Start by marking “The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House” as Want to Read:
The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House

The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House

The definitive account of one of the most accomplished, controversial, and polarizing figures in American history

Bill Clinton is the most arresting leader of his generation. He transformed American politics, and his eight years as president spawned arguments that continue to resonate. For all that has been written about this singular personality–including Clinton’s own mas

Published May 31st 2005 by Random House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivor

Jeffrey Keeten
”There’s no reason to suppose that a man who caused so much debate in his own time will have a settled and stable reputation in posterity. ‘History,’ said the historian Pieter Geyl, ‘is an argument without end.’”

photo BillClinton_zps41e1fa18.jpg
Just let me explain!

William Jefferson Clinton was breaking his first campaign promise just as he was beginning to warm his hard won seat in the Oval Office. He had said on the campaign trail that he was going to offer amnesty to Haitian refugees. On paper it seemed like an easy promise,
Jun 08, 2013 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Survivor is my sixth stop on my quest to read a biography of every American President (Washington, Adams, Johnson, and both Bushes already completed). Of all of the President's, reading a biography of Clinton was one I was really looking forward to. He was the first President I really remember. I still have a memory of watching his 1992 inauguration in the library at school. But while I remember most of his presidency, it ended before I really got into politics.

I am glad I chose this book to
Jul 15, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am certainly not the first one to pick up a biography of anyone, let alone a president, which is a bit ironic since my BA is in political science. This was written by John Harris, a journalist. The historian/political scientist in me cringes a bit to admit that but I was looking for a book I could read quickly and learn a little bit from. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book and found myself throughout the book actually entertaining thoughts of reading another political biography.

The a
Robert Jones
Jun 04, 2015 Robert Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As hard as it must be to avoid injecting ones own political opinions on a biography of a recent president - especially one like Bill Clinton - but Harris manages the job quite admirably. It's obvious that he respects Clinton, and his tone can get a little apologetic at times, but it is an otherwise an unflinching and honest portray of Clinton's eight years in office - from Bosnia to Kosovo, from the Oklahoma City bombing to the Monica Lewinsky scandal. The book is at all times accessible, teachi ...more
Oct 12, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about the Bill Clinton Presidency. Not necessarily any surprises, but certainly a fair look at both his good and bad qualities during the eight years he was in office. I didn't know much about some of the places around the world where the U.S. was involved during that time...or not involved enough, depending on your point of view. Great read.

**#89 of 120 books pledged to read/review during 2016**
Scott Holstad
Feb 20, 2013 Scott Holstad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I hate this book and I despise the author. I couldn't believe, when looking through the Goodreads reviews, how many people call this book "balanced." I think it's anything but. I think it's a hatchet job on a great man, Bill Clinton, my favorite president of all time. I admit to being biased, but I've read several Clinton books and none were as unflattering as this one. I couldn't even finish it! I couldn't even get past the second chapter! Virtually every page is stocked with loaded language de ...more
Aug 26, 2016 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, history
(3.5) I was 7 when Bill Clinton took office and 15 when he left. Certainly, a lot changed for me in that time but from my hazy memories, I recall a nation and a presidency that was in mostly good shape. I'm grateful to have pre-9/11 memories of walking briskly through airports and not seeing Muslims subject to McCarthy-esque racism. But what were those times like politically? I felt like all I could recall from Clinton's tenure was the Lewinsky scandal.

This book is supposed to be the best for sh
Anthony Taylor
Aug 06, 2012 Anthony Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This is not only on of the best political biographies I've ever read but one of the best historical records committed to paper (well that what I think!). Harris does as great job of capturing Clinton without either siding with him or against him. He clearly shows Clinton's strengths and weaknesses in the political arena and throughout the Clinton White House years by clear examples captured in a direct and well edited narrative.

Clinton was clearly one of the "biggest" personalities ever to lead
May 15, 2013 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
I picked up this book because I was looking for a neutral account of the Clinton years that provided some historical context on his presidency as we get further and further away from 2000. This book delivered to a degree.

The pros -- it is neither a politically charged book, nor a play by play of every conversation that occurred in the Clinton White House, and it provides a reasonably balanced and thorough account of good, the bad, and the ugly of the Clinton presidency.

