Start by marking “Between Friends” as Want to Read:
Between Friends

Between Friends

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  7,389 ratings  ·  407 reviews
Debbie Macomber tells the story of a remarkable friendship--and tells it in a remarkable way. "Between Friends" is a story in which every woman will recognize herself...and her best friend.The friendship between Jillian Lawton and Lesley Adamski begins in the postwar era of the 1950s. As they grow up, their circumstances, their choices--and their mistakes--take them in vir ...more
Published November 17th 2008 by Mira Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Between Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Friends

Bea
Jan 29, 2008 Bea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman who has a best friend
Jaime
Whoever wrote the blurb on the back was right.. I did recognize myself and my best friend in this book. She was the one that married right after high school and started her family soon after. I was the one who went off to college. My friend and I aren’t as close as Lesley and Jillian, but those familiar feelings were still there. I really liked the addition of newspaper clippings and bumper stickers and such to the letters. Macomber did an excellent job conveying the feeling of each year as our ...more
Katherine Coble
I was in the mood for an epistolary novel and this one topped a lot of people's lists. Sadly, while it was ok as far as stories go it was bad as far as epistolary novels go. The story is told via correspondence. Most of the entries were from one of the two main characters but there are occasional letters from secondary characters or the occasional walk in.

And there's the problem. In an epistolary novel each character should have her own voice. That's pretty much the entire point of an epistolar
Jess
First things first - EVERY woman needs to read this book. It's that good. Lesley and Jillian seems so real, their triumphs and tragedies so authentic, their friendship so wonderful, that every woman will be able to relate to this novel. The idea of telling the story through primary-source material was unique and made for a quick read. Despite the lack of narrative, the characters became very real. I loved Nick. I loathed Buck. And through it all, I cheered for Lesley and Jillian. I had to flip b ...more
Beverly
I'm a big fan of Debbie Macomber. But I got out of the habit of reading her books as I got caught up in reviewing books to purchase for the school library. Recently, my book club chose Debbie as an author pick for our February read. We all chose a different book to read. I actually chose God's Guest List (which I will be reviewing later), but Between Friends was one of the many I picked up on a impulse sweep through the library.

This is a quick easy read about a life long friendship. The story is
Teresa
Sep 12, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I rate this book a 10+. The way the author wrote this book was interesting. It's all letters and Journal and DIary enteries. It is really good. It's about a friendship of Jillian Lawton and Lesley Adamski in the postwar era in 1950. As they grow up, their circumstances, their choices-and their mistakes-take them in virutally opposite directions. Lesley gets pregnant and marries young, living a cramped life defined by the demands of small children, not enough money, and unfaithful husband. Jillia ...more
Carolyn
I love books written differently -- one reason I liked the Guernsey book so much. It was in the form of letters between various characters. This one is letters, diary entries, excerpts from newspapers, notes passed in class, etc. and I really like something different in the light books I read.

This was one of the best books I've read in a long time. Usually, as I read a book, the closer to the end I am, the faster I read. Not this one. I didn't want it to end.

The story to two girls/women and thei
Marianne
Between Friends is the 68th stand-alone novel by popular American author, Debbie Macomber. It details the friendship of two women born in the same year in Pine Grove, Washington, over some fifty years. Lesley Adamski and Jillian Lawton have been friends since grade school and continue to support each other as they deal with everything that life dishes out to them, including, but not limited to: births; weddings; loss of parents, siblings children, lovers and spouses, and the attendant funerals; ...more
Glenda L
This was one of the best books that Debbie Macomber has written. I loved the letter format and all the history of our country since 1948. Since I was born in 1942, all this brought back memories and made me think what I was doing in those years. Great book!!!This was an ARC copy.
Loralee
This book follows the lives of Jillian Lawton, the only child of a prominent judge and Leslie Adamski, the oldest daughter in a struggling family that lives "on the wrong side of the tracks." Despite the social and economic differences, they become best friends in first grade.

This book is told in a series of letters, newspaper clippings, diary and journal entries, and eventually e-mails. It shares how each girl's choices as a teenager has an impact on her life. Despite the different choices they
Heidi
This book is a compilation of letters sent mostly between two friends. Jillian and Lesley grew up in the state of Washington. It is also letters that they sent to friends, boyfriends, parents and then children. The chapters are divided up by years, beginning with 1948 through to about 2002. I felt an emotional connection between the women in this book, as I walked with them through the best and worst times in their lives. The only way I can describe it is finding a box of letters in the attic o ...more
Cara Ellis
Love this!

