Start by marking “The Universal Traveler: A Soft-Systems Guide to: Creativity, Problem-Solving, and the Process of Reaching Goals” as Want to Read:

This unique book will open your eyes to effective and stimulating formulas for solving problems. Discover how techniques developed in specialized disciplines can be applied to almost any business, social, or personal situation.

Published August 1st 1974 by W. Kaufmann (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Universal Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Universal Traveler

Joe Hinds
I found UT at a used book store in Stockbridge, MA in 2005. I bought it because of the quirky art and layout. I appreciate the book for the process it gives for creative problem-solving and design. I have the 1973 edition and understand there are later editions, but there is a unique charm to 73, take a look at it if you can.
James Eckman
The 60's contents and graphics may be distracting for younger readers.
Rebecca
Oct 05, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd book. It is laid out in space race format, with steps and lists of "how-to" suggestions. Not quite sure what to make of it, as it wasn't a smooth read.
irfan
Jul 29, 2011 irfan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Given that this is rather an old book, it is surprising how some of the ideas mentioned in it are still relevant up to this very day. I guess it must have been one of the more innovative books of its time, minus the snazzy graphics and colourful images that seems to be the order of the day nowadays. Nonetheless, the book could do with a little bit more updates in certain aspects especially in detailing some techniques and ideas to its readers. But of course it doesn't help that a visual person l ...more
Kathryn
May 05, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Universal Traveler is an excellent reference for all creative and/or problem-solving ventures. It dispels the myth that creativity is a gift only to some at birth and convincingly outlines how it is, instead, a learnable behavior, able to become a lifelong habit. Koberg and Bagnall take the reader on a 'journey' through the seven steps of the design/problem-solving process in short and sweet sketches, aptly anticipating some of the complications and unforeseen detours inherent in the design ...more
Patrick O'Connell
Nov 24, 2007 Patrick O'Connell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "self-help" book with it's very funky style and crazy organization is not for everyone.

It is a book chocked full of ideas for stimulating and possibly understanding the creative process.

But unlike other "self-help" books which are little more than "what worked for me will work for you too", this book takes a "shotgun" approach. Throwing everything out there and letting you pick and choose what may, or may not, work for you.

This book helped me understand how I personally solve problems and
Mallory Perkins
Feb 20, 2009 Mallory Perkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to get you thinking creatively. It gives you lots of different ideas --- Freedom from pride, belief in yourself and renewing the child in you.

It's written in such a unique way that it keeps you interested. I took lots of notes - especially of the creativity games they suggest at the end.
Katherine
Jul 18, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
Not what I expected, but I loved this quick read through the design process. It is one of the few books that I actually wished I owned a copy to take down from the shelf when I need a little push or inspiration. I can see the threads that inspired and informed the work of David Kelly and others.
Richard
Dec 27, 2011 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very good read about different methods of accomplishing tasks. Like a toolkit in book form. Some of the techniques are well worn and very familiar to most people but there is a lot of good new ideas too. One of those books that you'll probably keep coming back to.
Matthew Thompson
good kick-starter guide to creative problem solving. be sure to get the "updated classic" edition for super groovy layout and more relevant references/footnotes.
Mary Louise
No question why this remains the top pick for organizations like IDEO. Full of ideas about how to brainstorm and stoke the creative fires.
Lindsey Teague
Oct 29, 2012 Lindsey Teague rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It deals with creative problem solving and outside the box thinking. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to think creatively!
Jono
Jan 26, 2010 Jono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard this is a popular book among those at IDEO so I thought I'd pick it up.

Pretty interesting stuff, and some cool old graphic design
Marty Siegel
Marty Siegel rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2009
Guilherme V Garcia
Guilherme V Garcia rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
M K
M K rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Mattia
Mattia rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Evan Goodwin
Evan Goodwin rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Belly Lawira
Belly Lawira rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Zachary Welch
Zachary Welch rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
Gab
Gab rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Rob Levit
Rob Levit rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
michel
Aug 28, 2008 michel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful.
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Bruce Campbell
Bruce Campbell rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Jacquesmorris
Jacquesmorris rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People
  • Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas
  • The Act of Creation
  • Rapid Viz : A New Method for the Rapid Visualization of Ideas
  • See What I Mean: How to Use Comics to Communicate Ideas
  • Massive Change
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment (Voices That Matter)
  • The Beautiful Boy
  • Designing for People
  • Why Not?: How to Use Everyday Ingenuity to Solve Problems Big And Small
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • The Nature And Art Of Workmanship (Design Handbooks)
  • Hoyle's Rules of Games
  • Forgiveness And Other Acts Of Love
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Uncommon Genius
  • Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »