Start by marking “80/20 Principle” as Want to Read:
80/20 Principle

80/20 Principle

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  12,647 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
How anyone can be more effective with less effort by learning how to identify and leverage the 80/20 principle--the well-known, unpublicized secret that 80 percent of all our results in business and in life stem from a mere 20 percent of our efforts.
The 80/20 principle is one of the great secrets of highly effective people and organizations.
Did you know, for example, tha
Published November 4th 2008 by Broadway Business (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about 80/20 Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 80/20 Principle

Quinn
Sep 03, 2010 Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give it five out of five but here's the deal. I think the book itself follows the 80/20 rule. 20% of the book gives you 80% of the value. Do this: Read a short definition of the 80/20 rule on the web. Skip to chapter 9 and begin reading the book. Stop when you finish chapter 11. Read 13 and then skim the rest of the book.

So if you do that the book is 5 out of 5 stars and if you read the whole thing I'd give it like 2.5 stars.
Chad Warner
Apr 22, 2012 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: 50 Self-Help Classics
This book is a truly enlightening and motivating look at productivity, time management, and happiness. It shows how to apply the 80/20 Principle to your personal and professional life in order to work less, earn more, enjoy more, and achieve more. The main idea: in business and personal life, “pursue those few things where you are amazingly better than others and that you enjoy most,” and eliminate or outsource everything else. This has immediately become one of my favorite self-improvement book ...more
Nyssa Silvester
Jan 27, 2015 Nyssa Silvester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You'd think that someone who champions efficiency would write a book that wasn't so full of repetition and assumptions.

Just read the summary. Do that, and you get 95% of the book's benefit in only 0.01% of the time! I think Koch would be proud.
Nicholas
Oct 04, 2008 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Pavel Annenkov
Jan 29, 2017 Pavel Annenkov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книга после прочтения сразу вошла в мой ТОП50 лучших книг. Жалко, что не прочитал её раньше. До многих вещей, которые есть в книге, доходил долго сам годами. И есть моменты над которыми мне ещё надо поработать.
Vijai
Jan 09, 2013 Vijai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thoughtprovoking
For those proclaiming this book to be life-saver, you will be in for a shock to know that what this book expounds is but only one among gazillion other data analysis methods.

Let me explain, there is data and there is information. What you do to the data and in appropriate context makes it information. What the author has expounded in this book is that ‘a little of something causes so much of everything” or rather has stamped an approval (it was not his original idea, remember, only the name “80
Mike
Jul 29, 2011 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's a good side to this book and there's a bad side to this book. Good side first. Ever since reading the book I've put 80/20 thinking to use, that is to say that cause and effect are rarely linked in an equal way. 80% of the world's energy is consumed by 15% of the world's people, 80% of hospital costs come from 20% of the patients, 80% of your sales come from 20% of your products etc. It's not so much the "80" and "20" that are the point with this book, it's the theme that the inputs are n ...more
Walter
Aug 21, 2011 Walter marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the "work smarter not harder principle" and runs with it, expands it. The central premise is that there is likely a huge imbalance in the effectiveness of your actions (for example, 20% of what you do may be producing 80% of your results) and you should learn what that 20% is - what it tells you about what you are best suited to do - and double and triple down.

There are a lot of chapters that discuss situations in businesses very different from what I do that weren't as engaging
Goulo
Jun 18, 2010 Goulo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's OK, but rather repetitive and long-winded at times. The basic point is good and useful: different activities give different value, so it can be useful to focus on the stuff that is most useful and stop doing the other crap. It applies to economics, software development, and all kinds of other areas of life.

As the author mentions, the 80/20 principle is well-known in certain disciplines, including software development (which I have experience in), so the basic concepts were not so radical or
Ben
Jul 24, 2012 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I get it. 80% results from 20% effort. I got it before reading this book. Nothing new was shared, there's not really much more to it than that.
I read 100 pages of un-credited examples, made up company names and far reaching generalizations. The point was made through the title alone. The table of contents added some details and ideas on where this phenomena can be found, but really, there was nothing profound here outside of 80/20 itself.
I skimmed the last half of the book hoping something woul
Dessy
Feb 20, 2014 Dessy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book presents the theory of imbalance. Once you get acquainted with the general idea, it should be easy for you to spot the correlation between cause and effect in anything you do.

Whether you will find the book insightful and its ideas relevant will greatly depend on the way you read. True, the book gets quite repetitive at times so I reckon that you use the very same approach to reading it that the book itself recommends. Get the principle and skip to the chapters that are relevant to you
Alexander Fitzgerald
As someone who must make their living from owning a small business, but does not really care for much of the commerce culture, Richard Koch's book is a breath of fresh air. He gives great examples for how most of us could achieve more with less.

His central theory goes back to the Pareto principle, which is most distributions in life follow an 80/20 rule. The natural state of systems and the Earth is one of imbalance. By trying to understand this inequality, as opposed to bemoaning it's existence
Ovi from nugget
Oct 29, 2015 Ovi from nugget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get your Shortcut to Success with The 80/20 Principle

80/20 Thinking is used to change behaviour and,to concentrate on the most important 20 per cent.

I found out about the 80/20 principle while doing research for a time management course. And it struck me like one of the best ways of dealing with the pressures of modern life.

