Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  21,259 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Down the rabbit-hole and through the looking-glass! Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories features all of the best-known works of Lewis Carroll, including the novels Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, with the classic illustrations of John Tenniel. This compilation also features Carroll's novels Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Br ...more
Leather Bound, Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions Series, 1184 pages
Published January 29th 2010 by Barnes & Noble (first published June 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories

Caroline Åsgård
This is the first Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic book I have read, and judging by only the cover, it's absolutely astounding. Cute and pink with wonderful artwork, and pages dipped in gold which gives the pages that ''old'' vintage feeling! The first two parts of the book is of course the Alice books - I finished those in a day each, it was wonderful reliving my childhood, and also learning more about the books, as the Disney and Tim Burton movies are just mere interpretations. I loved ...more
Angela
How am I supposed to explain all this? I swear Lewis Carroll was on drugs. If you asked me to make up something as wildly insane as this, I wouldn't even come close. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are exactly as I remembered the films. They're insane and brilliant all at once.

It was the Sylvie & Bruno books that took me the longest to get through, because I honestly had no idea what was going on at times. The basic premise is the narrator going along on his no
Yelena
This particular edition is part of Barnes & Noble's Leather-bound Classics Collection. Carroll's volume is bound by distinctive pink bonded leather, with black illustration and gold leaf embellishment; "Beautiful" is an understatement when describing this collection; it's exquisite - to say the least! These books are so precious to me. They are the epitome of what my "dream library" will contain; breath-taking editions of the classics and masterpieces. Most of the books in this particular co ...more
Priscila Palomares
This is my favorite book! i absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone who loves puzzles, riddles and poems.
Katy
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Such a strange tale. I've always been so enchanted by it though -- especially the cryptic rhymes interspersed. Are they meant to mean anything? Are the "morals" presented throughout the book to be taken seriously...or are they Carroll's idea of satirizing the moralizing books of his time period?

Alice falls into the rabbit hole with society's rules in mind. She takes the virtues and rules from school and her parents...and she finds that they don't apply. Much like
Kara
It's a strange thing, these stories. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" are the more popular of Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's, better known as Lewis Carroll, writings.

They're definitely written for children but I do not think children of this day and age would enjoy it as much. There's a lot of mention of poetry and song and verse that only a child from 18th century England would get. But it's very fun either way. Probably best to read the sto
Rikke
"LOVE-lighted eyes, that will not start
At frown of rage or malice!
Uplifted brow, undaunted heart
Ready to dine on raspberry-tart
Along with fairy Alice!
"

Happy blabbering nonsense, puzzling riddles, surreal phantasms, a profound love for tea, talking rabbits, invisible fairies and a perfect understanding of how the world looks through the eyes of a child. That is the essential ingredients of Carroll's writing.

No author has ever since made such magnificent wordplay and used such a heavy amount of a
Whitney
One day a curious little girl named Alice follows a rabbit down a rabbit-hole, and what ensues is a fantastical adventure that most people could not even dream up. After a constant act of shrinking and growing Alice meets the many characters of Wonderland, a blue caterpillar smoking a hookah, who's sentences tend to go round and round like an 8-track player, all ending with "Who are you?" She has tea with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare leaving more confused than when she arrived and drinking ...more
Leslie Gonzales
Been eyeing this adorable pink & gold leatherbound edition for months. On a whim I finally walked into Barnes & Noble and bought it. When I got home that same night, I finished Alice's Adventures in a sitting. Such an easy and lovable read for me; I have many, many times before. Even as an adult I feel akin to Alice still. Happy to have this on my shelf and to dive into "Other Stories" within the next few months/years, whenever that mood strikes.
Lacy Lovelace
I have the green classic bound book. I wanted to read all of his works but I have many other books that I wanted to read so I mainly focused on the Alice series. I liked parts of the book but it's difficult when the reader is trying to make sense of a nonsense world. I loved the poetry included in both stories...more was in "Through the Looking Glass." A lot of the films about Alice in Wonderland combine both stories and I notice leave out certain parts such as Humpty Dumpty, the Duchess, and Al ...more
Mandybooks
What a wonderful story… I'm a little bit ashamed of that, but it was the first time that I read this story. I'm feeling like a child again.
Rachel Lundwall
Of course I love Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Those books get 4 stars from me. I've loved them since I was a kid and will continue to love them for a long while yet.

It's the Sylvie and Bruno and other works in this collection that brought my rating down to a 3. I gave Sylvie and Bruno an honest shot (5 chapters) and appreciated the plays on words sprinkled here and there, but when it comes down to it, you have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate Victorian literat
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly
What can I say about Alice? This book has partly made me who I am! She is wonderfully innocent and curious, surrounded by a world of wonder. No film however hard they try will capture the magic.
And this Barnes and Noble edition is so beautiful it some how manages to make the story even more special!
Ally Glynn
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a very good book for all ages. Most people say it is only a children's book but I disagree. This book has imagination and creativity, something a lot of us let go of sometimes without even realizing it.

