Start by marking “Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1

Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1 (Angel Sanctuary #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  5,818 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Why is Setsuna so mixed up? Despite his attempts to be noble, he'll fight anyone anytime; he ignores all authority; and he harbors feelings for his sister that can only be described as "incestuous." Why is he such a mess? The reason may be found with two demons from the underworld and their enemy, an insane angel who is distributing an insidious computer game called Angel ...more
Published February 25th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
67th out of 957 books — 2,849 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko Takeuchi
Favorite Shoujo Manga
128th out of 595 books — 1,350 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Interlandi
I'm just going to review this first volume instead of adding every single one, though I've read the entire series and it only gets better.
One of the great epics of our time. Totally irreverent and creatively blasphemous. Incest, angel sex, astral drugs, divine tattoos, a psychotic God, aborted tentacle-babies, apocalyptic battles, sword magic, nuns with uzis... and Satan is drop-dead sexy.
Josh
This reviews stands for the whole series. While not perfect I have yet to read a series (particularily an anime/manga) series with as much REAL depth as this one. It may start out simple (and perhaps even slightly amateur) but it quickly grows into an all-encompasisng series that covers every moral and philisophical issue on the spectrum, all without seeming cheap. With a strikingly original fantasy world and "Inferno" level-depth (which is clearly a major inspiration here), this series made me ...more
Shannon
This is my first ever review so please forgive me if this is terrible. But angel sanctuary! Seriously if you’re thinking about it try it. Ive read all of them and well they are amazing. First off Kaori Yuki is so talented and a pure genius, the plot is so mind blowingly epic it can be complicated at times but it never fails to amaze, the art work is beautiful and so detailed it makes me wonder if Kaori Yuki is actually human. Kaori Yuki portrays Setsuna and Sara’s love so beautifully i constantl ...more
earthy
A challenging, interesting storyline with some really great characters, but the plot is So Epic that it's hard to keep everything straight. Still, the art is gorgeous, and Setsuna's flailing attempts to understand his past and come to terms with his not-so-platonic feelings for his sister are intriguing enough at this point for me to stick around for a few more volumes. FYI, the story involves a lot of violence and quite a bit of focus on Setsuna's and Sara's incestuous relationship, so if eithe ...more
Дени Проданова
Срам ме е да си призная, че има 10 години от както се каня да прочета тази манга. Спомням си, че бях на около 13 когато гледах анимето и се запечата в спомените ми. Тези 3 епизода и до днес са в топ 5 на любимите ми анимета (как навряха 20 тома история в 3 епизода не знам). Най-странното е, че не мога да обясня защо.
Арта на мангата е страхотен макар, че сканлацията, която чета да е с кофти качество. Историята е доста мъчна за следене... Всички тези персонажи, сякаш всичките важни, припокриват с
Barbara93
A very interesting read about one of society's greatest taboos.Also,very well written and expressed.It encourages you to think again about some of your choices.One of the parts that gave chills was when Satsuna responded to Kurai about her fears and hatred of humanity.

Setsuna : If what you say is true,then no one can blame you for hating us humans.But we weren't intentionally trying to hurt you.

We believed we were doing the right thing...or at least the best we can.We do our research and work to
Ana
I disliked it completly. I seriously couldn't get past Chapter 2. The characters were annoying, the art was a mess ... it just didn't appeal to me.
Lord
Nov 10, 2008 Lord rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Incest gothic manga? I just don't get the appeal.. one of the most disappointing manga ever for me..
Floriel Maree
|17\03\14|
Arrivato questo pomeriggio, lo attendevo da tempo *w* ed ho anche scoperto che i manga si leggono da destra verso sinistra... diverrò giapponese!

|20\03\14|
4.80 stelline GR
{•5 stelline la prima parte del libro;
•4 stelline la seconda;
•5 stelline per i personaggi;
•5 per la storia;
•5 per l'evolversi della trama.}

Recensione a presto, intanto, è caldamente consigliato.

|19\05\14|
per ora, di media alla serie, un bel 4 stelline coccolose.

Una sera mi è capitato di annoiarmi a morte e, sprov

Cailin
This is the only graphic novel series I've stuck with. If you can get past the main social taboo driving the plot, it's a thrill to read.
A boy, the reincarnation of a very powerful angel, is madly in love with his sister. Much later in the series there are hints that she, too, was a celestial being, but I won't give anything away. Instead of being freaked out by the relationship, just go along with it, because the journey they undertake to be together is convoluted and VERY creative.
The residen
Sophie
I never know whether to write my review for a whole series for the first or the last volume. I guess the first volume makes more sense, though, and I will do my best to avoid spoilers here. Just thinking about summarizing the plot makes my head ache, anyway.

