Start by marking “Voyage” as Want to Read:
Voyage

Voyage

In the tradition of great seafaring adventures, The Voyage is an intricately plotted, superbly detailed, and gripping story of adventure and courage. Pulitzer Prize-winning author Philip Caputohas written a timeless novel about the dangerous reverberating effects of long held family secrets.
On a June morning in 1901, Cyrus Braithwaite orders his three sons to set sail fro
Published January 21st 2009 by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage

Judy Hamilton
Great story and writing lost in a technique that makes you want to throw the book against the wall. Told by an unknown roommate of a woman who envisions every detail of what her ancestors did and said on their amazing voyage, but who doesn't know the end of the story, so makes one up. Very annoying. Caputo calls himself a "shorehugger," but researched sailing and does not discriminate in telling us everything he learned. Can't recommend it unless you really, really like to read about sailing.
Maddie
Mar 30, 2012 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The voyage taught the lesson young men learn in battle: that the world is indifferent to our fates; that life is fragile and our grip on it tenuous; that when the great crisis comes, though we may face it bravely and act well, we are nevertheless not as brave or as good as we might have hopped"
JP Canny
Jul 21, 2013 JP Canny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Great read, well done and he weaves in personal histories just when you have it all figured out!
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 Whitaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Carl R.
May 16, 2012 Carl R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read his wonderful Crossers I’ve been meaning to get back to Philip Caputo. Here I am with The Voyage, and I shouldn’t have waited so long.

Crossers is set in the Arizona desert and chronicles the world of illegals--the migrants, the racketeers on both sides of the border, law enforcement, and the landowners caught in between. I found there a myriad of mythic parallels, including a descent into the underworld. The setting for The Voyage couldn’t be more different. Although Arizona a
Mr
Jul 11, 2014 Mr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An often-exciting, intentionally old-fashioned novel (in the wayfaring spirit of Joseph Conrad) about fathers and sons and the sea, THE VOYAGE also ventures into the fog-shrouded realm of what goes on within families that shapes each successive generation. The Braithwaites are: “more a tribe than a family … a consanguineous commonwealth of patriarchs and matriarchs” (p22). In 1901, the patriarch is Cyrus Braithwaite, who is as hard and salty as the places where he made his fortune: the granite q ...more
Al
Oct 09, 2009 Al rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of four teenagers who, in 1902, sailed a 46 foot boat from Maine to Florida. The story itself is often gripping, and Mr. Caputo's depictions of the people and situations the boys encounter along the way are very well done.
For me, at least, the story suffers from Mr. Caputo's decision to set the whole thing within the context of a very murky and Gothic family situation. This problem is exacerbated by the way he dribbles out the background details over the entire course of the b
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow -- this immediately became a must-keep book. It's an incredibly vivid story of 3 young brothers at sea at the turn of the century, trying to prove to themselves and their father their courage and worthiness, really, as they sail the family schooner from Maine to the Florida Keys on their own. Told alternately by the boys themselves, and helped along by one of their granddaughters who is piecing the story together through old journals and albums, it's obviously largely a nautical journey, but ...more
Randall Wood
Oct 04, 2012 Randall Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an immense work, and probably underestimated. Three young boys are bundled off onto the family schooner without explanation by their laconic and morose father. Months later, and many nautical miles away, they find answers to their questions.

In the meantime, Caputo's prose is dense and delicious, with a keen sense of character, and strong talent for narration, and a surprisingly and immensely enjoyable knowledge of historical navigation and maritime lore. I was surprised by such details o
Cecelia Hightower
One June 1901 morning the lead person in this book ordered his three sons ages sixteen, fifteen, and thirteen to set sail in the family's forty-six foot schooner and not return until sometime in September of the same year. He fully outfitted the vessel, provided some cash, and sent them on their way with no explanation. One of the lead person's great-granddaughter is trying to put together a family record of what transpired and why. To me, the story jumps around too much, is very disjointed, and ...more
Artnoose Noose
Jan 26, 2008 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Artnoose by: Moxie Marlinspike
This is a story about a man who places his three sons--- ages 11, 13, and 16 I think--- at the helm of his sailboat in the beginning of summer and says he doesn't want to see them until the end of September.

No wait, it's a story about a woman searching through the skeletons in her family's past, and wondering why one of her ancestors abandoned his children in a boat.

