Start by marking “Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom” as Want to Read:
Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom

Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Factual recount of escape from slavery
Published January 1st 2009 by Echo Library (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom

TheBookofJules
"United States, your banner wears,
Two emblems, - one of fame,
Alas, the other that it bears
Reminds us of your shame!
The white man's liberty in types
Stands blazoned by your stars;
But what's the meaning of your stripes?
They mean your Negro-scars."

My God.

This book has changed my view on nearly everything. In 58 pages, William and Ellen Craft managed to tell their story, the story of their family and the story of slavery.

Recommended for everyone. Right now. I have to process all of this.

Review to co
Holly
Jan 29, 2015 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs. People who like adventure stories. People who like short books.
This is a lovely little book. It's only about 60 pages and the narrative is a compelling one, so it's a very fast read. The book was written with the intention of condemning the less horrific cruelties of slavery (in addition to telling the story of two slaves' escape from slavery), which makes for a really shocking read. Somehow the less extreme stories hit a little closer to home. One such instance of this is when Craft tells the story of he and his siblings being sold. His sister is sold firs ...more
John
Really a fascinating read. Some of the things I found most interesting were:

1. The blurred racial lines, even back then, when slavery was "solid."
2. The blurred religious lines (a slave owner admitting her slave was more religious than her and had a positive influence on her spirituality, for example).
3. The irony of the slaves' need to escape to England for true freedom.

I read this book as a free ebook on Google Books: http://tinyurl.com/bygkcg
Anne Fenwick
It's really easy to see why this particular slave narrative was hugely popular in its day. The Craft couple's escape from the American South makes for a dramatic story. From a historical perspective, just realizing the sheer distance between Georgia and Philadelphia in the 19th century is quite interesting. It's not by any means the best written of slave narratives, but it's short and easy to read. Apart from that it is particularly interesting for these topics:

1. Life in the upper echelons of s
Kevan Craft
This book's account of a slave couple, man and wife, who together escape their slavery from the pre American Civil War period and who eventually flee to England where they ultimately find their freedom. But this story is also about unexpectedly discovering the methods the couple used to run across America, from South to North, by crossing borders, rivers, roads, railroads and eventually by ship to another country is a fascinating story in itself. The method of their escape however, is at the hea ...more
Eileen
This is a true story of two escaped slaves that could have stayed in England and have a pretty good life, but instead keep fighting for the freedom and justice of blacks.
Christopher Sutch
This is a very good description of a slave couple's planning and execution of an escape from Georgia into Canada and, ultimately, to England. This would make a good book to instruct high school students about slavery and the tension between the North and the South, especially after the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act. Craft has some very sharp and interesting observations about Northern religious support for slavery and the FSA, and also about racism in the North and in Canada. Very interestin ...more
Haengbok92
Great book (two books really, the first half a first person autobiography, and the second half puts the first in historical context, filling in the blanks). I had no idea about the Craft's story before this book, and was on the edge of my seat, and at the same time saddened by their experiences. Overall, excellent.
Sherri
This book was fine for what it is - an escaped slave narrative. I didn't finish it simply because I kept finding things more interesting to read - I know, its sad that reality takes second place to fiction, but I felt more like Running would be something I'd read for class rather than for fun.
Jean
Great story about a couple in slavery who escaped in order to be free and to start a family. The young woman was a mulatto and passed for a white man during their escape. Her husband acted as her slave through the journey up north.
Bridget Cooks
Sep 08, 2007 Bridget Cooks is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of two Black slaves who escape slavery. The woman is light skinned and passes for White man in their escape plot. Her husband poses as her/his slave. It's a true story. I've been wanting to read it for years.
Mell
Great first-person narrative of a bold escape from slavery.
Steven
Read for African American Literature
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Larissa Bell
Larissa Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Mk
Mk marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Courtney Smith
Courtney Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Gabriela
Gabriela is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2015
  • Star Wars: A New Hope Manga, Volume 1
  • The Bondwoman's Narrative
  • The Girl in the Trees
  • A Confederate Girl's Diary
  • Let the Trumpet Sound: A Life of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Amazingly Extra-Ordinary Women
  • Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America
  • A Dream of Armageddon
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom
  • Seduction of the Innocent: The Influence of Comic Books on Today's Youth
  • In Destiny's Hands: Five Tragic Rulers, Children of Maria Theresa
  • The Sound of His Horn
  • Patriotic Treason: John Brown and the Soul of America
Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom: or The Escape of William and Ellen Craft from Slavery Labyrinth of Desire: Invention and Culture in the Work of Sir Philip Sidney Running A Thousand Miles For Freedom The American Negro Slave Narratives