Start by marking “Promises (Coda Books, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises (Coda Books, #1)

Promises (Coda Books #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  6,977 ratings  ·  669 reviews
Jared Thomas has lived his whole life in the small mountain town of Coda, Colorado. He can't imagine living anywhere else. Unfortunately, the only other gay man in town is twice his age and used to be his teacher, so Jared is resigned to spending his life alone. Until Matt Richards walks into his life, that is. Matt has just been hired by the Coda Police Department, and he ...more
Published January 8th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
4th out of 2,248 books — 2,308 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
5th out of 1,805 books — 2,293 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Who stayed up until 3 am to finish this story last night??

----->ME<------

Who has regrets?

::crickets::

Not me, because this book rocked the F-ing house!!!!

Why haven't I read this book before now? WHY?! Why haven't I read Marie Sexton before now?! Why?! I think Mama just found a new crack because this book made me want to one-click the entire Promises series at 3:30 am.

The characters? Amazing. The chemistry? Amazing. The whole book? Amazing.

These are the types of contemporary romances that I
julio
loathed.

loathed it.

my copy is highlighted-to-shit-and-back with all the horrendous things this book is trying to say.

i'm livid.

book: j'deteste.

j'defuckingteste!

why?

i'll tell you.

because you, book, do not speak truth.

you take bits and bobs of shit you've seen on the internet and turn it into an embarrassing hash of pseudo-psychological justification for absolute dafuqery.

the ideas you promote, little booky-wook, are toxic and offensive.

because you demonstrate a profound disrespect for the nature
Lola
description

This was a quite beautiful and addictive story.

Jared is in his early thirties and living peacefully in Coda where he grew up and where his family has always been. Except, he’s lonely and the only person with whom he shares his bed is a rich and mostly unavailable man traveling from here to there on and on. I was so glad to see Cole in this book. I know I may have been cheating a little because I’ve actually read Strawberries for Dessert (fantastic story) before picking Promises up, but it felt g
Abbie
4.25 “I just want to touch you a little more.” stars.
Jensen Ackles
“I wish I could stop thinking about you. I wish I didn't miss you so much.”

Jared was born and raised in Coda, only leaving to go to college. His whole family lives in Coda, his mum, brother and his sister in law. He was always more attracted to guys than girls, and over time, he realised that he was gay. While at college he got a degree in teaching. But instead of becoming a teacher, he opted out and works at his family's automobile shop. And
♡Karlyn P♡
Wow, this one did NOT disappoint! I read very few m/m romances, but compared to the many m/f ones I’ve read, this was a WINNER.

Promises is told through Jared’s point of view as he meets and falls in love with Matt, a person he believes will never be more than just his great friend. We get a wonderful glimpse into the lives of two people who must come to terms with their own identities, desires and expectations before they can truly love and be happy. This story really grabbed me and I hated to
Vilda
Rating: 4,5 stars

"And in that moment, something passed between us. We didn't speak, but I knew we both felt it. It wasn't anything as trite or romantic as finding one's soul mate. It was simply a silent recognition that we truly were kindred spirits. That we had both been alone for a long time and maybe we didn't need to be anymore.

I don't know how long I'd been wanting to read this one after hearing so many fantastic things about it, but for some reason it just kept falling down the pile. So w
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

♥♥♥ 4 "I PROMISE" STARS ♥♥♥

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Finally, she took a deep breath and said, “Jared, let me say two things, and then I’ll never mention this ugly incident again.”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No, you don’t. The first is this: you can’t control what others think. The only thing you can control is yourself. Some people will look down on you for your choices in life, no matter what they are. You can’t do anything about that. The only thing you can do is decide how to live your own life. And t
Mo
I dip into M/M now and again. Hadn’t read anything by this author before but will definitely be checking out more of her story.

Two great guys, one is gay, the other is not, or so he thinks. Friendship, laughter, tears, family, parents, siblings, small-town living …. It has it all.

And Matt’s Dad… what a fucking asstwat he was

"Because your Dad’s an angry, belligerent, antagonistic asshole."

I often wonder how I would react if my own kids came home and told me they were Gay, I hope I would be accept
Ingela
3 ½ Stars - nice about important topics such as homophobia and to stand up for who you are - then it was two lovely men who fell in love, yummy and cute...

