Start by marking “The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)

The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,005 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The master of military adventure creates the ultimate one-man army....

New York Times bestselling author Dale Brown pits men and technology against impossible odds, in vividly realized stories. Now, in his eleventh novel, he brings aerial combat hero Patrick McLanahan out of retirement and plunges him into the most personal war he's ever fought.

His old enemy Gregory Townsen
Published November 4th 2009 by Bantam (first published May 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Tin Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tin Man

Chad
Apr 16, 2008 Chad rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I didn't like this book. The premise sounded so exciting, and I kept thinking it has to get better when it gets to the action. There were so many instances of Dale Brown using outrageous scenarios that just aren't realistic. The main character is like a wimp that doesn't have any common sense, yet he works with his friend on these outrageous experiements that never really do any good.

At the time of reading the book, I was on a underway on a Navy ship working over 18 hours a day / 7 days a week.
Brian
Neo-Nazi terrorists decide to raise hell in the Valley. A defense consultant decides to go head to head against them, while having a baby with his ex-military wife, inventing impossible weapons and armor, nursing his rookie cop brother back to health! Right on Bro!
This book really has no purpose but to satisfy the author's craving for impossible technology plot devices. The characters are all stupid, annoying, opaque, one dimensional stereotypes. The story is not interesting, and promises nothin
Patti
I bought this for 25 pesos (0.61 dollars), and it didn't even seem worth it.

The protagonists' characters are so inconsistent that by the end of the novel, I felt like I disliked them as much as the antagonists. Patrick McLanahan seemed to have lost all sense of intelligence he gained from the first six books; in Tin Man, he rushes head-on with no sense of rational thought.
Parker Seifert
Like a bad James Patterson novel...obvious, cheesy, and ridiculous at times. There are better options out there, you can skip this one.
Neil Davies
Not the best book I have read
John
I've never read Dale Brown before, but I picked this one up because it looked less imbued with military jargon than the other stuff he's written. Props to him for attempting to expand his story-telling capabilities into something more dramatic, but after reading Tin Man I'm convinced that Brown should stay as far away from dramatic elements as possible and just stick to delivering high-tech gadgetry and giant explosions. Brown is a master at researching his novels, but the guy doesn't have a clu ...more
Henri Moreaux
I last read this book in July 2007 and it got me hooked on to Dale Brown's books, have since read the prior six Patrick McLanahan books and now re-read this one.

Having read books 1-6 in a reasonably short period of time by the time I was wrapping up book 6, Shadows of Steel, the plot line was feeling a little stale in that there they were basically variances of a plan which said was some crisis overseas, something would happen to the guys, then they'd go and launch a secret off-the-books mission
Allie Schembra
I really wanted to like this book, more. But it just jumped around too much.

This book was passed along to my by my grandfather. It's not normally a book I would enjoy reading. In fact, when I first picked it up and started reading it, I was not enjoying it. I kept thinking there was no way I was going to make it through this book. But then it got just a little more interesting.

The book takes place in Sacramento County, so all the locations were familiar to me. That was really the only thing tha
Katherine
This book is like the kind of TV you watch when you're knitting because you don't really need to pay attention.

Simplistic action adventure that doesn't require too much thought.
Dean Deters
Interesting departure for Dale Brown, who normally writes military thrillers involving airplanes. This book is about a guy who uses a new technology which makes a normal fabric virtually indestructible. He makes a suit of it, which he uses to track down the international terrorist who hurt his brother during a daring robbery.

The story was ok, if a bit contrived. There were a few interesting plot twists. I actually had to check what the publication date was when one of the characters had to expla
Victor
The Tin Man is a fast read. Very plot driven and readers that have some understanding of previous books as references to certain experiences are made throughout, will have a more enjoyable time recalling plots from previous Dale Brown novels. However, knowing the intricate details of these books is not required to enjoy the page turner that is The Tin Man. It reminds me a lot of Iron Man with regards to the suit, though obviously that's where the comparisons end. I'd recommend this book for anyo ...more
Charlie Carrick
Great adventure romp - a true page turner.
Cactuskid
Interesting because the layout is mostly in the Sacramento area which was very familiar to me. Very detailed but pretty far fetched. Another Patrick McLanahan novel using technology to make a bodysuit that protects him from bullets etc. He becomes a one-man army fighting a terrorist that takes out a bikers drug ring, then wants to blow up the Folsom Dam, all to cause violence and turmoil to mask his real objective (which I won't reveil here).
Charlie
Best book I've read.
Tim Spindler
I remember picking this up at an airport for about a quid. I needed something to read on my holiday to Greece when I was about 14, having left the latest HP novel at home.

It's a page turner at best and feels like an action movie as you paint out the scenes with your imagination, I enjoyed it but not so much that I would ditch Tolkien and the fantasy that I truly love for war novels and action heroes.

***
Dennis
Brown's books are always fun to read but this one didn't quite hit the same spark with me as the other books I've read. Still, if you are a fan of Dale Brown's work this will still be en enjoyable read.
Anna
an ok book so far - I was expecting a little bit more action/adventure.Maybe that will come later?

No such luck - blew through the last 1/2 of the book - nothing impressive. The premium was good, there was no follow thru on the concept :-(
Shawn Liner
Man invents a battle suit that helps him revenge his brother. I really enjoyed it. I felt a certain justice. The story was well laid out and the overall effect was really fun. Not a classic, but certainly fantastic "movie-book" fun.
Clyn
Different book for this series by Dale Brown. Kind of like Without Remorse in the Tom Clancy series about Jack Ryan. Well developed plot, interesting technology, and just enough vigilantism to keep you happy.
John
Another book passed on from a mate... and another one that I enjoyed. Dale Brown introduces sience fiction with good-old-boy nazis... a bizzare combination, but one that works.
Navajojim
Sort of like robocop, at least there are some similarities. But it was a fun and interesting book to say the least and it wasnt to long.
Kurt
I listened to this book on tape and thought it was a great story but it had too much bad language and was a little slow.
Joe Gaskill
A futuristic tale involving high tech military gear that can be semi believable. (Similar to Iron Man, I guess.)
Ana
I think I enjoyed this story mostly because it took place in CA and the areas mentioned are familiar. Just a fun read.
Cheryl
An "OK" read, but really, I couldn't wait to be done with it. Very RoboCopish.
Charles
A departure from the normal McLanahan Series but still an excellent read
Diane
I liked the characters in this piece. Still, Patrick goes too far sometimes.
Martin Ruff
Well written, Easy to read, Couldn’t put it down. Finished in 1 week.
Brett
Easy paced - no thinking required
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Day of Wrath
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • The Ten Thousand (Scott Dixon, #4)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...
Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1) Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4) Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3) Hammer Heads Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)