Start by marking “Flecks of Gold” as Want to Read:
Flecks of Gold

Flecks of Gold

Mary Margaret is not the type of girl to fall in love—especially after seeing what a string of bad relationships has done to her mother. That's why it's so weird when Mary finds herself strangely attracted to Kelson, a guy at her new school. It's almost . . . unnatural. What she doesn't know is that she's been put under a spell. And when Kelson kidnaps Mary's mother and ta ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about Flecks of Gold, please sign up.

Rebecca In the book Mary is an average girl who takes care of her scatterbrained artist mother. When her mother is threatened by a recent boyfriend they move.…moreIn the book Mary is an average girl who takes care of her scatterbrained artist mother. When her mother is threatened by a recent boyfriend they move. After that her mother is kidnapped by a strange guy in a flash of light. Mary tries to pursue, but finds herself in another world with magic that she also seems to have. She gains friends who seek to help her find her mother whilst dealing with magicians, ruffians, courtiers, and a new culture. She not only learns more about the surrounding world, but also about herself.(less)

Jess
Aug 03, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
This book was pretty great. I didn't have high expectations so I was very happily surprised at how much I liked it. Sure, it was in need of another go around with an editor (at least the copy I have...)but those parts were easy to overlook because the story was incredibly engaging.

I loved the characters, the plot, the magic, and how clean it was (no swear words or sexuality whatsoever).

I won this book from Goodread (from free!) and have to say it is my favorite first-reads book so far. It'll b
Chelsea
Mar 01, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was ok
I liked this book, but that's all. It was enough of an interesting story that I stayed up until almost 3am to finish this, but while I enjoyed much about this story, I found myself not completely sucked in to the reality that this book was trying to create. I found a lot of it to be unbelievable--specifically a lot of what Mary does and says throughout the first 3rd of the book. I kept telling myself, "It's a book for young adults, maybe you are just too old to appreciate it" and I kept reading. ...more
Molly's  Blog
1.5 stars. At the beginning of the story, I was relieved that the main character, Mary, was not cookie-cutter perfect. I liked that she said dumb things and made dumb mistakes.

However, Mary became infuriating to me. Her sarcasm was so thick to the point of rudeness, she lacked any and all communication skills, she whined constantly, and she never ceased to do dumb things. Furthermore, I can't stand heroines who have the attitude of "I don't need any help, I can handle it myself" (so many conf
Jacqui
Aug 27, 2012 Jacqui rated it really liked it
I picked up this book mostly because it was written by an old friend from high school, and I was happy for her to have published a novel, and curious what it contained. It's a fantasy novel and I would classify it as clean teen lit. I liked how magic works in her world, with magic being formed out of patterns of light that are innate in all things and magicians learn through careful study how to tweak these patterns to create their desired effects. Mary, our heroine, is a nice, seemingly normal ...more
Connie
Jul 21, 2010 Connie rated it it was amazing
It was really fun going into another world with Mary. I loved the brain lacing / altering reality idea. I have thought about that a lot since reading the book. It would be awesome if such a thing could be learned. I enjoyed the adventures she had with Breeohan. He was such a nice guy, so sweet. I was as intrigued as Mary was in her desire to find out about her genealogy - the link to this other world. The writing was good. I kind of wished the story wouldn't have ended. There weren't any scenes ...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
After a boy named Kelson kidnpas Mary's mom, Mary attempts to follow after and is transported into a magical world vastly different from anything she's ever known.

Surrounded by plots to sieze the throne and attempts on her life, Mary must defy her better judgements and trust Breeohan and the Kingto find her mother.

But as the truth leaks out, Mary may be in greater danger than she realizes.

Alicia Buck's idea of everything having a pattern that can be manipulated through magic was an intriguing i
Andy
Mar 08, 2011 Andy rated it liked it
I hated the writting style of this book. It was poorly written, needed to be redone, or more thought through. But the idea was amazing. The story line was the only thing that kept me going, once i could get passed the writting. Once the story line had me I was a goner, had to stay up till 1:30 in the morining to finish it. Then ending had me sitting on the edge of my chair, and when it ended it left me wanting more. I just wish that it had been written better.
Alyssa
Jun 05, 2010 Alyssa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! The story line was intriguing and hard to predict. I LOVE the concept of the magic of the lacings of the "flecks of Gold". It is very creative, and it made total sense at the same time. The character development and resolution was satisfying. It is open-ended for a possible sequel. And, of course, I always love a good romance. :) Well done, Alicia!
Victoria
Aug 05, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing
I really loved every minute of this book! I have read a lot and no book lately I have read I could 100% recommend for various reasons, but this one I can and will!

