Start by marking “How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less

How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Good news: You donât have to sacrifice style just to pay your electric bill. Kathryn Finney, a.k.a. the Budget Fashionista, is the expert on all things chic and cheap. Now she opens up her Prada bag of shopping and style tips to make you fashionably frugal, with change to spare. Itâs as easy as 1-2-3!

1. Know your budget: Learn innovative, money-saving ways to increase your
Published May 30th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Budget Fashionista, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Budget Fashionista

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
419th out of 1,092 books — 385 voters

More lists with this book...

Aliya
Dec 24, 2014 Aliya rated it it was amazing
This book was a fun read, although I didn't like the thrift store part where the author suggests buying used clothing (eww!)

However, the most engaging aspect for me was observing human nature and especially female nature. The fact that a book has been published by a publishing house on how not to fall for fashion marketing gimmicks and stay out of debt, shows how strong is the pull of advertising, and the whole marketing trap.

Abundance is not a good thing. When people get infinite food choices a
Kimberly Hirsh
Sep 21, 2009 Kimberly Hirsh rated it it was amazing
How to Be a Budget Fashionista is a guide by Kathryn Finney, founder of thebudgetfashionista.com. The book is divided into three sections, labeled as "Steps."

Step 1: Know Your Budget. In this section, Kathryn provides advice for fashionistas who maybe have been letting their money get away from them. This section is essentially a mini-lesson in personal finance, and could benefit even those who do not want to become fashionistas.

Step 2: Know Your Style. Every fashionista has a distinctive style,
Desiree
Jan 13, 2011 Desiree rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion, craftiness
picked this up at goodwill for $1. i used to run a thrifty shopping blog so i didn't expect to learn anything terribly new, but it was a fairly fun read. a bit outdated already (2006).

i found out that i'm definitely not a fashionista. i mean, i love clothes, don't get me wrong, and i do appreciate the consistent quality in some name brands, like calvin klein, but i really couldn't give a rat's ass if something is prada or homemade if it's cute.

the quiz pegged my style pretty well; a combo of rom
Hannah
Jun 23, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Picked this up after trading in some old books at a used books store for free. (Talk about being thrifty.) I have to say I really enjoyed this book. Some of it I already knew, some stuff I enjoyed learning. I'm not as impressed with her website as I was with the book. Overall I enjoyed it.
Mslady
Apr 06, 2016 Mslady rated it it was amazing
If you are a shopper and you love fashion, this is the book for you. Great tips and just a lot of useful information.
Megan
Apr 04, 2009 Megan rated it did not like it
This girl is WAY out of touch. She flatly claims the average woman spends $300 a month on clothing. Uuhhh.... that is certainly not being a budget fashionista. Spending $450 on a trench coat is NOT something a thrifty person buys, even if the 'regular' price is over $1000.

I read this hoping to find some great ideas on how to bargain shop, but this girl is a sucker for overpriced brand names, and she actively promotes the idea that every woman should spend $200 on a purse.
Eileen
Nov 17, 2008 Eileen rated it really liked it
I didn't give this book 4 stars because it was an eye-opener for me (though it may be for other women who haven't had the vast amount of experience shopping that I have... haha). I gave this book 4 stars because it's extremely organized, personable, and covers all the bases of how to shop on a budget, regardless of your style and needs (professional and day-to-day both). It's a breezy read, and there were a couple things in there that even I didn't know about.
Morgan
Dec 29, 2007 Morgan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: wealthy clothing lovers
I did enjoy this book because it did give some great pointers on where to shop for your style and what to shop for with concerns to one's body type; however, I'm not sure that it was really for those who have a budget. For example (and it has been a while, my dollar amounts could be off) the author made a great purchase when she bought a trench coat, on a whim, for several hundred dollars. Granted, it was fifty percent off, but my budget would never allow this!
Shana
Jun 29, 2008 Shana rated it really liked it
I'm a fashionista. My definition of fashionisgta is not someone who necessarily always dresses well and can afford high end designer clothing....it's someone who appreciates the fine art of dressing one's self in a flattering fashion with bills to spare. Kathryn Finney achieves just that along with some humor and practical tips.
Deborah
Jan 20, 2008 Deborah rated it it was ok
This book would be great for someone who has no experience bargain hunting or doing much online shopping. Since I'm proficient in both these areas, I didn't learn anything new from this text. There were great suggestions about budgeting and finding quality items though, so I would recommend this to others.
Heidie Walker
Jul 08, 2007 Heidie Walker rated it liked it
Finney has some good ideas on where to go and what to look for to get a bargain. Her breakdown of your style persona falls a little short not quite encompassing enough options. This book also gives information on how to take care of items, sizing guides and where to find designer goods for less.
Stephanie
Jul 13, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I was already aware of most of the websites in this book, and frequent some of them, so I didn't learn much in the way of where to shop. However, one chapter, on the home beauty remedies (about what's in your refrigerator) might come to good use.
Ms
Oct 11, 2007 Ms rated it it was amazing
Finney gives the reader some great websites to find great deals. Typically, I'm not into this sort of thing, because these sorts of references become outdated, but the tactics she uses for deal-hunting are not the kind to be outdated.
Bryn
May 13, 2008 Bryn rated it it was ok
Though I am covetous of her deep-discount Burberry trench coat, I gotta say that I didn't really learn a whole lot from this one.

See also: The Ultimate Guide to Being a Pain in the Ass to Retail Workers.
Lynecia
Apr 12, 2007 Lynecia rated it it was ok
I thought it would be better. It basically contains alot of common sense if you are already into fashion...Good info tho, and all in one place.
Ginger
Aug 20, 2012 Ginger rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion
Nice to see one of these books that also talks about the money aspect of fashion. But it's 6 years old and badly dated.
Katie
Apr 01, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for those who like a good bargain. It has everything a budget fashionista would need to know.
Yasjencon
Dec 11, 2007 Yasjencon rated it liked it
it was alright. skimmed in under an hour. nothing that i really didnt know already
Laura Anne
Jul 29, 2007 Laura Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Tons of fun tips... Every girl should give this book a good skim-through at least.
A. Lori Prince
Oct 26, 2007 A. Lori Prince rated it liked it
Interesting tips, but I forgot most of them. My short-term memory is not so hot.
Faye B
Apr 29, 2008 Faye B rated it did not like it
I guess I already knew most of the information.
Noelle McCoy
Feb 16, 2008 Noelle McCoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: budget-living
good tips on finding great deals!
Michelle
Jan 23, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone on a budget and this likes to shop
Recommended to Michelle by: Heather
Jenna and Heather know me too well.
Ronda
Feb 18, 2008 Ronda rated it really liked it
Fun Book :)
Barbara Hewitt
Barbara Hewitt rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Sj
Sj marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Padam
Padam rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Amanda Carron
Amanda Carron marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive