Start by marking “The Poet: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Poet: A Novel

The Poet: A Novel (Jack McEvoy #1)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  58,088 Ratings  ·  1,788 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly has written one explosive thriller after another featuring Detective Harry Bosch. Now, in an electrifying departure, he presents a novel that breaks all the rules and will keep your heart racing and your mind guessing until the very last page.
Death is reporter Jack McEvoy's beat: his calling, his obsession. But this time,
Published April 29th 2003 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Poet, please sign up.

Trelas Dyson IV I discovered these books in my families garage and simply read whatever my dad said he liked. It just so happened the Poet was his favorite. I do…moreI discovered these books in my families garage and simply read whatever my dad said he liked. It just so happened the Poet was his favorite. I do prefer for you to read the The Poet and then the Narrows but either way, both are good.(less)
Ron Mcnamara "The Narrows" is a follow-up to "The Poet".........I have discovered. I have read "The Poet" 3 times in twenty years and obviously loved it (a pity…more"The Narrows" is a follow-up to "The Poet".........I have discovered. I have read "The Poet" 3 times in twenty years and obviously loved it (a pity about the subject matter).
I haven't read "The Narrows" as yet, but will do so as soon as I get my hands on a copy.(less)

Kemper
Oh, mid-‘90s, how quaint you seem in this book published in ‘96 with your dial-up internet connections, faxes, pagers, landline phones, and new-fangled digital cameras.

Perhaps the thing dating this the most is the idea that The Rocky Mountain News editors’ biggest concern is that they’ll get scooped by another newspaper in the fast paced world of print journalism, and not that their entire industry will collapse and they’ll be out of business by 2009.

Of course, if all their reporters acted lik
Georg
Jul 08, 2009 Georg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, crime
I really liked this book. It has a strong beginning and a lot of credible characters. What I liked most was the fact that it seemed to end on page 450. I thought: Ok, not a bad solution, but a bit obvious. But then I noticed there were still 100 pages to go. Finally I realized the end was not the end, but only a fake end, and then the "real story" was about to begin. Very strong and surprising until the very last page.
Arah-Lynda
Jul 23, 2011 Arah-Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top, 2011, i-said

Wow, from the opening line Death is my beat. to the chilling conclusion, this haunting tale grabs you by the scuff of your neck and never lets go.

Meet Jack McEvoy a reporter who makes his way covering murder stories. Little does he know that the next story he will write involves the death of his own brother, an apparent suicide. Jack has a difficult time accepting that his brother Sean, a homicide detective, would take his own life, further still he does not understand his brother's last words,
James Thane
Measured against the standard set by most crime fiction writers, this is a pretty good book, but based against the standard set by Michael Connelly it's sort of average, somewhere in the middle of the pack of the large number of books he has now produced.

This seems a bit odd, because the protagonist in this book is a newspaper reporter and Connelly was himself a reporter for a good number of years before he became a novelist. One would think that Connelly would have this character nailed. In tr
Mara
Feb 03, 2015 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: Richard
This is less of a review than it is a sort of caveat to my rating—the caveat being that I listened to this book. I don't know if there are multiple audio versions of The Poet out there, or if they just love to re-copyright things every few years, but the 1996 audible edition felt like it undermined the story's natural suspense. Don't get me wrong, Michael Connelly's brand of mystery/thriller writing isn't exactly subtle, but echo-chamber effects made moments of tension feel downright hoke ...more
Scott Rhee
Dec 03, 2013 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Some things are better left unsaid, so the saying goes.

I personally disagree with that sentiment. While very few topics are considered “taboo” anymore, a few cultural taboos still linger; subjects upon which many writers still fear to tread due to its general unpleasantness. Cancer used to be taboo. So did adultery and homosexuality. Taboos succeed in creating an atmosphere in which feelings never get expressed and problems never get solved. Taboos generally make things worse.

Pedophilia is, in s
Richard
Dec 28, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
8/10

Michael Connelly is pretty much my go to guy at the minute for a solid crime thriller. The amount of books this guy has churned out is quite impressive but more so is the fact that there haven’t really been any duds (or none of which I have read to date) and it looks like soon he will be having his own TV series for his most prominent character “Bosch” airing on Amazon (the trailer looks good and I believe the first episode is free to air).

This book is a standalone and introduces new charact
Mike (the Paladin)
I read The Lincoln Lawyer about a week ago and have been on a sort of "Michael Connelly marathon" ever since. I like the writer and I like his books. I think I still like The Micky Haller character best of his creations but this is my favorite book "outside that series" so far.

