Mommy by Mistake

Mommy by Mistake

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  70 reviews
No longer just her --
-- but her with a baby.

From the acclaimed bestselling author of The Accidental Mother and Another Mother's Life comes a moving novel of how having a child really does change your life...forever.

When a spur-of-the-moment romantic weekend in Venice has an unexpected outcome, Natalie Curzon thinks she's ready to take on single motherhood. But while i...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by Pocket Books (first published March 3rd 2007)

Laurel-Rain
Reminiscent of characters in the “Shopaholic” series, Rowan Coleman’s “Mommy by Mistake” follows the adventures of a thirty-something woman as she embarks on child rearing – unexpectedly.

When Natalie Curzon impulsively connects with a charming man – Jack Newhouse – and agrees to a weekend in Venice, she has no idea of the consequences that will unfold. After the weekend is over, she hopes to see him again. But he doesn’t call. And then she discovers she is pregnant.

Fortunately, she is part-owner...more
Kristen
This book was a random pull of the library shelves, which is something I rarely do anymore... but with a lack of books I wanted to read, decided to give it a try.

Story focuses on single mother struggling to care for herself and a newborn. Shows how you can find people willing to help and support you. The characters were all in various stages in life. Shows that even though we aren't exactly the same we can still relate to each other. Natalie starts out afraid of what they will think so she doesn...more
Melissa
This was a good fluff read and thats about it. I'm so tired of the British genre where the woman is a patholgical liar similar to Bridgette Jones or Marion Keyes characters. It is funny at first but then you continue to fall down the rabbit hole. There are a few surprising twists and turns that make it worth finishing.
Jenelle
This book stunk. And there are quite a few errors in it, which bugs me immensely. The plot was so corny -- but that may be my own boredom with this genre and not the book itself. I have no idea why I finished it except I am obsessive about leaving books unfinished.
Erin
Although this book was pretty good, and I did enjoy it, I felt that the ending was much too abrupt. I did not really expect the ending, but it did not feel like it was supposed to be a surprise, just that it was not well prepared throughout the rest of the book.
Stephanie
Bleck. I have liked this author's other books (Accidental Mother, Accidental Wife) but this one was not good. It also seemed to be the same story line as Jennifer Weiner's "Little Earthquakes", which I also did not like.
Amber
Really cute, clean and fun. Right time of my life to read it. Just a cute story about a single mom who joins a moms group.
Carrie
This one was not quite as good as the other Rowan Coleman books I read.
Samantha
Natalie has always been a little on the spontaneous, even flighty side, but when she meets Jack Newhouse on a train one Friday morning and ends up spending the entire weekend in Venice with him, she surprises even herself. But despite her having fallen hard for her new lover, Natalie is heartbroken when she does not hear from him again. Finding out that she is pregnant with his child does not help Natalie get over Jack any quicker either, though she refuses to actively seek him out to let him kn...more
Clare
Rowan Coleman is like a deeper Sophie Kinsella. Every character, however minor, has both flaws and virtues and remains a full whole character. I'm amazed at how poignant this chick lit novel is.

During a one-night stand in Italy with an charming man who just blew her away, Natalie gets pregnant. Since Jack never called her after the most amazing night of her life, Natalie decides to keep the baby and take a six month leave of absence from her upcoming lingerie business. That's the fiction part -...more
Debbie Seymour
This is the first book I have read by Rowan Coleman and I really enjoyed it. The storyline was good it covered a lot of different angles about mothers struggling to raise children in different circumstances from being new to motherhood, young & unmarried, older mums, adultery and stillbirth. The characters kept me interested, were strong but all had flaws. The ending might have been a bit cheesy but all up it was well written, I look forwarded to reading more of Rowan's books.
Alice
I think this book is OK, in my opinion on its literariness.

This book describes the story of Natalie Curzon, with a spur-of-the-moment romantic weekend in Venice and unexpected outcome, thinks she's ready to take on single motherhood.

Just when she's at her wit's end, a major electrical issue in her London home leads Natalie to a whole new circle of friends. There is the electrician, the assistant's young girlfriend and the mother of another surprised baby, brings the book filled with comical er...more
K
I admit it -- my chick-lit binge is in full-swing. Unlike "The Village Bride...," I would classify this more as chick-lit for the...what do you call my age group, anyway? I refuse to accept the title "middle-aged" until I'm at least 35. Surely there's a name for the post-newlywed, pre-sandwich generation? Anyway, sorry for that narcissistic and irrelevant rant. Basically, it's light, fun, and almost too unrealistic but not quite (I do want to give the characters a major reality check, but I can...more
Virginia Markhart
Borrowed from the library. Very good. This girl is seriously mixed up!! Told lies when the truth would have worked just fine. I loved the relationships between the different women and the real life problems that they each faced. I will watch for another book by this author.
Michelle Robinson
Apr 29, 2011 Michelle Robinson rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, there is much better chick lit to reccomend.
The fact that this woman had a complete inability to tell the truth was bothersome for me.

What made her totally unlikable, for me, was her willingness to justify and excuse being completely dishonest.

I found the book interesting enough to complete. However, I didn't believe in her happily-ever-after. In my mind, I imagine as soon as it is convenient,she will revert to lying again. Which would have negative affects on any relationship.