Unique and intriguing story line, loved the characters and imagination, she could make a sequel and I really truly hope she does! :)

Thanks Alicia, keep them coming!
Brenda
Aug 03, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it
Super darling fantasy/adventure/romance. Exciting characters in a new and fabulous world. I loved all of the relationships throughout and thought the colored flecks were fascinating. Cute romance and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel!
Teri Jackson
Jun 03, 2010 Teri Jackson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic
wow i just got sucked in to this book and i loved mary she was my favorite character out of the whole book.
Tom Ricks
Jun 15, 2010 Tom Ricks rated it it was amazing
I loved Flecks of Gold! The plot was original and reading it was as vivid as if I were watching a movie. I am ready for the sequel!
Shara
May 04, 2010 Shara rated it it was amazing
This book was so great! The plot is unpredictable, the character were interesting. I loved it! Well written. I recommend it to young adult readers and adults alike.
Lauren
Nov 14, 2016 Lauren rated it did not like it
I liked some of her ideas but this book was sooo boring.
Abbie
Oct 26, 2010 Abbie rated it really liked it

I would give a 3.5-4.0 Stars. Overall I liked the story line. It has everything I like in a book, adventure, girl meets boy, secrets and the twist---magic. I loved Mary's strong, sarcastic, but loving character. I did feel the plot was easy to figure out, it didn't really keep me guessing once you connected the first couple dilemma’s Mary was in and the rest where easy to figure out. There were several typo's & repeat sentences in the book, which bothered me for whatever reason. At times I
Ryanne
Sep 23, 2016 Ryanne rated it it was amazing
A really good book that should have a second.
Annie ~ From Top to Bottom Reviews
Oct 11, 2010 Annie ~ From Top to Bottom Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Miri
Jan 21, 2012 Miri rated it really liked it
Mary hat kein leichtes Leben, sie ist eine Außenseiterin und ihre Mutter hüpft von einem Bett ins nächste. Bis Mary plötzlich selbst einem Jungen verfällt, doch etwas ist komisch. Und ehe sie sich versieht, hat Kelson ihre Mutter entführt und ohne lange nachzudenken, folgt sie ihm. Mithilfe von Magie in die ferne Welt Iberloah. Auf ihrem Weg zum König, von dem sie sich Hilfe erhofft, trifft sie Breeohan und seinen Freund Rafan, die anbieten, sie zu begleiten. Auf ihrem langen Weg lehrt Breeohan ...more
Kate
Nov 06, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans who like magic and different worlds
Shelves: 100-books-2011
This book was quite a surprise.
At the beginning, I just thought: O no, please not another bad Urban Fantasy book, but as soon as Mary tried the lacing after Kelson and found herself in the middle of nowhere, it got quite interesting.
Okay, some parts of the story were quite foreseeable, but at other parts it surprised me.

!!!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!!! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!
The ending was a bit disappointing for me. I mean,half of the book, Mary expresses her discomfort with the new w
Andressa
Jun 19, 2014 Andressa rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
To get away from her mom's most recent bad boyfriend, Mary Margaret and her mom move to Arizona. Within only a few days though, Mary is confronted with a strange boy who actually has come from another world to take her away. When Mary refuses to go, he instead takes her mother and disappears. Mary uses her recently discovered magic abilities to follow into an entirely different world. Here she must confront the challenge of a new culture while trying to fit in and find her mom. But she never dre ...more
Amberle
Jun 20, 2010 Amberle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fairie
This book was refreshingly new. It reminded me of Robin Mckinley's The Blue Sword but was different enough and unique enough not to feel like I was rereading the same story. More like a cousin story. Buck's main character is very genuine feeling and realistically exasperating.

The last chapter had some fairly blatant editing mistakes that, had they been present throughout the whole book would have been frustrating but since they were all concentrated at the end I was able to look past it.

