Sew Subversive: Down & Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista

Sew Subversive: Down & Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Sew Subversive is about making fashion your own, whether it's embellishing or customizing off-the-rack clothing or transforming clothes that have lost that loving feeling. The three twenty-something co-owners of Stitch Lounge, an urban sewing studio in San Francisco, teach you, in plain, fun language, how to do it, whether you're hand sewing, machine sewing, or, in a few c...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Taunton Press (first published September 1st 2006)

The Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonCradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly Coyne
Being "Green"
25th out of 244 books — 150 voters
Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing by Gretchen HirschHow to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. McCunnThe Colette Sewing Handbook by Sarai MitnickThe Party Dress Book by Mary  AdamsThe Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff
Sewing library
29th out of 31 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
If you are new to sewing clothing than Sew Subversive is a great place to start. The book starts off with hand-sewing basics: the different stitches, mending, sewing a button back on, patching things up, and hemming. Next the book goes over machine sewing - how to use your machine, finding the right machine for you, the different machine stitches, etc. Next the book covers supplies you'll need, fabric choices and notions.

Finally, it's project time!

The very first project teaches you how to create...more
Teresa
Dec 15, 2007 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning seamstresses, crafters
I've seen the authors of this book about town for a while, because they run a really cute shop in San Francisco - a sewing lounge, actually. The idea is great - you can come in and take a class centered around a project, or you can rent out a machine by the hour, and the staff will help you out with any questions or dilemmas that arise.

So, these girls know from direct experience (they're self-taught) and client interactions all about the problems that new seamstresses face. And their first book...more
Jul 12, 2007 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sewers, crafters
Shelves: crafty
I was excited to see this new DIY sewing book in the new books section of the library, as I've been eyeing it on-line for awile. However I have mixed feelings about the book after reading it. Sew Subversive offers the begining sewer and "Fashionista" very practical advice at the beginning of the book on a number of topics including, choosing a sewing machine and how to thread it, hand-sewing, understanding fabrics, reading a pattern, organizing supplies and other nitty gritty. Much of this infor...more
jess
Jan 10, 2008 jess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, craft
yet another sewing book with "subversive" in the title! just what we all needed! usually i'm a fan of punny alliteration, but this trend is overdone.

about the contents, though: this is a pretty solid basic intro for the people who never learned to sew, and might be intimidated by the craft. i felt like the basic principles were covered fairly, and there was some attention paid to the subjects of appliqués & embellishments. if you are looking for more detailed or specific info about special...more
Jupiter
It's a good introduction to sewing novices with lots of information for noobs on sewing,in general. For those who have been sewing & refashioning their own clothes for many years, it's a good book for idea prompts.

ANNOYANCE: The finished projects in the photographs look sloppy and rushed. I "get" (and cultivate myself) the rough/DIY look and perhaps threads were left hanging and seams not sewn straight to convey the message to beginners ,"You can do this yourself,too!" but it bothered me to...more
Hope
Helpful book and fun, but I personally didn't find any projects that appealed to me.
Lotus
I liked this one quite a bit. Like their other book, Subversive Seamster, it had lots of great tips and I learned what ruching was as well as how to make ruffles!

I also enjoyed learning about making those awesome but too small tees wearable again!

So definitely some great projects - I know my daughter can't wait for me to be sewing animal ears on to all her hoodies!

This is another one i got out of the library and I was able to learn what I need to as well as jot down some info in a notebook befo...more
Kristy
This book caught my eye last week... "Sew Subversive... Down and Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista", put out by Stitch Lounge.

All in all it's a great book! Within the pages are heaps of inspiring photos and projects, as well as a run down on the basics of sewing at the beginning of the book.

Who would have thought to make a tote out of your favourite (but too old to wear) labelled t.shirt... or to make legwarmers from the arms of an old jumper!

I really enjoyed the 'down-to-earth' projects in...more
Jamie
Oct 02, 2007 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sewers, crafters, beginners
I got this as a birthday gift to compliment my new sewing machine, and it is a blast. It has a whole section on "the basics" of sewing--good for first timers or as a refresher course--along with lots of tips. This was my first introduction to the idea of "refashioning," which is basically making new clothes out of old clothes. I'm getting really into it, and love the easy tips and illustrations in the book as well as the cute-and-funky narrative style.
Emily
I liked the authors' other book better. This one, while containing great sewing tips for those who don't sew, didn't have many projects that caught my eye. The only one I think I might ever make is the tote bag from a sweatshirt. The clothing stuff is too young a look for me. Not bad, just not as much to my tastes.
Nikkishell
A cool little project book but not my cup of tea. Although i like to refashion the projects are not stuff i would make. Saying that though there are some fabulous ideas in here and they show you how to do particular techniques that could be used in many ways.
Jeanne T.
I bought this on a whim and wasn't too excited about the project within. It seemed like a book I would have really loved when I was about 22--It's got that "riot grrrl cuts up her own t-shirt" feel. Buy this for a crafty tween girl with a punky streak.
Sara
This book, on the other hand, isn't even good looking. Beyond that, some of the projects in here (dare I say half?) are downright ugly. Nothing in here I'd make.
They also spend (as most books of this sort do) WAY too long going over sewing basics.
Erica
The actual patterns and ideas for clothes are slightly repulsive, but their actual introduction to sewing is fabulous. They helped me thread the machine for the first time all by myself, which was quite surprising.
Cathy
Although a majority of the book focuses on actual patterns and the like, the first quarter deals with basic sewing information about machines, materials and fabrics for the Newbie sewer. That is perfect for me.
Cherie
B-/C+ Skimmed much of it. Not too many practical tips or good patterns, and nothing too new in here that you wouldn't be able to find in any much better sewing books. For the hipster who isn't a serious sewer.
Dee
Sep 24, 2007 Dee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginning Sewers
Good book to get you started sewing. Simple, easy to understand explanations of sewing machine, types of fabric, stitches, etc. Includes several beginning sewing projects. Great graphics, diagrams.
Heather
Apr 29, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to sew, darn it.
Shelves: craft-books
It starts from looking at the sewing machine and showing you everything from how to drop in your bobbin to making hoodies with dinosaur spikes. I'm not sure I could ask for more.
Cy
Good, simple approach to sewing. Some of the clearest language I've come across. Some of the projects are nice - others are a bit pokey.
Hope
Fun to flip through. It's a bit too simplistic for experienced sewers but doesn't have enough instruction for an actual beginner.
reed
Not a ton of ideas that are directly applicable to the sewing I want to learn how to do, but a fun and inspiring book nonetheless.
Lietta
Nope, not for me; but definitely for people who are more creative and skilled in the art of sewing, designing.
Cari
Sep 10, 2007 Cari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: funky diy fashionistas
Shelves: have-read
has some fun ideas on what to do with your old stuff, but a little too funky for what i am doing at the moment.
crafty_puppy
*OWN IT*
LOVE this book. really great ideas. full color photos. gets you very EXCITED about sewing!
Julie
The projects are OK, but the overviews, how tos, and conversational style are great.
Rebecca
Most of the stuff was okay, but my reaction was "but why would you want to wear that?".
Beth
Ugly projects and half the book was wasted on how to operate a sewing machine.
Gus
Great intro, but the projects are really dated and unappealing(to me!).
Jen
A little too funky for me! Some good basic sewing information though.
Emma (Miss Print)
Would have liked more pictures of the stuff people made.
  • Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • ReadyMade: How to Make [Almost] Everything: A Do-It-Yourself Primer
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Sew Everything Workshop
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags