Start by marking “Drummer In the Dark” as Want to Read:
Drummer In the Dark

Drummer In the Dark (Marcus Glenwood #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  214 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In a rip-roaring plot that could be torn from tomorrow’s headlines, bestselling author T. Davis Bunn weaves political intrigues and disturbing moral dilemmas into a chillingly credible portrait of the cutthroat world of international finance.
Jackie Havilland is working in an Orlando detective agency when she is approached with an unusual request: Esther Hutchings, wife of
Published March 5th 2002 by Doubleday (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Drummer In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer In the Dark

Shihab Azhar
May 01, 2012 Shihab Azhar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will be honest - I really struggled to finish this book. Not that it wasn't riveting - I can't ever imagine I'm going to be able to read another thriller on international debt relief again. The plot was great, and really sheds light on how politics works (it's a bit difficult to explain without giving away spoilers). It's just that some of the writing- the imagery, the style etc. - somehow didn't really appeal to me. The atmosphere of the book seems so dark and covered in an unending gray that ...more
Ingrid
Apr 03, 2011 Ingrid rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. However, I will be first to admit that my level of knowledge regarding hedge funds and forex is very limited. I found the book confusing but I am sure that a more knowledgeable person would have enjoyed it more.
Mary
Sep 12, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would love to give this book more than 3 stars, but I can't do it. The story line is intriguing and the premise is terrifyingly real. However, understanding derivatives in the financial sector is apparently above my abilities. No matter how many times I read the explanations, I came away knowing that I was missing something and that took away some of my enjoyment in reading the book. My other complaint is that there were so many players that I a hard time keeping track. It was one of those boo ...more
Kellee
I started this book multiple times. I had randomly picked up The Great Divide during college and just devoured it. Drummer in the Dark is apparently book 2 of the series, and I'm still not sure why.. Marcus Glenwood isn't even in the book. Not that its bad, just fyi.

Drummer is about forex trading, aka hedge funds. Because of this, the book was dense reading for me. I've never taken a business or economics class beyond high school. The characters also fell flat, and I never got to know them as pe
Kara Jorges
This book gets off to a slow start, taking a bit too long to let us in on what’s going on, but once it gets going, it’s not bad.

Wynn Bryant is a man of means who obviously travels in better circles than I do, since at a mere suggestion from his sister, he becomes an interim Congressman. He wanders around DC without a clue until he gets dragged on a journey to Rome and Cairo, and gets pulled into some hefty intrigue.
Jackie Burke is a windsurfer with a crappy job who suddenly gets hired by the wif
Ginny
Dec 21, 2013 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Wynn Bryant lost his wife, became a multimillionaire when he sold his dot.com, and won a patent infringement suit against a competitor - all in the same month. Since then, he has drifted aimlessly, until he is recruited to run in a special election for the Congressional seat held by a firebrand who has been disabled by a stroke. Wynn is supposed to be just a placeholder for the next 18 months, and he has been charged with the task of killing the "Jubilee Amendment" to an omnibus spending bill. A ...more
Laurie Stoll
Drummer in the Dark is the first book I have read from this author. I enjoyed this story very much. It has mystery, suspense, great characters and is very fast paced. I am looking forward to reading other books by T. Davis Bunn.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of book. About currency and world politics. Probably would be a gret book for those interested in that subject matter.
Mary
Oct 12, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wynn new senator, is asked to veto a trade law - financial thriller
Connie
Even with the many surprises at the end, I am giving this book a rating of three. Perhaps it would be great for one who understands high finance, the stock market, and national and international banking, but it was often over my head, and therefore less enjoyable. Also,I had to frequently return to my list of characters to keep everyone straight. This has not been the case for me in reading Grisham. I am still glad I read the book. It was another eye opener, this time to the potential for abuse ...more
Roey Martz
Feb 17, 2014 Roey Martz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d
Boring, didn't finish
Rob Selwitz
Too technical
Tina Hunt
Apr 23, 2012 Tina Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to stop reading. At first I thought that I would be put off by the intense focus on finance--which I knew nothing about. I was hooked and when I was done I ended up going to the internet to do some more research. I was thankful that I was reading this on my Nook (an e check out from our local library) because that afforded me the opportunity to look up the words that I didn't know with out leaving that page! I like the way this author stretches my mind and my faith. I recommend it ...more
Marliss
Nov 05, 2010 Marliss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard for me to give an "amazing" rating to a fiction book unless it illuminates my spiritual walk in some way. But I really liked this book. I appreciated the struggle of the main character as he remained true to himself but changed in ways that basically redeemed his prior behavior.

I like T. Davis Bunn as an author because most of his books have a depth of plot and character that keep my interest, and keep me reading far later than I should, lol.
Amy
Oct 02, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book with an eye opening view of a side of Wall Street that is a little scary to know. I do agree the details of forex trading were sometimes hard to follow, but necessary to understand what was going on -- fortunately my husband is a professor of finance, so when I had questions I had a ready source of help available. I think the plot was excellent, though, so if you can use those details to enrich the read, you won't go away disappointed.
Melanie
If you're into derivatives trading and politics, you'd probably love this book, but I found much of it tedious. The premise is startling and the plot solid, but the storyline is overshadowed by the necessary exposition of forex and the trading/banking industry. A small percentage of readers might have the necessary background knowledge to fully "get" this book, but even with my banking background I got bogged down in the details.
Nick Woodall
A good novel. Suspenseful and interesting.
Clifford King
great book keeps you on the edge right to the last page
Jodi
Jun 26, 2012 Jodi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Just couldn't get into this book so I skimmed it to finish it. Picked it up off the free shelf at the library and that is where it will be placed back on when I go the the library later today!
Jim Magwood
Sep 24, 2012 Jim Magwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If anything puts today into perspective with the Dust Bowl days, this will. It will shake you and drag those tears out. Excellent.
Tulsi
May 26, 2012 Tulsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Such a timely book even though it was written over a decade ago
Stephanie Blackbern
I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham
Janet
Dec 23, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Intelligently and believably written. Very timely.
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Brenda Fronsee
Brenda Fronsee is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
KR
KR added it
Jan 30, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
N Printzcess
N Printzcess rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
  • My Soul to Keep
  • Blind Justice
  • The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney
  • The Trial
  • Dread Champion
  • Necessary Measures (Healing Touch Series, #2)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Marcus Glenwood (3 books)
  • The Great Divide