After a brief analysis of dedicated websites, I had the surprise to find out that this principle is, in fact, mentioned in many top-business books. Richard Koch’s book is one of the best proofs for the big interest on 80/20 principle’s topic....more
Kasia
Aug 28, 2012 Kasia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
I like the idea of it: great concept, great title. Steers you away from perfectionism, stops from getting lost in the details, done is better than perfect, some is better than none. Does that sound like a platitude?

That's because it is one. Much as the 80/20 book. Vacuous and repetitive. If you want to read it, I advise to use the advertised principle and skim through the 20% of it. The remaining 80% won't bring any insights.

And guess what? The 80-20 split is very arbitrary, the author openly
Pascal Wagner
The concept of the 80/20 principle was an interesting one and the ways he supported this principle were interesting. But as he repeated his point over and over again I wanted to smack myself. He could have packed the same analysis in 50% the book.

Summary: It's OK, but rather repetitive and long-winded at times. The basic point is good and useful: different activities give different value, so it can be useful to focus on the stuff that is most useful and stop doing the inefficient/ineffective one
Alexis
Jun 20, 2013 Alexis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I wanted a lot more from this book, which was recommended to me by my sleep dr. It had some good reminders in it, but I feel like I'm already doing a lot of the principles. However, it was a good reminder to slow down and that you can achieve a lot without being busy and overexerting oneself. Also a good reminder to cut a lot of unnecessary crap.

Hmmm, maybe it was more useful to me than I thought.
Dinah
May 13, 2011 Dinah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
Unfortunately an illustration of its own principle: 20% valuable content with a lot of padding and assumptions.

Kudos to Koch for brave honesty in the end section discussing critiques of the original edition – even printing some negative reviews in full – and responding to them.
Zora
Feb 18, 2016 Zora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as the top-rated review says to, by reading less than half but getting almost everything from this partial reading. This is not another time management book but something radical, revolutionary, and hedonistic. I used to live an 80/20 life. I hope to return to it soon
Melissawong
I'm very disappointed because I find neither thought-provoking questions nor practical applications which I can apply in my life immediately. However, I believe that it's a good principle. I found an online article which is more useful than the first three chapters I read.
Michael
Jan 01, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the words of Peter Drucker, "Efficiency is doing things right, effectiveness is doing the right things." This book is about discovering and executing the right things.
Cristiano Ranalletta
Apprezzabile, mi stupisco sempre della capacità degli americani di scrivere così tante pagine su un concetto stranoto.
Alex Vtn
Oct 14, 2016 Alex Vtn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights. 1st half was interesting, though overtly analytical at times. 2nd Half: highlighted every single page...
Abe Schmidt
20% useful information. 80% common knowledge.
David
Apr 30, 2011 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cask-wine
boring. Talking book, couldnt get into it. Seemed to be making a big fuss about the obvious
Ann Mur
I agreed with many of the reviews here stating that this book proved its own point by being 20% gold and 80% fluff. Fluff is too generous- I actually think 80% was just a plain waste, sometimes even detrimental.
But let's not dwell on that. Here are the tidbits I want to take with me:
-"The 80/20 Principle asserts that a minority of cause, input, or effort usually lead to a majority of the results, outputs, or rewards." A good definition. IE <=20% of efforts can contribute to >=80% of the r
Scott Dinsmore
Mar 14, 2010 Scott Dinsmore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why You Should Read It: The principles in this book can literally add hours to your days and compound your happiness. It’s worth a look. What’s more important than having time?

Average Read Time: 4.5 Minutes

We’ve all surely heard of the 80/20 Principle, or Pareto’s Law as it’s more formally known. It goes something like this:

80% of the results come from 20% of the effort.
It’s often thrown around in business as nothing more than a buzzword. Few actually do a full 80/20 analysis of their business a
Philip
Dec 01, 2016 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was too verbose and could have said the same thing in about 20% of the number of pages. It's very true that people do waste a lot of time at work and in life when they could eliminate unimportant things. Instead they could do things that improve their quality of life and work most. His application to products companies produce or to their customer base was very useful. I think it is something that managers in companies or those overseeing various product lines should read.

And as he stat
Fred Grannan
Jan 25, 2017 Fred Grannan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Many good theories about where to focus your efforts for success. I personally find it hard to wrap my brain around extending much of this to the extent identified, but I can also see where that would work for some. Worth a quick read, providing thought provoking and potentially positive nuggets of wisdom.
Steve
Dec 14, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great content and very useful concept.

However, I was very taken aback by the presentation. The narrative is very much like an infomercial. Some of the recommended applications of the 80/20 principal are over simplified and would not be as easily implemented as the author suggests.

Still highly recommend for the general understanding of 80/20 principal and it's benefits.
Petrisor Hontaru
Feb 13, 2017 Petrisor Hontaru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He explains the principle really well and does give some business related examples. However the definitions are very repetitive which I did find very annoying and it seems a bit outdated at times. There are a couple of really useful exercises and ways of how to apply the principle to everyday life.
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy

“Those who seize the day become seriously rich.” 10 likes
“It may be that you will be happiest in the rat race; perhaps, like me, you are basically a rat.” 3 likes