Alice is the main character in this piece. Alice is a very curious child and is wandering around when she trips and falls down a rabbit hole. When Alice comes out of this rabbit hole she no longer knows where she is. The land she has found has many magical creat
Summer
I would not have had a childhood without the works of Lowis Carroll. This book will always be my favorite. Alice in Wonderland is literary gold!I love the art on the cover and silver lined pages. The Barns and Noble leather bound edition is beautiful. Truly a great book inside and out!
Tyler
Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is about a girl Alice who gets transported into another world. I really enjoyed reading this book beacause of its great details, illustrations, likeable characters, and great story, and its just enjoyable to read. Id recomned this book to anyone.
Aaron
While ground-breaking for his time, these stories haven't stood the test of time that well, at least not for me.
Both Alice stories are just a string of events with no plot, no story line, no character development etc. Light-hearted and whimsy, yes, but I board with them, chairman of the board. Also, Alice is a brat with British imperialism/subjugation attitudes, running around telling everyone they're doing it wrong because it isn't her way of doing it. haha

Sylvie & Bruno was more of the sam
Ioana
Loved it! Read parts of it when I was young, but then I only cared about the story.
Great word-games, great metaphors (hope that's the English word for it), simply an amazing read to get you disconnected in smart way.
Lelani
Feb 20, 2014 Lelani rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I hated this book. I loved the movie as kid, and I thought that I would like this as well, but when you read it - it's like reading the experience of a drug addict that is high.
Crissy Moss
This is one of my all time favorite books. As a little girl I'd curl up with this book in my room and read about Alice and her adventures. My interest in Alice grew as I aged, and I've enjoyed so many "Wonderland" themed books, movies, games, and art pieces that I had to buy the original text to add to my collection.

Started my collection of beautiful hard bound edition books with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. This book is beautifully bound. Heavy in your hands. Has the original artwork insid
Heidi
Apr 26, 2011 Heidi added it
Shelves: book-club
Whimsical, witty, and wildly imaginative. What more can one say?... well, other than odd. (I only read the one book. It was for a Book Club.)
Precious
Apr 22, 2014 Precious added it
Shelves: 2014
Okay. I only read this copy description 192 pages.
But I can't find this copy anywhere on goodreads.It was an adorable read. I can't believe I never knew about it until recently. The only Alice I knew was from the Disney movie.. I can see where things have changed. I hope to read 'Through the looking glass' soon. That copy I have managed to find the copy that my local library has.
Abby
I've always thought of Alice's Adventure in Wonderland, Peter Pan and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as sister stories in the same family. Now that I have read all three for myself, I know that this is true. They are, after all, all classic stories of children who find themselves transported to strange and magical worlds.
I read all three within the past year, starting with Peter Pan, then Oz, and now Wonderland.
I read Peter Pan mostly because one of my good friends adores it. I liked it a lot; it's
Sara
Only read the first book in this huge set, but it was quite good. Probably will get around to the rest of it piecemeal. Never read Lewis Carroll before and I loved his use of riddles and wordplay. This will appeal to older fantasy geeks, but these crazy kids today might not like it much. Never was a fan of the original animated Disney film, but the Disney Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film is great.
Katriena Knights
Downloaded this audiobook from the Free Books app on my iPad. LibriVox version (not actually the edition pictured here). It was much better than I'd expected from a free, public domain audiobook. I did enjoy it, but Alice in Wonderland has, for me, always paled in comparison to Alice Through the Looking Glass. I'll be taking a listen to that one soon.
Cathi
This was a long indulgence for a read, but well worth it. While Alice's world is by far the best known in this book, the "Other Stories" are the draw. The tale of Sylvie and Bruno became the closest to my heart and I even shed a tear or two at some points within their stories. This is a read that needs to take its time, perhaps that one that you set aside while reading easier to digest novels, but remain the one you return to when you want something more to chew on.
CT
I am so in love with this book, I love Alice in Wonderland. I was looking to buy it somewhere when I came across this edition and ordered it within a minute. It might be a little more expensive than other editions, but this one has more stories etc. added. I love it!
Katrina
This is, and always shall be, my favorite story of all time. It is not a gentle book, but there is no better way to escape reality than with a little trip down the rabbit hole. Will read again. And again. And again. And again.
Emily
Alice is one of my most adored fictional characters. She and I have so much in common and Lewis Carroll made this beloved children's story into one that I will continue to read over and over again through adulthood.
Amber Plant
Considering this book was only 68 pages, it felt a whole lot longer. Some parts were fun and reminded me of the movie. Most of the book was downright boring, or maybe it was that it was gibberish so I lost interest?
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 2 20 Apr 27, 2015 01:19PM
FHS English 12 - ...: Week Three 15 11 Feb 27, 2015 03:42PM
Three Nerds and a...: Alice in Wonderland Discussion 1 8 Feb 01, 2013 05:09PM
Reading the Classics: Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass 29 226 Dec 10, 2012 07:43PM
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Seven Novels
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)
  • The Complete Fiction
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Jurassic World: Jurassic Park / The Lost World
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Wonderful Books of Oz: The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz (Oz, #1, 6, 14)
  • The Iliad/The Odyssey
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • Alice in Wonderland (Based on the motion picture directed by Tim Burton)
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) The Complete Stories and Poems The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition

“Only the insane equate pain with success."
"The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die."
_Cheshire Cat”
13 likes
“The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"
"Come, we shall have some fun now!", thought Alice. "I'm glad they've begun asking riddles - I believe I can guess that," she added aloud.
"Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?" said the March Hare.
"Exactly so," said Alice.
"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do," Alice hastily replied; "At least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well said that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!".
"You might just as well say," added the March Hare, "that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!".
"You might just as well say," added the Dormouse, which seemed to be talking in its sleep, "that "I breath when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breath"!".
"It is the same thing with you," said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.”
6 likes