So first, let's get the most obvious thing out of the way: the art of this manga is GORGEOUS. To die for. Really, really stunning - the art alone'd deserve at least six stars. Or more. (It's also fascinating to see how this classic series has
Orlaith
A whole 20-volume series of Yuki Kaori's art and story? Yes please!

We are introduced to Setsuna, a teenage boy from Toyko, but it is revealed that he is the reincarnation of Alexiel, an angel who rebelled against God and her twin brother, Rociel.

In the beginning there are two streams to the story - first there is Setsuna's own life, filled with fist fights with the local thugs, and his confusing and illicit love for his own sister, Sara.

There is also the story of Kurai and Arakune, two demons
Carina
I'm pretty certain this was the first manga series I ever read (and I think Inuyasha was the second), both were, I am ashamed to admit, scanlations - I know, the horror!

I don't recall a whole lot about this series, except that, at times, I had difficulty in differentiating which characters were who (an issue I also have with Vampire Knight). I have owned the first 3 tankabons for years but as there were so so many others to get I never really bothered. However I was given the 4th one for my birt
Katherine
I think I need to reread this before I come to any sort of conclusion. It's been a while since I've read any manga so I was a little confused at times and not used to the pacing. I'll just leave it at that for now. But I'm intrigued enough to come back.
Pedro Queiroz
Poor writing at its worst, this series is a huge nonsensical blob of meaningless phrases hidden behind flashy themes and detailed artwork. From shallow, predictable characters who serve no purpose to a plot that is as clichéd as it is full of inconsistencies, this series' only strength lies in its never ending storm of flowy hair.
Lena
Something is incredibly profound and captivating about this series. The fact that it follows its own rules is definitely something to admire. I can only imagine what I've yet to read, but I'm sure to find out soon, because the story is addictive. It's a different kinda manga, in a world full of contrived ones.
Lissibith
Oh Angel Sanctuary. Hahaha.

I first read this series back when it was first coming out some ten yearsish ago. And while it definitely informed some of my "live and let live" attitude about people's personal choices, I also remembered it being kind of batshit.

I remembered right.

Even just trying to sum up the action of this first volume is difficult. Setsuna and Sara are siblings with a horrible secret - they're in love with one another. In an attempt to keep them from being all incestuous, their
Mizuki
ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SERIES! Even though I don't think the first volume is all that awesome, still Miss Kaori Yuki, whom I worship night and day, quickly improved a great deal in the later volumes!
Nicole
I found the story very confusing, the swirl of bizarre characters dizzying, and the artwork flat. It may progress into something "more," but for me there was absolutely no pull to continue on with this series.
Alyssa Archambo
Killer computer games, reincarnation, fallen angels, demons, weird romance -- this book has it all! Seriously, I don't think that it can get any cooler. Sometimes, when a bunch of really cool elements are thrown together in one book it can be disastrous, but Yuki pulls it off and has created an incredibly exciting, suspenseful series. Plus, the artwork is beautiful. I don't think I've ever read a manga with such gorgeous drawings.

As for the characters, I fell in love with Setsuna immediately, an
TK
Angel Sanctuary vol. 1 was first published in Japan in 1995. The English translation was first published in 2004. This is significant because the storyline of this volume revolves around a ‘floppy disk’ which is linked to many unusual deaths.

This first volume is one giant set up, leaving the reader with a million and one questions and no answers. The heart of the story revolves around Setsuna Mudo, a high school student who seems to be a bit of a delinquent. Since his grandfather is English, he
Nina at Death Books and Tea
First time read: Did not understand. At all. But loved the art. 2 stars
Second time read: Understood plot. Still loved art. But don't get why the characters have to look so similar.

