Start by marking “Louis Armstrong” as Want to Read:
Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Louis Armstrong was the founding father of jazz and one of this century's towering cultural figures, yet the full story of his extravagant life has never been told.

Born in 1901 to the sixteen-year-old daughter of a slave, he came of age among the prostitutes, pimps, and rag-and-bone merchants of New Orleans.He married four times and enjoyed countless romantic involvements
Published June 1st 1998 by Three Rivers Press (first published June 16th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Louis Armstrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louis Armstrong

Louise
You get not only a bio of a great musician & person, you get a detailed description how Blacks lived New Orleans through the turn of the century. You also get a better understanding of how the pre-recording (and therefore unrecorded) sounds of untutored musicians became the roots of the New Orleans musical genre and how the odds were stacked against Louis. You come to understand his workaholism and his deference to his eventual agent, who probably exploited him.

As the book progresses, the hi
Linda
When I was fourteen years old I went to a Louis Armstrong concert and was absolutely mesmerized by the man who filled the entire fieldhouse with his awesome presence and brilliant musicianship. Fifty-plus years later, I'm quick to tell you that Louis Armstrong is still my favorite musician. In the years following that October 1961 concert, Louis came across as the ambassador of goodwill around the world, and his gravelly-voiced rendition of Hello, Dolly and What a Wonderful World reintroduced hi ...more
Bill O'driscoll
Thoroughly engaging and notably enlightening biography. I went into it an Armstrong fan, but came away with a full understanding of why he's arguably the most important figure in American popular music (at least in the first half of the 20th century). Crucially, Bergreen paints a fine-grained picture of New Orleans as Armstrong lived it in his formative years, including the stint at a boy's home which was a major turning point in his life. We also get nice portraits of jazz giants like Buddy Bol ...more
Brendan
Bergreen tells a good story, but that's not enough to make this biography work. Too many of his facts are wrong and he doesn't provide particularly good documentation of his sources. It seems clear that he doesn't know too much about jazz music either. Louis Armstrong deserves much better than that.
Morris Nelms
Outstanding biography, with plenty of things I didn't know about Louis. If you are a jazz fan it's a must. If you love music it's a must. If you simply want to read the story of an inspired and inspirational life, it's a must.
Rick
Bought this after reading a favorable review some 13 years ago but then read a bunch of less than favorable reviews so it took me awhile to get around to it. Mostly the unfavorable reviews are right. This is only a serviceable biography with its best feature being the amount of talking the author allows Armstrong to do through his own writings. Armstrong wrote for almost all of his adult life. Letters, scraps of memoirs, articles. So his papers are a great resource and they pepper this biography ...more
Gary Comins
I really enjoyed this book, especially the first few chapters that set the New Orleans scene. So many great musicians and a wonderful timeline of Armstrong's life.
Michael Hillman
I love Louis but what makes this book really interesting is the description of the early years in New Orleans and Chicago.
Spiros
Dec 11, 2009 Spiros rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interseted in larger than life performers
A thoroughly workmanlike account of the life of a truly great American: short on analysis, but rich in detail. I was struck by the parallels between Satchmo and that other towering figure of the Jazz Age, Babe Ruth; both men grew up in shambolic circumstances, both spending time in institutions where, amongst hardship and deprivation, they were given the chance to develop the skills with which they revolutionized their respective fields.
Todd
Excellent portrait of the artist who can arguably be called the greatest jazz musician who ever lived. Bergreen gives us Armstrong the man and musician with a meticulously detailed look at his life and career. Armstrong more than anyone seemed to embody the jazz philosophy that permeated the 20th Century. This book captures that spirit and shows us why Satchmo is really the indispensible figure in jazz.
Mladen
Amazing. The book, the life, the music, everything.
A good book to read by any who love music, especially jazz, or by those who love Louis Armstrong.
Learned so much about the early 1900's, and about the birth of jazz.
The writter not only captures the life of Louis, but also you have glimpses into the lives of some of the more important people who had crossed paths with the great Satchmo.
Brian
Much more than a simple biography. I found this book to be a historical account of jazz itself, how the recording industry began, civil rights, the mob connection. Really a huge insight as to why things are the way they are and especially how jazz would not have been jazz without Louis Armstrong.
Rich Boyett
It was a very good read up until Louis became well known and successful and then the storyline dragged to the very end. Probably not the author's fault just how things played out.
Cheryl Mcenaney
One of the best biographies I've ever read, and definitely the best of the three Armstrong bios I've read so far. Outstanding research and presentation.
Jpaflas
Apr 01, 2008 Jpaflas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
A really good bio on Louis. There is a reason he is so well known... most influential and one of the best jazz horn players ever.
Daniel
Fascinating story, incredible musician, deftly told.
Annalis
Where is my copy of this.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Lalo Dagach
Lalo Dagach marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Triffid
Triffid marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Техамана
Техамана marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • To Be or Not to Bop
  • A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album
  • Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans
  • Zappa: A Biography
Laurence Bergreen is an award-winning biographer, historian, and chronicler of exploration. His books have been translated into over 20 languages worldwide. In October 2007, Alfred A. Knopf published Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu, a groundbreaking biography of the iconic traveler. Warner Brothers is developing a feature film based on this book starring Matt Damon and written by William Monahan ...more
More about Laurence Bergreen...
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu Columbus: The Four Voyages Capone: The Man and the Era As Thousands Cheer: The Life of Irving Berlin