Start by marking “Chore Whore” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Chore Whore

Heather H. Howard

Chore Whore

Published April 12th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chore Whore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chore Whore

Petra Eggs
When people have so much money that they move in circles where employees have to pick up the panties discarded on the floor by some one night stand or other, they tend to lose touch with reality. Money really can buy you almost everything you desire, including a gun range and armory in the basement accessed through a secret bedroom door for ... which Hollywood star? There are clues, but you have to guess. The louche lifestyles, endless one night stands, paranoia that requires a steel fortress ro ...more
Aisha
Jan 26, 2014 Aisha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chore Whore by Heather H. Howard, is a story of Cornelia "Corki" Brown, and her experiences as a celebrity personal assistant. Howard herself, was a celeb personal assistant.

The first half of the book was very dry, leaving the reader unsure of where the plot is going. It is mostly fluff.

The second half, the story sort of picked up but found Corki to be annoying for not standing up for herself until the very end. And she was so judgmental of Lucy's relationship but failed to realize her own nai
Eva Leger
Jan 22, 2009 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeannie
Recommended to Eva by: I think I saw it on a list of Jeannie's
I would give this three and a half stars I think if I could...I went with four though because it definitely doesn't deserve three in my opinion.
The author is extremely likable which I admire because had I been through a quarter of what this poor woman has subjected herself to I'd be the biggest bitch this world ever saw.
Howard drops some names while concealing others and another thing I liked was while she did throw in some neat celeb stories, the book was mainly about her job and not just abo
Jesse
This ended up being a pleasant surprise. I tend to find chick lit rather predictable and vapid. There is plenty of well written chick lit out there but you have to dig through a lot of other stuff to find it. The endings are usually the same (girl tries to find guy, drama/hilarity ensue, girl gets guy) and the journey getting there is rarely that original. Most of what I saw from the outside of this book screamed “Chick Lit” and after having read it I will say that still holds true. However, it ...more
Astrid
Fun book of the life of a celebrity assistant (C.A.) - a fictional story but based on the author's experiences as a C.A. Makes me tired and my head spin to think of all she did and how financially precarious that job can be - crazy when you see the $$$ spent by celebs on stuff and not her salary. Sure I'll take a gift bag worth $3,000!

Fun read - a glimpse into the celeb life (at least the more extreme ones) like what the Nanny Diaries did for NYC diva moms:)
Maui
Jan 26, 2013 Maui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5!

I started this book last night and I could not put it down because the stories were so intense. Corki Brown is a superwoman. He went through all of the trouble for her clients but she never got a thank you, plus with the issues with her son she has quite a lot up her sleeve.

I do applaud her for being a professional worker to her clients and an exceptional mom to her son. I was really happy that she finally found her happy ending in the end.
Tiffany
I loved this book, a total entertaining page turner. Super fun easy read, constantly made you wonder which celebrity the author was referring to. Great book to read on vacation.
Michele
Sep 10, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the funnies books I have read in a very long time! When you think your having a bad day just read a chapter, sit back and reflect on how glad you are your not a Celebrity Assitant.
bigmuzz
Aug 05, 2011 bigmuzz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an interesting and easy read...all i know is, there is no way in hell i'm ever gonna be a personal assistant after reading this and some of the ridiculous things you have to do and put up with
Rebecca King
Jul 06, 2008 Rebecca King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy, wacky tales from the front lines of Hollywood! The personal whims of the famous from film and TV are straight from outer space. Fun book.
Mary Lea
Jul 16, 2008 Mary Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious. It gives you a glimpse of how wacky the folks in Hollywood can be. I loved it!
Kelly
Jul 14, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical! Great summer read!
Jules
Jan 03, 2008 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, quick read. Started a little slow, but then I couldn't put it down.
Katie Murphy
I have not finished this book yet but it is a great read! Man I sound like a dork!
Heidi
Jun 18, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
Lisa Pfeffer
Jun 30, 2011 Lisa Pfeffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-shelf
Very funny book I needed a laugh today
Ket Lamb
Dec 01, 2009 Ket Lamb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever entertained the idea of working as a celebrity assistant, read this! Single-mom, Corki Brown, babies a handful of spoiled stars more than her own juvenile delinquent. Laundering the flavor of the day's underwear, buying a birthday present for Stephen Spielberg, shipping illegal Cuban cigars, washing the Masertai, throwing an impromptu Carribean dinner for ten without wheat or dairy products, and cleaning out the shark tank are all in day's work. Why such a talented, creative whiz, ...more
Janice (Janicu)
The Devil Wears Prada has nothing on this book; instead of one crappy boss, Corki Brown, personal assistant to the stars has *many*. Written by a celebrity personal assistant who has worked in Hollywood for over 20 years, it tells of the day to day horrors and indignities that Corki endures in order to pay her bills and take care of her son Blaise. There is a lot that her clients ask of her, often on little or no notice, such as cooking for 50 guests in 3 days, finding the perfect gift for Steve ...more
Ralph Maughan
Feb 07, 2016 Ralph Maughan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best