I did enjoy may of the other charachters and would have liked...more
Jenn
The last 3 or 4 pages of this book had me grinning like crazy! The author really held everything right up until the end and then just let it all come out. This book was adorably cute. I loved Natalie and how she was a strong and independent woman, but still felt vulnerable and insecure all at the same time. While at times I wanted to smack her and tell her to just tell the truth, I couldn't fault her for lying. Even though Natalie was the central character, this book would not have been half of...more
Amanda Morris
It's a chick book. This is a pretty easy read. The story focused around a group of women, mothers. It seems the book will focus only on one character mostly, but really all the women get some focus on their own individual problems and issues. I admit I was quite jealous at the closeness of these group of women. I thought the dynamics between them was written very well. They definitely showed a closeness in friendship. The ending is very predictable, but it was fun to read to see how the events u...more
Beth
Picked this up for a quick, breezy read. It turned out to be better than I expected. Everything turned out pretty much how I expected but there was an emotional pull I didn't expect.

The main character gets pregnant, by accident, and much detail of that discovery and how she adjusts to a new born is left out of the book. It concentrates on the friendships she forms with other new moms. Unrealistic at times, too much left out to be believable at times, but some interesting situations with realisti...more
Bryna Messmer
This was a very cute book. And although it took me a while to finish it, it was a quick read! :)
Carissa
I liked this book but I guess the reason I'm rating a little lower is that it was just a little too predictable for me. Especially in regards to the main character. I know this is a weird complaint, but I feel like there was a little too much of everything magically working out perfectly for all of the characters regardless of the problems that come up: Natalie and her mom, Natalie and Jack, Tiffany and her mom, Steve and Jill, etc... But not a bad read by any means.
Nancy Steinle gummel
Mommy by Mistake by Rowan Coleman was a good read. I didn't think it was my type of book, but i was pleasantly surprised. Natalies ' struggles as a single mom fitting into a group of new moms forming a baby and me group begins the story. Natalie gets caught up in a lie sbout her baby, Freddie's dad. Her mother comes to help her out and they buttheads. The baby's dad comes back into the picture. Natalie grows up and gets wiser.
Stacey
Although this book was somewhat predictable, it was enjoyable. Anyone who is a Mom can realte to Natalie's emotional rollercoaster and trepidation in paving a new path. It was touching to read about Natalie's efforts and relationships with other new Mom's.

If you are looking for a light read, I reccommend this book.
Kelli Klein
I really liked the book. I have just one complaint. I wish there was more written about Natalie's weekend fling with Jack, the father of her son. It was that weekend she fell in love with him, and he with her, but we, the reader, don't get to know all the little details of exactly why. It was a good book, though.
Valerie
I laughed out loud many times while reading this book. I think I found the situations with the new moms funny after having my 2 raised! I liked how each mom worked through her crisis and came out a stronger mom as well as a better person. I really like Rowan Coleman's books and can't wait for another!
Lisa
This turned out to be pretty poor chick lit -- not terrible, but certainly forgettable. The narrative follows several loosely-developed members of a mommies' group in Great Britain. Damningly, there were at least three typos that jumped out at me, and I wasn't even reading that closely.
Tiffanie
I LOVED this book. I also have the accidental family an the accidental mother that i'm about to start reading. I liked how there was a group of people in this story an the author was able to talk about each person an their issues but not lose sight of the actual story. a must read!
Hannah Howard
Love this book so much. really got engrossed with the characters and felt their pain and happiness throughout the book. I would really like to read another book about these characters they were lovely <3 does anyone know if their is another book about them??
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book. It had a nice mix of characters and the story often switched between them which made the book nearly impossible to put down. While I highly doubt someone like Natalie would show up in real life, it was quite fun to read about.
Erin
I absolutely loved this book!! From a new mom's perspective it hit alot of things, right on the head. For those who have thought they saw/met "the one" and it was only a fleeting moment, this will be a ray of hope for you!
Mary
light, readable, amusing. not an in-depth portrayal of a single parent's struggle to come to terms with life, but that's not what you're expecting.an enjoyable, quick read. (I remember babies crying an awful lot more, though)
What do you think of this book? 3 6 Jul 27, 2010 11:25AM
  • The Baby Trail
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Three In A Bed
  • Slummy Mummy
  • Her Kind of Trouble
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • Same As It Never Was: A Novel
Rowan Coleman lives with her husband, and five children in a very full house in Hertfordshire. She juggles writing novels with raising her family which includes a very lively set of toddler twins whose main hobby is going in the opposite directions. When she gets the chance, Rowan enjoys sleeping, sitting and loves watching films; she is also attempting to learn how to bake.

Rowan would like to liv...more
More about Rowan Coleman...
The Accidental Mother Another Mother's Life The Accidental Family Lessons in Laughing Out Loud The Happy Home for Broken Hearts

“Jill would kill me if she thought anyone fancied me," he said with charming anxiety.
"No, she wouldn't", Natalie reassured him. "We like our men to be fancied. What we do not like is for them to fancy others. That is when you risk wandering into the realm of sudden and violent death.”
3 likes
“Don't kiss me", he said, looking into Natalie's eyes. There was a second's silence. "Let me kiss you. I'm old-fashioned that way.” 3 likes