Start by marking “Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership” as Want to Read:
Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership

Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
An inspiring parable on the greatest leadership lesson of all—that the best leaders go beyond the tenets of the Golden Rule and help others to be better than they are themselves

Too many people assume that the timeless principles of genuine leadership—of helping others achieve their full potential—don’t apply Monday through Friday during work hours or in any circumstance wh
Published March 3rd 2009 by Crown Business (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Greater Than Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greater Than Yourself

Donna
I can sum up the bulk of this review with a single question. Have you ever asked someone you didn't know well, how their day was and before a respectable pause could occur after the last word came from your mouth, they were babbling-on, giving you a blow by blow account of their day, down to the snacks they extracted from the vending machines? That is how this felt.

It was also similar to taking a young child to the park and they kept yelling, "Watch this," and "Look at me." Reading this book al
Mary Lou
Sep 11, 2013 Mary Lou rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-cynthia
I've read few books written in the story format about self-improvement. This is another one. The story is light and interesting and predictable. But the concept is a little different in that it assumes you already have many gifts and talents, and you are going to go find a subject to share them with. You are going to help someone else be "greater than yourself."

As I was reading, I realized that I was almost reading a story about my husband, who has been a top-notch manager in a difficult field.
Eve
Jun 28, 2014 Eve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I very much enjoy business novels because stories are often the best way to convey wisdom, knowledge, and ideas.

Although I very much liked the philosophy outlined in this book, the characters charged with instructing our doubting every-man Steve, are smug and annoying know-it-alls who love a good reveal.

However if you can get passed the trees to look at the forest, the tenets espoused are good ones built on the steps: 1) Expand yourself 2)Give yourself and 3)Replicate yourself. The ide
Stephen
Jul 30, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Jesse
Jun 25, 2013 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I marked this a nonfiction, though the story itself is actually a work of fiction. And I think that is why I gave it four stars. This is the first book I've read by Farber, and I really enjoyed his style. I found the concepts that he presented in "Greater Than Yourself" to be intriguing and inspiring. I agree with Farber that most humans have a feeling, deep down, to want to help others become more. I was quickly sucked into the idea, and started thinking about who I could work with.

The story is
Cynthia Egbert
Feb 12, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-purchase
I realize that some people do not care for books that are "non-fiction" that are written in a parable form, but I really love that approach. That is what Mr. Farber does here and the concept that he is promoting is very much changing my life. Because of who I am and what I believe, I quickly moved from this volume to scripture and other inspirational books in my library and made some beautiful connections. I cannot recommend this highly enough and would love to have a discussion with anyone who ...more
Tim Plett
Apr 10, 2014 Tim Plett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, leadership
I found this book to be genuinely challenging. So who is my GYT challenge?
Jodi
Sep 30, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fine, simple idea. I don't know that it required an entire book to get the point across, but it was a quick, inspirational read.
Lou Caniglia
Jan 17, 2014 Lou Caniglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leader
This is an awesome and quick read. I recommend it to anyone who leads or manages people.
Amy Bell
Jul 19, 2011 Amy Bell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2011
I had to read this for my mentoring program at work. It has some good points about elevating people above yourself with the talents you have. It was wrapped in what seemed to be a fictional narrative. I did like the epilogue where it talked about actually implementing the model.
Dayla
Mar 03, 2013 Dayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I loved this book, and the entire challenge that the author pursued. Steve Farber's novel idea that in leadership, it is important to 1) expand oneself; 2) give oneself; and 3)replicate oneself. Good book for any Leadership group. Thank you E D for providing us this book.
Janine McBee
Jan 28, 2012 Janine McBee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reminder about what is important in life. Like the reminder/challenge to not only invest in others, but to challenges others to invest in themselves, as well as investing in your personal/professional development.
Matt Beckwith
Dec 17, 2010 Matt Beckwith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of parable books. This one, however, I enjoyed. I met Mr. Farber last year and his passion drew me to this book.
Jamie
Jun 30, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book about authentic leadership and what it means to grow yourself so that you have more to teach to others...good message.
Carla
Apr 29, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired me beyond belief. Wouldn't the world be greater if everyone sought to make others "greater then themselves?"
Sep 11, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick Read which gave me some interesting insights into motherhood, even though this is a "business" book.
David
Jun 25, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a short and interestingly written book on leadership, don't expect too much depth.
Robertjaynes
Apr 04, 2012 Robertjaynes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't like business parables. Just be a mentor.
Angela
Apr 29, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading for our manager book club at work.
Runa Magnus
Feb 18, 2010 Runa Magnus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!!
Andrew Lavery
Andrew Lavery marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Kari Hawkey
Kari Hawkey is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Maureen Vedder
Maureen Vedder rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Anthony Mast
Anthony Mast marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Chris Miller
Chris Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Kaung Htet
Kaung Htet marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Cathy McCafferty Smith
Cathy McCafferty Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mike Moses
Mike Moses marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Daniel Fevrin
Daniel Fevrin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
  • Be All You Can Be
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • The Time Trap
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • True Professionalism: The Courage to Care About Your People, Your Clients, and Your Career
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky's Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy
  • The Mom & Pop Store: True Stories from the Heart of America