Blank-133x176
Chore Whore

Heather H. Howard

Chore Whore

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chore Whore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chore Whore

Petra X
When people have so much money that they move in circles where employees have to pick up the panties discarded on the floor by some one night stand or other, they tend to lose touch with reality. Money really can buy you almost everything you desire, including a gun range and armory in the basement accessed through a secret bedroom door for ... which Hollywood star? There are clues, but you have to guess. The louche lifestyles, endless one night stands, paranoia that requires a steel fortress ro...more
Aisha
Chore Whore by Heather H. Howard, is a story of Cornelia "Corki" Brown, and her experiences as a celebrity personal assistant. Howard herself, was a celeb personal assistant.

The first half of the book was very dry, leaving the reader unsure of where the plot is going. It is mostly fluff.

The second half, the story sort of picked up but found Corki to be annoying for not standing up for herself until the very end. And she was so judgmental of Lucy's relationship but failed to realize her own nai...more
Eva Leger
Feb 08, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeannie
Recommended to Eva by: I think I saw it on a list of Jeannie's
I would give this three and a half stars I think if I could...I went with four though because it definitely doesn't deserve three in my opinion.
The author is extremely likable which I admire because had I been through a quarter of what this poor woman has subjected herself to I'd be the biggest bitch this world ever saw.
Howard drops some names while concealing others and another thing I liked was while she did throw in some neat celeb stories, the book was mainly about her job and not just abo...more
Jess
This ended up being a pleasant surprise. I tend to find chick lit rather predictable and vapid. There is plenty of well written chick lit out there but you have to dig through a lot of other stuff to find it. The endings are usually the same (girl tries to find guy, drama/hilarity ensue, girl gets guy) and the journey getting there is rarely that original. Most of what I saw from the outside of this book screamed “Chick Lit” and after having read it I will say that still holds true. However, it...more
Astrid
Fun book of the life of a celebrity assistant (C.A.) - a fictional story but based on the author's experiences as a C.A. Makes me tired and my head spin to think of all she did and how financially precarious that job can be - crazy when you see the $$$ spent by celebs on stuff and not her salary. Sure I'll take a gift bag worth $3,000!

Fun read - a glimpse into the celeb life (at least the more extreme ones) like what the Nanny Diaries did for NYC diva moms:)
Maui
5/5!

I started this book last night and I could not put it down because the stories were so intense. Corki Brown is a superwoman. He went through all of the trouble for her clients but she never got a thank you, plus with the issues with her son she has quite a lot up her sleeve.