Full review
Setsuna doesn’t know it, but he’s actually the reincarnation of the angel Alexiel, who has been sentenced to reincarnation into the mortal world until she has paid for her sins. So then two demons turn up praising him as Alexiel, and he obviously doesn’t know what’s going on. On a side note, Ruri, after bein
Valentina Bellettini
“Angel Sanctuary” è la storia di Setsuna Mudo, sedicenne che soffre di un amore impossibile, quello per la sorella Sara. “Angel Sanctuary” è la storia di Alexiel, un’angelo femminile che un tempo si ribellò a Dio, e che per questo fu condannata a un ciclo di vite sulla Terra, tutte segnate da un amore tormentato e una tragica fine. Setsuna è l’ultima reincarnazione di Alexiel. Il giovane lo scopre quando due demoni, Cry e Arakune, giungono sulla Terra con l’intento di risvegliare il suo vero io; ...more
Nameh dah
Aún no puedo creer que haya vuelto a tocar este manga, luego de no recuerdo cuántos años han pasado ya. Decidí comprarlo porque en realidad es muy grande, y sentí que necesitaba releerlo ahora con un buen par de años más encima. Las lectura siempre son distintas, así que me tiré a la piscina sin dudarlo.

Angel Sanctuary es una obra que ya tiene 20 años encima, cuando Kaori Yuki tenía 34 años. Jugaré entonces a ver esos datillos de ahora en más. Creo que encontraré sorpresas.
Giulia
Ammetto, senza alcuna esitazione, che "Angel Sanctuary" è probabilmente una delle saghe manga più belle che io abbia mai letto.
Inizialmente, fui particolarmente attratta dai disegni: il tratto della Yuki è spettacolare; i personaggi sono resi benissimo, così come gli sfondi, ogni particolare e gli scenari del Paradiso e dell'Inferno.
Vi è un cospicuo numero di personaggi, tutti con un'introspezione impeccabile - l'autrice non si dimentica proprio di nessuno.
Consiglio questa saga a tutti coloro ch
Michael Schmid
Die Geschichte um die verbotene Liebe zwischen Setsuna und Sara nimmt hiermit ihren Anfang und niemand anderes als der anorganische Engel Rosiel ist es, der diese Zwei trennen will. Ein für mich sehr gelungener Anfang und auch wenn die Geschichte am Anfang etwas wirr und unverständlich wirkt, kommt man irgendwann schon rein und dann liebt man diesen Manga einfach. Kaori Yuki hat sowieso einen sehr eigenen, detailreichen Zeichenstil, den ich einfach nur beneidenswert finde. Dies gepaart mit einen ...more
Thetravelingpanda
I am a big fan of Kaori Yuki however this manga was overall disappointing. I didn't like the characters especially the two siblings they seemed dull and uninteresting. The plot as itself could have interested me but I don't really like previous life themes especially for angels and demons, it's a bit redundant.
Sawler
Mar 31, 2011 Sawler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers with a penchant for messy tragedy
I've bought the whole series and loved it! I just love how twisted, compelling, sublime and crazy this manga was with the combination of the darkly seductive antagonists and pure yet tainted protagonists . Kaori Yuki displayed human flaws at its most finest and I find it ironic that she used angels, the all around perfect creation of God. I was quite critical about this series at first because it revolved around incest but surprisingly Kaori-san portrayed this forbidden relationship between Sets ...more
Maria Belen
Uno de los pocos mangas que tuve la suerte de adquirir durante mi etapa de universitaria cuando aun existía Mundo Vid en México. Si bien Angel Sanctuary tiene un comienzo bastante flojo y los personajes son algo planos, no debemos olvidar que estamos ante el principio de una historia muy buena y por demás polémica, el dibujo es algo burdo y ochentero pero no carente de encanto.

Rating 3.6
Khansa
Holy Shit. This book is beyond amazing. I love everything about this series, the theme, the character, and the amazing back story. This was really good, and I think it's one of Kaori Yuki's masterpiece like, ever.
  • X/1999, Volume 01: Prelude
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 1
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1
  • Ceres, Celestial Legend: Maiden (Ceres, Celestial Legend #11)
  • Gravitation, Volume 01
  • Cantarella Vol. 1
  • Please Save My Earth, Volume 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 07 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #7)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 4 (Paradise Kiss, #4)
Kaori Yuki (see also 由貴 香織里) is a female Japanese manga artist best known for her gothic manga such as Earl Cain, its sequel Godchild, and Angel Sanctuary. Yuki debuted in 1987 with Natsufuku no Erii (夏服のエリー) which ran in the manga anthology Bessatsu Hana to Yume published by Hakusensha.

Her work is typically serialized in one of Hakusensha's two shōjo manga anthologies, Bessatsu Hana to Yume and
More about Kaori Yuki...

Angel Sanctuary (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 2