The cons -- the book was w
Feb 15, 2010 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book which provides a lot of interesting background for anyone interested in the subject. A LOT of things here that I didn't know and on the whole it's fairly balanced. It actually provided me with a more skeptical view of my chosen historical subject. Many fascinating anecdotes and of course it is spurring me on to further reading. However---John Harris, throughout the book, frequently writes that one of the biggest problems Clinton had was in not catering to the needs of the Wa ...more
An interesting albeit not entirely unbiased biography of the Clinton White House years. I read it because I wanted a little deeper insight into the economic policy during the Clinton years and how Congress and the WH worked together to achieve a decade of great economic success. This was probably the most fascinating part of the book -- learning how our federal government can come together in the middle and achieve greatness. Interesting to note that along with the rest of the country i was disg ...more
Jul 16, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting account of Pres. Bill Clinton's time in the White House. Often quite critical, I get the impression that Harris wasn't holding anything back when writing about the many crises and misadventures Clinton's presidency went through. I especially love the final chapter, in which Harris comments on the characteristics that defined Clinton as a president and discusses (in 2005) how George W. Bush and Hillary will both play a part in determining Clinton's long-term legacy. Harris defines ...more
Bookmarks Magazine

Harris admirably supports his contentions with evidence and shows readers the tension between Bill Clinton's light and dark sides. His treatment of Hillary Rodham Clinton, from her imperious role as "Deputy President" to her rivalry with Al Gore to her beleaguered marriage, is especially revelatory in light of her reputed 2008 presidential ambitions. In its evenhanded approach, The Survivor is like a Rorschach inkblot that elicits each reviewer's individual opinion of Clinton and his presidency.

David R
Feb 24, 2016 David R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a product of the 90 's. unfortunately i didn't pay attention to the important things. this book wonderfully filled in the details to the sketches of that time i remember. i am not a political scientist, armchair or credited, so i can't go into very much detail. what i will say is that, to me, i believe the Clintons and Monica Lewinsky were tragic heroes and Ken Starr should be put on trial himself for what he did. i often think of what other great work both Clintons could have accomplished ...more
Dec 30, 2014 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harris is a journalist and pundit who distinguishes himself by his calm and dispassion. This attitude is sustained throughout this lengthy book on Clinton's eight year administration, providing perspective on the at times bewildering variety of individual events. It is accessible as well as thorough, with short topical chapters and journalistic language that never gets too technical or wonky. If you love Clinton, or hate Clinton, this book is probably not likely to suit you; but if you want to g ...more
Rob Stone
Jesus, what a slog. About what you'd expect from a Beltway journalist: Clinton's biggest failures (NAFTA, healthcare/welfare reform, Bosnia/Rwanda) are glossed over as mere miscalculation while trivial gains in political mind games are touted as major victories. Most of his staff get off pretty easy, snakes like Podesta and Begala escape criticism for the most part. Hillary doesn't escape Harris' ire as easily, however it is her emotional deficiencies rather than policies which attracts it. I ga ...more
Apr 14, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americanhistory
It's interesting to think of Bill Clinton as a survivor. Most would get the impression from television appearances showing thousands of adoring fans that Clinton was and remains a well loved man, and president. He probably is loved by many, but probably not most. Moreover, the fact that he was even elected, and held on to his office was nothing short of surprising.

According to Harris, Clinton did achieve much in his 8 year tenure, but was hurt by his own indiscretions that gave him very little c
Sep 17, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly even-handed account of Clinton's presidency. As an admirer, I was appalled to learn what an ass he could be in private, but I guess that's the way with public figures. (I nearly threw a biography of Albert Camus at the wall when I read what a jerk he was to his family - I loved that guy!)

But I did learn answers to several questions I had always wondered about: Whatever happened to George Stephanopolous? How did Chelsea really react to the Lewinski scandal? And what went so wrong w
Aaron Shields
Oct 22, 2015 Aaron Shields rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: presidents
An even handed take on Slick Willy.