But really, it's an illustration of the turning point from the era of sailing without motors to the presence of the nearly ubiquito
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite getting bogged down at times in an overabundance of nautical detail, Caputo has produced a fascinating account of a mysterious voyage undertaken by three young adolescents at the directive of their father. Banished onboard their schooner Double Eagle and sent from their summer home in Maine with orders not to return before September, the boys set sail for Florida, hoping to locate (and perhaps salvage) a shipwreck that had been the scene of a major turning point in their own father’s lif ...more
Kathrina
Caputo has a new book coming out this week, Crossers, which looks intriguing, so I decided to do some homework and read one of his backlist. I am so grateful I picked this one up. It's a fascinating adventure story, sailing the Atlantic Coast of America at the turn of the century. What makes it more absorbing is the ongoing familial mystery of our main characters, three teenage boys whose father has set them to sail and told them not to return until autumn. The characters are brilliantly develop ...more
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some amazing descriptions in this book that are so vivid, you feel as if you are there which is pretty amazing since I have never been trapped on a small boat during a hurricane with 50 foot plus waves approaching...this was a great adventure story, and a great boys coming of age story with some mystery thrown in as you wonder how a father can banish his children like that. I know what it is like to set out on an adventure, by doing travel nursing, and just looking at a map and heading ...more
Cynthia
Jan 26, 2016 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really glad the author cleared up a host of mysteries for me in the last chapter. I will not share them all with you here, but suffice it to say there are a few "Aha!" Moments at the last the explain a lot of things. I really enjoyed the book, the only exception being that the narrator, Sybil, only made random appearances to tell her tale such that it wasn't so much a narrator retelling the tale of ancestors history as it was just the telling of the story with only a few paragraphs here and ...more
Marianne
Jul 09, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saw this book on the new book rack at my library, and it piqued my interest. Took me a while to get into it, and at times I thought I would not finish it, but I'm so glad I persevered.
Caputo's descriptions of sailing on the ocean is amazing. Lots of technical sailing jargon that I didn't have a clue what it meant. nevertheless, it is a great story about storms, passions, betrayals and grit and coming to know ones limitations and strengths.
Tara
Aug 31, 2009 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too much sailing jargon for me, but the story was captivating. There are parts that are very exciting compelling the reader to turn pages quickly, but other parts are slow or confusing. The family history is revealed in a very convoluted way, but the story of the actual voyage itself turns out to have some surprising twists.
Geoffrey
fun adventure, but a little stilted - the voices don't seem quite real (perhaps trying too hard to be century-old colloquial), and it's stuffed with sailing terminology - perhaps infatuated with the vocabulary acquired by studying the art of sail...but one of the best descriptions of a hurricane in a sailboat I've ever read...

LH Sardone
Jul 24, 2016 LH Sardone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally engrossing. I couldn't put it down. 4 instead of 5 stars because of the clunky "story within a story" format. It helps to know sailing. Many of those details went over my head but that didn't lesson the power of the storytelling or my enjoyment. I have recommended this book often since reading it.
Lesley
Jan 03, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an amazing education for me.Although I live near a harbour I really didnt know anything about sailing boats.
Yet this novel that takes us back in history with three boys cast out of the family has taught me so much about weather patterns and sailing a ship.
It was compulsive reading and an interesting story created by Philip Caputo.
Maddie Blaney
Mar 30, 2012 Maddie Blaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" The voyage taught the lessons young men learn in battle: that the world is indifferent to our fates; that life is fragile and our grip on it tenuous; that when great crisis comes, though we may face it bravely and act well, we are nevertheless not as brave or as good as we might have hoped"
Pattie
Apr 19, 2012 Pattie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have tried to read this book three or four times, and I literally can't get through the first chapter without wishing for the end of the book. I think that the book sounds interesting, but the writing style is just awful to me. I'll keep trying, I guess... sigh...
Barbara
Feb 10, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Three brothers are sent off on a sea voyage by their stern father in the early days of the 20th century. Marred only by an awkward plot device of a modern day descendent researching this voyage, the story is exciting and quite the page turner with unforgettable characters.
Chrissie
Apr 27, 2011 Chrissie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the beginning of this novel. I wanted more out of the end. It seemed too easy to set the whole book up as a family history with an obscure background explained, ultimately, only by the (very briefly described) lives of the ancestors of the protagonists. (How's that for a sentence?)
Anita
Aug 18, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip Caputo is one of my forever favorite authors, but I only gave this book a 4 because I am not a sailor and I missed a lot of relevant action because I had no clue! However, this is the most exciting book about sailing that I have ever read. Great story from start to finish!
Dec 29, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! Set in 1800's. 3 boys, sons of wealthy family are sent away to sail south for the summer by themselves. (17,16 and 13) Mystery about why they are sent away, adventure on the ocean, coming of age. Great.
Theresa Feeser
May 17, 2014 Theresa Feeser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale took me back to a time and place I have not been. So enjoyed the experience but was very grateful that I was not on that voyage!
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I'm a big Caputo fan, but somehow missed this novel about three brothers whose father banishes them to sea in the summer of 1901. A terrific book that keeps its secrets until the very end.
Chanpheng
Jul 21, 2007 Chanpheng marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found this book at Dasa Bookshop in Bangkok. I'm about halfway through and the book is just starting to get interesting.
sima
Oct 27, 2008 sima rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Compelling & creative plot but I couldn't get through the writing. I ended up skipping to the epilogue for the answer to the mystery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fallen Angel (The Roth Trilogy)
  • L'America
  • The Chosen Child
  • Nightwork
  • The Gates of Ivory
  • The Ruling Caste: Imperial Lives in the Victorian Raj
  • Kissing the Mask: Beauty, Understatement, and Femininity in Japanese Noh Theater
American author and journalist. Author of 16 books, including the upcoming novel SOME RISE BY SIN. Best known for A Rumor of War , a best-selling memoir of his experiences during the Vietnam War (look for the special 40th Anniversary Edition in summer 2017).
More about Philip Caputo...