Start by marking “Biography of a Germ” as Want to Read:
Biography of a Germ

Biography of a Germ

The philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein might say that if a microbe could talk, we couldn't understand it, but psychoanalyst and science writer Arno Karlen has done his best to listen and translate in Biography of a Germ. This lovely, funny, even endearing portrait of Borrelia burgdorferi (or Bb), the screwy bacterium that causes Lyme disease, would charm even a terminal mysop ...more
Published April 21st 2008 (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Biography of a Germ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biography of a Germ

Tony
Dec 03, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Karlen, Arno. BIOGRAPHY OF A GERM. (2000). ****. Karlen is a psychoanalyst, and has written books on history and biomedical science. He is a thoughtful writer who does his research before putting anything down on paper. He is not afraid to express his opinion, where one is called for, or against, any issue. In this book, he takes us through the life and cycle of Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), the “germ” that causes Lyme disease. We learn about its ancestry and evolution, its day-to-day life, its tra ...more
Cheryl
Oct 19, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
One of the most readable science-related books I have read -- not too much technical gobbledygook and a very clear and straightforward style. I learned things I never knew about ticks and germs and lizards, and they were actually quite interesting. The question of the source of a germ and whether it is new to science or somehow just overlooked despite its effects being well-known was fascinating to me. This discussion of the spirochetes germ that causes Lyme disease was definitely worth the read ...more
Paris Heard
Nov 22, 2015 Paris Heard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arno Karlen has created an amazing and delighful story of life told from a germs perspective. Biography of a Germ follows the story of Borrelia Burgdorferi, a germ carried by ticks. Through this story, the reader is able to view germs as something amazingly beautiful and intricate, rather than something to continuously avoid.

Borrelia Burgdorferi is a bacteria orginally contracted by animals. These animals are then fed on by ticks which then contract the bacteria as well. Over the life span of B
Christine Williams
An enjoyable book, short and sweet. The medical aspects of Lyme disease were discussed, but the majority of the book was about the bacteria that cause the disease, a refreshing change from the majority of human-centered popular science books. I think the book would be accessible to anybody with a basic high school understanding of biology.
Joshua Vm
Nov 21, 2014 Joshua Vm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Biography of a Germ by Arno Karlen is a good book. It is based on the germ Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb for short). Bb is very commonly spread through ticks as mentioned in the book. It also describes how Bb spreads, mutates, and the everyday life of the germ. The book also describes how hard it really is for bacteria to travel from one organism to another without being killed in the process. Last, Bb is the cause of the disease called Lyme disease. It causes rashes or even vomiting.

I would hi
Paul Thillen
Dec 23, 2014 Paul Thillen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn interesting and informative, and even humorous at times. His writing allows a truly non scientist like myself to understand what he's saying, no small feat. Truly, it makes me want to read more science books.
John
Oct 15, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about bacteria in general, and Borrelia burgdorferi in particular. The book is also well written and very enjoyable to read.
Amber
Feb 28, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loves this book, great way to convey science, epidemiology and many other dos iPods in a wonderful story.
Kristi
Sep 10, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
as the title says, this is a biography of a germ. not just any germ, it is the life history of the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, the cause of lyme disease. it provides a detailed look into the evolutionary history and current life cycles of Bb, as well as how and why it causes disease in people. while the book focuses exclusively on Bb, it also provides the big picture of how human impact on ecosystems has in the past and will continue in the future to provide new avenues for old germs.
Anna Banana
You won't find a more alluring book about Lyme disease. Following this tick-borne illness from its origins to modern times, Karlen is able to show how humans' impact on their environments (in this case the destruction of and subsequent restoration of deer habitats) can have far-reaching effects in the world of microbic disease.

It will also have you checking your hairline after a walk in the woods.
Josh Phenicie
very interesting. I particularly liked the authors exhalation of other biographies and why he chose to write one about a germ, near the beginning of the book. very well written and engaging.
Tim
Oct 31, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The book meanders, especially at the beginning, but all in all, it is a well-written, non-technical account of the life of the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big science person but this book was wonderful! The author is funny and puts science in terms that I understand.
Leslie
It was more dry than I was expecting, and some of it was over my head, but I still enjoyed it. Microbiologist, I am not.
Shelly
Dec 20, 2010 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some nice, fluid science writing but it was a little bit more elementary than I would have liked. A pleasant read, though.
Doug Page
If a microbe could talk, is this what it would say?
Nieko
Nieko marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Laura Belshaw
Laura Belshaw marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Anthony Meals
Anthony Meals marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Beck Ringdahl-mayland
Beck Ringdahl-mayland is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2016
Rahul Chowdhury
Rahul Chowdhury marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Stacy268
Stacy268 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Kanwalpreet Singh
Kanwalpreet Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Portia
Portia rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Future of Money
  • Kaas en de evolutietheorie
  • Gone in a Heartbeat: A Physician's Search for True Healing
  • The First Human: The Race to Discover Our Earliest Ancestors
  • Dus ik ben
  • Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections
  • Kleine landjes
  • France (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • One Renegade Cell: The Quest For The Origin Of Cancer
  • Why Can't I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease
  • Chasing Shackleton: Re-creating the World's Greatest Journey of Survival
  • Dinosaur Odyssey: Fossil Threads in the Web of Life
  • Before the Fallout: From Marie Curie to Hiroshima
  • A Volcano Beneath the Snow: John Brown's War Against Slavery
  • Who Discovered America? The Untold History of the Peopling of the Americas
  • Women of the Frontier: 16 Tales of Trailblazing Homesteaders, Entrepreneurs, and Rabble-Rousers
  • The Book of Blood: From Legends and Leeches to Vampires and Veins