My even handed take on Bill: a vexing, often sad, vital character in American history. Beyond the fact that his womanizing is so unbecoming and creepy, and his Clinton Foundation has so many shady strands, as President he had ample highs, and lows. No matter the challenges, he somehow survived. Nothing sticks to the guy. (Slick Willy indeed)

Same with Hillary. The ruthless, relentless family dynasty continues...
Aug 15, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read about Bill Clinton's days in the White House. The most interesting part was his out maneuvering of Gingrich on the budget. There is some trivia I did not know about Clinton's worst times: his testimony before the grand jury on the Lewinsky matter. This book is an interesting read, but Mastering the Presidency is a better book about Clinton's first term. This book has details about the second term.
Oct 22, 2015 Hamish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really informative and well written, but eight years of policy and problems in 500 pages is never going to work? how do you fix that problem without it being way too long, im not sure. but there are months of developments here that disappear in five pages that really could have used more reflection. his private life is far more interesting than his public, but i think that says something about me more than anything else.
Jun 27, 2007 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fun read, and I would give it four stars on its face, but Harris has a bit of a history with accuracy and Republican slant. He recently wrote a Karl Rove apologia with ABC's Mark Halperin, "The Way to Win," has a skeezy relationship with Matt Drudge, and continues to carry the GOP's water as editor-in-chief of The Politico. These realities make it hard to regard as a genuine history of Clinton's Presidency.
Patrice Maltais
Mar 01, 2012 Patrice Maltais rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good and balanced book on the Clinton presidency. This is an interview-based account of the Clinton presidency years, so it doesn't dwelve much on how CLinton got there or what he did in the Arkansas legislature, although that period is well covered in the David Maraniss book 'First of his class'. Read together, this is a pretty good combo to have a fairly complete picture of Clinton's career. I recommend it.
Sep 04, 2016 Pablo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waites, politerror
Well written history of the Clinton Years. Being for the most part a big Bill fan, I was watching closely for the "Right Wing" blow below the belt, which never came. The story felt honest and fair, triumphs and blemishes alike. If you like politics, this book covers this period clearly and concisely. Solid 4 Star read!!
Jul 01, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining overview of the last time the Republicans were trying to roll a Democratic president, this only rarely gets caught up in the media elitist perspectives on Clinton that were all the rage at the time. I've read a number of books about the first man I ever voted for president, but, this best captures what the times were truly like, even if it's sometimes unintentional.
Alicia Brooks
Feb 20, 2013 Alicia Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow to get going which is strange given the subject matter but ultimately a fascinating look at Clinton's 8 years. It does feel a little dated in talking about what his legacy might be and what Hillary might do in the Senate. It was written in 2005 and I think so much has changed since then. I'd love to read what an update with all the 2008 campaign stuff in it.
Peter C
Apr 23, 2015 Peter C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timely, important, and well written

Those who do not learn from history are liable to repeat it . For all the " spin " doctors out there, this tome truly reminds us all of how traumatic the Clinton eight years were from one crisis to the next and the important lessons we all should have learned. Now the short sighted populous it appears may again repeat them.
Jerry Landry
Fascinating look into the Clinton White House. It seems that so much happened in that eight years, some of which I remembered vividly but other events on which this book provided a fresh perspective. Very well-done narrative style.
Sep 28, 2015 Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I had been reading a lot of books blaming Bush for 9/11, and I thought, wait a minute, Bush had 8 months to prepare for 9/11, Clinton had 8 years! This shows the most amazing details of his presidency, including the Whitewater scandal.
Feb 27, 2007 muraguri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent look at Bill Clinton and his tenure in the White House. Great insight into the personalities around Clinton from Hillary to the various administration officials and aides that came and went during the eight years. Probably the best book I've read on the Clinton years so far.
  • Lone Star Rising: Vol. 1: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1908-1960
  • Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full
  • First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton
  • The House: The History of the House of Representatives
  • President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination
  • Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
  • President James Buchanan: A Biography
  • Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)
  • Jefferson the President: Second Term, 1805-1809
  • John F. Kennedy: A Biography
  • Rutherford B. Hayes: Warrior and President
  • Kennedy and Nixon: The Rivalry That Shaped Postwar America
  • The Kennedy Half-Century: The Presidency, Assassination, and Lasting Legacy of John F. Kennedy
  • Bill Clinton: Mastering the Presidency