Renaissance people loved the pearl), and coffee houses among other things; basically all things fun and decadent!
Ling
This book was fascinating. The chapters were very well done and the information was engagingly written.
Mel
A book of how the French invented high fashion, find foods, chic cafe's, style, sophistication and flamour.

So this was the beginning of "keeping up wtih the Joneses?"
it was a bit tedious, but there were interesting parts. I think it would have been more interesting if this were written by someone without a biased opinion of France.
Ruthmarie
Stylish, fun, educational . . . what a way to see how what's old is new again (or never went away). History is alive in every page and illustration. For me, a deeper understanding of Louis Quatorze, Madame de Sévigné, the Duc de Saint Simon, and others. Thank you, Joan DeJean!
DeJean traces the history of our culture's materialistic tendencies back to the reign of Louis XIV's court. The writing style is a little breathless, and the lack of footnotes is annoying, but overall it provides an interesting perspective on the Old Regime.
Robin
I thought this book sounded interesting at first. Then it gets into the couture and cuisine of France, and then it says King Louis XIV was the arbiter of good taste, which I don't doubt. From wigs to all the typical Parisian delights. It was a good book,
Mark
The Sun King still rules the roost, and people are still trying to live the good life his courtiers had. The author lays out a strong case, and the book is a fun read to boot (or slip-on mule as the case may be).
Melanie
I thought this book was great! Joan deJean did her homework and I am sure a lot of that information was not easy to find. If you ever want to know the origin of practically everthing we do read this!!!
Melissa
Apr 03, 2007 Melissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out as a library book a few months ago, read the first chapter, and then had to return it...but I will check it out again....when I've finished reading everything else on my to-read list.
I started this book after I met the author at a DC fashion event but got distracted with life. After reading "The Collection" I have picked it back up.
Brenna
I don't, like writing reviews, do I have to do this? Well the stories in this book just cracked me up and you can never get enough of Louis XIV!
Dianne
Quick summary: Louis XIV was almost singlehandedly responsible for creating fashion and style as we know it today! This book is lots of fun.
Marieli
This book is more about the marketing of Beauty then it is about what's Fashionable. Who decides what is elegant, Louis XIV of course!
Kia Kofron
This book should be required reading for marketing majors. How did France get to be the big dog known for style?
MARKETING!
Aislinn
Courtney
Exactly as the title says---a historical review of how Louis XIV created glamour and luxury as we know it
Bernard Morneau
Must read for anyone who is curious about the origin of a lot of things we take for granted today.
Boogoalo
Interesting, informative, well-written. DeJean is one of my favorite historians.
Julie
Yada yada yada. We get the picture. All good things come from France.
David
Fashion Plates and dolls, Champagne, Mirrors, and Parapluie
  • 20,000 Years of Fashion: The History of Costume and Personal Adornment
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • 100 Unforgettable Dresses
  • Isabella Blow: A Life in Fashion
  • The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957
  • The Secret Lives of Buildings: From the Ruins of the Parthenon to the Vegas Strip in Thirteen Stories
  • The Power of Style
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • When the World Spoke French
  • Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People
  • The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace
  • Seven Ages of Paris
  • Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas
  • Unseen Vogue: The Secret History of Fashion Photography
  • They Eat Horses, Don't They?: The Truth About the French
  • Lost Rights: The Misadventures of a Stolen American Relic
  • The Virgin Warrior: The Life and Death of Joan of Arc
  • Heloise & Abelard: A New Biography
How Paris Became Paris: The Invention of the Modern City The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began Histoire De La Marquise-Marquis de Banneville: Francois-Timoleon De Choisy, Marie-Jeanne L'Heritier, and Charles Perrault (Texts and Translations) Ancients against Moderns: Culture Wars and the Making of a Fin de Siecle Tender Geographies: Women and the Origins of the Novel in France