Start by marking “The Sonnets and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Sonnets and Other Poems

The Sonnets and Other Poems

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  5,675 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Shakespeare became famous as a dazzling poet before most people even knew that he wrote plays. His sonnets are the English language’s most extraordinary anatomy of love in all its dimensions–desire and despair, longing and loss, adoration and disgust. To read them is to confront morality and eternity in the same breath. Produced under the editorial supervision of Jonathan ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Modern Library (first published 1609)

To ask other readers questions about The Sonnets and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sonnets and Other Poems

Ahmad Sharabiani
Love Poems and Sonnets, William Shakespeare
Maricarmen Estrada M
Jul 27, 2015 Maricarmen Estrada M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I truly enjoyed reading these remarkable sonnets. It was a difficult read because I'm not used to read poetry. And also the old language was at times difficult to understand. I have to say that I learned new vocabulary, which I do love, even though sometimes it slowed me down or made me read a verse more than twice.
I took my time to read these sonnets in the past few months. They were like a special treat you give yourself after a delicious meal, a truffle, or a Belgian chocolate.
The mastery of
GoldGato
It would be rather silly of me to review these Shakespearean poems. The language is magnificent, and I don't really get involved in the 'shadiness' of the Fair Youth. It's enough that I've had the joy of reading these eloquent demonstrations of love and yearning, one of those a-ha confirmations of life's beauty.

This specific volume is an oldie, being printed in 1901. I have almost killed it, resulting in bookcover surgery. The publishers included a lovely little glossary plus a preface to each w
Bettie☯
Rosa
Jan 06, 2012 Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare
I drifted through several lovely summer mornings lazing with this book in a suburban wilderness (local park). Paired with the inevitably blooming atmosphere, the poems and sonnets just seem so much more impressive in hindsight. I can look back on those moments reading this anthology and feel a pleasant postcoitalesque literary glow. Every page of this book is covered with notes, and several poems and sonnets are even highlighted. I don't think I've ever appreciated poetry this much, and I doubt ...more
Robert Palmer
As with most Americans, I was first introduced to Shakespeare while in high school, where I read several of his plays and a few of his sonnets. Then, in college, I became very interested in his poetry, and so I read all of his sonnets and love poems. Reading his sonnets inspired me to write poetry, and over my college career, I wrote 20 sonnets to my girlfriend. I mention this not because I believe that the sonnets I wrote are comparable, but only to demonstrate that Shakespeare's sonnets so mov ...more
Angela Randall
The complete works of Shakespeare (including all the plays, sonnets and poems) are available free to read/download/print here:
Chad Newton
Feb 21, 2015 Chad Newton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I bought a copy of this work from Waldenbooks and Borders in 2007 before the company closed. Shakespeare delivers some sweet, sensual lyrics in his prose that illuminate some of his key devices of literature.
Simon
Dec 09, 2011 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like the plays, I understand them. I just couldn't do this. I'm not a poet and I have not the talent in the field of old English either. I shant be bothered by such ridiculous devianceies.

