Start by marking “New Orleans Noir” as Want to Read:
New Orleans Noir

New Orleans Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Brand-new stories by: Thomas Adcock, Ace Atkins, Patty Friedmann, David Fulmer, Barbara Hambly, Greg Herren, Laura Lippman, Tim McLoughlin, James Nolan, Ted O'Brien, Eric Overmyer, Jeri Cain Rossi, Maureen Tan, Jervey Tervalon, Olympia Vernon, Christine Wiltz, Kalamu Ya Salaam, and Julie Smith.

Julie Smith is the author of two detective series set in New Orleans and an Edga
Published April 1st 2007 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about New Orleans Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Orleans Noir

jo
i really enjoyed this book. who knows, maybe i would not have loved it as much without katrina, but katrina happened, ain't a thing i can do about it, unfortunately.

noir, broadly defined (is intrinsically linked to a deep (if possibly controversial) attachment to the city and its neighborhoods, so i think the format, of dividing the stories by neighborhoods, works well. the city, as in many of the stories here, especially the post-katrina ones, is a city that's going to seed. at the same time, t
Adam
Feb 26, 2013 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone familiar enough with the many neighborhoods of New Orleans
A wonderfully eerie peek into the many neighborhoods and lives of New Orleans.

I had no idea what New Orleans Noir was other than a collection of short stories about my favorite adopted city. And, it took me half of the book to realize the common theme running through each story - as a friend pointed out the seemingly odd pattern of a dead body turning up in each. I guess I thought it just sounded like New Orleans. Perhaps that's the point.

New Orleans Noir offers a dark glimpse of an all-too-comm
Wilhelmina Jenkins
Like most topical collections, this collection of noir short stories set in New Orleans was inconsistent in quality. The book is divided into pre-Katrina and post-Katrina sections, and I generally found the post-Katrina stories to be the superior ones. There are enough good stories here to make this book a worthwhile read.
Jessica AKA Riley
Mar 08, 2008 Jessica AKA Riley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love New Orleans.
Recommended to Jessica by: Saints and Sinners Festival
It takes me forever to read short story collections. This book is no exception to that habit. I attribute this slow-reading to the fact that I read one to two short stories per sitting so there is nothing to make me want to go back to reading more. No cliffhangers at the end of chapters, no curious sense of whodunit. There’s also the problem of certain stories just not being that great. Maybe there was a great setup followed by a bad ending, or a boring setup that finally hit a home run with a t ...more
trickgnosis
I really enjoyed this. It may have helped that I actually read a good bit of it while in New Orleans, not to mention all the time I've spent there over the years. Like any collection it has its relative strengths and weaknesses but overall there were far more pleasant surprises than disappointments. The idea of noir is obviously used in a very loose sense, really just a synonym for crime/mystery. As this is the first I've read in the series, I assume this is the case with all the entries in the ...more
Charlie
Like most short story collections, "New Orleans Noir" is uneven. The stories are divided first into two volumes, pre- and post-Katrina, and then by region within New Orleans, giving you a taste of a variety of neighborhoods within the city. Some of the stories are fantastic, "Loot" and "Two-story Brick Houses" among them, most are fair to middling, and some are incredibly bad. One of the worst stories in the collection is baffingly the one chosen to represent the French Quarter, the area most id ...more
April Hedges
I am a fan of Akashic Books in general, and I've sampled the stories in the other Noir collections, but this is the first one I've read cover to cover, mostly because I am from Louisiana. Overall, the collection is fantastic. There were a few stories that I didn't love, but I'm not sorry I read a single one of them, and I didn't outright hate any. The story "Two-Story Brick Houses" is worth the price of the anthology alone.

If you choose this one, be sure that you understand that it is "noir" -
Bess Eckstein
Great short stories! As with any compilation, some were better than others - but I read every single one of them, and I don't think I've ever done that before with a collection.
Rebecca Martin
Looks promising. I'm reading the "Before the levees broke" section right now. Finished the first two stories last night. There are eight more stories in this section; then begins "Life in Atlantis." "Life in Atlantis" does not strike me as a good title: "Atlantis" has too many other associations, some of them positive. "Atlantis" was a land underwater, but I'm hoping for a more profound connection than that.

Later--yes, this is a strong collection that looks at pre- and post- and during-Katrina N
Elli
This is part of a collection of noir short stories, original noir collections each book representing a city, and each story from a neighborhood within that city. All are brand new and written for the occasion. I've read several of them off and on and have liked some of them. New Orleans is the only one however in which I have never been to the city but have always been fascinated with it. It is divided into two parts, pre-katrina and post. The stories are vivid and some authors I've very much li ...more
Mary Sue
Sep 08, 2008 Mary Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the curious
Recommended to Mary Sue by: Amazon
My lower rating is because I just don't like short stories. A few of my favorite authors contributed to this collection, so I took a chance. The first half of the volume is pre-Katrina, the far superior second half is post-Katrina. I had been wondering why there isn't more literature out there about the storm and aftermath. In the forward Julie Smith gave me a clue, writers living there were so stunned that it took awhile to get past living day to day. I have to admit that my opinion of short st ...more
Billye
I am a huge fan of the entire City Noir series.

New Orleans Noir is a very different volume because the stories depict or are inspired by the Hurricane Katrina and its horrible aftermath.

