Start by marking “Darkness Calls (The Calling, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Calls (The Calling, #1)

Darkness Calls (The Calling #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Falling Prey to Passion

FBI agent Diana Reyes knew too much about the darkness of the human soul. She had spiraled into that underworld once before--and vowed never to fall again. Until she met him.

Powerful, dangerous and the key to catching a psychotic killer, Ryder Latimer was everything she couldn't have--and everything she wanted. He haunted her nights, shattered her re
Published June 1st 2007 by Silhouette Desire (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Calls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Calls

Starry
Jenese (Readers Confession)
I wanted to really really like this one, but it just wasn't that great to me. I loved that Diana is a Latina heroine, since there are so few, but it wasn't enough. The book was ok, but there were cheesy lines and spanish lines thrown in that doesn't seem realistic. Ryder, to me was lacking. He was dark and mysterious but he wasn't the strong alpha male that I like in a hero. Diana was able to kick his ass on several occasions, which is a turn off to me. Maybe one day I'll try the other books on ...more
Crystal
I bought this because the reviews were decent and it's a complete series. It's a good little read, quick and easy. Has some great h/h scenes and she uses basic vamp lore so nothing new or unique there but it also helps you jump right into the tale without a lot of messy back story.

the mystery part isn't too shabby, only a few places I'd question if law enforcement would really have done a certain thing but I'm not going to go look it up.

Good quick read for a first in the series.
Jessica
this book wasn't bad by any means but I did find it rather boring. the heroine is badass with a past that should give her a vulnerability but instead just makes her prickly. the jero really doesn't have much of a personality beyond his constant struggle with the "animal" inside him. the romance between the two was underdeveloped and felt forced. there was zero chemistry so the sex scenes weren't terribly sexy. the plot wasn't bad but for some reason it just didn't hold my interest. the vampire p ...more
Maria
The first ever Latina Vampire series. Gotta love it.
Tracie Runge
Darkness Calls is Magnificent

I found myself engrossed in Darkness Calls from the very beginning and quickly fell in love with the strength and emotions of the characters and their stories.

Ryder Latimer has chosen to live his life in the shadows. Owner of 'The Lair' a local nightclub Ryder is all too aware of what he is and what he has lost.

FBI Agent Diana Reyes is good at what she does but she has let her personal heartache spiral her out of control before and she is determined to not let it hap
Maria
Although published in 2004, this novel follows more the brooding isolated vampire model of the end of the 20th century. It looks like thre series evolves quickly into somthing else in following books. The female protagonist is very strong and there are clear feminist statements. In that sense, it is very contemporary. The author and the female protagonist are both Latina, and it is well reflected in the novel but without making it the central point.
Esther
Holy vamp hotness Batman! This is my first read by Caridad piñeiro and I have to say, thoroughly enjoyed Diana and Ryder's story. It was a great twist of a love story. Suspense, romance, passion, mystery and promise of more awesome books to come. Look forward to catching up and reading the rest of the series.
Silverana
Many of the vampire characteristics were old, very different from those found in recent vampire books. I was upset at that several times and at the end I wasn't sure what exactly would come of the main characters in the long run, would the female character agree to be changed or just stay with the male character? But overall the book was good.
Michelle Leah Olson
Now I know why these kept getting put back at the top of my TBR list/pile... EXCELLENT!!!!!
I can't wait to continue on with the Calling. :-)
Brenda Edwards
Brenda Edwards is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Cathay Ericson
Cathay Ericson marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Claranne Burgel
Claranne Burgel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
KelticKat
KelticKat marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Megan Jackson
Megan Jackson marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Marisha Reed
Marisha Reed marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Beerchen
Beerchen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Vjohnson
Vjohnson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Bryan Sweat
Bryan Sweat marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
  • Holiday with a Vampire III (Secret Vampire Society #2)
  • Winter Kissed: A Kiss Of Frost / Ice Bound
  • The Vampire Affair
  • Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3)
  • Mistress of the Underground (Secret Vampire Society #4)
  • Unforgiven (Warriors for the Light #1)
  • The Hellhound King (Unbound #5)
  • Guarding His Body
  • Holiday with a Vampire II
  • Savage Redemption (Vampire #5)
  • Awakening the Beast (The Calling, #6.6)
  • Renegade Angel (Hearts of the Fallen 0.4)
  • Resurrection (Scions, #1)
  • Dead Sexy (Harlequin Blaze #358)
  • Son of the Shadows (The Gifted #3)
  • Incubus
  • Taking Cover (Wingmen Warriors, #2) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1187)
  • Dance Of The Wolf (The Pack #8)
NY Times and USA Today Bestseller Caridad Pineiro is a Jersey Girl who just wants to write, travel, and spend more time with family and friends. Caridad is the author of nearly 50 novels/novellas and loves romance novels, super heroes, TV and cooking. Caridad writes dark and sexy romantic suspense and paranormal romances for those who live to love on the edge. Her sweet, but still naughty side, Ch ...more
More about Caridad Piñeiro...

The Calling (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Danger Calls (The Calling, #2)
  • Temptation Calls (The Calling, #3)
  • Death Calls (The Calling #4)
  • Devotion Calls (The Calling #5)
  • Blood Calls (The Calling #6)
  • Fury Calls (The Calling #7)
  • Kissed by a Vampire (The Calling #8)
  • For Love or Vengeance (The Reborn, #1; The Calling, #9)
  • To Love and Serve (The Reborn, #2; The Calling, #10)
  • Born to Love (The Reborn, #3; The Calling, #11)
Sins of the Flesh (Sin Hunters #1) The Lost (Sin Hunters, #3) Stronger than Sin (Sins Hunters, #2) Blood Calls (The Calling #6) The Claimed (Sin Hunters, #4)

“Bullets don't differentiate between good or bad. They are equal opportunity killers.” 4 likes