Start by marking “Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1

Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1 (Angel Sanctuary #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  6,676 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Why is Setsuna so mixed up? Despite his attempts to be noble, he'll fight anyone anytime; he ignores all authority; and he harbors feelings for his sister that can only be described as "incestuous." Why is he such a mess? The reason may be found with two demons from the underworld and their enemy, an insane angel who is distributing an insidious computer game called Angel ...more
Published February 25th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1

Holly Interlandi
Jun 27, 2007 Holly Interlandi rated it it was amazing
I'm just going to review this first volume instead of adding every single one, though I've read the entire series and it only gets better.
One of the great epics of our time. Totally irreverent and creatively blasphemous. Incest, angel sex, astral drugs, divine tattoos, a psychotic God, aborted tentacle-babies, apocalyptic battles, sword magic, nuns with uzis... and Satan is drop-dead sexy.
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
I shall give you the most exquisite nightmare.

This review is for the series, volumes 1-20. There may be spoilers (but I'll try not to include them), and there WILL be a lot of pictures!

This series was quite a ride. I can't believe I didn't make it a point to finish it sooner, having only made it to volume 11 years ago. Well, I rounded up the rest of the volumes and buckled down and now I'm done.

First, here's a picture I drew of Kira a long time ago. He's one of my favorite characters, which sh
Josh
Feb 02, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it
This reviews stands for the whole series. While not perfect I have yet to read a series (particularily an anime/manga) series with as much REAL depth as this one. It may start out simple (and perhaps even slightly amateur) but it quickly grows into an all-encompasisng series that covers every moral and philisophical issue on the spectrum, all without seeming cheap. With a strikingly original fantasy world and "Inferno" level-depth (which is clearly a major inspiration here), this series made me ...more
Shannon
Jan 03, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This is my first ever review so please forgive me if this is terrible. But angel sanctuary! Seriously if you’re thinking about it try it. Ive read all of them and well they are amazing. First off Kaori Yuki is so talented and a pure genius, the plot is so mind blowingly epic it can be complicated at times but it never fails to amaze, the art work is beautiful and so detailed it makes me wonder if Kaori Yuki is actually human. Kaori Yuki portrays Setsuna and Sara’s love so beautifully i constantl ...more
earthy
Apr 02, 2009 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya, manga
A challenging, interesting storyline with some really great characters, but the plot is So Epic that it's hard to keep everything straight. Still, the art is gorgeous, and Setsuna's flailing attempts to understand his past and come to terms with his not-so-platonic feelings for his sister are intriguing enough at this point for me to stick around for a few more volumes. FYI, the story involves a lot of violence and quite a bit of focus on Setsuna's and Sara's incestuous relationship, so if eithe ...more
Ana
Apr 21, 2009 Ana rated it did not like it
I disliked it completly. I seriously couldn't get past Chapter 2. The characters were annoying, the art was a mess ... it just didn't appeal to me.
Evey
Well, this was really, really weird. Chaotic angels, incest, gore, fights, apocalyptic shit... It's a hell of a lot going on. Interesting, and with a cool artwork. I'm in for the ride.
Lord
Jul 14, 2008 Lord rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Incest gothic manga? I just don't get the appeal.. one of the most disappointing manga ever for me..
Floriel Maree
|17\03\14|
Arrivato questo pomeriggio, lo attendevo da tempo *w* ed ho anche scoperto che i manga si leggono da destra verso sinistra... diverrò giapponese! ♥

|20\03\14|
4.80 stelline GR
{•5 stelline la prima parte del libro;
•4 stelline la seconda;
•5 stelline per i personaggi;
•5 per la storia;
•5 per l'evolversi della trama.}

Recensione a presto, intanto, è caldamente consigliato.

|19\05\14|
per ora, di media alla serie, un bel 4 stelline coccolose.

Una sera mi è capitato di annoiarmi a morte e, spro

Sophie
Mar 08, 2010 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never know whether to write my review for a whole series for the first or the last volume. I guess the first volume makes more sense, though, and I will do my best to avoid spoilers here. Just thinking about summarizing the plot makes my head ache, anyway.

So first, let's get the most obvious thing out of the way: the art of this manga is GORGEOUS. To die for. Really, really stunning - the art alone'd deserve at least six stars. Or more. (It's also fascinating to see how this classic series has
Barbara93
Nov 09, 2014 Barbara93 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read about one of society's greatest taboos.Also,very well written and expressed.It encourages you to think again about some of your choices.One of the parts that gave chills was when Satsuna responded to Kurai about her fears and hatred of humanity.

