Start by marking “The Alchemist's Pursuit (The Alchemist, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Alchemist's Pursuit (The Alchemist, #3)

The Alchemist's Pursuit (The Alchemist #3)

Someone is murdering the courtesans of Venice, and legendary clairvoyant Nostradamus and his apprentice Alfeo must pursue a labyrinth of clues to find the killer.
Published February 23rd 2010 by Ace (first published February 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemist's Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alchemist's Pursuit

Wm
This is the final volume of the alchemist's trilogy and I like it the best. And mainly because I think the mystery is the most interesting of the three and you get a healthy does of Violetta and Nostradamus (and little less politics and less truck with the supernatural). In addition I found the tarot readings and crystal ball gazing to be more natural and plot-driven (or driving?) this time too. And oddly enough (since usually things get ramped up in the final volume) there are no actual sex sce ...more
John
Jun 01, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Alchemist series, continues this excellent historical mystery series. Ther book is set in a Venice of the late 15 hundreds. The protagonist, Alfeo, is an improverished noble man that is apprenticed to Nostradamus. Alfeo and his master are challenged to solve a murder that was committed eight years ago but some how ties into a recent series of murders of aging cortesans. A fun summer read.
Hillary Douin
Sep 18, 2014 Hillary Douin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good blend of humor, historical detail, and cleverly plotted mystery. Enjoyable characters that make you care about what happens to them.
Tim Hicks
Dec 10, 2016 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A third straight good story in the series.
This one is a bit more complex, and unrolls facts throughout that were not obvious, but when revealed are always plausible.

In fact, I'll bet that in this one Duncan spent as much time planning out the plot as he did writing it. Maybe more.

I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a fourth book, but maybe it was time to move along.

My experience with Duncan so far is that he can write about anything and it will be worth reading.
D.w.
Jun 13, 2014 D.w. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
The conclusion of the trilogy, and perhaps the best yet. There are twists and turns, and a resolution to the mystery that you probably not see coming. With the elements there, it is hard to figure out yet Nostradamus and Alfeo do.

Along with their many acquaintances, and working with the structure of Venice, this historical mystery teaches us about renaissance Venice and is a lot of fun as well. One could not ask for better as a guide to the time and era.

All told, this little trilogy was very muc
Jessica
Oct 07, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could hardly put this down, I tore through it in only a few days. One morning I indulged in 3-4 hours of just reading, coffee, and quite solitude. It was bliss. I really enjoy the characters and setting. In this third installment of Duncan's series, courtesans are being murdered in Venice and Nostradamus and his apprentice Alfeo work quickly to find the killer before the next victim. The Alchemist books are delightful, well-written stories that are rich in flavor and historical setting. I prac ...more
Bob Sharp
Feb 22, 2016 Bob Sharp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I had not read any of Dave Duncan's work before, but I thoroughly enjoyed these three books. It's obvious he has spent a large amount of time familiarizing himself with the time period these books are set in and I really like his style of writing.

I enjoyed that these weren't the standard fantasy tropes, this was more Sherlock Holmes than Lord of the Rings. It all meshed very well together I thought and I look forward to reading more of Duncan's work.
Deborah Ross
Apr 23, 2012 Deborah Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Effortless to read, full of color and texture (alternate Renaissance Venice), basically a mystery with way enjoyable scenery. For me, Duncan's work is a wonderful blend of experienced-pro skills and freshness of invention. Read his ILL MET IN THE ARENA awhile ago, also the two novels set in the hexagonal world. Antidote to boredom!
Chanda
Mar 24, 2010 Chanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There isn't much to report here. This wasn't a bad story but it wasn't a great one either. It would probably be more engaging if you read the first two in the series but I'm not intrigued enough to seek them out. I paid $5 for it. It was worth $5, but no more.
Cal
Mar 04, 2016 Cal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An "un-standard" who-done-it, murder mystery in 16th century Venice. Nice tale (including the cat's tail!). Alfeo gets the best of Vasco again. Each of the 3 books in the series can be read as stand-alones. Epic fantasy this is not. Nice, well told story. And, of course, Nostradamus's character is a fine fabrication.
Katie
May 01, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've really enjoyed this trilogy, and I think that this perhaps has been my favorite. It's written in an parallel historical Venice where slight magic & witch craft can be done (although are more 'flavor' than integral parts of the story). I'm definitely going to be picking up more books by this author.
Dave Justus
Apr 09, 2009 Dave Justus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third of the Alchemist series, which stars Alfeo Zeno, the apprentice of Nostradamus in an alterate Venice where magic works. Really good so far and the other two were very good. Finished it now...the best of the series.
Rik Scarborough
Apr 13, 2014 Rik Scarborough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series

Probably my favorite series by one of my of favorite authors.This is the 3rd, and I think the best in the series. I recommend the books a great deal, and suggest starting at the beginning, but this one can be read alone.
Xenophon Hendrix
Apr 24, 2010 Xenophon Hendrix rated it really liked it
This is yet another well written Dave Duncan novel. The third book in a series of historical mystery fantasies set in Venice, it has good characterization, wit, and some swashbuckling. The author should be far more popular than he is among readers of fantastic literature.
Patricia Eddy
I wanted to get through this book but I just couldn't. I think that the story was good, but there was just so much extra shoved into the book that seemed like history, random offshoots, and fluff. I made it about 30% through the book before just giving up.
Mf
Dec 03, 2009 Mf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery set in classic Venice. This series doesn't really build on itself, though. That is the characters are good, but they don't evolve across the novels. The amount of mysticism is low, the history of venice is high, overall worth a read.
Veronica
Dec 03, 2011 Veronica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The introduction was very weak with the protagonist behaving like a cocky inexperienced young man obsessed with his present occupation. Once the mystery portion began, things began to look up.
Still a somewhat confusing novel.
Nancy K
Not as much magic as in the first and a definite tribute to Nero Wolf and Archie. Good well plotted mystery.
Joy
Nov 09, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems to be open for future stories. Each can easily be read as a stand alone. More mystery than magic but the character is very likable with lots of funny 'gum-shoe' quips.
Cindy
Aug 25, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I'm really sad to see this trilogy end. I like the characters and they are changing - I want to see what else happens to them!
Sean Randall
Nov 01, 2014 Sean Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As well put-together as the rest of the series. Despite my repeated claims that this isn't Duncan's best, I was still compelled toward the end.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
titan
titan rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Sean McCrohan
Sean McCrohan rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Veelana
Veelana rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Richard Kerby
Richard Kerby rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2014
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • Hold the Dark (Markhat, #3)
  • A Midsummer's Magic
  • A Trace of Memory
  • Quincey Morris, Vampire
  • Mountain Magic
  • One Winter's Night: A Regency Yuletide Collection
  • The Morgaine Saga (Morgaine & Vanye, #1-3)
  • The Ganymede Club (Cold As Ice, #2)
  • Transgressions: Novellas 1-10
  • Overkill (Orphan's legacy, #1)
  • A Perfect Curse (The Rue Alliance, #3)
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • City of Bones
  • The Broken Gun
  • Judgment at Proteus (Quadrail, #5)
  • The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)

The Alchemist (3 books)
  • The Alchemist's Apprentice (The Alchemist, #1)
  • The Alchemist's Code (The Alchemist, #2)