Start by marking “Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  702 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The beloved American Lama, a spiritual leader whose inimitable light and
lively universal teaching style has awakened the spirituality of thousands, now shares an enlightened approach to change and loss, dealing with difficult emotions such as fear, grief, and anger, and the role of crisis in uncovering our authentic selves.
For many people, recent years have been character
Published August 24th 2004 by Broadway Books (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be

Joan Kite
I am actually in the midst of reading this book and will probably clutch it to my chest for some time. At 23, I lost my son, Benjamin. At 25, my lover murdered his wife and through all of that, I lost a great deal - reputation, job, the sense of the world, etc. At 49, just two months ago, I lost my mother and had to let go of any hope of a relationship with my father. One more time, the world is a strange place and the sense of who I am has been shattered. This book is a godsend. Lama Surya Das, ...more
Nikki Magennis
I've been having an odd time reading this. The first chapter started off in fairly standard cliched self helpish, and then suddenly veered into random chanting (a bit startling, considering there was no introduction to or explanation of the particular strain of Buddhism the author follows).

Along the way there have been some fair insights and a few worthwhile quotes and ideas, but I can't get past how American it is. The cultural references, phrasing, the stories. All seem very rooted in a parti
Sara
Lama Surya Das is one of the wisest, most gentle people on this earth, and this book helped me through one of the most difficult periods of my life. Going through the loss of the love of my life not withstanding, this book changed me as a person and changed my outlook on life - even in a time of great pain and suffering. I recommend it to anyone dealing with loss or change, both of which are inevitable in this life. This book will change you, it will speak to you, and it will touch your heart.
April
I never would have read this book if I hadn't joined a book club where it was "assigned." I'm so glad I did. It was excellent. I've always been interested in Buddhism but struggled with the concept of detachment. Lama Surya Das explains Eastern concepts in a way that makes it easy for Westerners to understand. He bridges the gap between two extremely different worldviews, bringing some of the world's oldest wisdom to a new audience.

The Lama's greatest messages on loss are to accept them, grieve
Kara
I was longing to read a book on transformation because of all of the emotional changes I've experienced in the last few years. Within the last year it seems all of the changes somewhat came to a boiling point and bubbled over but just when I thought the waters were calm another surge of change from all directions came flowing through. And yet another and I'm expecting another internal change any minute now. It is all so very exciting. This book served to feed that longing and help me relish in t ...more
Jasmine
I'm apparently too tired not to give a book five stars tonight. No I actually did like all of these books. This book has a new age title, but thankfully the content is far more traditional. There is no karma drive through in das' world. This is a very "religious" book which for me is always slightly of being that I am not a very religious person. I don't believe in Tibetan Buddhism and am drawn to secular Indian and Zen for very specific reasons. But none of that negates the meaning of the Tibet ...more
Nikki
This book is written from a Buddhist perspective mixed with a post-modern and Western understanding. I appreciate that Lama Surya Das integrates philosophies from various religions, mythologies, thinkers and writers (from Thoreau to Jung to Campbell). He acknowledges the complexities of letting go of problems & difficulties (big and small). He also acknowledges there's some experiences you don't get over, and you don't need to... but you can still let go. What's really great about this book ...more
Jennifer Campaniolo
Nothing terribly new here if you've red other Buddhist philosophy books, and Surya Das relies on a few too many cliched phrases, but his message is innocuous, even comforting. Basically we all lose things/people whom we love in this life, so we need to cherish what we have now. Also there are all sorts of love beyond just romantic love--love of nature, animals, children, etc. There are plenty of opportunities to welcome new forms of love into our life.
Leslie
Lama Surya Das does a great job of linking non-attachment to awareness and letting go whenever facing anything difficult in your life. He has a nice balance of both stories from different people's lives as well as general teachings on the topic. I have two other books of his that I haven't either started or finished but this book has really motivated me to dig into them.
Willow
I thought it was a very simple and easy to read book with excellent anecdotes. The subtle incorporation of basic meditation methods were very helpful and relatively easy to comply. For anyone wanting to start practicing meditation, at the same time wanting to understand the "how and why," this book will be a great tool.
Sham
A wise mentor gave me this book... I'm learning! Good read about loss and life.
Craig Williams
I really enjoyed Surya Das' book "Awaken the Buddha Within" and so very much looked forward to reading this. Fortunately, I was not disappointed! Although a short read, Das manages to encapsulate a lot of Buddhist wisdom in ways that are both relatable and easy to grasp. When people ask me what they should read to get into Buddhism, Surya Das books are always at the top of the list for those very reasons. It can be difficult to relate to the life experiences of monks who have only known life in ...more
Jason
I tend to rate books based on the amount of highlighting contained inside after I'm finished, and I've highlighted more in this book that in any other I've read. An excellent interpretation of the Buddhist philosophy from a western standpoint.
Angelique
This book started off a little slow for me. As a friend stated, "it seemed like he was trying to work into the topic." However, as he got going he gave so many great exercises and examples that it made the topic very accessible. I also like how Lama Surya Das puts a western spin on Buddhism, not dumbing it down in any way, but making it more relevant to the daily lives of Americans. He provides a lot of stories and examples that are very easy to relate to. This is definitely one that I'll keep o ...more
Christy Baker
This was a mixed book for me in that I picked it up and put it down several times over the last year. There were sections that felt a bit slower or perhaps they just didn't hit me in the right mood, yet other times i found I deeply resonated with some of the practices Surya Das recommends for cultivation of mind and practice of a Buddhist pathway through mindful attention in daily life. Perhaps the book itself most perfectly represents the on-going nature of precisely the dailiness of practice, ...more
Lesley
Althoough AWAKENING THE BUDDHA WITHIN was this author's bestseller, Surya Das presented me with just what I needed in this book. Wanting to be more than you are requires seeing past your reality. Give yourself a gift and read LETTING GO...to heal, to live fuller and to transform.
Drew Rosman
such a great read. could not put it down!!
Nikki DiVirgilio
I resonated with much of the wisdom in this book. I did not discover anything new, but was reminded of wisdom I often lose sight of. At the end of the book, particularly the final chapter seemed forced and carried a new-agey/positive thinking vibe that I did not appreciate. It felt like he had to satisfy either his insecurity or a publisher to make sure to add a bunch of tips and superficial advice, which did not fit in well with the rest of the book, which seemed more real and substantial.
Michelle
I loved this book enough to read it again, just so I could remember and highlight the points that stuck out to me. It is a book that will apply to anyone and everyone at some point in their lives, and I would consider it a must-read for every individual! It isn't preachy, it doesn't try to convert the reader to Buddhism or sway them to think one particular way. It simply points out the mindset of a Buddhist, and allows the reader to apply these views and values in his or her own life.
John Crites
Excellent Read!
Tina
This was excellent. I plan on reading his other books on Buddhism as well. Over the past two years I went through a rough time, I had a relationship end badly, I lost a very dear friend to cancer and I have been finding peace and strength through Buddhist meditation practices. It has truly helped me work through some of the things that I need to work through and this book was a very helpful read. Highly recommended.
Agnes M
Not quite what I expected. The first half of the book primarily describes types of loss and that everyone has it. The second half was of more value though the only prominent thought I was left with was that the title of the book was somewhat misleading. The book is more about introducing awareness and what mindfulness is which can lead to change though the book falls short of actually addressing change or "letting go."
Nadia
This is maybe the 8th or 9th Buddhist/Self-Help/Grieving/Renewal book that I've read in the past 2 months and I have to say I'm hanging up the hat with this one. I got it now. If you are brand new to the concepts of Buddhism, meditation, or mindfulness this is a good introduction, especially in the context of loss of a loved one, job loss, or loss of a goal or dream.
Dina Kaidir
Sep 26, 2007 Dina Kaidir rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: definitely, yes!
At the time, I read this book the first time, I read with interest about mediation exercises. Although heavily rooted in Buddlisht philosophy, it is universal in application. I love his easy to read, plain language explaining about complex philosophies. He also fills the book with living examples of people making that transformation. I use it like a manual!!!
Jessica
My copy of this book is worn well... I have pages marked, highlighted and tabbed ... I have reached for this book many times after having read it. I recommend it to anyone looking for enlightenment.
Cindy
This book truly changed my life, after a traumatic event it gave me the strength to carry on. I high recommend it to anyone going through a change in their life.
Maughn Gregory
I enjoyed some of his other books, but this one seemed phoned in. Though there were some good insights here and there, much of it read like greeting cards.
Nujoom
This book is as good as "Awakening the Buddha Within: Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World"".. It's about seeking your own path..
Amy
This was a good book. Good introduction to Buddhism,and lessons in change, as well as suffering and how to deal with life's troubles.
Gwen
Oct 13, 2009 Gwen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-etc
One of those books I really want to read but don't know when I can find the time for the deep thinking needed in order to do so.
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Accidental Buddhist
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
Lama Surya Das is one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars, one of the main interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, and a leading spokesperson for the emerging American Buddhism. The Dalai Lama affectionately calls him “The Western Lama.”

Surya has spent forty years studying Zen, vipassana, yoga, and Tibetan Buddhism with the great masters of Asia, including the D
More about Lama Surya Das...
Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now

“With every breath, the old moment is lost; a new moment arrives. We exhale and we let go of the old moment. It is lost to us. In doing so, we let go of the person we used to be. We inhale and breathe in the moment that is becoming. In doing so, we welcome the person we are becoming. We repeat the process. This is meditation. This is renewal. This is life.” 2 likes
“For it is not what happens to us that determines our character, our experience, our karma, and our destiny - but how we relate to what happens.” 1 likes