I'll stick to your stories Will.
Eric Phetteplace
Potent homoeroticism and a few good ending couplets salvage this otherwise mediocre work of stale verse.
Jeana
Feb 22, 2009 Jeana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading these sonnets--I definitely enjoyed some of them more than others.
Misha Kaura
Mar 05, 2017 Misha Kaura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These sonnets are stunningly and breathtakingly beautiful. They remind me of how I feel about crème brûlée and ice cream <3333333
Cate
Reading Shakespeare in school is a little bit like being told to eat your greens at the dinner table; they are supposed to be good for you, but as soon as we hit adulthood we chose to give them up. Shakespeare has never felt this way to me, but I did realize recently that my knowledge of his writing was rather one dimensional, being limited to his plays. I picked up this little book, only 206 pages, decided I would expand my mind, and read the dreaded love poems and sonnets. I was very pleasantl ...more
Andrew Wright
Mar 29, 2013 Andrew Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
When people are sufficiently stupid and/or uninformed, or when they're swept passionately along on the tide of anti-white, anti-male, anti-hetero, anti-euro sentiment that's become so chic in academia, they like to say "Well clearly Shakespeare was noble/gay/bi/a woman." Afterwards they typically trundle out the specious evidence that the majority of the sonnets were all written, quite clearly, to a man. Apparently they didn't see fit to read the entirety of the sonnets, or even perhaps any of t ...more
جاسم كلمد
Jul 24, 2016 جاسم كلمد rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, classics, 2016
هذه الترجمة هي أفضل ترجمة لسونيتات شكسبير، هذا لمن يدفعه الفضول لقراءتها، أو البحث عن نسخة معربة جيدة
وقد يتساءل البعض لماذا هذه النسخ تتجاوز الـ 500 صفحة،، رغم أن عدد السونيتات/ الغنائيات 154
السبب في ذلك، أن المترجم جزاه الله ألف خير، أعدّ شروحات لكل قصيدة، هذه الشروحات تساعد جدًا في فهم طبيعة أشعار شكسبير
فهذه الأشعار التي تنتمي للعصر الإليزابيثي، يجد الإنكليز أنفسهم صعوبة بقراءتها في لغتهم الأم، فما بالك بمن يقرأها بلغة وسيطة
بالنسبة لي شخصيًا، لا أجدني أميل كثيرًا إلى أشعار تلك الحقبة، ولا أست
Jessica
May 21, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the sonnets was an entirely different experience than I had anticipated. I often had to re-read a poem three or four times before the meaning finally revealed itself. That wasn't the unexpected part, however. I was surprised by the similarity of the sonnets. For example, at least ten of the first sonnets deal solely with trying to convince a beautiful young man that he should have children in order to ensure that his beauty never dies. Sometimes, it was like, "Okay, Will, I GET IT, the g ...more
Molly
Sep 05, 2008 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a very definite reason that some of Shakespeare's sonnets are recognizable by the completion of the first line, whereas with others, you could hear the whole thing and not have any idea who wrote it (or what it was about). Some of the sonnets are very nice, but on the whole, I didn't care for them very much. The epic poems where more interesting to me (The Rape of Lucrece and Venus and Adonis).
Josh
Jan 04, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how anybody can give these anything lower than 5 stars; the writing is beautiful, yet concise and to the point with a sonnet per page - as the book contains all of his sonnets it's possible to trace Shakespeare's development as a writer and lover himself. The sonnets themselves are so iconic and the imagery so vivid that they are well worth the read!
Koolmom84
Jul 05, 2009 Koolmom84 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who likes to go back in time (and think about just having time to read) will enjoy this book even if the poems are not easily understood. I like to spend my time trying to figure out their meaning.
Cingashe Nogaya
Oh wow - someone just got me to remember all of this - i left it behind in HS, but his reciting of sonnet 29 - got me diving back into Shakespeare. I can relate to some of his work, eternal romantic ? ahhhhh.
Robert
Oct 25, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd skimmed over the sonnets before without much interest, but the latest Folger edition places this in context of Shakespeare's life, establishes the consistency of the collection as a whole and makes them far more readable than I had thought.
Ali
Dec 04, 2016 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"İç çekişlerim uçup gitti, gözyaşlarım eridi,
Gözlerim yangına döndü, kalbim ağır kurşun sanki.
Kurşun gibi ağır kalbim eriyor göz yangınımda,
Sıcak arzumdan damlayarak son bulacak canım da."
Tori
Apr 23, 2008 Tori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rather die than read poetry, which I already knew. This just reinforced it even further. Another forced read because I was tutoring a high school senior in English. And reading love poems and sonnets with an emo kid is even worse than reading them on your own.
Angie
Nov 09, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these poems and I would pick them to take if I had to go to a desert island - along with the plays. They are, of course, meaningful, beautifully written, ironic and profound in many ways and make me think of things and people I love when I read them.
Laura Collins
I read the Introduction, Venus and Adonis and the Sonnets from this collection for my university course and overall really enjoyed them!
I read the sonnets in a day and I'm really looking forward to analysing them further my first university essay! :)
Elise
Jan 24, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom has a masters in English, and teaches high school AP English. I would be disowned if i did not read William Shakespeare! These are classics!
Hilary
Jan 27, 2008 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Shakespeare's sonnets are some of the most complex poetry I've ever read. I could read a few of the same sonnets forever, and not get the whole picture. Without a doubt, however, my favorite is like Marianne Dashwood's, 116, "Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments…"
Swathi
I can't believe everyone doesn't read these poem.
Shery Nasef
Feb 24, 2014 Shery Nasef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonnet 35. My all time favourite.
Alexandra
  • Helen in Egypt
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Complete Poems of Dorothy Parker
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.” 82 likes
“So are you to my thoughts as food to life, or as sweet seasoned showers are to the ground.” 15 likes