Setsuna : If what you say is true,then no one can blame you for hating us humans.But we weren't intentionally trying to hurt you.

We believed we were doing the right thing...or at least the best we can.We do our research and work to
Wickedshizuku
Apr 19, 2009 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anime and Manga fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: the anime
Kaori Yuki is probably the most interesting artist in manga. Though her story telling is border-line insane, and if you get to absorbed in this story; it could give you nightmares.
family guy snake gif photo: family guy evil money fammonkey2.gif
"Let's Kill Each Other!" is the title for the first volume cover art. This has our entire cast of characters, and what a cast it is!
On top of that a very complicated mythos to get through.
Then an introduction that just jumps right in on a present-day high school setting.
grrr photo: grrr grrrrrr.gif
Here's an awesome quote that the main chara
Cailin
Sep 13, 2008 Cailin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
This is the only graphic novel series I've stuck with. If you can get past the main social taboo driving the plot, it's a thrill to read.
A boy, the reincarnation of a very powerful angel, is madly in love with his sister. Much later in the series there are hints that she, too, was a celestial being, but I won't give anything away. Instead of being freaked out by the relationship, just go along with it, because the journey they undertake to be together is convoluted and VERY creative.
The residen
Дени Проданова
Срам ме е да си призная, че има 10 години от както се каня да прочета тази манга. Спомням си, че бях на около 13 когато гледах анимето и се запечата в спомените ми. Тези 3 епизода и до днес са в топ 5 на любимите ми анимета (как навряха 20 тома история в 3 епизода не знам). Най-странното е, че не мога да обясня защо.
Арта на мангата е страхотен макар, че сканлацията, която чета да е с кофти качество. Историята е доста мъчна за следене... Всички тези персонажи, сякаш всичките важни, припокриват с
Orlaith
Jun 29, 2012 Orlaith rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, mini-reviewed
A whole 20-volume series of Yuki Kaori's art and story? Yes please!

We are introduced to Setsuna, a teenage boy from Toyko, but it is revealed that he is the reincarnation of Alexiel, an angel who rebelled against God and her twin brother, Rociel.

In the beginning there are two streams to the story - first there is Setsuna's own life, filled with fist fights with the local thugs, and his confusing and illicit love for his own sister, Sara.

There is also the story of Kurai and Arakune, two demons
Lynn Rainbow
Jan 25, 2016 Lynn Rainbow rated it really liked it
I already read this in high school, and I enjoyed it even this time! It has been ages since I last read a manga, and this one is pretty weird and strange and it has a really interesting plot (even though it could be a little disturbing due to the incest factor). And the drawings are GORGEOUS!! So I'll definetly keep reading this manga series!
Lena
Dec 03, 2008 Lena rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
Something is incredibly profound and captivating about this series. The fact that it follows its own rules is definitely something to admire. I can only imagine what I've yet to read, but I'm sure to find out soon, because the story is addictive. It's a different kinda manga, in a world full of contrived ones.
Pedro Queiroz
Oct 12, 2014 Pedro Queiroz rated it it was ok
Poor writing at its worst, this series is a huge nonsensical blob of meaningless phrases hidden behind flashy themes and detailed artwork. From shallow, predictable characters who serve no purpose to a plot that is as clichéd as it is full of inconsistencies, this series' only strength lies in its never ending storm of flowy hair.
Mizuki
Feb 15, 2013 Mizuki rated it liked it
ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SERIES! Even though I don't think the first volume is all that awesome, still Miss Kaori Yuki, whom I worship night and day, quickly improved a great deal in the later volumes!
Nicole
Jan 21, 2010 Nicole rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga, fantasy, shojo
I found the story very confusing, the swirl of bizarre characters dizzying, and the artwork flat. It may progress into something "more," but for me there was absolutely no pull to continue on with this series.
Katherine
Jan 11, 2014 Katherine rated it liked it
I think I need to reread this before I come to any sort of conclusion. It's been a while since I've read any manga so I was a little confused at times and not used to the pacing. I'll just leave it at that for now. But I'm intrigued enough to come back.
Valentina Bellettini
Nov 06, 2013 Valentina Bellettini rated it really liked it
“Angel Sanctuary” è la storia di Setsuna Mudo, sedicenne che soffre di un amore impossibile, quello per la sorella Sara. “Angel Sanctuary” è la storia di Alexiel, un’angelo femminile che un tempo si ribellò a Dio, e che per questo fu condannata a un ciclo di vite sulla Terra, tutte segnate da un amore tormentato e una tragica fine. Setsuna è l’ultima reincarnazione di Alexiel. Il giovane lo scopre quando due demoni, Cry e Arakune, giungono sulla Terra con l’intento di risvegliare il suo vero io; ...more
Eugenia Doran
Feb 17, 2017 Eugenia Doran rated it liked it
So 90s, so dated. Evil angels on floppy disks! So much flowing hair and ridiculous(ly awesome) clothing. Everyone has wings! Exactly the bit of nonsense that teen girls and young women like, which is why I loved it in 2004. This reread will be fun.
Lissibith
Jan 05, 2015 Lissibith rated it really liked it
Oh Angel Sanctuary. Hahaha.

