Start by marking “The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy

The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Here one will find not only a wide range of succinct and useful assessment procedures, but also a highly specific, research-based, and modularized treatment program. In addition, there are dozens of questionnaires and interview protocols to be used in both assessment and intervention.

In prospective, long-term research with over 700 couples, Gottman has discovered certain f
Published August 17th 1999 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Clinic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Clinic

Deanna
Jan 25, 2008 Deanna rated it it was ok
I really thought I was getting a lot out of this book until I got farther into it. There are many things to be disputed, such as his lack of citations for ideas and theories. Therefore, for the reader, much of what Gottman says in his book is empirically unsupported. Having cited properly, it would be easier to take his ideas as being credible. Additionally, when referring to couples in his book, you can be assured that they will be white middle- to uppper-class heterosexual pairings. That said, ...more
Desi
Jul 16, 2009 Desi rated it really liked it
THE book to use if doing Gottman therapy with couples. Fantastic theory based solidly in science. Definitly geared to the clinician. If interested in reading a book written for self-help, this isn't it. But please read his other books!
Jose
Aug 09, 2010 Jose rated it it was amazing
Changes the way I look at marital therapy, my understanding of science improves, and i now believe this to be the book i will be using extensively with my students. too bad it took me this long to get to this research.
Erik Kohl
Nov 05, 2012 Erik Kohl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ma-program
This is a great book to have on your shelf if you do marriage counseling.
Nathan Schneider
Jul 25, 2015 Nathan Schneider rated it really liked it
Mull through the statistical research and this is a great resource for marriage counseling. Gottman's approach to marriage therapy is a compilation/ critique of popular research and his own extensive research. His model is specifically explained and the process is easy to follow with plenty of case studies. Study the principles in this book for an easy to adapt model of marriage therapy.
mercy
Dec 09, 2015 mercy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Reading it for Couple therapy class with Dr. Luskin
7 principles on the road to happily ever after by John Gottman.
Summary of Gottman Method Couples Therapy
7. Create shared meaning
Sandra
Jun 11, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: own, psychology
I really appreciate all the research Gottman has done to provide us with up to date research on relationships and marriages. However I didn't find his style of writing engaging and I also found that his theory did not mesh well with my worldview. I will say that there are a lot of useful tools in this book as far as interventions with couples.
Quizaya
Sep 05, 2010 Quizaya rated it liked it
Read this after participating in the gottman marriage seminar. Wow, I can see me and my husband in so many of these case studies. I really wish that we had a gottman clinician in our area.
Stacy Marian
May 01, 2015 Stacy Marian rated it really liked it
Gottman is amazing but this is one of his most challenging books as far as density and ease of reading.
Maureen
May 18, 2009 Maureen rated it liked it
Lots and lots of clinical questionnaires
Gideon
Mar 19, 2013 Gideon rated it really liked it
Great research on marriage. So useful.
AbbeY
AbbeY rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Sharon Gossage
Sharon Gossage marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Karen Kinghorn
Karen Kinghorn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Nathanael Stephens
Nathanael Stephens rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Jules
Jules rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Dwain Burridge
Dwain Burridge is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2016
Shirley Higgins
Shirley Higgins marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
AJ Frithiof
AJ Frithiof marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Heather Ackerman
Heather Ackerman marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Kestine
Kestine marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Michael Tuteur
Michael Tuteur marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Marlainna DeLidle
Marlainna DeLidle marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Caleb Bassett
Caleb Bassett marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
LaToya
LaToya marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Marla
Marla rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Adrian Ortega
Adrian Ortega marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • Family Therapy Techniques
  • Ethnicity and Family Therapy
  • The High-Conflict Couple: A Dialectical Behavior Therapy Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy, and Validation
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • Groups: Process and Practice [With Infotrac]
  • I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Shadow Syndromes: The Mild Forms of Major Mental Disorders That Sabotage Us
  • Intimate Allies
  • Freedom from Toxic Relationships: Moving On from the Family, Work, and Relationship Issues That Bring You Down
  • Healing Trauma
31960
Dr. Gottman is the co-founder of the Gottman Institute with his wife, Dr. Julie Schwartz Gottman, where he currently teaches weekend workshops for couples and training workshops for clinicians. He is the Executive Director of the Relationship Research Institute, where they are developing programs for parents transitioning to parenthood and are beginning a new research project on treatment for Dome ...more
More about John M. Gottman...