Start by marking “Fashionistas” as Want to Read:
Fashionistas

Fashionistas

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Life at Fashionista magazine can be a real bitch. Especially when you work for one.

Vig Morgan finally worked her way out of the assistant-for-the-bitch-from-hell trenches only to get stuck in a sea of editors. But Vig isn't like the other associate editors at the aggressively hip and overwhelmingly current Fashionista magazine. For one thing, she couldn't care less which s
Published January 1st 2005 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fashionistas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashionistas

Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
Best Red Dress Ink Books
31st out of 107 books — 21 voters
I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
No Young Adult Best Chick Lit Reads
138th out of 291 books — 306 voters

More lists with this book...

Kourtney
It's never good when I finish a book and think "Oh thank GOODNESS I'm done with this!" I think this stems from my mother instilling in me the need to finish what I started. I found nothing enjoyable about this book, and what was so disappointing was the hype that I built up in my head about this book.

The story is about a bunch of self-absorbed one dimensional characters trying to bring down their wannabe "Miranda Priestly" from Devil Wears Prada editor. Only difference is that Devil Wears Prada
Eva
I actually enjoyed this more than the Devil Wears Prada, which is very similar in subject matter but much, much more popular. Fashionistas is not your standard "chick lit" with its deadpan main character and its experimental form and style. It seems like the author and Maya, the main character's best friend, have something in common. I guess it doesn't please everyone, but I liked it. It could have used some more editing, though perhaps that was just my old and cheap edition.
I picked it up thinking it would be a cheap knock off of the Devil Wears Prada. And it was.
Chibineko
Reading Fashionistas was like eating cotton candy. It was light, fluffy, cute, but had no real substance to it. Throughout the book I found myself fighting between being entertained & being bored.

The plot surrounds a junior editor (Vig) of the fictional magazine Fashionista who was just trying to keep her head above water when a group of her co-workers propose the idea to get rid of their demanding & selfish boss Jane. Their idea? Get her to sign off on the plan to create an issue surro
Ifnur Hikmah
Vig Morgan, 29 tahun, redaktur madya di majalah Fashionista. Fashionista ini majalah yang fokusnya ke selebriti. Love, life, home and décor, anything, semuanya related to celebrity. Majalah ini dipimpin oleh Jane McNaill, editor in chief yang enggak banget. Plin plan, galak, egois, moody, tapi kerjanya enggak bener. Ketika Fashionista kedatangan kepala editorial yang baru, Marguerite blablabla *sumpah, namanya panjang banget. Semua nama belakang mantan suaminya disebut-sebut*, Jane yang notabene ...more
Lori Anaple
You know how when you have a nice enough neighbor and you say hello across the yard and it is pleasant? Now imagine that the neighbor came over and kept talking to you. The conversation doesn't necessarily make you want to poke your eyes out with red hot spears, but you don't want to invite them in and pour a glass of wine either. You know what I am talking about. That is this book.

No character development at all. Vig just works. That is it. Nothing else. Even her bit of a romantic interest is i
Rebecca
Now this book wasn't too bad. Mainly because it was about office politics and not really about lurve and boys and stuff. Girl and coworkers deivse a place to overthrow the current editor at the magazine were they work. Their plan hinges on another editor owing Girl a favour, but when she digs deeper, she finds out that the editor who apparently owes her a favour, no longer really works for the company and his assistant is doing all the work. He's the rom-interest and at first you hate him, but b ...more
Melanie
I don't know why my library had this tagged as "romance", since it wasn't at all a romance. This is a story of a woman finding herself in the frothy, fluffy world of fashion magazines, but without the silliness that usually comes with the finding of oneself. The writing was head and shoulders above the typical chick lit style, with almost a literary feel, and the story was fast-paced and engaging. Two complaints - the characters are thrown at you quickly, so that it is hard to remember who one i ...more
Melissa
Not enough romance. Interesting story about working at a magazine and trying to get the editor fired.
Andrea Ika
akhirnya buku ini selesau juga dibaca. Buku yang saya baca adalah versi terjemahan yang diterbitkan PT Gramedia.
Cerita diawali oleh kerjasama antara Vig dengan Allison, Sarah , Kate untuk menyingkirkan Jane. Ada beberapa hal yang membuat saya tersenyum saat membaca novel ini, seperti saat kedatangan Marguerite pertama saat rapat, usaha Jane agar Marguerite terlambat naik pesawat, tentang Alex yang galak dll

