Start by marking “The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy

The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Here one will find not only a wide range of succinct and useful assessment procedures, but also a highly specific, research-based, and modularized treatment program. In addition, there are dozens of questionnaires and interview protocols to be used in both assessment and intervention.

In prospective, long-term research with over 700 couples, Gottman has discovered certain f
Published August 17th 1999 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Clinic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Clinic

Deanna
I really thought I was getting a lot out of this book until I got farther into it. There are many things to be disputed, such as his lack of citations for ideas and theories. Therefore, for the reader, much of what Gottman says in his book is empirically unsupported. Having cited properly, it would be easier to take his ideas as being credible. Additionally, when referring to couples in his book, you can be assured that they will be white middle- to uppper-class heterosexual pairings. That said, ...more
Desi
THE book to use if doing Gottman therapy with couples. Fantastic theory based solidly in science. Definitly geared to the clinician. If interested in reading a book written for self-help, this isn't it. But please read his other books!
Jose
Changes the way I look at marital therapy, my understanding of science improves, and i now believe this to be the book i will be using extensively with my students. too bad it took me this long to get to this research.
Erik Kohl
This is a great book to have on your shelf if you do marriage counseling.
mercy
Reading it for Couple therapy class with Dr. Luskin
7 principles on the road to happily ever after by John Gottman.
Summary of Gottman Method Couples Therapy
1.Enhance your love map
2. Nurture fondness and admiration
3. Turn toward each other 4. Let your partner influence you
5. Solve your solvable problems
6. Overcome gridlock
7. Create shared meaning
Nathan Schneider
Mull through the statistical research and this is a great resource for marriage counseling. Gottman's approach to marriage therapy is a compilation/ critique of popular research and his own extensive research. His model is specifically explained and the process is easy to follow with plenty of case studies. Study the principles in this book for an easy to adapt model of marriage therapy.
Quizaya
Read this after participating in the gottman marriage seminar. Wow, I can see me and my husband in so many of these case studies. I really wish that we had a gottman clinician in our area.
Stacy Marian
Gottman is amazing but this is one of his most challenging books as far as density and ease of reading.
Maureen
Lots and lots of clinical questionnaires
Gideon
Great research on marriage. So useful.
Supi
Supi marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Aisuru
Aisuru marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Sarah Amelia
Sarah Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Alicia Kovac
Alicia Kovac is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Deborah Cook
Deborah Cook marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Chor Sovannarith
Chor Sovannarith marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Youth
Youth added it
Jul 28, 2015
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Eirik Tjessem
Eirik Tjessem marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Gerdiene De Vreede
Gerdiene De Vreede marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Glenda Beaumont
Glenda Beaumont marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • Families & Family Therapy
  • The High-Conflict Couple: A Dialectical Behavior Therapy Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy, and Validation
  • Ethnicity and Family Therapy
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Freedom from Toxic Relationships: Moving On from the Family, Work, and Relationship Issues That Bring You Down
  • Love Busters: Overcoming the Habits That Destroy Romantic Love
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
31960
Dr. Gottman is the co-founder of the Gottman Institute with his wife, Dr. Julie Schwartz Gottman, where he currently teaches weekend workshops for couples and training workshops for clinicians. He is the Executive Director of the Relationship Research Institute, where they are developing programs for parents transitioning to parenthood and are beginning a new research project on treatment for Dome ...more
More about John M. Gottman...
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage: America's Love Lab Experts Share Their Strategies for Strengthening Your Relationship