Start by marking “The Friends We Keep: A Woman's Quest for the Soul of Friendship” as Want to Read:
The Friends We Keep: A Woman's Quest for the Soul of Friendship

The Friends We Keep: A Woman's Quest for the Soul of Friendship

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Why are women’s friendships so tricky?

During a particularly painful time in her life, Sarah Zacharias Davis learned how delightful–and wounding–women can be in friendship. She saw how some friendships end badly, others die slow deaths, and how a chance acquaintance can become that enduring friend you need.

The Friends We Keep is Sarah’s thoughtful account of her own story a
Published July 21st 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Friends We Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friends We Keep

Lorie
I wouldn't read this book again or suggest it. I felt like it was alot based on what she thought plus she quoted more people and their books, thoughts, quotes. When looking for this it came up under religion but rarely did she use the Bible.
Freda mans
In all actuality, when I first saw this book I didn't take it seriously. I tell you, by the end of, I really agreed with the author on many levels, and felt connected to the book. I learned quite a bit about my own relationships and friendships, and why us women do some of the things we do. This book opened my eyes, to try to be a better friend to everyone. Even the people with whom I'd rather not.
A very inspiring book, but only if you are female. I just don't think the men in the world would re
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
This book was about - you guessed it - friends. But not just any friends - women and their friends. Why we need them, how we make them, how we keep them, and even why we lose them.

Each chapter shared some one's story that was relevant to the point that the author was trying to make. A lot of the stories I could relate to, or at the very least, knew someone who would fit in it. She explores a lot of the different sides to friendships, like the different ways we can love a friend, why we might nee
Heather
In her book, The Friends We Keep, Sarah Zacharias Davis expresses the complex nature of female friendships. This book is an inside look at the varying degrees of friendship and how they all blend together to shape us into the women we’ve become.
Sarah Zacharias Davis references books, plays and movies that capture the depths of friendship. Using many great examples, she writes about the ups and downs that all relationships face. She confront the necessity of betrayal and the conflicts that pull a
gina
I wonder if I had the abridged version... it felt very short and ended abruptly. But, a lot of audio books feel awkward because (at least, with nonfiction) you don't have a preview of what what the chapters will be covering, and you can't see the end approaching and prepare for that. So when it ended I thought my mp3 player had died.

There are a lot of good points in here, though I'm not sure I absorbed it all that well. Since it's so short I may just check out the book or listen to it again. It
Debi
"The fact is sometimes we are let down by our friends. Intentions may be good, efforts misguided, or they may have nothing left to give, and the result is simply that they are unable to be there for us in the ways we expect them to be."
"...there are times in friendship...when we need to simply accept what people are able to give. That is part of being a friend; in fact, that is part of living among others in any type of community. It is necessary to put away the expectations, the goals, the fixi
Elizabeth
This book is about female friendships. Why we make them, why we keep and how we lose them. In this book, Ms Zacharis explores some of the pain, joys and difficulties of female friendships. As much as we love and need our friends, sometimes we can't stand them. Why is that? This book was both joyful and difficult to read because while I enjoyed the author's take on the whole issue, I felt some pain because it caused me examine what kind of a friend I am. I really enjoyed this book because it.
Don Weidinger
live authentically, journey with friends, have a friend be a friend, book Saving Graces, ying yang of relationships, ole chap, connection community, junior high behaviors, forgive because forgiven, see God in others and self.
Cary
This book was a very good read. It had many questions and even has you asking your own. It's not a 'here's how you fix it' book as it gives you perspective, incite. Makes you ask the hard questions and answer honestly. This is a book Id keep by my bed. Friendship isn't easy, neither is gardening, but it is worth it!
Sydney
I thought Davis had a few interesting things to say, but seemed to me to raise more questions than answers. I really liked the first chapter, but after that, the book went downhill and I didn't even finish the last chapter. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this book, but whatever it was went unmet. There wasn't actually a quest involved, or a process for searching out a Soul Friend, just talk about how sometimes you need to let friends go.
Clockstein Lockstein
The Friends We Keep by Sarah Zacharias Davis is a fascinating look at the friendships women carry with them throughout their lives and a glimpse into why they are so important. Davis' book is a warm-hearted and enjoyable read that delves into questions about exactly what creates and maintains a friendship. Why are some friends with us for life and others only for a season? What purpose does friendship serve? She uses movies, books, and anthropology to explain what friendship looks like and how i ...more
Sara Stevens-stehl
Thought provoking as I find myself with many dear friends who all live a significant distance away. Helped me identify what I value in friendship in ways I hadn't before.
Kristi
This is a thoughtful book about the friendships of women...at all ages, for any and all reasons. Favorite chapters are The Spaces Between Us and Companions Along the Journey. I've lost some friends over the past 2 years, regained two in a great, much deeper way. These chapters ask all the questions I did when these friendships were slipping through my fingers...maybe it was simply time to let go. I wish I had read this book sooner but it is wonderful to year and Sarah Zacharias Davis is a wonder ...more
Shannon
I guess I was hoping that the author would have her father's profound insight and conclusiveness on an interpersonal subject. Perhaps it was my own state of mind during this time period, but it reads similarly to the way I think: a set of vignettes related to one subject without a conclusion. While many of the observations ring true to my own experience, I was looking for a uniting thread or a biblical foundation or a conclusion that simply isn't here. I doubt I'll revisit this book.
Deb Blackbourn
Jun 10, 2012 Deb Blackbourn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girl Scout leaders, teachers, anyone in a leadership role, sisters, anyone!
I really enjoyed it! I have a group of friends that I have been friends with for decades! One from 7 yrs. old, and 4 since 12 yrs. old. I'm going to recommend they all read it and then we can go over the discussion questions. I think it should be read by anyone who is a friend. There were many things that were mentioned in the book I could relate to. I'm going to suggest it to teachers, Girl Scout leaders and other people in leadership roles. Wonderful! Wonderful!!
Jessica
Nov 24, 2009 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
This book was a interesting look at friendship in particular related to Christian women. The author does a good job of covering various aspects of friendship in each chapter - even a chapter on being your own self-friend and why that's important. Overall, a more in-depth look at Christian friendship and why it's important.
Liz
This author disappointed me. Too many references to movie characters in the first chapter. Then an evolutionistic type story shared in the second chapter. Where is the Bible in this? I can't read any more. This book wasn't for me.
Johanna
Thoughtful and full of relevant comparisons. I wished it were more of a do's and dont's kind of book, but none the less, it made me take a long look in the mirror.
Worth reading.
Kahri Lynn
Not as good of a book as I was hoping. Had a few good points but nothing new added to the other non-fiction friendship books I have read.
Maria
A very interesting read, gave me a lot of insight into how friendships begin, grow, and fade over different seasons of life.
Julie
It was so-so. I'm not a feminist. Maybe would have like it better if I were. Disappointed.
Cindy
way more christian than I can enjoy . . . some good points, glad it was short.
Christa
it changed my outlook on friendship and the bond that women share. I will never look at life the same way since I've enconntered this book
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Charlene Ngo
Charlene Ngo marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
C/Sbooklover
C/Sbooklover marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Thobi
Thobi marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Confessions from an Honest Wife: On the Mess, Mystery & Miracle of Marriage Transparent: Getting Honest About Who We Are And Who We Want To Be