29 Jobs and a Million Lies

29 Jobs and a Million Lies

2.58 of 5 stars 2.58  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Dark, twisted, and outrageous, 29 Jobs and a Million Lies is not the story of your all-American girl seeking glory and success, but a glimpse at counterculture's underbelly and attempts to succeed within that world. From demented B-movie, roach-infested film production offices chock full of freakish characters to the Cannes Film Festival; from starting a punk rock record l...more
Published December 30th 2009 by 29 Jobs (first published 2009)

Jeff Szymanski
I read this because the Sony Reader Store offered it for free download. I finished it because it's not a long book and I had the time. I am reviewing it because it seems to me that the author would appreciate it, though I may be completely mistaken about that.

Anyway, as the title suggests, Ms. Topper sketches out roughly 20 years of job hopping. For me, the story started to repeat after job 6 or 7. With the exception of several chapters dealing with her work in the music and gourmet restaurant b...more
Moxie Mezcal
29 Jobs is a memoir of Jenn's experiences as a twenty-something Gen Xer struggling to find meaningful and gainful employment in 1990s America. What makes it special is Jenn's brutal honesty and willingness to analyze her own missteps, turning a simple, personal story into something much more universal and engaging.

Starting off fresh from film school and trying to break into the biz, Jenn detours through a vast array of career paths, including gigs as a chef, office temp, rave promoter, punk scen...more
Cheryl Anne Gardner
I can agree to some extent with the book description: the book is a bit twisted. It certainly has attitude, as it is written in a very confrontational ranty style, but even so, this is still one of those: Been there, done that, Damn the Man, now I am looking back on my Twenties and it sucked totally memoirs. There is nothing wrong with that at all. It’s a snapshot of the youth mindset, a social satire, if you will, but it's not really counter-culture as much as it is just twenty-something angst....more
April
I could sum up this book really easily and save you the time of having to read it: the author took a lot of jobs she thought were stupid, idiotic, boring, easy etc. She also met a lot of stupid, idiotic, dumb, a$$holes, etc along the way.

I have to also say that the author could've benefited from at least one other proofread before putting it out for the public. There weren't TONS of mistakes but enough places where sentences were one word off to make me start to feel annoyed - and glad it was a...more
Taysha
The author is better than pretty much everyone. Every job she takes is pointless, dull, and a complete waste of time. She spends virtually no time at any one job, yet knows more about the way things should work than people much more qualified than she.

The few interesting parts were when she produced a record, and how she got into cooking. Everything else was as much a waste of time as the jobs she took.

Proofreading the book would have been nice. There were glaring grammatical errors, sentence an...more
Jul 25, 2010 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: quit-reading
I'm about halfway through this book and I'm getting bored of Jennifer's complaining and her subliminal boasting about how she's great at so many different things. In reality, she seems like an unmotivated, gen-X slacker.

This book would be more interesting if Jennifer lost the attitude. I suspect the same advice might have also helped her keep a job. ;)

***Had to stop reading this because I lost my iPod.
Daniel
This is a book about taking a lot of mind numbing jobs. It was interesting how she started her own music production company, and how she just decided to become a chef one day, and did, but the rest of the book was just her pointing out how useless most jobs really are. Most of the population could have told her that. Read it if you have nothing else to read.
Rebecca
This was more than like a 2.5, but just not good enough for a 3. At times it was like reading parts of my life and I think she did well to articulate a story, but it just wasn't anything I would recommend, more of a story about nothing, something to fill in the time with.
Kat
I wish I could rate this zero stars. This was a free download and took 3 hours to read. Which is good on both counts, since this story is not worth any greater investment. Ugh. Terrible.
Zoe
It was free, and something to read while I was waiting at an airport, In the end I found the whole thing too ridiculous to believe. I wouldn't recommend it.
Katy Brandes
It was free on Kindle when I got it. That's about the best I can say about it. Unfortunately, very forgettable.
Lenox Parker
this was awesome.

writer is unafraid of being a snotnose, obnoxious, immature, self-centered brat.
Emily
I read this because it was free from Sony EReader. Not too bad, probably wouldn't read it again.
Paul
Pretentious and opinionated.. But that's what you should expect anyway. It's an entertaining read.
Jenn
I'm biased, I wrote the book. It's awesome.
Moriah
Moriah marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Dnagirl
Dnagirl marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2012
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

“Am I doing what I really want to be doing? Absolutely not, yet I haven't ruled out that I'll get back into the mess. But after having my ass kicked day in and day out for ten years, it's about time that I have some life left in me.” 1 likes