Start by marking “Mommy by Mistake” as Want to Read:
Mommy by Mistake

Mommy by Mistake

No longer just her --
-- but her with a baby.

From the acclaimed bestselling author of The Accidental Mother and Another Mother's Life comes a moving novel of how having a child really does change your life...forever.

When a spur-of-the-moment romantic weekend in Venice has an unexpected outcome, Natalie Curzon thinks she's ready to take on single motherhood. But while i
Published March 3rd 2009 by Pocket Books (first published March 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mommy by Mistake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy by Mistake

Laurel-Rain
Mar 08, 2009 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of characters in the “Shopaholic” series, Rowan Coleman’s “Mommy by Mistake” follows the adventures of a thirty-something woman as she embarks on child rearing – unexpectedly.

When Natalie Curzon impulsively connects with a charming man – Jack Newhouse – and agrees to a weekend in Venice, she has no idea of the consequences that will unfold. After the weekend is over, she hopes to see him again. But he doesn’t call. And then she discovers she is pregnant.

Fortunately, she is part-owner
Elizabeth Ray
Jun 08, 2015 Elizabeth Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story. I really enjoyed the other Coleman book I read, "The Accidental Mother" and this book was also enjoyable. Natalie has a fling weekend with Jack, who she randomly meets in the train station. Jack promised to call, but never did, and Natalie finds herself pregnant. She loves her son, Freddie, and thinks they can do just fine without a father. There is a nagging in the back of Natalie's head saying that Jack should be told, though. She wrestles with what to do.

Meanwhile, Nat
Kristen
This book was a random pull of the library shelves, which is something I rarely do anymore... but with a lack of books I wanted to read, decided to give it a try.

Story focuses on single mother struggling to care for herself and a newborn. Shows how you can find people willing to help and support you. The characters were all in various stages in life. Shows that even though we aren't exactly the same we can still relate to each other. Natalie starts out afraid of what they will think so she doesn
Melissa
Mar 07, 2010 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a good fluff read and thats about it. I'm so tired of the British genre where the woman is a patholgical liar similar to Bridgette Jones or Marion Keyes characters. It is funny at first but then you continue to fall down the rabbit hole. There are a few surprising twists and turns that make it worth finishing.
Jenelle
Nov 14, 2010 Jenelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book stunk. And there are quite a few errors in it, which bugs me immensely. The plot was so corny -- but that may be my own boredom with this genre and not the book itself. I have no idea why I finished it except I am obsessive about leaving books unfinished.
Erin
Apr 15, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was pretty good, and I did enjoy it, I felt that the ending was much too abrupt. I did not really expect the ending, but it did not feel like it was supposed to be a surprise, just that it was not well prepared throughout the rest of the book.
Dannii2601
Sep 28, 2015 Dannii2601 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I read this on a train journey with a hangover, and it did what I needed it to do - distracted me without demanding too much of me. Pretty predictable, nothing amazing about it and the editing was APPALLING, to the extent that it made the book annoying to read, but it was an OK book. The writing wasn't amazing and some of the characters were pretty generic and two-dimensional - the author relies a lot on telling you that someone is weird / strange / quirky / brave / interesting, without really g ...more
Stephanie
Bleck. I have liked this author's other books (Accidental Mother, Accidental Wife) but this one was not good. It also seemed to be the same story line as Jennifer Weiner's "Little Earthquakes", which I also did not like.
Amber
Apr 07, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute, clean and fun. Right time of my life to read it. Just a cute story about a single mom who joins a moms group.
Carrie
Mar 10, 2010 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was not quite as good as the other Rowan Coleman books I read.
Samantha
Natalie has always been a little on the spontaneous, even flighty side, but when she meets Jack Newhouse on a train one Friday morning and ends up spending the entire weekend in Venice with him, she surprises even herself. But despite her having fallen hard for her new lover, Natalie is heartbroken when she does not hear from him again. Finding out that she is pregnant with his child does not help Natalie get over Jack any quicker either, though she refuses to actively seek him out to let him kn ...more
Clare
Jun 23, 2012 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowan Coleman is like a deeper Sophie Kinsella. Every character, however minor, has both flaws and virtues and remains a full whole character. I'm amazed at how poignant this chick lit novel is.

During a one-night stand in Italy with an charming man who just blew her away, Natalie gets pregnant. Since Jack never called her after the most amazing night of her life, Natalie decides to keep the baby and take a six month leave of absence from her upcoming lingerie business. That's the fiction part -
Debbie Seymour
Apr 19, 2014 Debbie Seymour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Rowan Coleman and I really enjoyed it. The storyline was good it covered a lot of different angles about mothers struggling to raise children in different circumstances from being new to motherhood, young & unmarried, older mums, adultery and stillbirth. The characters kept me interested, were strong but all had flaws. The ending might have been a bit cheesy but all up it was well written, I look forwarded to reading more of Rowan's books.
Shannon
I picked this book up on my quest for a story typical of this kind of genre; multiple characters with interweaving stories but all focussed around a central theme, in this case, babies! Although as can be expected, there are numerous subplots for each of the various characters from family dynamics to love interests. In a way, this book essentially did deliver what was expected, but I couldn't help feeling it was just a little flat in places. While the story follows the lives of several character ...more
Melissa
Sep 14, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was borrowed this book by a friend. I was a little surprised as we are both child free, and was expecting a mushy tale of baby changing the lead characters life instantly for the better, and yada yada. While the ending was a little cheesy, the story itself was the opposite. Twisted, real as far as sacrifice goes, and actually not very much related to the baby.
Alice
Dec 22, 2013 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is OK, in my opinion on its literariness.