Another nice, romantic novel about two rather ordinary men from Ms Sexton. I like the mood in her books and her style. It's usually pretty close to a everyday life and I feel cozy and good reading about it. As another friend said - when the last page is read, I sit there with a smile and am happy. So it was even this time with this rather shor
Susan

hanging on to that 3 stars by the skin of its teeth...

Promises is fine.
It's a decent-enough read.
Maybe a good M/M cherry-popper for those curious.

I'm not certain I was a big fan, however. It grew on me at times and totally turned me off at times. I feel almost like Sexton treats her readers w/ white gloves and is very careful not to offend. (BTW, would it kill her to use a conjunction? Her writing style is sometimes so choppy)

I liked Jared and the side characters (his family). I even liked Mat
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Great book.......It's a love story about two really lovely, although both lonely men, one openly gay and one who is really not sure about his sexuality........but he's 'Definitely not GAY'??!!

Jared, after gaining his degree in college returns to run the family store with his sister in-law in the small town of Coda. He has learned to live with being ostracized by some of the community for his sexuality.

Then one day in walks Matt, the new Police Officer in Coda.

What is refreshing about this book
Nick Pageant
Love this book. Hot cop meets shy, quiet guy. GFY ensues. Marie Sexton is one of the best.
Buggy
Opening Line: " The whole thing started because of Lizzy's Jeep."

This was a quick, easy and very enjoyable read that I had trouble putting down. I’m a bit of a sucker when it comes to the gay-for-you romances anyway but this one was just perfect.

PROMISES is a slow burning romance but that just made it all the better because we get tons of sexual tension and character development. Watching these guys go from friends to lovers over an extended period of time felt realistic. The love scenes also s
Awilk -never sleeps-
This was a beautiful moving story of two men who were so very lonely, but still trying to live their lives.

Jared was an openly gay man who lived in a small town who had made his peace with the fact that he was likely to stay alone.

Matt was a newcomer to town. He had just moved to start a job with the local police. He was also Jared's ideal man.

They started out as friends and it slowly turned to something much more, which was difficlt for Matt as he saw himself as straight.

The relationship had a
Catherine's Skulls Give Her a Heart Boner
*** 3.5 Stars ***

The first in a series loved by many M/M romance fans, Promises was a story - equal parts sweet and frustrating - about two men who built their romantic relationship on a foundation of friendship.

That aspect, I loved.

In fact, I appreciated that both characters seemed to honestly struggle with their decisions - Matt with coming to terms with who he was, and Jared with being out and proud when he was in a relationship with someone who mattered. And I know it sounds weird to say,
Breann
I love Marie Sexton.
I love Matt’s willingness to be out for Jared.
I love Jared’s commitment to Matt, whatever Matt was ready for.
I love, I love, I love.

Matt & Jared become besties when Matt moves to Coda, Colorado. Matt is straight and a confirmed bachelor. He turns down all of the women that are throwing themselves at the new guy in town. Instead of banging hot chicks, Matt wants to spend his free time with Jared. Matt still has not a clue. They bike together, camp together, watch football
Heidi Cullinan
Ohhhhh, this book. Do you want the short version? Here: go buy it. Go read it.

It's some sort of long-term blue moon, I guess, because here is another first person narrative that I really enjoyed. I loved the characters. I loved the emotions. I loved the SETTING. We took a vacation last year which included Colorado twice, and it was all I could do not to get in the car and rush back there the whole time I was reading.

I think my favorite aspect of this was how flawed both the protagonists were: t
Lenore
Not half bad friends to lovers story. It felt a bit amateurish but the plot panned out all right and the main characters were fairly likable—most of the time at least. As for the secondary characters, Joseph, Matt's father, was overblown in my opinion and Dan, a caricature of a villain.

Other than that, Promises served its purpose as a fluffy, fairly uncomplicated romance. Entertaining.

I've decided to read these in order so, on to A to Z.
Arianna
description

Jared lived in Coda, Colorado all his live. He’s gay and his lonely; he doesn’t have a partner because there’s only one gay man in this small town, who’s thirty years older than him. Everybody in town knows he’s gay, most of them accepting him. He doesn’t trust people not to hurt him, that’s way he doesn’t use his degree in physics to teach. Instead, he works at his family store with his brother and his sister in law.

Matt is new in town. He was just hired by the Coda PD and he’s straight. Jared
Michael
Promises tells the story of two lonely people who have caused their own solitude. It’s not a totally stifling solitude; both the main characters are very active and socially healthy individual. It’s the type of loneliness that happens when people put up barriers in their own lives.