Overall
Joy Spraycar
Jun 05, 2011 Joy Spraycar rated it liked it
Although this book started out a bit slow and followed at a languishing pace, I still enjoyed it. I normally don't finish one if it doesn't grab me right away, but I sat next to Alicia at a book signing and wanted to give her a review. It's about a girl who lives in this world, but when her mother is kidnapped, she follows by using some magic she witnessed. Sad thing is she gets it wrong.

She meets someone in the new world who gives her direction and shows her a bit about the magic that she has
Jen
Won this through goodreads giveaway :)

Number one, the cover is beautiful.

Number two, with school starting, I think I picked a bad time to try and get into this book. Mostly, I found myself confused by Mary and Kelson's actions and everything else that was going on. I got to page 50, tried to step away for a few days, and never picked it back up. To be fair to the author, who was generous enough to sign and send the book to me, I'm not going to post a star rating. I plan to pick this back up agai
Lucy
Jan 31, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jan 19, 2011 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable read! From beginning to end I was interested in the story. It has all the elements of a great story- fantasy, action, magic, great characters and romance. I really enjoyed the magical element of being able to “see” the strands that make up everything, like a DNA, and being able to mentally tweak them to make them become something else. I love the book cover too, it is so pretty. This is a young adult book but one I feel comfortable letting my 13 year old read. (No swearing, YIP ...more
Sammy Nicholas
Aug 31, 2010 Sammy Nicholas rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing! It had me on my toes the entire time! The beginning was pretty slow but once she got to Iberloah it really sped up. I was guessing this and that the entire book, especially when she first met the king! This story had a very interesting twist with the whole other world and it was a nice change from other fantasy books I have read. I really started to feel for the characters and fall in love with them. This book was very long and I was glad because I could never ...more
Sandra Pulliam
Jun 10, 2010 Sandra Pulliam rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was different, which is something I needed after reading much of the same book after book. The main characters were strong and well written. The plot was fun and new and the ending wrapped everything up nicely. The only thing I did not like was the magic! I could not understand what so ever the "strings" and "lacing". It was just too far out there. All in all I would recommend this to all who love a fun page turner.
Amy
Mar 12, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
I didn't have very high expectations for this book and I ended up loving it! The story was packed full of adventure and kept me engaged through the whole book. The twist on magic in this book is so different from other fantasies I've read, which was refreshing. I also love the merging of the old and new worlds. Best of all, this book was totally clean with no foul language or sex. I would definitely recommend this book to young adult romantic fantasy readers.
Jesika Harmon
Feb 05, 2011 Jesika Harmon rated it it was amazing
Ok, so my neighbor's daughter just published this book so I really only started reading it so I could tell her, "Hey I read your book, nice job..." But I actually LOVED it! It is kind of fantasy mixed with a little sci-fi, which I don't typically like, but this book was really creative! I couldn't put it down! It is a quick read, it is entertaining, and keeps you wanting to see what will happen next! I highly recommend it!
Celeste
Mar 08, 2012 Celeste rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book reminds me of The Queen's Thief for some reason, probably the setting. I liked the idea behind the book, and I read it in a couple of days because I was intrigued, but the writing style was not great because the transitions were forced and choppy. The parts that were suppose to be twists were very predictable, but sometimes I like being right. I would recommend this book to any young adult girl because it was clean writing-no language or sexual content.
  • The Mark
  • Queen in Exile
  • The Peasant Queen
  • Sorceress
  • Over the Moon
  • Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales
  • The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Daykeeper's Grimoire (Prophecy of Days, #1)
  • The Princess's Dragon
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Book of Revenge (Knight Angels, #2)
  • Luck of the Draw
  • The Buccaneer's Apprentice (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #2)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth, #1)
  • Aurelie: A Faerie Tale
  • The Wolf Within
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah on a cold November day and have hated the cold ever since. Luckily, I live in St. George now with my husband, Jason, and my three children, Connor, Riley and Elizabeth. I wanted to be a writer ever since fourth grade. At that time, I felt sure my stories were creative masterpieces. When I was older, I reread my flashes of brilliance only to realize that they were ...more
More about Alicia Buck...

“I was wallowing in a small, but beautifully decorated pity party, complete with imaginary streamers....” 6 likes