Start by marking “Lafcadio Hearn's Japanese Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Lafcadio Hearn's Japan...

Sean Michael Wilson

Lafcadio Hearn's Japanese Ghost Stories

This unique manga mixes illustrated versions of classic Japanese ghosts stories with a biography of Lafcadio Hearn, the man who first collected them together in Meiji era Japan. Hearn lived in Japan from 1890 to his death in 1904 ? in that time he collected together Japanese ghosts, myths and folk stories. Including the story of a man who?s ears were pulled off by a ghost, ...more
Perfect Paperback, 156 pages
Published May 31st 2007 by Demented Dragon

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Beautiful art with eerie storytelling. I wish this was a series. I would so keep reading these. I still intend to read the original stories, but this was great as a visual format to some great classic horror I hadn't yet got around to reading except for one very scary story by Hearn I read in an anthology. If you like Japanese horror movies, check out the source material.
Alicia Riley
Jun 06, 2017 Alicia Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Faceless Ghost is good starting point for those want to read Japanese ghost story. The book includes well know Snow Woman. The drawing is simple and there is some violence in the book to.
Sesana
Sep 22, 2015 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore, comics
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

It would be a mistake to go into this expecting spooky ghost stories. That really isn't the intention, though some of these stories are eerie. Luckily, I had already read Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things, the source for most of these stories, so I knew what to expect. And I really liked Kwaidan, so I was happy at how much of the original phrasing was preserved. The art is very good, and it suits the stories nicely. Really good as a folklore sour
Estanteriadecho
El fantasma sin rostro y otras historias de terror es un manga con leyendas inquietantes dignas del folclore oriental que nos ofrece moralejas al más puro estilo de los cuentos clásicos pero con un toque más oscuro. Un manga para los adeptos del terror y el maravilloso trabajo de Lafcadio Hearn

Reseña: http://laestanteriadecho.blogspot.com...
Charles
Aug 26, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
ARC for Netgalley

This certainly proves to be an intriguing and charming tale. Saying that a book of the macabre is charming might seem a bit odd, but the visual styling is simply amazing. For me, this work combines both my personal and professional interests. I work for a Japanese foreign mission and over the last few years have become quite passionate about graphic novels. For almost a decade, I’ve also been intrigued by stories of Yokai and Kaidan which I first learned about while teaching in
Nicola Mansfield

I'm not a big fan of Lafcadio Hearn, a Victorian Gothic writer who translated Japanese tales of the macabre at the turn of the 20th century. I always doubt whether Hearn was true to his sources as his tales of demons, spirits and yokai are so much more gentle than folktales I've become familiarized with through massive amounts of manga. However, these are slightly strange tales, a little odd, hardly macabre, but pleasant enough reading for a slight shiver. The art is much more satisfying and wel
Kim
Macabre tales from Japan. Nicely illustrated.
Stephanie
Feb 13, 2017 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic novels, reluctant readers, Japanese folklore
Lafcadio Hearn’s The Faceless Ghost and other macabre is a collection of dark Japanese folktales that were translated by Lafcadio Hearn over 100 years ago. The tales include: Diplomacy, about a clever executioner and a vengeful spirit; The Snow Woman, about an icy demon; Of a Mirror and a Bell, about the repercussions of taking short cuts; Hoichi the Earless, about the consequences of not doing a good job, The Faceless Ghost, a classic ghost tale and; The
Sharon Tyler
Mar 16, 2016 Sharon Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lafcadio Hearn's The Faceless Ghost and Other Macabre Tales from Japan is a collection of six of traditional Japanese ghost stories told in graphic novel format by Sean Michael Wilson. All of them are very well known in Japan, where ghosts and demons are often called yokai, meaning "the mysterious and weird." Today these stories find expression mostly in movies and manga, but they remain rooted in the traditional ghost stories of the Edo era known as kaidan, which means "recited narrative of st ...more
Emily Bertholf
Feb 18, 2017 Emily Bertholf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful collection of six mysterious folk tales from Japan. The text and artwork complimented each other very well. I agree that if this were a series I would read more, and I will definitely try to check out more of the novels that Wilson and Morikawa have worked on together.
Harris
Jan 10, 2016 Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean Michael Wilson and illustrator Michiru Morikawa’s adaptation of nineteenth/early twentieth century western student of Japanese culture, Lafcadio Hearn, was a very interesting visual interpretation of the haunting folk stories and legends collected by Hearn. While not quite a “young adult” book, Lafcadio Hearn’s folklore and ghost stories gleaned from his travels across Japan are definitely appropriate for teens, and this comic makes good use of that. While a bit gruesome (with a few severed ...more
Sasha Boersma
As a fan of stories of the yokai, I thought it might be fun to explore some of Hearn's stories. This title was a new edition to my public library, so I started here. It's super simplified. The stories are not as deep as I had hoped. My library listed it as a title for teens, which I only discovered after - but I think the gaps in the stories won't hold them for long.

