Start by marking “Katy Carter Wants a Hero” as Want to Read:
Katy Carter Wants a Hero

Katy Carter Wants a Hero

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A fun, feel-good, modern rom-com about Katy Carter—a sucker for romance

Katy Carter knows she's no domestic goddess—she's scatterbrained, needs a fire extinguisher at the ready when she's cooking, and falls off the diet wagon on a daily basis. But that doesn't stop her fantasizing about a hero to call her own. And Katy thinks she's found him in fiancéJames, a charming, high
Published July 9th 2010 by Orion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Katy Carter Wants a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katy Carter Wants a Hero

Leah
Katy Carter is a secondary school teacher who dreams of being a bestselling author and secretly scribbles down her novel (a historic blockbuster) whilst in school meetings. Katy is also a huge fan of grabbing herself her own romantic hero and thinks she’s found him in James, her fiance. However when a dinner party for James’s work colleagues goes disastrously wrong – with help from a lobster named Pinchy, a red-setter named Sasha and a cactus – Katy finds herself unceremoniously dumped by James. ...more
Loralee
It was cute. However, and I hate to seem bit-picky but this must be said, it was just a shade too long. Do not get me wrong, it was funny, deliriously so in fact, and anyone who reads my reviews knows how smitten I am with these kinds of British rom-coms. I love the slang: "cocked up" or "sod off" or "flip the v". But this was like too much of a good thing. It was so overwhelming with plot points: bad fiancé, male BFF, gay bestie, female bestie with marital probs, dating a celeb, being blackmail ...more
Nicole
Rating: .5/5 stars

Did not finish reading; read 101/408

Okay, here's the deal. I try not to judge a book by its cover, and if I did with this one, I never would have picked it up. It's pure hot pink with a childish feeling, a pair of sneakers, a wine glass, and a lobster on the cover.

When it comes to books, I give it about 100 pages before I decide if I'm staying along for the ride or getting off at the next stop.

Needless to say, I have gotten off this bus and do not see myself taking this route a
Desa
I absolutely loved it! At first there were times I just wanted to smack Katy in the head, but throughout the book she goes through a lot of things and she really grows up, and she's so likeable and funny that it's impossible not to adore her.

Furthermore the book is really funny, cute and has a handful of amazing characters, not just Katy. And I loved all the books/tv/movies references. It's been such a marvellous reading for Christmas ;D

If you like chick lit you can't miss Katy Carter
Aishwarya

This book has been stretched to unbelievable limits by Katy's onset of deafness when she's near Ollie and he looks serious, almost-wilful misunderstandings and some serious coincidences. Katy attempts to be her own person and be independent of whatever guy she's with then but that...does not really materialize. I love Ollie but she's still a pushover. (view spoiler)
Nancy Baack
I'm a sucker for British Chic Lit. Can't help it. No its not rocket science...but it was fun. :-)
Leticia
Some laugh out loud (ok, more like chuckle or giggle, but you catch my drift) passages make out for the repetition of others. And the line "the only gay in the village?", in an allusion to Little Britain, would mke me feel like a sister in arms anyway. The author did make a clear effort of varying patterns and adding some new elements to the old chick lit, but we allknow what we are looking for when we are choosing such titles, don't we? So there it is. Ollie is adorable, and it was a nice coupl ...more
Fluffychick
Katy is a disillusioned English teacher, who writes her historical bonkbuster during staff meetings. Katy thinks she's found her perfect man in James, and due to this she blithely ignores the evil jibes of his mother and his demands that she becomes the perfect hostess to support his efforts to get a promotion. A disastrous dinner party including her best friend Ollie, his red setter, a cactus and a lobster called "Pinchy" leads to James deciding that Katy is not suitable wife material even if h ...more
Shaz Goodwin
I really enjoyed reading this chic lit about Katy’s journey to find her very own hero. It’s one to read while laying on the beach – pure escapism! I read it during the last week of term and it kept my spirits up enough to tackle the countdown of each day.

This isn’t your run-of-the-mill chic lit though. We already know she finally falls into the arms of her hero but I can guarantee you haven’t read similar plotlines in quite this way. The style of writing that gets you to the end will certainly m
Bookcrazy
Katy Carter, die Protagonistin des Buches, ist verlobt mit dem Investmentbanker James. Sie unterrichtet an einer Schule und während den Lehrerkonferenzen langweiligt sie sich schon mal, sodass sie in ihre Liebesromanfantasiewelt abdriftet. So kann es auch mal passieren, dass sie ihre Fantasien in ein Schülerheft kritzelt. Die große Hochzeit mit James rückt immer näher und die Ereignisse überschlagen sich schließlich bei einer Dinnerparty für James Arbeit für die Katy kochen soll...

