How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less

How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Good news: You don�t have to sacrifice style just to pay your electric bill. Kathryn Finney, a.k.a. the Budget Fashionista, is the expert on all things chic and cheap. Now she opens up her Prada bag of shopping and style tips to make you fashionably frugal, with change to spare. It�s as easy as 1-2-3!

1. Know your budget: Learn innovative, money-saving ways to increase...more
Published May 30th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2006)

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
340th out of 975 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly Hirsh
How to Be a Budget Fashionista is a guide by Kathryn Finney, founder of thebudgetfashionista.com. The book is divided into three sections, labeled as "Steps."

Step 1: Know Your Budget. In this section, Kathryn provides advice for fashionistas who maybe have been letting their money get away from them. This section is essentially a mini-lesson in personal finance, and could benefit even those who do not want to become fashionistas.

Step 2: Know Your Style. Every fashionista has a distinctive style,...more
Desiree
picked this up at goodwill for $1. i used to run a thrifty shopping blog so i didn't expect to learn anything terribly new, but it was a fairly fun read. a bit outdated already (2006).

i found out that i'm definitely not a fashionista. i mean, i love clothes, don't get me wrong, and i do appreciate the consistent quality in some name brands, like calvin klein, but i really couldn't give a rat's ass if something is prada or homemade if it's cute.

the quiz pegged my style pretty well; a combo of rom...more
Hannah
Picked this up after trading in some old books at a used books store for free. (Talk about being thrifty.) I have to say I really enjoyed this book. Some of it I already knew, some stuff I enjoyed learning. I'm not as impressed with her website as I was with the book. Overall I enjoyed it.
Megan
This girl is WAY out of touch. She flatly claims the average woman spends $300 a month on clothing. Uuhhh.... that is certainly not being a budget fashionista. Spending $450 on a trench coat is NOT something a thrifty person buys, even if the 'regular' price is over $1000.

I read this hoping to find some great ideas on how to bargain shop, but this girl is a sucker for overpriced brand names, and she actively promotes the idea that every woman should spend $200 on a purse.
Eileen
I didn't give this book 4 stars because it was an eye-opener for me (though it may be for other women who haven't had the vast amount of experience shopping that I have... haha). I gave this book 4 stars because it's extremely organized, personable, and covers all the bases of how to shop on a budget, regardless of your style and needs (professional and day-to-day both). It's a breezy read, and there were a couple things in there that even I didn't know about.
Morgan
Dec 29, 2007 Morgan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wealthy clothing lovers
I did enjoy this book because it did give some great pointers on where to shop for your style and what to shop for with concerns to one's body type; however, I'm not sure that it was really for those who have a budget. For example (and it has been a while, my dollar amounts could be off) the author made a great purchase when she bought a trench coat, on a whim, for several hundred dollars. Granted, it was fifty percent off, but my budget would never allow this!
Shana
I'm a fashionista. My definition of fashionisgta is not someone who necessarily always dresses well and can afford high end designer clothing....it's someone who appreciates the fine art of dressing one's self in a flattering fashion with bills to spare. Kathryn Finney achieves just that along with some humor and practical tips.
Deborah
This book would be great for someone who has no experience bargain hunting or doing much online shopping. Since I'm proficient in both these areas, I didn't learn anything new from this text. There were great suggestions about budgeting and finding quality items though, so I would recommend this to others.
Heidie Walker
Finney has some good ideas on where to go and what to look for to get a bargain. Her breakdown of your style persona falls a little short not quite encompassing enough options. This book also gives information on how to take care of items, sizing guides and where to find designer goods for less.
Stephanie
I was already aware of most of the websites in this book, and frequent some of them, so I didn't learn much in the way of where to shop. However, one chapter, on the home beauty remedies (about what's in your refrigerator) might come to good use.
Ms
Finney gives the reader some great websites to find great deals. Typically, I'm not into this sort of thing, because these sorts of references become outdated, but the tactics she uses for deal-hunting are not the kind to be outdated.
Bryn
Though I am covetous of her deep-discount Burberry trench coat, I gotta say that I didn't really learn a whole lot from this one.

See also: The Ultimate Guide to Being a Pain in the Ass to Retail Workers.
Lynecia
I thought it would be better. It basically contains alot of common sense if you are already into fashion...Good info tho, and all in one place.
Ginger
Nice to see one of these books that also talks about the money aspect of fashion. But it's 6 years old and badly dated.
Katie
This book is perfect for those who like a good bargain. It has everything a budget fashionista would need to know.
Yasjencon
it was alright. skimmed in under an hour. nothing that i really didnt know already
Laura Anne
Tons of fun tips... Every girl should give this book a good skim-through at least.
A. Lori Prince
Interesting tips, but I forgot most of them. My short-term memory is not so hot.
Faye B
I guess I already knew most of the information.
Noelle McCoy
good tips on finding great deals!
Michelle
Jan 23, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone on a budget and this likes to shop
Recommended to Michelle by: Heather
Jenna and Heather know me too well.
Ronda
Fun Book :)
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jul 02, 2014
How to Be a Budget Fashionista How to Be a Budget Fashionista How to Be a Budget Fashionista Little Louie How to Be a Budget Fashionista How to Be a Budget Fashionista