Love the journey through these two woman's lives... Makes me think of my friends that I have had in my life and how I cherish them.
Anne
I liked this book and really enjoyed the way it was written, notes, journals, texts announcements and advertisements - different and really easy to pick up and put down. However, because I was on vacation, I kept reading. The women are portrayed as great friends as they were in this book,
yet have gone on very different paths in life, I get it and love it!
The two main characters have been friends since grade school so the story starts there and just
goes right through their life.
Enjoyable, laught
Nina
Karen Benson
I really enjoyed the format of letters, phone calls, emails, dialog and other epherma. There was a huge range of emotions from happiness and heartbreak, and since it spanned over 50 years, it was a bit nostalgic for me. I really enjoyed the "history" bits as well.

I read a lot of Debbie Macomber, but I think this was my favorite. It would make a good bookclub selection lending itself to a lengthy discussion, especially for groups in their 50's & 60's.
Misty Mayfield
Probably closer to a 2.5. There were moments I liked but it felt like the author had an almanac next to her while she was writing and made sure to include as many historical events as she could. I don't know a single person who writes about presidential elections or floods in the Midwest in their journal the way these 2 characters did. It detracted from the story for me, rather than added to it.
Teresa Grubbs
This book follows two best friends, Jillian and Leslie, from the time they meet in elementary school up until they are women in their 50's who have endured marriage, divorce, miscarriages, births, widowhood, and breast cancer together. You follow their separate lives and their close friendship through correspondence. Great book!
Kate Jesson
I usually really enjoy the light sweetness of Debbie Macomber's books. This one is no different. My only complaint was the way she tried to work current events into the letters. It seemed forced, and some of the dates weren't accurate (She put Haley's comet in 1988 at one point). Other than that, it was a light, quick read.
Melissa
I picked this up at a USO while we were in some airport - it was just sitting there and I decided to give it a home. I'm so glad I did - I LOVED this book. I would have given it 5 stars, but I was really upset by the ending. I think it could have had a little bit of a better close to it.
Ashley
Oh wow, I loved, I mean LOVED this book. It was a history lesson and a lesson on human nature, friendship and love. Great book!
Katie
Debbie Macomber is a great storyteller. Entertaining, easy reads for relaxing.
rivka
Unless you truly hate epistolary novels, if you are a woman who has ever had a best friend and/or someone who lived through at least 20 of the years from 1960 to 2002, you must read this book. With at least a handful of tissues at the ready!
Marcie
I am currently enjoying this book. She's right in her review that it is so much like my own life over the years. I like the way she's written t his one - as letters. Different from her usual style but still an easy, enjoyable read.
Joanne
Sep 07, 2012 Joanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women, baby boomers
Recommended to Joanne by: Katie
I read it in less than 24 hours and it made me cry more than once. It's a walk down memory lane for baby boomers. Best of all, it's about the power of friends.
Barbi
This was a very different style of book for this author and I kept wondering if the next chapter would be more of a normal style of book instead of letters, emails, newspaper articles, etc between the characters. Despite this unique take on things, I quickly fell in love with the characters of Lesley and Jillian. It was interesting to see how the friendship lasted through things like the Vietnam war, riots, the Gulf war, September 11th, divorces, marriages, deaths, births, and cancer. I loved th ...more
Susan McClary
Debbie Mccomber is one of my favorite authors. This book is as wonderful as her other books. It is a must read
Nancy Hubbard
I read this book in less than 12 hours. I truly enjoyed the story of enduring friendships.
Rhonda Smallwood
I have never read a book written in this format before. What a brilliantly creative way to tell a beautiful story about friendship that lasts through the years. It is amazing the historical details that a person can find out reading letters and through the years between people. I loved how you could see the progression of time and technology as the letters eventually changed to emails. The comment where one of the friends told the other they were busy trying to figure out who shot JR was tremend ...more
Patricia
Debbie Macomber has written so many novels, but Between Friends has to be my favorite.

Jillian and Lesley's friendship starts in childhood and continues throughout their lives, through correspondence and diary/journal entries...their ups and downs...their constant support of each other, through it all.

Debbie intermingles current events, over the years, and (for someone born in the fifties) I felt some of my life was in this book. I found it to be thought-provoking, about the choices we make and
Cafe Libri: July: "Between Friends" by Debbie Macomber 30 12 Aug 06, 2012 06:04PM
TOUCHES THE SOUL 4 24 Jul 29, 2012 08:08PM
  • Beach Girls
  • Small Town Girl
  • Home Again

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) Back on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #4)