Both characters are in their own sort of closet. Matt is a classic closet case, placed there by pressures from family and society. He’s already been giving serious thought to where he is in his life and when he meets J
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I reread this book today, and it was just as great as I remembered it being!
Two really likable MC's ,nice family ( well except for good old dad) and a quick peek at Cole! :)

Ok, I bought this one as an audiobook too, I still really like the story.
Garrett
Jared and Matt's story was JUST what I needed to read.
It had me feeling giddy, Image and video hosting by TinyPic
and ready to throw my Kindle within just a mere chapter. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I felt this book was super realistic (can it be my life, pleasssse?)

Around 53% I saw potential for the plot to hit a iceberg and tragically sink, I was ready to abandon ship. I am glad I didn't, because this turned into one of the BEST M/M romance HEA's I have read in a while.
Certainly the most memorable.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I really just dislike posting reviews that include a
Jen
Shelley
It was nice.

Probably one of the better gay-for-you tropes out there. When I say better, I mean believable.

The first person POV is adequately insightful.

The relationship is a friends to lovers slow burn with bridges to cross.

And the overall impact is both non offensive and unremarkable.

Not bad at all, but it didn't blow me away ... can you tell?

Gina
May 26, 2013 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m

I loved these two men and I loved the story! Another winning book!!

Jared is an openly gay man and after completely college comes back to help run the family business in the small town of Coda. Coda is a place with very few people, so Jared has accepted the fact that he will spend his life alone. In walks Matt into his shop , the new police officer in Coda. He is attractive, friendly and straight (or so he says of course). Jared is attracted to him immediately, but what Jared also wants is a frie
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***
**4.25 stars**

I've been on a lucky streak lately, this is another one that just hit the spot.

description

Such an exquisitely sweet book. Matt and Jared's story is perfect for those beginning in the M/M genre. Decent steam. A little angst. Lots of love. Fantastic characters. Great banter.

And there was sweet swoon all over the place.

description

Off to check out more by this author.
Eva
Exquisitely sweet book

"If it hadn’t been for that, I might not have met Matt. And maybe he wouldn’t have felt the need to prove himself. And maybe nobody would have been hurt."

Mountains

Friendship

“You said, ‘let me follow it’, and I asked ‘follow what?’, and you said, ‘the trail’.”

Possibilities

Promises

"I promise..."

Matt & Jared are such great characters, each with their own flaws. Both made mistakes, both made up for them.

An absolutely perfect "friends to lovers" book. A little angst
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
Jan 15, 2013 LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m/m romance, first time m/m, coming out

~~~

3.5 Stars

Romantic - YES

Sweet - YES

Tummy Squeezes - YES

Happily Ever After - YES

THE STORY

"The only thing you can do is decide how to live your own life. And to hell with everybody else"

So then why a 3.5?

My hesitation in giving this a higher rating is that it had predictable devices, BUT then I also found myself being surprised as a twist slowly developed. The story started out really well, has all the elements that make a MM romance enjoyable, but a couple of unnecessary cliche scenes gooped
Candace
Promises is a gorgeous, feel-good romance that makes my heart happy! I haven't devoured a book this fast in a long time. I think it would be a great choice for those looking to try out an m/m story, but are maybe a little nervous about explicit erotic scenes. Think of this as a beautiful, fulfilling adult contemporary love story. Because regardless of gender - it is!

HIGHLY recommend.

(And thanks for the recommendation, Ella!)
Jennifer☠Pher☠
That was probably the best GFY book I have ever read. Such a great story of friendship. I just loved it. I don't know what took me so long to read it. Read.
promises 8 114 Sep 14, 2014 05:57PM
  • Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Hot Head (Head, #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 (A Matter of Time, #1-2)
  • Shades of Gray
  • Caught Running
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Visit M
More about Marie Sexton...
Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1) Between Sinners and Saints A to Z (Coda Books, #2) The Letter Z (Coda Books, #3) Paris A to Z (Coda Books, #5)

“Jared?” His fingers were playing gently in my curls.
“Yes?” I was more than halfway asleep, perfectly warm and content, back in my own bed. With him.
“Say it for me.”
“You’re heavy.”
“No.”
“You’re a manipulative bastard.”
“No.” He was laughing.
“You’re right.”
He gave one hard tug on my hair. “That’s not it either.”
“I love you?”
He sighed contentedly. “That’s the one.”
106 likes
“The number of people who believe a thing has no bearing upon its truth.” 30 likes