Mir hat das Bu
Sandhya
Katy Carter is no domestic goddess — she's scatterbrained, needs a fire extinguisher at the ready when she's cooking, and falls off the diet wagon on a daily basis but as like everyone, she fantasizes of a romantic hero of her own. Katy has a job as a English teacher but she is interested in writing historical romance novels than teaching or staff meetings. So, this is Katy Carter and didn't you like her characterization just by reading her introduction! I absolutely enjoyed her. The book by Ms. ...more
Vanessa
I wouldn't say I actually read the book more like skimmed through most of it and read some. The story line was good but I just found the main character kinda annoying, which is odd since I'm one of those romance readers with their head in the clouds also. I loved Ollie, Franky, Mad and Jewels. And I wanted a more satisfying (ok, sinister) ending for James. I can't say I was totally engrossed in the book but it had it's moments.
Christine Alibutud
This book was kind of a push and pull for me. Some parts were a little too draggy, and I didn't really feel the drama. I did enjoy some parts, but then, it was just "meh". I guess I'd rate this book 2.5-3 stars.
description
Angela
A fun story that had me laughing most of the time due to some ridiculous circumstances but the scenarios I could totally imagine happening in a kind of Stephanie Plum kind of way. In particular loved the scenes with Pinchy the lobster in it, was glad the useless guy got rejected by the main character, and that a long time friend became the romantic interest even though it took 237ish pages for the main character to realize she had liked him all along. A light hearted story that was worth reading ...more
Abigail Porter
Agi
Mar 05, 2011 Agi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Wow. Funny. Although a little too "edgy" for me, like the author didn't know what to do with some situations, some people... Very funny language, but some of the funniest phrases were repeated too often, and I have met them in the "The Hen Night Prophecies" as well. I know they are really, really funny but I guess one should not use them too often? I hated James and his mother from the spot, and sometimes was angry with Katy's naivety, really, a girl should not let anybody to treat herself like ...more
Ruby Smothers
I absolutely adored this book, I was constantly giggling to myself (and at time out loud). This was the book to get me out of my book funk. :-)
Keri
I laughed all the way through this one. It will be on my re-read list for sure!
Damelapin
I was a bit disappointed by this book.

I had troubles liking the main character - she really was annoying at the begining: moaning about her weight while stuffing her face with biscuits, etc... And it was pushed too far sometimes: who would rescue a lobster and hide it in the bath?

Then we know for many chapters that she's in love with Ollie, but she doesn't know it - come on, are you stupid? Just like in movies, I wanted to shout at her "open your eyes for god's sake"!

So the word is: disappointed
easy breezy story that despite it's eye rolling predictability something kept me reading and I found that having such a predictable book in my hands was just what I needed.
kind of like when someone says let's grab a coffee and you already had like 4 cups, you know you're not craving it but it tastes pretty good going down.
Ilana Fox
Really enjoyed this - the pace was a little too fast / little too slow in some places, but the characters were mostly well-rounded, and the dialogue super-snappy. If you get a chance to pick this book up, do - it's lots of fun and will make you want to move to Cornwall (if only to have a pet lobster).
chippyvale
It's a pretty decent chick lit book; the character I like the most is Pinchy though (haha) & I was sorry to see that Katy released him back into the sea at Cornwall.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to more novels by Saberton. They make a delightful companion by the beach!
Caitlin
This book is one of the better ones in the chick-lit genre. Katy Carter isn't obsessed with shopping, and brand names don't take the place of a plot. The characters are likable; the romance was cute. It had touching and funny moments. Altogether, quite fun.
Heidi
This book was better than I expected. I like the heroine's turn around mid novel, and the quirky characters. Solid Chick lit book with little snippets of romance as well as some funny scenes :)
Strong recommendation for fans of Jane Green and Emily Griffin
Chanpreet
I think I read somewhere that Ruth Saberton is writing a sequel to this book. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is true and that it comes out soon! I just loved this book! It was funny and oh so entertaining! More please! :)
Assia
THIS BOOK WAS LITERALLY EVERYWHERE.
At first it was v. Marian Keyes (seems light but one you get into it, it's everything but *cough*lucysullivanisgettingmarried*cough*) but that thought was gone as soon as it appeared.
Tock
Was a cute book. The plot twist kept me reading because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next, and sometimes it wasn't what I expected. And although romance and chick lit, it wasn't too sappy for me.
Kathleen Crowell
I was expecting more fun--a little disappointed. There were too many chick lit devices strewn throughout this book--felt a lot like Bridget Jones Diary.
Donna Edwards
I loved this book

Very Simple to read and funny

Cant wait to read more from Ruth Saberton!!!!
Beth Browne
I loved this book, found it laugh-out-loud funny with an enticing plot. A very fun light read.
  • Getting Away with It
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • RSVP
  • I Love The 80s
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Baby Be Mine (Johnny Be Good, #2)
  • Moonshine
  • The Beach Cafe
  • One Thing Led To Another
Ruth Saberton always knew she wanted to be a writer. From an early age she was busy filling note books with stories and rather than hero worshipping Wham and Duran Duran (which ages her!) Ruth's heroes were Jilly Cooper and Jackie Collins. Several attempts at bodice rippers later, Ruth turned her attention to romance and now focuses on writing romantic comedies. Her debut novel, 'Katy Carter Wants ...more
More about Ruth Saberton...
Ellie Andrews Has Second Thoughts Escape for the Summer Amber Scott Is Starting Over Weight Till Christmas Dead Romantic

“My weight is a bit like the state of my bank account; if I don't check the balance I can't get upset.” 2 likes