Invisible Darkness Invisible Darkness

Invisible Darkness Invisible Darkness

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  806 ratings  ·  61 reviews
"Invisible Darkness" is the story of one of the more bizarre cases in recent memory--killings so sensational that they prompted the Canadian government, in the interests of justice, to silence itsnational press and to lock foreign journalists out of the courts.
To all appearances, Paul and Karla Bernardo had a fairytale marriage--beautiful working-class girl weds brightupp...more
Published August 26th 2009 by Bantam (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Darkness Invisible Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Darkness Invisible Darkness

Delilah
It is very difficult to write a true crime novel in this day and age without having it be sensationalist, and I won't go so far as to say that Williams has achieved Helter Skelter levels of journalistic integrity with Invisible Darkness, but the fact of the matter is that for true crime, this is a well-written piece. The case itself is fascinating from the get-go, and the author pulls no punches as he narrates the compelling depravity from as far back as he could reach. I've read hundreds of boo...more
Dawn Kemmerlin
Disturbing. Period. I'd never read it again and want it out of my house as soon as possible! It's not the author or the writing. It's the subject matter and how Karla Homolka was given a slap on the wrist for being a sick, twisted, incestuous pedophile rapist. Her family is sick as well and seem completely out of touch with reality. It scares me to think there are people like Karla and her family that walk among us. She has been released and is married and has children. I can't figure out who wo...more
Wendy W
I clearly remember what led up to these two monsters being arrested. I remember how the media was not allowed to write anything about what happened in court or anything to do with what these two did. In Canada that is. In the USA books were written that gave even more graphic descriptions of the crimes they committed agains three young women, Karla's sister included. I followed, as much as possible , what was going on during the trial. I was outraged, like many other people, to find that there w...more
Tyler
I reluctantly give this book 5 stars. How can I really rate this book when I've never read any others on the case? Anyway, from what I gleaned from it, I really enjoyed (kind of) reading it. I am not going to bother explaining what the book is about. By now, you probably know. Rather I'll just make a few short comments.

Only kind of because there were times when the book was a bit heavy to read. Many of the reviewers complain of graphic deal. That is complete and utter nonsense. Or perhaps I have...more
This book is really infuriating, actually, because Homolka, who was probably more culpable than Bernardo and should have spent the rest of her life in a supermax (uh, hello, she helped rape and kill her own sister!), got away with a relative slap on the wrist because the authorities were too goddamn stupid to believe that a woman could be anything but a poor innocent abused victim of a man. Last I looked, she was out of prison, remarried, with a kid of her own. That should scare the hell out of...more
Julie Levenhagen
This true crime novel was a compelling, albeit disturbing, read. What set this book apart from other true crime novels was that it was written in a fiction-like narrative. I really went down the rabbit hole with this, and watched some interviews with both Karla and Paul. I will forever be confounded as to how Karla Homolka has managed to put so many people- men, women- under her spell when she is so obviously a sociopath. Her dead-eyed retelling of the crimes is truly haunting. This book is not...more
Lillie
Incredibly detailed, but somewhat disjointed in the execution. The narrative flips back and forth from Bernardo and Homolka, to their victims, to the amazingly inept police investigation, to various people that existed in Bernardo and Homolka's universe. While the author spared no expense in describing the details of the couple's crimes, it was also done in such a way that had no empathy or sympathy for the victims. Many passages were extremely disturbing.
Arlene
although i am giving this book a high rating, I have to save that it is mainly due to its affect on me which was profoundly disturbing..this all took place in the region where i reside..as residents of this area, we were constantly reminded of these horrendous crimes on a daily basis from the local news .. I don't know why but i was compelled to finish this read..
Bob
An apology I feel is necessary. I am fascinated/repulsed by real crime. I never cease to be amazed by what people can do, are capable of. Way past what any fiction writer can imagine for them. I know not everyone feels this way. This case is unique, and little known outside of Canada. Again, it's fascinating, but I understand not for everyone.
Amy
It was alright... Kinda repetitive of the other ones I've read.
Jenna Galves
A bit slow and boring at times but overall an interesting read.
Railyn
Apr 16, 2014 Railyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sadists
Shelves: true-crime
Oy. Where do I start?

I always found the Barnardo/Homolka case interesting. I first heard about it on an episode of "Autopsy" on HBO a number of years ago. So when I got on a reading kick, I decided to finally check this one out.

I got about 3/4 of the way through it, and I struggled. It's not particularly well written, in terms of style. For some reason, the author has a particular beef with anything associated with the Niagara Falls area. He is also very fond of the phrase "he/she had an open fa...more
Tom Mueller
Disturbing look at a serial killer couple. Karla Homolka served only 12 years after turning evidence against her husband, Paul Bernardo. The "deal with the devil" Canadian prosecution made with Homolka is truly appalling. A posit made by authorities has it that Williams had access to banned tapes of the couple's abuse of more than four victims' rape and abuse by the couple. Victims included Karla's teenage sister. Conjecture that copies of videos exist on black market.
Jack Ketchum based Weed spe...more
Lynn Fergusson
This book was a very detailed and very disturbing read. I had to stop reading a couple of times to try and get rid of some of the images in my head after reading descriptions of what were shown on the videotapes. The book elicited a lot of emotions from me,mostly anger and disgust at these two narcissistic, evil people who thought they could treat these young girls as playthings. I don't believe for a moment that Karla Homolka was the victim of abuse and forced into doing these things against he...more
Astrid Jakobs
I thought a book about the Holmolka/Bernardo thing would be exciting. Wrong! It was totally boring. Like snoozeville. I would read it to lull me to sleep. It just showed me something I always suspected was true and am learning with every true-crime book I read: the police (no matter where you are) are totally incompetent and the judicial system (no matter where you are) is tedious and chock-ful (choc-full?) of red-tape.
Nicko
Extremely graphic yet this book is a warning to all that the most dangerous psychopath might be the normal-looking person next door (and isn't it always the case?).

