Start by marking “Mescalito” as Want to Read:
Mescalito

Mescalito

Suggesting the nascent ideas and energy of his seminal book on the 60s experience, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, "Mescalito" features Duke's first mescaline trip. "We live in a jungle of pending disasters," the author warns. Alone in a hotel room in Los Angeles in February, 1969, Duke sustains a fever-pitched bout of paranoia so dark and depraved, it would make most mort ...more
Published October 18th 2000 by Simon Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mescalito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mescalito

Aeron
May 21, 2017 Aeron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a super quick read comprised of three short stories. My only problem with the book is that I wish they were laid out in the opposite order.
The first story is by far the strongest and had me howling with intense laughter out of sheer familiar nervousness. The next two stories have great poetic glide to them but lack the intensity of the first.
Nan Sutida
loved it

if only all users can write while they're high

"living on pills, phone calls unmade, people unseen, pages unwritten, money unmade, pressure piling up around to make some kind of breakthrough and get moving again. Get the gum off the rails, finish something, croak this awful habit of nothing ever getting to the end of anything."

There were marijuana seeds all over the rug in my room. Reminds me of that time picking the crab lice off, one by one, and hurling them around the room.

Like my bea
Jessica Spydurpoet
This was the first, last, only, and everything in between for me with Hunter S. Thompson. What a wretched nightmare. I'm glad the first thing I decided to read by him was a short one. It's really, really bad when the book is only 20 pages on the Nook and I skip/scan the last 3 pages. It's *that* bad.
There was no art in this. Reads like Thompson got lit up on a random cocktail of pills and recorded the nonsense that came out of his mouth during the high. It's not art. It's a tragedy. Any idiot c
Magdalena
Feb 04, 2011 Magdalena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
It seems some pieces of writing should have been read when one appreciated the words like 'weird' (used a zillion times), drug trips and manifestos like 'why not do everything now?', that is when one was a teenager.
Sharon
Dec 30, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sharon by: Needed a short book to hit 60 reads for 2012!
First time reading Hunter S. Thompson, so maybe that was why it didn't make sense to me all around. Nice fast read, but totally f'd up.
Bryan
Jan 29, 2011 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: own, stories, 2011
'... we live in a jungle of pending disasters, walking constantly across a minefield ... will my plane crash tomorrow? What if I miss it? Will the next one crash?' (Kindle Highlight Loc. 94-95)
Larry Mitchell
Larry Mitchell rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Ken Chang
Ken Chang rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Roo Mcquaid
Roo Mcquaid rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Jimmy Boisclair
Jimmy Boisclair rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Sarah Beth Tripp
Sarah Beth Tripp rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2017
Bjørn Ø.
Bjørn Ø. rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Francine Besa
Francine Besa rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Diego
Diego rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Marshall
Marshall rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Brando
Brando rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Naresh
Naresh rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Logan
Logan rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Diane Delfraisse
Diane Delfraisse rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Pablo Gianella
Pablo Gianella rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Henri
Henri rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Oswaldo Hernández
Oswaldo Hernández rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
May 27, 2013
Alex Roderer
Alex Roderer rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Alex Pierce
Alex Pierce rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Mai
Mai rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dial M for Monkey
  • Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories
  • Hollywood Nocturnes
  • Five Great Novels (The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly)
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • The Wife and Other Stories
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 5
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • Northern Ireland: A Very Short Introduction
  • Osprey Island
  • Everything's Eventual, Part 1
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
  • Men in the Making
  • Calamity and Other Stories
  • Nationalism: A Very Short Introduction
Hunter Stockton Thompson was an American journalist and author, famous for his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become the central figures of their stories. He is also known for his promotion and use of psychedelics and other mind-altering substanc ...more
More about Hunter S. Thompson...