The Poet is a psychopathic killer who has been killing for a fairly long time. Not sure how long because see, his victims have so far been mistaken for suicides. That is they were until one of them was Jack McEvoy's broth
Jim
Feb 19, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first non Harry Bosch by Connelly & I'm impressed. Jack is a great character & the plot was fantastic, especially twisty. Great characters, very realistic. I loved the way so many cases were handled & how easily other interpretations could come of the results. Good could be bad or maybe not. Connelly really knows how to walk the gray lines & made this quite a unique mystery thriller. I'm definitely looking forward to continuing his books. Next up is Harry Bosch #5, Trunk Music ...more
Jonetta
Jack McEvoy is a newspaper reporter in Denver. When his twin brother, Sean, a homicide detective, is found dead in his car by what's ruled a self-inflicted gunshot, Jack decides he wants to write his story. But, the more he probes, his suspicions grow about it possibly being a murder. As he continues his research, Jack lands himself into an FBI investigation that points to a diabolical serial killer.

While this case is referenced in early Harry Bosch stories, Harry doesn't make an appearance her
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5 very pleased stars of five

Connelly's Harry Bosch series will either make you want to read this book, or run from it. I liked the Harry Bosch mysteries well enough, but I really respond more to Jack McEvoy, Denver journalist and crusader for the rights of victims of crime.

This is the first appearance by McEvoy. He's hot on the trail of a cop-killer, one whose talent for murder makes him able to turn a crime scene into a suicide scene. Jack's brother, a homicide cop, is dead...and natu
Cathy DuPont
“For her passivity in these horizontal moments was diametrically opposed to her demeanor in our vertical moments.” Quote from Jack McEvoy from The Poet.

Sentences like that just capture my heart. It could be easily said to be trite or ordinary, maybe, but sometimes I like ordinary, at times, anyway. And I always, always love Michael Connelly’s writing. He’s the best contemporary writer today, in my opinion.

The Narrows was next on my list, and it was Tay, Anthony or Tiftoboy…one of them suggested
Becky C. Hennessy
Becky
Jan 11, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Terri
It's been a long time since I've read a straight-up police procedural style thriller... and I've missed it. I love the fast paced style, the clues, trying to figure things out along with the characters, seeing inside the system, all of it. I don't know why I don't read more of these, but I think this book has just reminded me how much I enjoy them, and why I should read more of them.

I really, really enjoyed this one. I can't give it a full 5 star rating, because I had just a few issues with it,
Ritwik
Dec 11, 2014 Ritwik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book. I really did. Mr. Connelly is considered as one of the biggest crime fiction writers out there and after a thorough research I decided to start with this one. I still remember the start,'Death is my beat'. It gripped me but the hold loosened up and I decided that maybe crime fiction is not my cup of tea or any kind of thriller for that matter. I took up 'Casino Royale' before finishing this book and Lo! the writing, the prose, the compactness,the solidity was much bet ...more
Gerard Oconnell
Apr 13, 2015 Gerard Oconnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book very much. hard to put down. I will be reading more books from this writer very soon. Thanks to Cameron for picking this book.
Cameron Wiggins
Mar 25, 2012 Cameron Wiggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent novel by Connelly and a welcome departure from his Harry Bosch character. I am a firm believer of not posting spoilers in a review and I will holdfast to this belief for the sake of future readers. However, I am simply amazed at how skillfully Connelly combines detailed characterization with a progressively forwarding plot structure. And, Connelly continues to cover all of the bases.
Jack McEvoy, reporter for the Rocky Mountain News in Denver, is our main protagonist (?) in t
Robin
Nov 28, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
Newspaper Reporter Jack McEvoy is having a hard time coping with the suicide of his twin brother, Detective Sean McEvoy. Sean was found in his police vehicle, dead from a gunshot wound. A short note was scrawled on the windshield. Jack tries to deal with the situations by writing his brother's story. But research into police suicides leads Jack to believe that his brother may have been murdered. Jack begins to see a pattern between a series of homicide detective deaths. They were all working on ...more
Rex Fuller
Nov 30, 2012 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. This may be the best Connelly book of all. It is the best that I have read, even though the beginning (first 10% or so) was slow and repetitive. McEvoy is not as strong of a personality as either Bosch or Haller. But the book overall is stronger than the Bosch and Haller books I've read.
Sue
I received a recommendation from a Goodreads member to read "The Poet" by Michael Connelly. I am so glad I listened to their recommendation.This was an amazing novel...the best I have ever read by this talented author.

Jack McEvoy was a reporter for the Rocky newspaper, who wrote about murder stories."Death was his Beat." Sean,his twin brother,a veteran Denver Police detective was in charge into the slaying of a University student, Theresa Lofton, found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot
Franco  Santos
Sep 04, 2014 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buen libro policíaco. Empieza lento pero con una trama absorbente. Asimismo, me resultó bastante pesado. No se me hizo insoportable, sin embargo la combinación de la lentitud con esa densidad fue decisivo para ponerle 3 estrellas.