This book describes the story of Natalie Curzon, with a spur-of-the-moment romantic weekend in Venice and unexpected outcome, thinks she's ready to take on single motherhood.

Just when she's at her wit's end, a major electrical issue in her London home leads Natalie to a whole new circle of friends. There is the electrician, the assistant's young girlfriend and the mother of another surprised baby, brings the book filled with comical er
K
May 01, 2007 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I admit it -- my chick-lit binge is in full-swing. Unlike "The Village Bride...," I would classify this more as chick-lit for the...what do you call my age group, anyway? I refuse to accept the title "middle-aged" until I'm at least 35. Surely there's a name for the post-newlywed, pre-sandwich generation? Anyway, sorry for that narcissistic and irrelevant rant. Basically, it's light, fun, and almost too unrealistic but not quite (I do want to give the characters a major reality check, but I can ...more
Annaeus
Jun 10, 2016 Annaeus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also called "The babygroup", which I prefer as a title, this book is an insight into the life of young mommies, each one very different from the other. I advise it to anyone who's interested in motherhood and who's been charmed by Rowan Coleman's writing like I had for months.
Virginia Markhart
Borrowed from the library. Very good. This girl is seriously mixed up!! Told lies when the truth would have worked just fine. I loved the relationships between the different women and the real life problems that they each faced. I will watch for another book by this author.
Michelle Robinson
Apr 29, 2011 Michelle Robinson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, there is much better chick lit to reccomend.
The fact that this woman had a complete inability to tell the truth was bothersome for me.

What made her totally unlikable, for me, was her willingness to justify and excuse being completely dishonest.

I found the book interesting enough to complete. However, I didn't believe in her happily-ever-after. In my mind, I imagine as soon as it is convenient,she will revert to lying again. Which would have negative affects on any relationship.

I did enjoy may of the other charachters and would have liked
Carla J
Jul 09, 2015 Carla J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the trials and tribulations of Natalie and her baby group. They are funny, struggling new parents who pull together to get through the first months of new babies.
Jenn
The last 3 or 4 pages of this book had me grinning like crazy! The author really held everything right up until the end and then just let it all come out. This book was adorably cute. I loved Natalie and how she was a strong and independent woman, but still felt vulnerable and insecure all at the same time. While at times I wanted to smack her and tell her to just tell the truth, I couldn't fault her for lying. Even though Natalie was the central character, this book would not have been half of ...more
Tammy
Apr 06, 2015 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowan Coleman is one of my favorite writers of women's fiction. Plus she's British, so there's that...
Kerry Grantham reilly
It was all way to "twee" for me, very predictable from start to finish.
Shierly
Jan 22, 2015 Shierly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never thought I would like the book but I love it...not your usual love story!
Jules (Never enough time to read)
Probably closer to a 3.5* rating

The story was good and the audio book was very easy to listen too. Yes it was a tad predictable and I liked some of the characters more than others, but overall it was an entertaining read.
Amanda Morris
It's a chick book. This is a pretty easy read. The story focused around a group of women, mothers. It seems the book will focus only on one character mostly, but really all the women get some focus on their own individual problems and issues. I admit I was quite jealous at the closeness of these group of women. I thought the dynamics between them was written very well. They definitely showed a closeness in friendship. The ending is very predictable, but it was fun to read to see how the events u ...more
Beth
Jul 31, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up for a quick, breezy read. It turned out to be better than I expected. Everything turned out pretty much how I expected but there was an emotional pull I didn't expect.

The main character gets pregnant, by accident, and much detail of that discovery and how she adjusts to a new born is left out of the book. It concentrates on the friendships she forms with other new moms. Unrealistic at times, too much left out to be believable at times, but some interesting situations with realisti
Leira Carola
Aug 26, 2015 Leira Carola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, light, but a little predictable. A bit like a fairytale. I don't especially like the end.
S Miller
Used - Very Good
What do you think of this book? 3 6 Jul 27, 2010 11:25AM
  • The Baby Trail
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife
  • Gold of Kings
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • Her Kind of Trouble
  • School of Fortune
Rowan Coleman lives with her husband, and five children in a very full house in Hertfordshire. She juggles writing novels with raising her family which includes a very lively set of toddler twins whose main hobby is going in the opposite directions. When she gets the chance, Rowan enjoys sleeping, sitting and loves watching films; she is also attempting to learn how to bake.

Rowan would like to liv
More about Rowan Coleman...

“Jill would kill me if she thought anyone fancied me," he said with charming anxiety.
"No, she wouldn't", Natalie reassured him. "We like our men to be fancied. What we do not like is for them to fancy others. That is when you risk wandering into the realm of sudden and violent death.”
3 likes
“Don't kiss me", he said, looking into Natalie's eyes. There was a second's silence. "Let me kiss you. I'm old-fashioned that way.” 3 likes