The stories are very diverse and together they create a clear picture of the mixture of cultures and varying degrees of wealth found throughout the region. I learned a lot from this book.

I would recommend this book to people who are interested learning about Post Katrina New Orleans primarily and to readers wh
Serena Asta
Can't get enough of this series.
Rosanna
Apr 21, 2008 Rosanna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories all related to the Big Easy. I joined a book club and we read exclusively about NOLA or New Orleans authors and it is a great way to feel you belong to a city and to get to know it. If you just moved, consider the same. I'm half way through and the stories are well written and edited. No wasted words or time. They are getting into my head. I recommend this book for a flight or vacation. It would be perfect.
Lori
This was a very good collection of short stories about New Orleans. The book is in 2 parts - the first part is short stories pre-Katrina and the second is stories post-Katrina. Of course, being noir, they all involved crime of some sort. Some on the humorous side, some very dark. A couple made me angry. Noir really fits New Orleans, too. There are other cities in this series, but I think it suits New Orleans best.
Joe
Like most short story collections, these offerings present a mixed bag of dark crime stories. However with one great exception, the best ones are current - dealing with New Orleans, post-Katrina, and the opportunities to get away with murder and other crimes. Julie Smith is the editor of this fine collection, herself a really excellent teller of New Orleans bad actors and their subsequent capture.
Chris
I've been to New Orleans twice, both times pre-Katrina. It's like Washington, DC, my home town, in some respects. You either love it or hate it. These stories not only are dark, they have a lot of anguish. The book divides the stories in half by time with Katrina being the great divide. However, the stories on both sides of this storm line are equally dark and noir-ish.
Chris Wharton
Short story collection, written on consignment for the City Noir series. New Orleans a good source city. Read during Thanksgiving trip to Mississippi and New Orleans. Various high and dark crimes and misdemeanors, before (some back to 19th century) and during/after Katrina, covering all classes, colors, ethnics, genders, in NO neighborhood settings.
Katie
The stories in this collection are kind of hit or miss. Some are really good mysteries - they're dark, moody and gripping. Others are very disturbing without having a good plot to make up for it. The book does a very good job of capturing different aspects of New Orleans as a vibrant, living city, but many of the stories just weren't up to snuff.
Valerie
was really lovely. The book offered an insight to people and the on-goings during the Katrina catastrophe, as well as other time periods to which New Orleans was alive. This collection of vivid story tel-lings was compelling, and made our trip down south all the more interesting.
Sara Bower
I really enjoyed how the format of the book was broken up into several short stories. It captures the different neighborhoods in New Orleans. Although, it may be difficult for some poeple to understand the characters unless you are from the area.
Yvonne
overall really disappointing. much of the writing is poor and/or in DIRE need of editing. There are some gems in here though and the project itself - one story each from one writer, all from different neighborhoods in the city - is worthwhile.
Katherine Johnston
I'm living in NOLA for the summer, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the place while here - hence the theme of my books. This is a bunch of short stories that take place pre and post Katrina in different areas of the city.
Paul
Dec 07, 2008 Paul marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up cuz my girl Jeri Cain Rossi has an essay in it. I haven't been in touch with JCR in a few years but it's good to see she's still writing. Check out Angel With a Criminal Kiss or Red, Wine, Moan for more...
Katie Lowry
Maybe my love of noir & the fact that New Orleans is totemic to me set the bar too high. Most of the stories were mediocre at best, and the majority weren't noir at all. It felt forced and wrong, like the McDonalds on Canal.
Alexander Lesher
A lot of fun. Some great stories, some weaker -- as with any of these conventions. The similar focus and the different takes made it really interesting and granted me new perspective on the area.
Erik
Half the stories are from pre-Katrina, half post-. The post- ones are great, though I can't help but feel that the town lends itself to stronger noir stories than are presented here.
Dwayne Ackley
Great book! Part of a series of books that have short stories tied to specific urban areas. All these books give a good feel for small neighborhoods in big cities.
Lisa
I don't usually enjoy short stories, but I read this just before and while in New Orleans and it was great fun to recognize streets and areas mentioned in the stories.
Redsteve
An excellent collection of NOLA-based short stories (about 50/50 pre- and post- Storm). Selections include Valentine St Cyr and Benjamin January stories.
  • Istanbul Noir
  • Haiti Noir
  • San Francisco Noir
  • Havana Noir
  • Bronx Noir
  • Delhi Noir (Akashic Noir)
  • Mumbai Noir
  • The French Quarter: An Informal History of the New Orleans Underworld
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Phoenix Noir
  • D.C. Noir
  • French Quarter Fiction: The Newest Stories of America's Oldest Bohemia
  • Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)
  • Kingston Noir
Author of 20 mystery novels and a YA paranormal adventure called BAD GIRL SCHOOL (formerly CURSEBUSTERS!). Nine of the mysteries are about a female New Orleans cop Skip Langdon, five about a San Francisco lawyer named Rebecca Schwartz,two about a struggling mystery writer named Paul Mcdonald (whose fate no one should suffer) and four teaming up Talba Wallis, a private eye with many names, a poetic ...more
More about Julie Smith...

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)
New Orleans Mourning (Skip Langdon, #1) The Axeman's Jazz (Skip Langdon, #2) Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3) New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon, #4) House of Blues (Skip Langdon, #5)