Makin ke belakang kecepatan membaca semakin berkurang, isinya yang diawal menarik jadi mem
Stephanie
This was okay...I noticed the author has written other books. I may check out something else she has written.
Bethany
Well, I know why it was in the Little Free Library...
sinta nisfuanna
Inti ceritanya sih tentang rencana penggulingan pemimpin, tapi malah lebih banyak mendeskripsikan tokoh-tokoh yang tidak terlalu berperan dalam cerita. Selain itu juga masih bingung dengan Vig yang dianggap sebagai faktor penentu, soalnya gak terlalu berpengaruh sepanjang Vig menjalankan misi. Sepertinya niat si penulis untuk mendeskripsikan tokoh-tokoh supaya ada bahan buat ketawa, tapi malah bikin ceritanya membosankan. Tapi aku suka kejutan di akhir cerita tentang latar belakang perseteruan J ...more
Veronica Widya
My comment is just the same with other.
when i finished this book i like feel " finally.. " fiuhh..
i dont want to be mean, but i really not enjoy read this book.
the character are weak, and its like theres no beginning. It just start in the middle and so on.
it just tell about Allison who ask Vig to dump Jane, and at the end we find out that Allison did that because marguarate tell her so.
and theres just a bit romance that dont have happy ending.
i just feel bad about this book.
Britt
had to read something light and fluffy after "the road"...picked this up on the discount shelf at b&n. my husband said "do you realize that the recommendation on the cover is from lindsay lohan? i don't even know you any more." i think that about sums it up. nothing too serious...pretty silly and every once in a while there was even a nugget of a literary reference to keep nerds like me entertained.
Dominique
This is almost the same book as the Devil Wears Prada but it is not as well written. I didn't love it but I wanted to see what the heck the whole plot of the book was even about and seriously you didn't know until the end. So I hated that. I liked the unexpected romance and I loved the very end. But would I recommend it....... only if you have nothing else to read.
Jennifer A.M.
Jul 31, 2008 Jennifer A.M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for a beach read or chick lit
An easy chick lit read about a young woman named Vig who works at a fashion magazine. She is coerced into a plot to overthrow the editor in chief of the magazine, and of course things go awry. It starts out a little slow - but I thought the ending was kind of fun even though it was pretty predictable. I needed something light and this was a good choice.
Kirsten Kowalewski
Jan 12, 2008 Kirsten Kowalewski rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kirsten by: My book group
Eh... Cute I guess, but none of the characters are particularly likable and their motivations usually don't seem to make sense. I like the Jesus in Drag art show though. Building an issue of a celebrity fashion magazine around Jesus was kinda painful to read and yet somehow bizarrely entertaining.
Sara
Feb 23, 2008 Sara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
I thought this book would be part "The Devil Wears Prada" with some of the "Shopaholic" series thrown in, but it wasn't. I was very disappointed with this bland, non-humorous book about a group of girls at a fashion magazine who come up with a plan to get rid of their overbearing, bitchy boss.
Trish
It didn't get good until the end. I didn't like how the characters and scenes kept changing too much and there were times when the timeline was going back and forth. I wanted to read this because I wanted it to be light and easy. It was light for sure. Oh and it's the kind of ending I like!
Leanne Ellis
this book was just ok. its short chapters reminded me of girl, interrupted but unlike that book the short chapters weren't recalling bursts of a memory so seemed strange rather than quaint.

unlike other reviews I didn't overly see it as a devil wears, prada knock off
Nuria
Konflik dan intrik nampaknya selalu terjadi di kantor majalah wanita, dan ngga tanggung2 ada konspirasi tingkat atas di kantor tersebut!
Setelah susah payah menyelesaikan buku ini, saya pun semakin yakin kalau dunia majalah wanita adalah dunia yang kejam
Jennie
I am finally done with this book. It's the first book I read after returning to work from my 3 month maternity leave. I think if I had enjoyed it more I would have had it done a lot sooner. It was an okay book but nothing I would recommend.
angrykitty
this was an ok book candy read, but i didn't really like the main character, so....what to do...the book is kinda boring if you don't care about the main character and what happens to her....kinda like the hills...it's why i don't watch...
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2008- I like the author's breezy writing style, but I felt like the characters weren't very well developed and I kept confusing them. Plus, the main character had like no life outside the office, so she was a bit of a mystery.
Vanessa Schulz
This book is along the same lines of "The Devil Wears Prada" but more revenge-filled than the former. In a way it's a funnier and guiltier pleasure than Devil and those who enjoy that story will definitely like this one.
S.
This was more enjoyable than I expected. Vig Morgan's narrative grounds the story and makes her very likable. I like the insider background and Vig's ability to read situations and solve problems without confrontations.
Kana Haya
its about how is the life when you are working on a fashion magazine which has a fully credit as the most fashionable magazine. however, i found the magz somehow is imaging the fashion magazine, Elle.
Sharal Hunter
Enjoyable book with a surprise twist at the end; actually a couple surprises I didn't see coming. I really liked the Delia character.
Kristiana
This book was surprisingly interesting, almost even inspiring. I expected it to just be fluffy mediocre chick lit, but it was better than mediocre. And I got it at a discounted price, which was nice.
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Younger
  • Like Mother, Like Daughter
  • Lucy's Launderette
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Getting Personal
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • Tart
  • Single White E-Mail
  • Me Times Three
Lynn Messina is author of ten novels, including the best-selling Fashionistas, which has been translated into sixteen languages, and a series of Regency romance novels. Her essays have appeared in Self, American Baby and the New York Times Modern Love column, and she’s a regular contributor to the Times Motherlode blog. She lives in New York City with her husband and sons.
More about Lynn Messina...
Little Vampire Women Tallulahland The Girls' Guide to Dating Zombies MIM Warner's Lost Her Cool The Harlow Hoyden: A Regency Romance