No obstante, como ven, la novela tiene mis 4 estrellas. Sinceramente pocos libros de misterio me lograron sorprender. Éste lo hizo. Por eso mismo se lleva las 4. Cuando se creía que ya estaba todo zanjado, Michael Connelly sacó un as bajo su manga que me dejó obnub
Jaksen
Feb 12, 2017 Jaksen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful crime/mystery/suspense/thriller. (I think it belongs in all four categories.)

Jack McEvoy, a Denver-based reporter, sets out to find what happened with his brother, Sean, who apparently has killed himself. This sets Jack on a mission/reporting job which starts in Colorado and takes him to Baltimore, Maryland; Quantico, VA; Hollywood, California and other locations. He's literally here, there and everywhere and running into local authorities, FBI agents and many other characte
Charlene Intriago
Apr 04, 2015 Charlene Intriago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
There have been a lot of reviews of this one, so I'll just say it was my first Michael Connelly book and I was told it was the best. Reporter Jack McEvoy just keeps digging and digging until he puts two and two together because it is a murder too close to home for him. He has a hard sell to the cops but eventually they come on board. Anyone else not see that ending coming??
Terri
Mar 28, 2010 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have three favourite crime thrillers. This is number one. (Jeffery Deaver's The Bone Collector and Coffin Dancer are no 2 & 3)I have read this book a few times and get a buzz out of it every time. It just has something. That something that many authors try to capture but only a few can. It is not a tangible something, it is just a combination of skill, plot and character formation.
I won't tell you what this book is about, because it is the uniqueness of the story unfolding that draws you i
Randy Schultz
Mar 08, 2011 Randy Schultz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In catching up on some Connelly I'd missed, I came across this, what I believe is the first of the McEvoy novels. Mid stream, I turned to my wife and confessed that I was taking it slow because this book, was candy. Connelly is a great writer, a great character sketcher and this book bears testament to that. What it doesn't bear testament to is the sensible finishes that Connelly generally includes. I don't mean that you're left with unfinished business, just that by the time I hit the end of th ...more
❆ Crystal ❆
5 stars. I think this was very well done and I enjoyed every single minute. It sure kept me guessing the whole way through and I was blindsided at the end. A great story.
Ed
May 03, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the hard-nosed, relentless newspaper reporter at the now defunct (sadly) Rocky Mountain News. The pacing was good for a big book with a few nifty twists at the end.
Winter Sophia Rose
Gripping, Captivating, Dark & Gritty! An Excellent Emotional, Page Turner!
Mike
Dec 13, 2011 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michael Connelly himself
I am going to say it: there is no way Michael Connelly wrote this book. This was so irritating of a read i tucked a $5 bill after the final page as an incentive to finish! Had this been my first Connelly it would have most certainly been my last.

I dont know where to start. I am prepared to blame myself for my dislike for this novel. I am not a die-hard Connelly fan but i have read some of the Harry Bosch series, have loved the Mikey Haller series and tried to read something called VOID MOON tha
Michael
Jul 21, 2009 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My love affair with Michael Connelly ends.

The plot leaves so many threads unresolved that it feels like Connelly just cheated. I usually don't notice things like this, so it must be pretty egregious.

Whatever speaks to me about Harry Bosch, Jack McEvoy ain't got it. I think the Bosch books work better because the mysteries are so intertwined with Bosch's experiences. There's an attempt to set up the same situation here with McEvoy's sister, but it fell flat for me.

Finally, the book is about a p
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 8 4 Dec 01, 2016 04:38AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 6 3 Nov 30, 2016 11:56PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 4 3 Nov 30, 2016 02:09PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 9 3 Nov 30, 2016 01:43PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 3 Nov 30, 2016 01:29PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 4 3 Nov 30, 2016 11:30AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 4 3 Nov 30, 2016 11:25AM
  • L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole, #8)
  • The Intruder
  • Latitude Zero
  • Lights Out
  • Furnace
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • Common Carnage
  • Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5)
  • Men in Black
  • Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Jack McEvoy (2 books)
  • The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2)

“In the long run, all wrongs are righted, every minus is equalized with a plus, the columns are totaled and the totals are found correct. But that's in the long run. We must live in the short run and matters are often unjust there. The compensating for us of the universe makes all the accounts come out even, but they grind down the good as well as the wicked in the process.” 23 likes
“It’s lucky no one else knows what our most secret thoughts are. We’d all be seen for the cunning, self-aggrandizing fools we are.” 10 likes