Start by marking “Man of the West” as Want to Read:
Man of the West

Man of the West (Campbell-Strayhorn Dynasty #2)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Second in an engaging series about a legendary ranching dynasty in Texas-from an exciting new author

Jolie is a newcomer in Willard County, and Sheriff Jake Strayhorn is as drawn to her vulnerability as he is intrigued by her beauty. Jolie is clearly on the run from something, but she refuses to reveal her past- or let any man into her heart. Still, Jake can't turn his b
Published April 6th 2010 by Signet (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Man of the West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man of the West

Cate Meredith
I am really conflicted about this book. I loved the writing, and the author did such a good job of world-building. However, the climax was anything but. And there were a few more problems, which I’ll address.

Jolie Jensen is twenty-seven years old, with a ten year old child, and she’s on the run from her drug-addicted loser of an ex-husband, Billy Jensen. Jolie’s cousin Amanda has set up a job and a place for her and the child to live Lockette, Texas, a tiny ranching town where Amanda lives.

This book reminded me of Susan Wiggs or Robin Carr in that there are multiple story lines going on at the same time. In fact so much time was spent on family characters I didn't feel like this was a romance about Jolie and Jake. The H/h spent very little time together on paper and I just didn't see them falling in love. Very little POV from the hero.
That said, I did like the book just wish I was more interested in the H/h.
Sandy M
I was in the mood for a western, some cowboys, so I picked up Man of the West, since I had been pleasantly surprised by Ms. Callhan’s Lone Star Woman that I reviewed last year. While the overall story of this latest book is good and I like the characters, I do have some disappointment when it comes to the hero and heroine.

Jolie has finally decided to leave her no-good ex-husband, so on a stormy night she packs up her daughter and very few belongings, sneaks out of her old life to head toward a n
I loved this book. It's just the type of light, breezy read that I need when I want to relax.With several story lines weaving their way through the lives of different characters,there was just enough action and drama to keep one interested from one page to the next.
This sequel to "Lone Star Woman" is great! I love all of the relationships -- the supporting cast really help make this story!

Contemporary Western Romance
Overall good story, however lacking on one characters storyline.
Donna Zajac
Donna Zajac marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Maria added it
Aug 20, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Krista added it
Mar 12, 2015
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Janet Brown
Janet Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Erin added it
Aug 13, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Campbell-Strayhorn Dynasty (2 books)
  • Lone Star Woman