Start by marking “The Doom That Came To Sarnath” as Want to Read:
The Doom That Came To Sarnath

The Doom That Came To Sarnath

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  27 reviews
H. P. (introduction by Lin Carter) (with Harry Houdini on Pharoahs) Lovecraft.

Contents: Imprisoned with the Pharoahs; The Other Gods; The Tree; The Tomb; Polaris; Beyond the Wall of Sleep; Memory; What the Moon Brings; Nyarlathotep; Ex Oblivione; The Cats of Ulthar; Hypnos; Nathicana; From Beyond; The Festival
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published September 1976 by Ballantine Books (first published June 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Doom That Came To Sarnath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doom That Came To Sarnath

⊱ Irena ⊰
Ten thousand years ago in the land of Mnar there used to be a glorious city of Sarnath. It's gone now.
Before humans came the land of Mnar was the home of lake creatures, the beings of Ib. 'They worshipped a sea-green stone idol chiselled in the likeness of Bokrug, the great water-lizard; before which they danced horribly when the moon was gibbous.' When humans came they killed them all and destroyed their city of Ib. As a proof of their power they took their green idol to their city.
Bokrug There
José Monico
I couldn't get past the overly descriptive middle section of this story. Lovecraft has a way with engulfing a person into his enchantment. However, I think it was a bit overdone. While the Sarnath vividness was relished towards the end, perhaps it could have been been better composed? To be blunt, it got boring. It's obvious one is not supposed to know what are the geographical details of "Mnar", or "Ib"; or the personal stories of the great warriors, and many kings and nobles. But the informati ...more
Ten thousand years ago, the story goes, in the land of Mnar, the mighty city of Sarnath stood by the shores of a vast lake that was fed by no stream and out of which no stream flowed. Sarnath stands no more. From time immemorial before Sarnath stood a city named Ib, whose inhabitants were ugly and worshipped Bokrug, a great water lizard. In the day when the men of Sarnath destroyed the misshapen creatures of Ib, they cast not only their corpses but their stonework into the lake. The one exceptio ...more
Ten thousand years ago, in the remote Dreamlands region of Mnar, there was a vast lake, and on its shore stood the imperial city of men called Sarnath. Immemorial years before the building of Sarnath, however, the gray stone city of Ib overlooked the lake, peopled by beings who were green-skinned and flabby-lipped and bulging of eye and voiceless. It’s believed that lake and Ib and beings all came down from the moon one night. The beings worshipped the great water-lizard, Bokrug, and danced horr ...more
East Bay J
This book collects some of Lovecraft's "dream sequence" stories as well as some straight horror. Most of these predate "Call Of Cthulhu;" Lin Carter includes a chronology of the stories here and from the collection The Dream Quest Of Unknown Kadath, which I find interesting because you get a sense of Lovecraft's development as a writer.

Lots of good stuff here but the real standout for me was "Nyarlathotep." Lovecraft manages to convey a sense of terror in a (then) modern setting, telling of the
Pedro López
Lovely short Lovecraft tale describing the life of ancient cities along the fictional banks of the river Ai. Focusing mainly on Sarnath and neighboring city of Ib, where the readers learn of the cost of discrimination and acted-out fear. I enjoyed it thoroughly, it is short and tells the story it sets out to tell; what ever happened to Sarnath?
Gabriel C.
I really don't like Lin Carter's collections. I mean, I get it, he's super deep down the rabbit hole so he assumes you have whatever of Dunsany or Lovecraft is currently in print in 1970-whatever, and you only want obscura. But that means that these collections, if they're what survives, are full of the obscura and dance around the highest quality stuff. It also means that there is substantial overlap with other collections. I like those handsome hardcovers with the built in bookmark ribbons tha ...more
Stuart Slingsby
I didn't enjoy this short story because it wasn't what I expected. I expected a story of the Older Gods or the Elder Gods descending on a small town and bringing terror.

What I got was a history lesson of how a city came to be including wars. Sorry to say it as many people are fans of this story but I couldn't get into it.
A plot that could be described in a half sentence and endless descriptions including of course the sauces.... "Of sauces there were an untold number prepared by the subtlest of cooks ...." yikes!!! Could not get to the end fast enough.
Spooky and deeply descriptive; not many books today have the kind of descriptions that paint every scene, every place into your mind. I enjoyed it, but The Doom that Came to Sarnath was not my favorite H.P. Lovecraft tale.
A morality tale and a vivid description of the land of Mnar and Sarnath, but not really that scary at all. The description of the city was neat, at least. More of a myth than a 'Lovecraftian" horror.
This story reminds me of the tale of Atlantis, only waaaaaay darker. It's quite weird and Lovecraft's language is deliberately arcane. This story requires concentration to read.
Diego Claire Ulthar Sideral
Una época tan remota que sólo Lovecraft pudo grabarlo en papel para que nunca se olvide. Donde la Humanidad ya sufría las primeras demencias. <3
Alvaro Acevedo Barrios
Si quieres leer puros detalles, este es el relato indicado.
Re aburrido
Not much of a plot. Only has the descriptions and mood going for it. Probably pieced together postmortem.
Read in The Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
Tiago Lobo
If you are searching to expand your knowledge about the Cthulhu Mythos, this short tale is a good pick. If you, instead, are searching for the good old Lovecraft horror story, then I advice you to choose another one.
This story says a few words about Sarnath, a fallen city from millennia ago. How they fought the lizard-god adoring people, and how DOOM came to them years after. It is a good short and fast text, but do not expect horror. Just the feeling that something more lies in our world beside
vackert språk men lite pratig
A dark and interesting tale of revenge.

A conquering army steal a statue of a city's God, the plunder of war.

However, in a maelstrom of beautiful prose, Lovecraft weaves a story that draws you in and twists the world before your eyes.

Lovecraft creates these alternate worlds seemingly at whim and populates them with tension and terror.
Lovecraft is best when he shrugs off his most overtly Dunsanian influences. "The Festival," "The Nameless City," and some of the other later stories in this collection were the strongest, I felt. Certain stories started off dreadfully slow, but once the slow dread begins to creep in, it's worth it.
This short story is an enjoyable read in its own right, but is cluttered with excessive lore that's better suited to a full novel or series.

With that said, this is one of Lovecraft's earliest writings, and he was clearly still trying to find the best way to express his ideas.
Jonathan Bate

One of the more fairytale orientated stories H. P Lovecraft seems to occasionally do. Not all of them are bad in the slightest, but this one really drags itself about and bombards you with so much folklore myths and Tolkien style places and folk that it's too alienating.
Part of the "Pre-history" section of stories. This I felt to be truly creepy and horrific in the way that Lovecraft is famed for. Marvelous!
I'm hard to scare
Stevie King novels bore the shit out of me
he don't know fear
this guy does long live cthulu
This collection has some really great stuff in it, especially "The Tree," "Polaris," "The Festival," and "The Nameless City."
Fabio Vinicius Binder
A lot of good short stuff.
Sohail marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Raghad marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig'
  • The Sundering Flood
  • Figures of Earth
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • Weird Tales
  • Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley
  • Island of the Mighty
  • Hyperborea
  • Land of Unreason
  • Dark Destiny: Proprietors of Fate
  • Orlando Furioso: Part One
  • Legends from the End of Time (Eternal Champion, #13)
  • Future Lovecraft
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...