Heretic

Heretic (Templar Chronicles #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  81 reviews

At the end of the First Crusade, the church

created a monastic military order known

as the Knights Templar. Now, rising up from

the ashes of history, they are the Vatican's last

defense in the war between good and evil...

AN ANCIENT ARMY REBORN

Cade Williams is no ordinary man. His ability to cross over to the other side makes him uniquely qualified to command the Ch

Published August 15th 2007 (first published September 27th 2005)

Ilona Andrews
’ve been struggling with edits, and when that happens, I usually start really hating all things in my genre. I’ve tried a couple of PNR books, and for some reason both turned out to be very much paint-by-numbers. He is a big well-hung uber alpha male. She is vampire/werewolf/hybrid/angel. He must have her. They bang. They bang some more. Snoozefest.

So I wanted something different and this is different. It has absolutely no romance. It follows the modern knights Templar, who are battling paranorm...more
Irene
This is the story of Cade Williams, a member of the modern Templar Knights, who, in this book, are the secret combat unit of the Catholic church. They are charged with protecting mankind from supernatural-type evil. Cade leads the Echo Team, a combat unit known for their effectiveness in getting the job done. Cade is known by other Templar Knights as "The Heretic," due to his seemingly strange powers and his apparent lack of faith.

Five years earlier, his home is attacked by some sort of powerful...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm beginning to get a feel for Nassise I think. I like most of the books I've read by him. There always seems to be a little flaw somewhere that keeps me from giving them the complete 5 stars. That said they are fast moving, exciting and interesting. He deals with interesting topics and the books deal with it in a "storyteller's" fashion. They are for the most part what I call "brain candy" but that's okay...I like good brain candy.

This deals with the idea that the Knights Templar were secretly...more
Paula Howard
Heretic by Joseph Nassise takes takes two old storylines evil and and the Church and mixes them into one fantastic story. The Knights Templar are alive and well and protection the Church from evil in form of paranormal creatures.

Cade Willimas is a member of the modern day Knights Templars. He isn't what one would expect from a Templar. He no longer is much of a believer and is referred to as the Heretic. His world fell apart after his wife, Gabbi, was killed by a fallen angel. Cade was nearly ki...more
Ralph
I was a bit surprised by this one. The story synopsis had sounded to me like the author was trying to combine too many elements in a story: ancient angelic weapons/relics, fallen angels, paranormal abilities, Templars, and necromancy ... I am sure I am missing a few others things, too. But it was free (at least at the time) through Amazon, so I downloaded it, and I finally got around to reading it.

I wished I hadn't waited so long. Nassise does a great job of keeping my attention as the story pr...more
Kelly
Joseph Nassise's Templar Chronicles series features a modern-day Knights Templar organization that battles the supernatural bad guys of the world. Its hero, Cade Williams, is a member of the Templars but has an uncanny reputation among the order for his psychic abilities. The Heretic is the first in the series and revolves around a cabal of sorcerers who is attacking Templar commanderies, slaughtering the members, and desecrating the cemeteries in search of a holy relic. Cade and his unit are as...more
Meghan
Funny thing about this book. I received it last week as an r2r and was so excited to receive this book - Knights Templar + Demons, I mean, how could I resist? - and when I went to Amazon today to add my review, I found out that I had already purchased this book (I had found it for free on Amazon at one point and grabbed it) and had completely forgotten that I had done so. No wonder I was so excited haha. This is actually the third book that I have done this to. I guess that's proof positive that...more
Jacob Proffitt
This book isn't horrible. The writing is coherent and it has great action and the characters are very... manly. I just couldn't get into it and finally decided that my time was worth more than continuing the book (from about the 67% mark). Despite the urban fantasy setting (and my shelving it there), this book is much more a mens action-adventure novel (along the lines of Max Bolan or Remo Williams). The men are dedicated, capable, and well-trained and they dominate their paradigm in no-uncertai...more
Nancy
Cade Williams didn’t do orders; he also didn’t do Rules - especially when they got in the way of his job as a Knight Commander of the Templars. Cade didn’t start out that way but having your wife killed in front of you tends to change your outlook.
Sean Duncan headed up the Protectors group of the Templars and is in charge of care of the Preceptor for North America. They are in Connecticut to investigate a Templar group left in ruins, all dead who were there at the time of the event. How did the...more
Sam
This was a fast paced thriller with a strong supernatural element. The Templars were reformed and now work as a mostly military arm alongside the Church, protecting humanity from lurking nasties. Cade Williams, AKA The Heretic, leads a team of Templars assigned to some of the more unpleasant jobs. He joined after his wife was brutally murdered by something otherworldly, an attack which left him with some terrible physical and emotional scars, and some rather unexpected abilities.

The story moved...more
Lisa
The Order of the Knights Templar has persisted in secrecy through the decades, fighting to protect humanity from otherworldly evils most people would rather not know exist. Cade Williams, one of the most obscure amongst the Order, is also the most enigmatic and unorthodox, instilling fear even amongst his fellows; however, he might be the only person capable of saving the world from an evil so powerful that it threatens to destroy the divide between reality and a realm known as the Otherworld.

I...more
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
The Knights Templar, thought to have been disbanded in the 14th century, are alive and well - reborn with a military hierarchy as an arm of the Vatican. Their new mission is to defend mankind from supernatural threats and enemies.

Knight Commander Cade Williams, known as "The Heretic", is head of the Echo Team, a highly specialized unit whose members each have unique "gifts". Cade had been a highly-decorated Massachusetts police officer and a member of Special Tactics. An attack that left Cade di...more
Ginny Lurcock
So Jena, my partner in crime over at Pure Textuality, has been on me to read Joseph Nassise for like … ever. (I don’t remember when, so I’m going with forever) but I never got around to it.

Now I feel like a total jerk.

What I liked:
Mr. Nassise writes a pretty story. Well, okay, the story itself is actually gritty and involves a fair amount of insides that are now on the outside … but the actual structure of the story is so damn pretty. The way he used specific words to build a story is just an ar...more
Jana Stocks Brown
I picked this book up as a Kindle freebie, which generally means my expectations are fairly low, and was very pleasantly surprised. Heretic is a dark military urban fantasy. If you're looking for girls kick butt or vampire romance don't look here. Instead the focus is on the Knights Templar and their battle against sorcerers and demonic forces of the paranormal. It's not a perfect book, but it was a quick fun read and I'm intrigued enough by the plot and the characters to buy the rest of the ser...more
Tiki
Well this one is hard to rate...I almost stopped reading because it didn't really grab me until about half way through. that's a little late in the book for me, but I really hate to give up on anything! I'm glad I continued because it did get better. The last 25% of the book I really enjoyed. So I'm giving it a 3 (first half, a 2; second half a 4)

For me it was a pretty dry read in the beginning - didn't feel any emotional connection, and I enjoy the military aspects, but appreciate a little humo...more
Rick Taubold
I enjoyed this book very much. The characters are well defined, the story is very good, and the writing is good. Although the story isn't as good as The DaVinci Code (but how many books of this type are), it is superior in character development. The writing in a few spots was weak, but overall, it also surpassed DaVinci code (which had clean, but perfectly sterile prose). As some have mentioned, this book could have benefitted from better editing, but I didn't find it seriously lacking in that d...more
Rosa Hoffman
I really liked it

at times it reminded me of that show warehouse
13, but a good premise: present day Templars and the supernatural together, very cool. looking forward to the next book
Jo  ROY
Great story

Hard to put down. Good plot and story line. Can't wait to read. the rest of this series to see if they are saga all this good.
Darcia Helle
This book sucked me in right from the beginning and held me there until the very end. The only thing I didn't like about this book was putting it down.

While The Heretic is about the Knights of Templar, a religious order, it is not preachy and does not force any particular belief on readers. The Heretic is nonstop action, a paranormal thriller filled with the intricacies of relationships, struggles with faith, love, vengeance and duty. The writing is vivid, the characters made me care and the plo...more
a cup of coffee and a fairytale
i received this book i exchange of an honest review.

this book is an interesting story of knights templars and church which deals with the super powers supernatural threats. this book is written very well. it will get you hooked from the first page itself. the author is more of a story teller than a writer. i downright hated the cover-page. it does not do any justice to the story inside. i wish there was more thought given over the cover-page.
Sally Bisbee
This was the beginning of a new author obsession for me. I love these books! They're about an elite group of Templars who are called into fight evil, and I mean true evil. They're right up there with the Harry Dresden novels and the John Taylor novels and I LOVE those!

Alas, the latest Heretic book is not yet available for my nook and it sounds like he may just write one more after that before ending the series. I'll be very sad if he ends Cade's adventures after only five books.
Ken
I read this in the Kindle format. When I first picked this up, I had never heard of the author or the book before. I just decided to read it on a whim, thinking the short blurb about it showed promise. After that,I couldn't put it down. This was a really well written story, including elements of religion that were handled quite well. I felt the idea of one of the top soldiers being The Heretic to be quite interesting - showing God is in it to win it.
Orinks
I thought when I came across this book that it was simply another military series in the style of Mack Bolan and those types of modern stuff. However, this book and series are cool. Add supernatural elements such as a world between life and death, millitary for the church due to such creatures, and people with supernatral abilities all make this a pretty sweet series. Yes, the characters and plot are cool. But why spoil those?
Pauline Creeden
Engrossing and twisted. Dancing on the edge of apocalyptic disaster, Cade and his knights templar fight to keep the world from falling into ruin. Loaded Catholic symbolism, this dark urban fantasy series should draw a following. 4.5 Stars *I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review*
Donna
I entered a drawing at Phoenix ComiCon last month and didn’t end up winning anything but as a consolation prize the author let us choose a title from his works and this is what I chose. I already have ROGUE ANGEL on my TBR shelf and this one sounded pretty interesting too so why not try out a new series, right?

The POV is from two different people, one guy a reluctant addition to the Heretic’s group and the other is the Heretic himself. Both of them were rather . . . bland. The guy not Cade, whos...more
Darcy
I stumbled across this one when I was at the library. It was one of those books that was a maybe for me, one that could go either way for me. After 45 pages I am sorry to say it went the wrong way. I had a hard time connecting with the story and even be interested in the main character. This one just wasn't for me.
Erika
I rarely finish books that I'm not enjoying -- unless they are assigned reading (and often not even then). This was not a problem here. Mr. Nassise did not disappoint. Good story, a few twists, the Knights went into battle. I loved it. Off to read A Scream of Angels, now. Ta-ta!
Karen
This is the first book I have read by this writer and I look forward to reading more. My only complaint is that the ending seemed a little rushed, there was so much time building up to Cane's confrontation with the bad guy and then it was all over in a couple of pages
Gene
Not bad, good action book. I'll pick up the next to see how it proceeds. Would like to have seen a bit more character development.
Sweemeng Ng
This book is more action than story, but the combination of Fantasy, military action, and secret society is enough to make it interesting.
Free on Libboo 1 3 May 13, 2013 02:54PM
  • Bypass Gemini
  • Undersea
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • Disciple (Part I)
  • Dire Means
  • A Latent Dark
  • The Wicked Day  (The Tormay Trilogy, #3)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1 and #2)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Dark Before Dawn
Joseph Nassise is the author of more than twenty novels, including the internationally bestselling TEMPLAR CHRONICLES series, the JEREMIAH HUNT trilogy, and the GREAT UNDEAD WAR series. He has also written several books in the popular Rogue Angel action-adventure series.

His work has been nominated for both the Bram Stoker Award and the International Horror Guild Award and has been translated into...more
More about Joseph Nassise...
Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1) A Scream of Angels (Templar Chronicles #2) A Tear in the Sky (Templar Chronicles #3) King of the Dead (Jeremiah Hunt, #2) By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)