I really enjoyed the narrative style but the book does not get the full five stars due to the many typos and grammatical error that were somehow missed during editing.

If you enjoy true crime and can stomach some pretty graphic scenes this book is a must read.
Marcia
I hate not finishing a book that I've started but I had to give up on this one. The writing wasn't bad but I just could NOT deal with the contents. I like true crime; it's one of my favorite genres. I like to scare myself and I also like to try and understand what makes people act so inhumanly. I knew, going in, about the Paul Bernardo and Karla Homulka murders/rapes; I knew I was going to be reading about heinous crimes. I don't have a problem with some graphic details, but this book took it to...more
Rebecca  Porter
Pretty much the best book there is on the Bernardo-Homolka case. Great writing, thorough investigation and stomach-churning details that will haunt the reader forever. It is unbelievable that Karla Homolka pulled off what she did and reading this book stirs real anger about that, as it should. These two may have a low body count when they are compared to some killer couples, but their crimes are no less shocking or disgusting. Bernardo will likely rot in jail forever but to know that Homolka is...more
Tammy
Great book but twisted details!

The book was well written and tells the story the public never heard. The details are almost too much to read, they are so disturbing. I don't want to read another book like this.
Rose Anna
Disturbing to read, but good to know what happened.
Tim
Best true crime ever
Tracy Hansen
Mar 04, 2011 Tracy Hansen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this back in November and have had to take breaks from it, unlike most true crime stuff I read. This is most likely due to the fact that I consider these two to be two of the scummiest beings on the planet. And the fact that Karla's sentence ended the way it did...ugh...

It is an excellent read though when you can bear it because it's very no holds barred. There is a special place in Hell for these two. There's only a few people I feel very sure of that about and they a few of t...more
Wendy
What else can you say about these sick freaks? As a girl that was Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy's age back when they went missing in the same province, it was scary walking home from school or going to a friend's house.

Reading about how they committed their vile crimes was a real eye opener as to what really happened. It's a book you only read once but was well written and well researched.

I wish Karla was rotting in prison forever and so glad Paul is.
Jenny
Jul 22, 2007 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that study serial killers
This book is about Karla Homolka & Paul Bernardo. They were a married couple that raped and murdered several young girls in Canada. Karla Homolka turned her husband in and claimed to be an innocent victim, but is later found to have participated in many of the deaths. Including that of her own sister!

Karla Homolka is now out of jail!!!! And has a baby of her own.

Read this book and decide for yourself how guilty you think she really was.
Rachelle
Picked this up when I first moved to Toronto, since I had never paid attention to the case at the time it was going on (I was only a teenager myself, not interested in news, and lived in Nova Scotia so I don't even remember hearing much about it). Found this book so disturbing, but a good read. Started freaking me out when I'd drive on a street where Paul supposedly lived, or committed a crime...not for the light-at-heart.

Angela
Angel Early
Oct 01, 2008 Angel Early rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Crime Readers
Very interesting read & I find it amazing how 2 people can find each other that are into such sadistic actions. If my husband came to me wanting to kidnap, torture, rape, & murder someone, I would freak out!!! Plus to tape it all is just strange. These people have NO feelings or emotions what-so-ever! I can't see how someone could be that way. Something off in their brain when it comes to emotions & empathy.
Krystal
I read this while I was on hospitalized bedrest when I was pregnant with my second child. I found the book quite intriguing considering how popular this case was, it was interesting to find out how much Karla actually had to do with the murder and kidnapping of their victims, if you think Paul was the sicker and more twisted of the two you need to read this book to gain much more perspective.
Alena
This was a tale of the world's most disturbing couple. One was fire and the other was gasoline, put together, they killed three people. Sick and twisted. And to think that Karla testifying put Paul away and saved herself. Our own police couldn't put them both away for life. Sad! Now Karla is out of prison and has a son of her own.
Lauren
This book did a good job of telling the horrific tale of Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo. I find it completly infuriating that she got off with the light sentence she did and that she is now free to go about her every day life.

The stories of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy are deeply ingrained in my heart and mind.
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Deadly Innocence
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • Cruel Deception
  • Cellar of Horror
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • House Of Secrets
  • Perfect Victim: The True Story of "The Girl in the Box"
A direct descendant of Horace Greeley who said "Go West, young man, go West" (whereupon Greeley went East and founded "The New York Tribune" for which Karl Marx became a stringer,)

Stephen Williams began his writing career in his early teens after noting the hypnotic effect the lyrics from Bob Dylan's first album had on women and reading "Les Sous sond fait" by John Paul Satre.

First published at 1...more
More about Stephen Williams...
Karla: A Pact with the Devil