Start by marking “Catholic Prayer Bible-NRSV-Lectio Divina” as Want to Read:
Catholic Prayer Bible-NRSV-Lectio Divina

Catholic Prayer Bible-NRSV-Lectio Divina

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  18 reviews
An ideal Bible for anyone who desires to reflect on the individual stories and chapters of just one, or even all, of the biblical books, while being led to prayer though meditation on that biblical passage.
Hardcover, 1948 pages
Published July 30th 2010 by Paulist Press (first published December 31st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Catholic Prayer Bible-NRSV-Lectio Divina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catholic Prayer Bible-NRSV-Lectio Divina

E
A Pew Forum survey conducted in 2010 found American Atheists to answer more questions about religion accurately than any other denominational group polled. The survey results insinuate nothing except that, contrary to what proselytizing Christians seem to think, Atheists do not need to hear more about religion, ESPECIALLY if you want to convert them. After receding for many years from the misogyny, homophobia, classism, jingoism and racism of the Christian Right, this book was the final nail in ...more
Ken
I mean it's the bible. Sooo not giving it a bad review.
Benjamin Vineyard
Initial question:
Will the notes and guided prayer in this book help me pause and dwell with the Lord through the text? Through my day?

---

Answer: a resounding Yes.

The NRSV Daily Bible is a read-the-Bible-in-a-year devotional Bible that helps the reader pause and dwell on what they've just read - which helps bridge the gap between reading out of a sense of devotion and reading to engage the life of prayer. The goal of the Bible is to train the reader in the wonderful, simple practice of lectio d
K.MOHAN  RAO
Aug 21, 2007 K.MOHAN RAO rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
... It gives new life to a human being and teaches why i am in this world. And if so, what is the cause.
HOLY BIBLE gives every solution for any puzzles in life.
Gives numerous solutions in what manner should i behave in this world ,whether i am alone or not it doesn't matter ,
And opposes the formality of short span of life.

And tells , everything demolishes even the world before JOY, TRUTH AND LOVE which comes by HOPE.

Bcz, human is superior of any other species thats why it matters a lot what w
Daniel Wright
I don't review the Bible: the Bible reviews me.

On the other hand, I may review a particular edition of it. I mainly picked up this one because I was looking for an edition of the apocrypha and this was the one I found, and in any case I was interested in trying the NRSV, as it was recommended by my church and my university's theology department.

The typography of the edition that I have is certainly the most aesthetically pleasing of any Bible I have - I do wish more publishers would pay attentio
HarperOne (an imprint of HarperCollins)
For the first time ever, the beloved NRSV Bible text is divided into 365 readings with prayers and meditations for each day of the year. Readings are not dated like in other one-year Bibles, nor have they been rearranged to fit a particular reading plan, so not only can this daily reading Bible be started at any time of year, but it will help readers follow the biblical narrative in order as they read the Scripture from start to finish. Each reading in The Daily Contemplative Bible only takes 10 ...more
James
Reading the Bible with the Apocrypha is an incredible experience after having read the abridged, shortened, condensed versions (66 books). Coming from the understanding that both the eastern and western churches have considered the Apocrypha canonical from the commissioning of the Church, and finding that it was removed only by the Protestant church in the early 19th century, I am moved to read it as if it was the very Word of God.

These views concerning the Apocrypha have left me feeling robbed
Gloria
I have nowhere near completed reading this Bible, but I do want to recommend the format. The bulk of it is a standard Bible, but what makes this special is the insertion on each page of the lectio divina method of understanding and personalizing the passages. Lectio Divina has four steps: read, reflect, prayer, and contemplate action. This is an intentionally slow way to read scripture. In this book, the lectio divina is included as an inset with prompts for each of the four steps.
Tracy
This edition is from 1989 that I had for a class. It is (at the time of writing) the most true to the actual Hebrew and Greek texts. It gets repetitive in places, but it is very good. There are some interesting takes by people about what is in the Bible, but it is more interesting to see what is actually in there. I am still in the Old Testament (1 Samuel). It will take me awhile to finish it.
Jack
when i do pick up the scriptures, I prefer the NRSV, widely recognized as the most accurate translation of the original Greek/Hebrew texts than other translastions. The NIV is probably a good second, but has been 'modernized' to the point that one is unsure what is translation verses interpetation. This paricular version of the book is easy to carry in a backpack or take wherevver you go.
Atchisson
I read this last year front to back beginning of January 1 and ending on New Year's Eve just an hour or so before Midnight. It was a great gift from some folks many years ago. This year, I am reading the Bible (a different version) chronologically. This version was very readable, but my current version contains a greta deal of background and apologetic information.
Ellen
My personal goal in 2010 was to read the Bible cover-to-cover. Some chapters were intriguing, others I toiled to get through. With the accompaniment of Slate.com's Blogging the Bible series, it was a read that I'm glad I finished. If only to have a better foundation for Judaism and Christianity.
Jason Vanzin
This version was great for me as it had very good commentary on different parts of the New Testament including parts of which I was struggling. After years and years of saying I want to read the bible, I was finally able to do it with this version. Next stop is the Old Testament from the same series.
Thomas Blake
Read the Maccabees and find out the context of why Jesus and his disciples observed Hannakuh as seen in John 10.
Lillia
Sorry, but there's no way I'm giving the Bible a bad review. Read it and be saved!
Joe Dantona
I'll update this review at some point, but so far I am loving the NRSV.
Joel
Best book you'll read. It will change your life!
Gelynn
I think I have read it 3 times now!
Reid
Reid marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Ted Cook
Ted Cook is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Carrie
Carrie is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Sara Caugh
Sara Caugh marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Alexandra Pavlidis
Alexandra Pavlidis marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage
  • Saint Paul
  • The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language--Numbered Edition
  • New Revised Standard Version New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (Hardcover with Dust Jacket)
  • The Lord
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Belief: Readings on the Reason for Faith
  • Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Christianity's Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution: A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-First
  • Asimov's Guide to the Bible: The New Testament
  • The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus
  • If the Church Were Christian
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • The Journal of George Fox
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Quran