I do applaud her for being a professional worker to her clients and an exceptional mom to her son. I was really happy that she finally found her happy ending in the end.
bigmuzz
an interesting and easy read...all i know is, there is no way in hell i'm ever gonna be a personal assistant after reading this and some of the ridiculous things you have to do and put up with
Michele
This is one of the funnies books I have read in a very long time! When you think your having a bad day just read a chapter, sit back and reflect on how glad you are your not a Celebrity Assitant.
Tiffany
I loved this book, a total entertaining page turner. Super fun easy read, constantly made you wonder which celebrity the author was referring to. Great book to read on vacation.
Rebecca King
Crazy, wacky tales from the front lines of Hollywood! The personal whims of the famous from film and TV are straight from outer space. Fun book.
Mary Lea
This book was hilarious. It gives you a glimpse of how wacky the folks in Hollywood can be. I loved it!
Katie Murphy
I have not finished this book yet but it is a great read! Man I sound like a dork!
Jules
Fun, quick read. Started a little slow, but then I couldn't put it down.
Lisa Pfeffer
Very funny book I needed a laugh today
Kelly
Hysterical! Great summer read!
Ket Lamb
If you've ever entertained the idea of working as a celebrity assistant, read this! Single-mom, Corki Brown, babies a handful of spoiled stars more than her own juvenile delinquent. Laundering the flavor of the day's underwear, buying a birthday present for Stephen Spielberg, shipping illegal Cuban cigars, washing the Masertai, throwing an impromptu Carribean dinner for ten without wheat or dairy products, and cleaning out the shark tank are all in day's work. Why such a talented, creative whiz,...more
Janice (Janicu)
The Devil Wears Prada has nothing on this book; instead of one crappy boss, Corki Brown, personal assistant to the stars has *many*. Written by a celebrity personal assistant who has worked in Hollywood for over 20 years, it tells of the day to day horrors and indignities that Corki endures in order to pay her bills and take care of her son Blaise. There is a lot that her clients ask of her, often on little or no notice, such as cooking for 50 guests in 3 days, finding the perfect gift for Steve...more
TBML
Corki Brown is a put-upon personal assistant for some of Hollywood's biggest stars. Between grocery shopping for playboy Jock Straupman and planning picnics for mercurial actress Lucy Bennett and her new boyfriend, the crass Tommy Ray Woods, she is trying to make sure she has enough money to pay the rent and keep her brilliant but mischievous son, Blaise, from getting expelled from school. Corki starts to fret when one of her biggest clients lets her go. To add to the disarray of life, she gets...more
Kate Gannaway
Loved it. Couldn't figure why the author didn't have more gumption. I know a 'no' is this business can spell the end on ones' career, but I wanted to stick up for herself a little more. Particularly when she came face-to-face with a loaded gun by one of her clients.
Ro321
This book was really good. I have done a little work for a celebrity a few years ago and worked for a very wealthy family... I could totally relate to Corki and her dilemmas! It's a great summer read, I read it in a day and a half and wish there was a sequel!
Denise Grinols
entertaining. I liked it. first of all I can't imagine being available 24/7 but then being asked to do things very last minute would make me nuts.
Michelle
fiction written by former celebrity assistant. the book rambles..on, and on and on at an almost frenzied pace of name dropping and strange situations, that I'm sure are totally plausible, but don't feel "right" in a book. It just sounds like a run on sentence for about 200 pages where I keep asking myself, "what is this book about"!
It finally gets interesting toward the vert end.
I cant say it was terrible. I was looking for a quick read, and found portions of it humorous. It probably would be id...more
Maria
Feb 05, 2008 Maria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Charity
This book was fun - details life a celebrity personal assistant, including visibility into the variable tasks undertaken by the single-mom heroine. Heather Howard was a celebrity personal assistant before writing this celeb-u-expose. And while no actual celebrities are named in the book - the characters are fictionalized - it's fun to imagine what experiences are based in real life and what is 'fiction.'
Heather
I picked up this book at my local library because, well, it was there and I was looking for a light entertaining read. It's a quick read, but in addition to stating "98% true" it should state "100% boring". I just didn't find it engaging or entertaining. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because I actually did finish the book, but I wouldn't recommend.
Jessica
A pretty fun entry into the "Devil Wears Prada" school of thinly-veiled tell-all chick lit. This one is by a former personal assistant to Hollywood stars, and is pleasingly larded with tales of movie star orgies, dogs requiring home-cooked organic meals, redecorating, and insatiable shopping.
Melody
Pure popcorn. Not particularly well-written, but fun in a train-wrecky sort of way. Isn't that the only reason to read these books? So one can judge the rich and famous and their over-the-top lives? Compulsively readable and arguably better than the tabloids in the checkout line.
Krista
meh. i read the whole thing, but i had to take 2 substantial breaks. since i am now entering a similar professional world, i wanted to voyeuristically peek in. it was pretty good for that, but the author's self-righteous attitude and narration style bugged.
Jeannie
Jun 12, 2009 Jeannie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeannie by: Eva
this was an interesting read. the writing was somewhat choppy but I loved reading about her job as an assistant to the stars. a bit more dirt on those stars would of been more to my taste but all in all this was a nice light read for my summer vacation.
  • Roommates
  • Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set
  • Talk Show: Confrontations, Pointed Commentary, and Off-Screen Secrets
  • Admissions
  • Two Gentlemen of Lebowski: A Most Excellent Comedie and Tragical Romance
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table