I first read this series back when it was first coming out some ten yearsish ago. And while it definitely informed some of my "live and let live" attitude about people's personal choices, I also remembered it being kind of batshit.

I remembered right.

Even just trying to sum up the action of this first volume is difficult. Setsuna and Sara are siblings with a horrible secret - they're in love with one another. In an attempt to keep them from being all incestuous, their
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Apr 25, 2011 Nina (Death, Books, and Tea) rated it really liked it
First time read: Did not understand. At all. But loved the art. 2 stars
Second time read: Understood plot. Still loved art. But don't get why the characters have to look so similar.

Full review
Setsuna doesn’t know it, but he’s actually the reincarnation of the angel Alexiel, who has been sentenced to reincarnation into the mortal world until she has paid for her sins. So then two demons turn up praising him as Alexiel, and he obviously doesn’t know what’s going on. On a side note, Ruri, after bein
Carina
Apr 19, 2015 Carina rated it it was ok
I'm pretty certain this was the first manga series I ever read (and I think Inuyasha was the second), both were, I am ashamed to admit, scanlations - I know, the horror!

I don't recall a whole lot about this series, except that, at times, I had difficulty in differentiating which characters were who (an issue I also have with Vampire Knight). I have owned the first 3 tankabons for years but as there were so so many others to get I never really bothered. However I was given the 4th one for my birt
Alyssa Nelson
Aug 25, 2011 Alyssa Nelson rated it really liked it
Killer computer games, reincarnation, fallen angels, demons, weird romance -- this book has it all! Seriously, I don't think that it can get any cooler. Sometimes, when a bunch of really cool elements are thrown together in one book it can be disastrous, but Yuki pulls it off and has created an incredibly exciting, suspenseful series. Plus, the artwork is beautiful. I don't think I've ever read a manga with such gorgeous drawings.

As for the characters, I fell in love with Setsuna immediately, an
Tonya
Oct 03, 2012 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Angel Sanctuary vol. 1 was first published in Japan in 1995. The English translation was first published in 2004. This is significant because the storyline of this volume revolves around a ‘floppy disk’ which is linked to many unusual deaths.

This first volume is one giant set up, leaving the reader with a million and one questions and no answers. The heart of the story revolves around Setsuna Mudo, a high school student who seems to be a bit of a delinquent. Since his grandfather is English, he
Mellanie C
Feb 10, 2017 Mellanie C marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Michael Schmid
Oct 08, 2012 Michael Schmid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Geschichte um die verbotene Liebe zwischen Setsuna und Sara nimmt hiermit ihren Anfang und niemand anderes als der anorganische Engel Rosiel ist es, der diese Zwei trennen will. Ein für mich sehr gelungener Anfang und auch wenn die Geschichte am Anfang etwas wirr und unverständlich wirkt, kommt man irgendwann schon rein und dann liebt man diesen Manga einfach. Kaori Yuki hat sowieso einen sehr eigenen, detailreichen Zeichenstil, den ich einfach nur beneidenswert finde. Dies gepaart mit einen ...more
  • X/1999, Volume 01: Prelude
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 1
  • Ceres: Celestial Legend, Vol. 1: Aya
  • Loveless, Volume 3
  • Gravitation, Volume 01
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Vol. 5 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #5)
  • Demon Diary, Volume 01
  • Fake, Volume 01
Kaori Yuki (see also 由貴 香織里) is a female Japanese manga artist best known for her gothic manga such as Earl Cain, its sequel Godchild, and Angel Sanctuary. Yuki debuted in 1987 with Natsufuku no Erii (夏服のエリー) which ran in the manga anthology Bessatsu Hana to Yume published by Hakusensha.

Her work is typically serialized in one of Hakusensha's two shōjo manga anthologies, Bessatsu Hana to Yume and
More about Kaori Yuki...

Angel Sanctuary (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 2