Tough genre though - taking historic ghost tales from Japanese folktales, documented into English, then presented in an Americanize
Sam
As mentioned in the author's note, these stories were long ago collected by the writer Lafcadio Hearn, who lived in Japan in the late 19th Century. Filled with ghosts and other frightening apparitions, these tales are quite dark and unsettling (except for "The Gratitude of the Samebito", which was sweet). The illustrations are haunting and done in the manga style with a bit of Western style thrown in. Very good for those who like macabre Japan.
Jason
At first I was put off by what seemed to be too much narration vs. dialogue, but then I read at the end that the editor tried to preserve Hearn's own words as much as possible. There are some wonderful stories in here and Wilson has done a nice job arranging them so that they flow together nicely with one another, ending on a high note. The artwork is quite lovely, enough that the black & white illustrations suit the text just fine.
Senator
I love old ghost tales, and I have a particular love for Japanese ones so when I saw this graphic novel, I knew I had to check it out. Sadly, while the graphics do add a spooky element, the dialogue is something to be desired. Wavering between cautionary tales one would tell children and sometimes gory graphics, "The Faceless Ghost" lands in a precarious reading spot. Take a peek and see if it's for you!
Anne
Nov 02, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This collection is the perfect read for anyone interested in folklore, ghost stories, or Japan (or all of the above)! I finished each story wanting more details and more information, but the mystery is part of what makes them so fascinating. Not knowing the answers keeps the reader thinking about these stories long after the book is closed. The artwork is great too. The cover is gorgeous and part of me wished the entire thing had been in color. Overall, a quick and intriguing read.
Maggie Gordon
Short and competent collection of macabre Japanese folklore collected by an Irish man. It's a bit hard to judge how true to form these are given the fact that they are stories collected by a person from not the originating culture, but there's some popular tales in this collection, so it is a good book to introduce people to traditional Japanese horror stories.
Morgan
Mar 10, 2016 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories were cute, some were weird, some were mildly spooky, and some were seemingly unfinished. Either way, I rather enjoyed the folklore and I had actually heard the story of the snow woman before. I wish there had been more stories. The art was engaging and well done. If you like folklore this is a perfect book for you.
Michael Lionhart
Clunky translation and severe editing hampers this comic telling of Japanese ghost stories but the paneling and artwork is serviceable. Although a small handful of the panels add to their respective stories, reading the original text would probably give a more accurate version of these tales.
Dec 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, ggn16
The artwork resembles classic Japanese art style, quite fitting for these stories. They very well paced, with just the right amount of story being told with pictures and words. Faceless Ghost and Hoichi were esp. well done.
John Shaw
Jan 11, 2016 John Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with terrifying tales of Japanese spirits
like all horror stories
this book gives great insight into the psyche of the culture
that spawned them
These tales are of course deeply
Japanese and reflect an aspect of
the soul of that culture
Rin
Mar 16, 2016 Rin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just a manga-style retelling of some stories collected by Lafcadio Hearn. Not really anything I hadn't seen before. Might be interesting for anyone who doesn't really know all that much about Japanese folktales, but there's little new info here.
Stacey Marie
Although the stories have supernatural elements, they are not very macabre and many of the endings are uneventful. There are a few good stories, the art is a bit generic although there are a few impressive panels.
Tina
Feb 25, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I managed to snag a free copy from one of the VA Guests, and I really dig it. TI know most of the stories [who doesn't], and Wilson’s adaption of them is very easy to read, and Miyabi’s artwork was very done; it blended with the plot styling and just made for a keeper.
Asa Wilder
good stories, but i just can't get past when illustration looks all computery like this. I'm pretty sure one guy's coat texture was just that standard brick pattern-fill from microsoft paint?

just watch the movie kwaidan instead.
Rod Brown
This is a straightforward graphic adaptation of prose stories compiled from oral folklore. It reminded me a lot of the old "Classics Illustrated" comic book adaptations: skilled craftsmanship is evident, but it doesn't really excite so much as make you feel like you read a pretty good book report.
sanaz
Aug 19, 2016 sanaz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Briefly, I liked the art better than the way the stories were narrated.
Aria
Aug 27, 2015 Aria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting though too short for me!
Kate McCartney
I expected these to be scary ghost tales. That said, I do enjoy hearing tales both spooky and not from around the world.
Tatiana
Oct 18, 2016 Tatiana rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
3,5

It wasn't as eerie as I thought I'd be. It has a simple writing more to practise the language.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sean Michael Wilson is a comic book writer from Scotland, who now lives in Japan. He has had more than a dozen books published with a variety of US, UK and Japanese publishers. Although also writing 'western' style graphic novels, such as adaptations of classical novels, he often works with Japanese and Chinese artists on manga style books. He is currently writing books for big Japanese publisher ...more
More about Sean Michael Wilson...