Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Literary nonsense turns to whimsical imagery with a macabre twist in the pen-and-ink drawings of Jamison Odone. Stick figures have never emoted this much energy as each page brings a certain curiosity to a new light in this deconstruction of Lewis Carroll's classic. Starkly black and white, these stick characters are as much a quandary as their literary, cartoon and theatr...more
Published February 27th 2010 by PublishingWorks (first published 2010)

Patty
Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland
Retold
Illustrated
By
Jamison Odone

Hmm…I did not know what to expect when I opened this book and prepared to read it. It turned out to be a totally enchanting and captivating retelling of Alice In Wonderland. I think I loved this book because it is so totally quirky. There is a banner on the front cover which proclaims this book as “STICKFIGURATIVELY SPEAKING”. Here is the delightful reason why…all of the characters are black pen line drawn stick figures!!! All of th...more
Emily
This is a fantastic new perspective on a classic tale that everyone knows - or thinks they know.

Odone stays true to Lewis Carroll's original text of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. While most characters are familiar, there are a few that are not so well known including the duchess, the Mock Turtle, and a very large puppy.

Odone's stick figure illustrations add so much flavor and modernity to his retelling of the story. His adorable rendering of Alice is simple, but expressive. With new spunky...more
Veronica
Without intention, the copy of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland that I read, was an annotated version. Very early on, I decided I could either stop and read each note or just read for the sake of pure enjoyment. Not sure if I was just being slothful, but I opted for ignoring the notes for the most part. The notes I did read, however, were quite informative and perhaps I chose the wrong approach…

This book brought back great memories of my mom reading this book and pointing out the wonderful image...more
Brittany
This is the classic novel we all know and love, but with a few twists and turns. More illustrations and more side conversations by the characters. If you love Alice and Stick figure illustrations this is a must for your collection.

I love Alice <3 This was a great retelling. It took some of the original text and mish-mashed it with Jamison Odone's own brand of storytelling. The characters are a bit more snarky and 2-dimensional. I do love the illustrations though. There are just really fun and...more
Timothy
"What I learned from this book..." is that Jamison Odone is taking graphic fiction to a wonderful place. It's part picture book, part graphic novel, part cartoon; which considering the state of flux in the world of literature (so long old publishing world, what with your books printed on paper and what not, and hello to the new world... you know, the one that requires lots of electricity even to use a dictionary), is brilliant. The book flows just like the traditional story but with the whimsica...more
Adrienne Furness
What I like about this is that Odone takes a fair amount of Victorian vocabulary and phrasing and through his deliberately childlike art and clean design makes it seem breezy and approachable. Some of the modern touches he throws into the art panels ("num" is used a few times when characters are eating, for instance, and in the winning first illustration, Alice says of her sister's boring book, "That book makes my eyes sad!") were a little jarring, but they also made me laugh. This isn't my favo...more
J.M. Guillemette
This is a wonderful retelling of Dodgson's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland told in none other the stick figures. Odone has done a phenomenal job retelling the story in a way that is fun for both children and adults. Odone has the ability to convey the story in not only words but also in art. If you haven't picked this one up yet we highly recommend you do.

Addition as of 4/17/2010

Had a mom come up to me who purchased this book for her daughter and said the following, "My daughter loves this. Ev...more
Beatrice
Have you ever woken up from a dream and tried explaining it, but it was too random to even make sense of it all? Well Lewis Carroll made a book doing just that. The way he tells the story, at some parts I was confused as to what the point of it all is. This book brought me back to my childhood. Everyone has seen the movie of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, but I doubt many people have actually read the book. Each chapter, Alice is with a new character that is completely different than the one...more
Renee Fleming-white
read to future offspring.
Lookingfortara
This book is great. The fact that it is a children's book and there is no blatant moral of the story is what I really enjoy. A lot of children's books are based on a moral and while there are plenty of things to get from reading this book, the ridiculousness of it is clearly the interesting point. The illustrations are amazing. The one picture of Alice being gigantic and having her arm out the window is a classic in children's literature. That picture is interesting because of what it is not tel...more
Tyler-Rose Veguez
I honestly don't know how I feel about this book. On one hand, I really admire and appreciate the imagination that went into creating this world and the characters. I also appreciated how realistic Alice seemed as a little girl - inquisitive, and always trying to sound smart :) On the other hand, I found that it was too full of puns and play on words and zany mistakes to be really enjoyable - after awhile it just got exhausting and I wanted everyone to interact normally.

Overall, fun read, but a...more
Gmr
Feb 28, 2010 Gmr rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Alice in Wonderland fans, and readers in general! (All ages!)
Recommended to Gmr by: Riana at Publishing Works
Once you pick up this charming read, you won't be able to put it down. It takes the wonder of the land explored by Alice, and twists it just a bit more all with the most imaginative stick figure drawings you could have dreamed of. This isn't your everyday known Alice, but it certainly will entertain even the most "mad" among us with its witty words and perfectly matched pictorials. Venture down the rabbit hole and see what new things you discover! Happy reading!
Riane
This book will publish on March 5th to coincide with Tim Burton's big-screen production of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I love creative retellings of timeless classics, and this one takes the cake. Funny, imaginative, and NEW. Kids will find these drawings funny, and parents inventive. Good read for all ages.
Christine Crawford
While I think some younger kids might enjoy a simplified version of Lewis Carroll's story, I kind of didn't. I didn't find the illustrations charming, so much as just weird in a slightly unpleasant way. Alice looks something like a cross between a bug and a skeleton.
Shahad Al Melhem
Sep 16, 2012 Shahad Al Melhem rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shahad by: Dee
This can come as quite a surprise: I never actually read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as a child, but I enjoyed it as an adult as much as any kid would, maybe even more. Its funny, its creative, and its very realistic on some kind of level. Loved it.
Stacy
I enjoyed this story. I had never read it, but have watched both the cartoon and the new movie of it. I wonder why the cartoon left out some things. I guess some things wouldn't work as well in cartoon form.
Laura Craner
I don't like a lot of British literature from this era and I think _Alice in Wonderland_ was about as good as anything else I've read from this era. Meh.
Amy
A cute retelling of Alice in Wonderland in a kind of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" style. Great as an introduction for younger readers.
Ira Martina
Reread this for the first time in a over a decade. It might have well been my first time.
Steph
Very bizarre book. I hope to never have dreams like Alice!
Jeremy Townsend
Brilliant rendering of Lewis Carroll's classic.
Catelyn Johnson
Favorite book of all time.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Beth
Beth is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
  • Martin's Mice
  • Forgive And Forget
  • Vampire Doll: Guilt-na-Zan, Vol. 1
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • AROUND WORLD 80 DAYS        AU: AROUND WORLD 80 DAYS AU
  • Skins: Summer Holiday (Skins, #2)
  • Pokemon Ultimate Handbook
  • Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)
  • Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • Dragon Ball Z: The Legendary Super Saiyan, Vol. 11 (Dragon Ball Z, #11)
  • These Children Who Come at You with Knives, and Other Fairy Tales: Stories
  • The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland
  • No Flying in the House
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • Lily Alone
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to Groosling" - More than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy"
  • Nevermore (Classical Eye)
I am an author of children's books and graphic novels. What a funny thing to say--I still feel like a kid just scraping around this planet trying to figure everything out. Perhaps that feeling is what keeps me curious enough to write, to draw, to hopefully entertain.

For me, creation is a daily struggle. It has never come easy but I will never stop trying. So long as there is oil in my lamp and ink...more
More about Jamison Odone...
Mole Had Everything Honey Badgers The Bedtime Train