This is the best of the hired-help subgenre of celebrity tell-all. Number one, the lady can write; number two, she was in the top tier of personal assistants in Hollywood for 20 years; number three, by casting her story as fiction, she can include plot, character development, moral of story, and scenes that speak to the senses. Nonfiction is bound by fact that you cannot punish the guilty or reward the deserving so memoirs can often end up unsatisfying. Also, the majority of the people w
TBML
Jan 22, 2011 TBML rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Corki Brown is a put-upon personal assistant for some of Hollywood's biggest stars. Between grocery shopping for playboy Jock Straupman and planning picnics for mercurial actress Lucy Bennett and her new boyfriend, the crass Tommy Ray Woods, she is trying to make sure she has enough money to pay the rent and keep her brilliant but mischievous son, Blaise, from getting expelled from school. Corki starts to fret when one of her biggest clients lets her go. To add to the disarray of life, she gets ...more
Elle
Jun 19, 2015 Elle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cute. It was about Corky and Blaise written by a former celebrity personal assistant. Celebrity are not good people according to this book. She has been a personal assistant for twenty years and is still struggling financially. She has to do so much work and finagle how to get paid. It appears to be very stressful. In the meantime, her son appears to be neglected. She has a couple of issues going on. She's in a car accident. One of her employers attacks her. It doesn't seem to be worth it ...more
Michelle
fiction written by former celebrity assistant. the book rambles..on, and on and on at an almost frenzied pace of name dropping and strange situations, that I'm sure are totally plausible, but don't feel "right" in a book. It just sounds like a run on sentence for about 200 pages where I keep asking myself, "what is this book about"!
It finally gets interesting toward the vert end.
I cant say it was terrible. I was looking for a quick read, and found portions of it humorous. It probably would be id
Maria
Feb 05, 2008 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Charity
This book was fun - details life a celebrity personal assistant, including visibility into the variable tasks undertaken by the single-mom heroine. Heather Howard was a celebrity personal assistant before writing this celeb-u-expose. And while no actual celebrities are named in the book - the characters are fictionalized - it's fun to imagine what experiences are based in real life and what is 'fiction.'
Jan 10, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Corki Brown has spent twenty years catering to the whims of the affluent in LaLa Land, and then everything starts to fall apart. The author's real life experience must have informed her novel, and the urge to identify the subject of a book length 'blind item' is delicious. This was a fun, fast read.
Heather
May 04, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at my local library because, well, it was there and I was looking for a light entertaining read. It's a quick read, but in addition to stating "98% true" it should state "100% boring". I just didn't find it engaging or entertaining. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because I actually did finish the book, but I wouldn't recommend.
V
Jan 12, 2016 V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done! This book has just the right amount of celebrity name dropping, sex scandal, personal drama, intrigue ...and lots of insider details about how the wealthy Hollywood types love and live. An added surprise - the interesting menus and foods for dinner parties that the author whips up on a moment's notice. Great book!
Melody
Apr 23, 2010 Melody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pure popcorn. Not particularly well-written, but fun in a train-wrecky sort of way. Isn't that the only reason to read these books? So one can judge the rich and famous and their over-the-top lives? Compulsively readable and arguably better than the tabloids in the checkout line.
Jessica
Oct 14, 2007 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A pretty fun entry into the "Devil Wears Prada" school of thinly-veiled tell-all chick lit. This one is by a former personal assistant to Hollywood stars, and is pleasingly larded with tales of movie star orgies, dogs requiring home-cooked organic meals, redecorating, and insatiable shopping.
Zehra ghori
Oct 05, 2007 Zehra ghori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in getting an inside look at celebrities lives.
This book is really funny and a very light read. Easy enough to put down and just as easy to pick up and continue reading. Its about a personal assistant who has worked for celebrities for 20 years and her experiences.
Pyper at Reading Lark
Interesting book. A former celebrity personal assistant writes a book. That is one job I would never want! It was an entertaining book and a quick read. No real plot. It is a bit sickening to know that some celebrities act like that, though.
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • Roommates
  • White House Nannies
  • Ruby's Diary: Reflections on All I've Lost and Gained
  • You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny
  • The Fangover (The Fangover, #1)
  • 32AA
  • Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics
  • Play Dates
  • The Best of McSweeney's Internet Tendency
  • The Pink Ghetto
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Absolutely True Lies